Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Delusibeta posted:

You won't read your own posts. The argument was that the 360 version would have multiple times more players than the Xbone. That's not true, but it is arguably true for PS3 vs PS4 (PS3 was roughly 1.5 times more populated than the PS4 version). Combine the figures and 360+PS3 was 65k while Xbone+PS4 was 48k. I would not be surprised if Titanfall has similar proportion of population between 360 and Xbone.

Yeah that post is a lot of absolutely nothing. I've got some bad news about the ps3 and ps4 versions of titanfall for you... they are delayed.

Heres my point broken down as simply as I can do it.

My numbers were 42k for the 360 / 37 for bone, yours are 23k 360/ 17 bone. Now heres the important bit, the active player bases aren't vastly different on each platform - leading to my final conclusion that the titanfall active player numbers may not directly mirror the 3million vs 80 million install base.

Let me know if you don't understand.

Edit: Yeah they tweeted a few days ago about no open beta, but they wont tell anyone how you can get a code yet. If that French magazine was right then the beta should start in 8 days.

Crafty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Spacedad posted:

It really does look like the real meat of this entire game are the motherfucking titans. :rock: Any complaints about pistol auto-aim is piffle to me in the face of giant rear end robot duels that play out like a game of street fighter with robots, because this really is a very different kind of game than one that might be hurt by a smartpistol type thing.

That said - I hope they try to balance all the weapons as best they can, but on this game's terms.

have you actually watched any gameplay footage? because this post makes me feel like you haven't.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

have you actually watched any gameplay footage? because this post makes me feel like you haven't.

Awesome pilot action
Awesome Titan action
1080p 60 fps on Source

Pick one

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Obligatory "I could have all three if I ran it on my PC" post.

edit: at 120 fps!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Why do people keep throwing around the 80million figure? That's total lifetime sales, there probably isn't half that many 360s in existence that even work let alone the number of consoles sitting in closets like mine.

Given the drought of games on the new consoles I expect the Xbone version will have an active player base not too far off from what the 360 has.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Awesome pilot action
Awesome Titan action
1080p 60 fps on Source

Pick one

I think they picked the right two.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Canadian posted:

*edit*
haha wrong thread oh well

*another ed*

Actually while I am posting here, is there any confirmation if the PC version could potentially raise the player cap if the server admin wants to? I watched some of the alpha footage and it seemed awful lame that most of the on-foot combat was shooting bots.

The action is so intense you won't even want to! And besides, that would go against the developer vision.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I was kind of interested in this game when it was first announced and was willing to defend it as the only cool Xbone (console) exclusive that was confirmed as a post-launch release. With all the little bits and pieces of information that have been coming out, though, I think this game is going to be legitimately bad when it comes.

If you're a PC gamer I have no idea why you would play this over Hawken.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

JordanKai posted:

I was kind of interested in this game when it was first announced and was willing to defend it as the only cool Xbone (console) exclusive that was confirmed as a post-launch release. With all the little bits and pieces of information that have been coming out, though, I think this game is going to be legitimately bad when it comes.

Well, Hawken uses Steam while Titanfall uses Origin, so

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

JordanKai posted:

I think legitimately bad is a bit strong. From what we've seen I'd say it looks like good fun but lacks longevity. I can't see me playing those ten minute rounds for two hours straight, I'd be bored out my noodle.

I'm optimistically hoping that Respawn have something else up their sleeves besides their dirty arms. They must surely have a few more weapons/game types and obviously a load more maps to be shown. We really have seen zero new content besides the two new titans, since the e3 playable demo 9 months ago - which I think was the same maps and game types and guns as the alpha.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

crowfeathers posted:

Well, Hawken uses Steam while Titanfall uses Origin, so

I can't tell when you're gimmick posting, but Hawken actually doesn't use Steam at all.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

WeaponBoy posted:

I can't tell when you're gimmick posting, but Hawken actually doesn't use Steam at all.

https://community.playhawken.com/news/_/game-info/hawken-on-steam-a-new-battlefield-awaits-r330

It does now!

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
The alpha was legitimately super fun to play. The longevity for me will hinge on the number of maps they include, and the amount of things I can work towards (unlocks, challenges, etc). As previous CoD developers, I'd be willing to bet that there will be more than enough of that kind of stuff. I do really hope that there will be more than one flavor of each weapon class.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Awesome! posted:

The people who act like they are experts because they have watched youtube videos are the ones who sound ridiculous.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FuSchnick posted:

The people who act like they are experts because they have watched youtube videos are the ones who sound ridiculous.

please tell us about the game's robot street fighter duels

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Awesome! posted:

please tell us about the game's robot street fighter duels

Robots can punch, they can't kick unfortunately. Pilots can kick but they don't seem to be able to punch. That's basically streetfighter.

