Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
These are my games: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2014.cgi/group/Arc_Dream_Publishing/Ross_Payton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Redglare
Jan 30, 2010

I'm looking forward to trying out some new RPGs, and nearly every single entry says that there's no experience required. Is this actually the case for most games, or will I get loud sighs from the GM when I show up without having the slightest idea of how the mechanics work beyond "dice will maybe be involved at some point"? I mainly want to try out storygame type stuff, nothing super crunchy.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Reverend Redglare posted:

I'm looking forward to trying out some new RPGs, and nearly every single entry says that there's no experience required. Is this actually the case for most games, or will I get loud sighs from the GM when I show up without having the slightest idea of how the mechanics work beyond "dice will maybe be involved at some point"? I mainly want to try out storygame type stuff, nothing super crunchy.

if you get a lovely reaction like that for being new to a system or setting you should leave immediately. the purpose of these is for you to have a good time, not crunch numbers with some mouth breathing reject.

i get pretty heated about that kind of stuff due to experiencing that exact thing and it really ruined what could have been a great night @ gencon.

but for the most part I have found that the experience thing is fairly accurate. most of the DMs i've ever played with in 3 years of gencon have always been happy to tell you what to roll and why if you're not sure

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Holy gently caress how do you process all the poo poo that's available on the event calendar? Can you export it to a spreadsheet or something?

Are you gonna be at GenCon this year? We gotta get some board games in.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

For sure the Pathfinder Beginner Box stuff is like that - they were great when I did it a few years ago.

My schedule is pretty light this year (Spycraft, True Dungeon, and obviously OrcStomp, because, duh, it's the only 5K on my race schedule this year), so I'm down for whatever. (like more random games of Love Letter outside the exhibit hall)

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2014

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Countblanc posted:

Are you gonna be at GenCon this year? We gotta get some board games in.

Yeah, Thur-Sat. Got a room at something on prem, first time going.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I ran a few RPGs for goons last year, I'll probably do it again this year because it was crazy. Not sure what to run yet, something D&Dish, last year was Dungeon World.

Reverend Redglare
Jan 30, 2010

Razzled posted:

if you get a lovely reaction like that for being new to a system or setting you should leave immediately. the purpose of these is for you to have a good time, not crunch numbers with some mouth breathing reject.

i get pretty heated about that kind of stuff due to experiencing that exact thing and it really ruined what could have been a great night @ gencon.

but for the most part I have found that the experience thing is fairly accurate. most of the DMs i've ever played with in 3 years of gencon have always been happy to tell you what to roll and why if you're not sure

For sure I'd walk out, I mainly just didn't want to block out some time and then not be able to play because someone feels the need to be a dick. Good to hear that that's not at all what the usual experience is like.

ritorix posted:

I ran a few RPGs for goons last year, I'll probably do it again this year because it was crazy. Not sure what to run yet, something D&Dish, last year was Dungeon World.

I'd totally be down for that, sounds like a blast!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ritorix posted:

I played in the DW game last year and would happily do it again if there's interest.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Always say a prayer for the servers on Event Reg day..

(eyes clock.. punches the submit event wishlist for processing button at 12:00:00)

*You are #2552 in line for processing*

Me: (crosses fingers, toes and eyes)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I got nothing. The stuff I wanted was probably sold out before I was ever allowed to click the Process button, no True Dungeon or Jim Butcher for me :smith:.
Oh well. Still plan on coming home with a ton of loot.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Got everything I wanted in the first wave (L5R Big Experience, casual netrunner play, a 5th Edition D&D game, some Battletech) except for a 13th age game

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
We had all ten of us on a conference call, each with different True Dungeon sessions. We ended up with two runs back-to-back on Friday. Keep checking, because (for example) we had three or four other sessions completely reserved and we will not actually be purchasing those tickets.

I also got slots for ANR nationals, a draft ANR tournament on Saturday, the Netrunner casual play session, an Achtung! Cthulhu game and a BSG session. Commence counting the days.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SirFozzie posted:

Always say a prayer for the servers on Event Reg day..

(eyes clock.. punches the submit event wishlist for processing button at 12:00:00)

*You are #2552 in line for processing*

Me: (crosses fingers, toes and eyes)
Welp. I was #2240 and all of the True Dungeon slots (for 10 players) filled up ahead of me.