There was a big thread at neogaf and all those bad boys that have no respect for an NDA were waxing lyrical about how much fun the game was. I think I only really saw one person posting that it wasn't that good that had actually played it. That made me believe in titfall being decent fun more than all the industry hype. Even more than e3 awards!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Crafty posted:

Robots can punch, they can't kick unfortunately. Pilots can kick but they don't seem to be able to punch. That's basically streetfighter.
the dumbest thing I've read so far today, congrats

e: actually that is so bad I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and just call it a poor joke.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 6, 2014

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I would just assume they're broken in the head since they bought an Xbone on release.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boy am I glad to see console wars are becoming A Thing again

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

FuSchnick posted:

Every video I've seen has been nothing but someone killing bots with terrible AI to get their mecha suit slightly early. And once you get your Titan you're just a bigger grunt with a lovely machine gun. I loving hope to god the game is better than the youtube videos. They'd better have some secret game modes or titans they've been keeping under wraps.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Boy am I glad to see console wars are becoming A Thing again

They never weren't. What else are nerds that care about poo poo like gigaflops or whatever supposed to be passionate about?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

I think legitimately bad is a bit strong. From what we've seen I'd say it looks like good fun but lacks longevity. I can't see me playing those ten minute rounds for two hours straight, I'd be bored out my noodle.

I'm optimistically hoping that Respawn have something else up their sleeves besides their dirty arms. They must surely have a few more weapons/game types and obviously a load more maps to be shown. We really have seen zero new content besides the two new titans, since the e3 playable demo 9 months ago - which I think was the same maps and game types and guns as the alpha.

I really hope there is a ton of info released when the closed beta starts. I really can't think of another game where there was so little info released this close to launch.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game will be like simcity in that it will be poo poo but for none of the predicted reasons

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Blue Raider posted:

They never weren't. What else are nerds that care about poo poo like gigaflops or whatever supposed to be passionate about?

People calling the Call of Duty knifing Street Fighter moves?

Titanfall better have an open beta or a very easy to access beta (Sign up an origin account, access beta!) or else I will really fear for the quality of the game.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ularg posted:

People calling the Call of Duty knifing Street Fighter moves?

Titanfall better have an open beta or a very easy to access beta (Sign up an origin account, access beta!) or else I will really fear for the quality of the game.

It's a closed beta.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

iuvian posted:

Every video I've seen has been nothing but someone killing bots with terrible AI to get their mecha suit slightly early. And once you get your Titan you're just a bigger grunt with a lovely machine gun. I loving hope to god the game is better than the youtube videos. They'd better have some secret game modes or titans they've been keeping under wraps.

FWIW, after playing the alpha and watching the videos once it ended, I couldn't stop thinking about how everything they were doing was retarded. You can pick out the actual players quite easily and essentially ignore the creep bots (they're even marked differently on the mini map). The dudes in the videos didn't care to make the distinction, and didn't use half of the stuff available to them.

But yeah, I'm wondering what we'll see for game modes outside of attrition and hardpoint. I doubt there will be more than the 3 titans on release, but I'm thinking there will be a good amount of game modes. CTF would be pretty nuts with all the parkour stuff goin' on.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I really don't get all the hype surrounding this game, it almost feels artificial. It just seems like a COD clone with mechs (sorry, Titans).

Mark me down as I'm vaguely interested and will wait to hear how it is before jumping on the PC version. I probably won't end up getting it but I'm looking at it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ryen Deckard posted:

I really don't get all the hype surrounding this game, it almost feels artificial. It just seems like a COD clone with mechs (sorry, Titans).

Mark me down as I'm vaguely interested and will wait to hear how it is before jumping on the PC version. I probably won't end up getting it but I'm looking at it.

These dudes made COD up to MW2, so if something counts as a COD clone, it probably isn't this game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zenthursdays posted:

FWIW, after playing the alpha and watching the videos once it ended, I couldn't stop thinking about how everything they were doing was retarded. You can pick out the actual players quite easily and essentially ignore the creep bots (they're even marked differently on the mini map). The dudes in the videos didn't care to make the distinction, and didn't use half of the stuff available to them.

But yeah, I'm wondering what we'll see for game modes outside of attrition and hardpoint. I doubt there will be more than the 3 titans on release, but I'm thinking there will be a good amount of game modes. CTF would be pretty nuts with all the parkour stuff goin' on.

You clearly played the alpha, so what do the bots do? Or was alpha only the attrition kill everyone game type? Basically I want to know if they can cap points or do stuff besides die horribly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can clone your own work.

You just need to make sure not to clone your own clone or else it enters play as a 0/0 and instantly dies.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You clearly played the alpha, so what do the bots do? Or was alpha only the attrition kill everyone game type? Basically I want to know if they can cap points or do stuff besides die horribly.

The alpha had hardpoint enabled too. I actually don't remember if they are able to cap points, but every time I ran to one after hearing that we were losing it, I found an actual player. I know they run towards the points, but I don't know if they count towards a capture. Maybe they just go to help clear it out. They mostly die horribly, but if you turn a corner into a big group of them you might have an "oh poo poo" moment.

The one purpose I think they serve well is as a camouflage from the enemy titans. Usually when you're rolling around in a titan you have all sorts of stuff coming at you and it's harder to differentiate bots from pilots in the heat of the moment. When you're the pilot in that situation the bots help you roll to your next cover spot without getting insta-gibbed. There is an active camouflage type tool to help you in that scenario, but it's often on cooldown when you're dealing with multiple titans.

I completely understand the sentiment that bots suck in online shooters (they do), but the way they're implemented in this game isn't at all the same as others. It isn't like Brink, or CoD combat training where they're supposed to replace a real player. They're basically there for ambiance and to make lovely players feel more awesome. That's fine, it lets them have their fun while the more serious FPS people (myself included) can just just ignore the bots and gun down the other players. You'll still be ahead of them since players are worth significantly more than bots, and people can still peep your sweet K/D because the scoreboard differentiates bot kills and player kills.

Hopefully the beta is widely available, because it's honestly something you need to play to get a feel for. It's hard to judge when reading about it or watching videos that lovely players post. It won't be a game for all crowds, but if you like playing the usual FPS subjects like CoD/Halo/BF this game will be your jam. If you are hoping to nerd out with mechs like Armored Core or something, turn around and run away. They're just timer-based killstreaks that are fun to blow things up in.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Will titanfall have micro-transactions like most EA games?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zenthursdays posted:

I completely understand the sentiment that bots suck in online shooters (they do), but the way they're implemented in this game isn't at all the same as others. It isn't like Brink, or CoD combat training where they're supposed to replace a real player. They're basically there for ambiance and to make lovely players feel more awesome. That's fine, it lets them have their fun while the more serious FPS people (myself included) can just just ignore the bots and gun down the other players. You'll still be ahead of them since players are worth significantly more than bots, and people can still peep your sweet K/D because the scoreboard differentiates bot kills and player kills.

It isn't so much that bots are terrible in online shooters(they are), but these bots are an extra level of terrible where they aren't even a threat where they can kill you or capture an objective. It's like you said, they are just there to be killed and make you feel good. At least the bots in UT2k4 and UT3 could kill you quite easily on the higher settings and they would do stuff like do objectives or defend the flag.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Respawn said it won't have any. Doesn't mean it won't have loads of dlc maps though!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ryen Deckard posted:

I like the idea of the game and genuinely hope it's a fun game that I end up getting on the PC.

That being said, the last time I saw a game hyped like this, it ended up being Brink. Fool me once, shame on you...

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It isn't so much that bots are terrible in online shooters(they are), but these bots are an extra level of terrible where they aren't even a threat where they can kill you or capture an objective. It's like you said, they are just there to be killed and make you feel good. At least the bots in UT2k4 and UT3 could kill you quite easily on the higher settings and they would do stuff like do objectives or defend the flag.

I agree with this. And I find it puzzling why they thought it was necessary to make it so clear even on the minimap what were bots and what were players. I saw videos where you could look at enemies and see Spectre or a player name or Militia and realize then whether to ignore them or not. It's kind of puzzling that they go out of their way to tell players not to actually fight bots. And in most cases you never need to fight anyone on the ground in a Titan. Pic Stryder, stay mobile and never worry about a pilot unless it is trying to lock onto you.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Control Volume posted:

This game will be like simcity in that it will be poo poo but for none of the predicted reasons

We knew more about Simcity this far out from launch

Liquid Penguins posted:

Despite not knowing anything I'm sure of this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

zenthursdays posted:

They're basically there for ambiance and to make lovely players feel more awesome. That's fine, it lets them have their fun while the more serious FPS people (myself included) can just just ignore the bots and gun down the other players. You'll still be ahead of them since players are worth significantly more than bots, and people can still peep your sweet K/D because the scoreboard differentiates bot kills and player kills.

I'm not sure why gaming developers have this terminal aversion to putting people in proper brackets for their skill level but maybe they should get on it, rather than put a bunch of dumbshit drone bots into the game for scrubs. This is like randomly mixing all age groups together into your local Pop Warner football league, but letting the younger kids tackle a few training dummies before every play so that they feel better about themselves. Ridiculous.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Jackie D posted:

Despite not knowing anything I'm sure of this

You give yourself too much credit. They already stated no microtransactions unfortunately.

Its a shame because I wanted to buy more costumes for my robots and think ea deserve more money for saving console gaming.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't micro-transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Crafty posted:

You give yourself too much credit. They already stated no microtransactions unfortunately.

Its a shame because I wanted to buy more costumes for my robots and think ea deserve more money for saving console gaming.

I'd be up for some sort of cosmetics but maybe we can still hope these cosmetics are unlockable through gameplay like these sorts of things used to be.

Of course not what am I thinking.

Still though, microtransactions could just be one more thing EA goes behind the back of Respawn to do.

• Locked thread