I wish they'd prioritize people trying to buy out a slot ahead of people trying to get just one or two tickets. Most of the timeslots that work for my group only have a couple of people registered.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I got the 2 things I didn't really care about, and missed out on the ones I really wanted to do. Great!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I really wanted to Learn Ogre with Steve Jackson Games. :negative:

Edit: Got 8 tickets for one of the first True Dungeon adventure. For some reason, the second adventure sold out way more quickly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is why I go to GenCon without planning anything, so I can be pleasantly surprised when something cool is available! Jokes on you, fuckers, now you have nothing better to do than play board games on the floor with me again this year!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Countblanc posted:

This is why I go to GenCon without planning anything, so I can be pleasantly surprised when something cool is available! Jokes on you, fuckers, now you have nothing better to do than play board games on the floor with me again this year!
I definitely don't over-plan, but we had a large group that wants to play True Dungeon together. There are also a couple of shows we want to see (Sit Down and Shut Up is doing a live podcast, and our friend Professor Shyguy is doing a concert on Saturday).

Otherwise I'd rather meet up with goons and play boardgames or Dungeon World or something.

I avoided the pick-up-and-play library room last year because it was so terrible the year before. Is there another good spot for playing random boardgames?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I got nothing. The stuff I wanted was probably sold out before I was ever allowed to click the Process button, no True Dungeon or Jim Butcher for me :smith:.
Oh well. Still plan on coming home with a ton of loot.

Yeah, Jim Butcher was long gone before I got in :( :hf: :( Missed out on the craft beer stuff too, but I'll be in the BattleCon tournament, which is exciting!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I want to play Archipelago, and I want someone to teach me Shadowrun 5th edition!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Missed out on the craft beer stuff too

I don't know what this was, BUT I am from here and enjoy getting drunk on craft beer so I can lead an exciting, unofficial craft brew tour if there is interest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WhiteHowler posted:

I definitely don't over-plan, but we had a large group that wants to play True Dungeon together. There are also a couple of shows we want to see (Sit Down and Shut Up is doing a live podcast, and our friend Professor Shyguy is doing a concert on Saturday).

Otherwise I'd rather meet up with goons and play boardgames or Dungeon World or something.

I avoided the pick-up-and-play library room last year because it was so terrible the year before. Is there another good spot for playing random boardgames?

Last year we just sorta went where there was space; We played Dungeon World, Resistance, and Shadow Hunters in the free gaming area at a vacant round table, Tales of the Arabian Nights on the floor outside said gaming area, Archipelago in a hotel lobby, and a few other games that I can't really remember in various places.

e: My "must play" list is Archipelago, ideally DW (or Inverse World), a big game of Two Rooms and a Boom, and I'm not really sure what else.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

camoseven posted:

I don't know what this was, BUT I am from here and enjoy getting drunk on craft beer so I can lead an exciting, unofficial craft brew tour if there is interest.

I would love that, and I bet a bunch of other goons would dig it too!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My group tried, and failed, to sign up for some games again this year.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Yeah, Jim Butcher was long gone before I got in :( :hf: :( Missed out on the craft beer stuff too, but I'll be in the BattleCon tournament, which is exciting!

Missed out on Jim Butcher as well :(

Entered the Netrunner tourny even though I've played like 10 times. Guess I should start practicing...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
They added 400 more Jim Butcher tickets, and there are 133 left currently.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I didn't get into the 7th Sea LARP that I wanted to, but my lesser ventures were successful.

Am I completely missing where to purchase generic tickets online?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

DNA Cowboys posted:

I didn't get into the 7th Sea LARP that I wanted to, but my lesser ventures were successful.

Am I completely missing where to purchase generic tickets online?

As far as I can tell, they haven't set that up yet. It'll come soon, I imagine.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
There is a giant link to generics on the search page, homies:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For anyone who missed out on True Dungeon pre-reg, don't worry. As the con approaches, people will cancel and you'll be able to snap up tickets.

You can also grab a bunch of generics and hang out on "standby" near the room. They always get a bunch of no-shows and will call in people from the hall.

I ended up getting 8 tickets for each of the two different puzzle-oriented events. The trick is to hover over the event listing two hours after registration opens -- shopping carts auto-clear after two hours, so suddenly the schedule is flooded with newly-free tickets.

I'm pretty booked Friday and Saturday afternoon, but my wife and I would be down for some Dungeon World or boardgames at other times. I assume we'll set up a goon chat like last year?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I'd like to formalize times for a few goon sessions of Dungeon World this year. Last year we just sort of winged it, getting people that way was a bit chaotic. Times TBD but I'm open most mornings and almost all of Sunday, flying back Monday. I'm willing to run 2 or 3 sessions.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 18, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd be happy to formalize something, but I won't know my schedule for at least another month, possibly into July - The person I room with most years is notoriously difficult to pin down, but seems to have some sort of room-reserving magic power and we always end up in the same place, often literally the same room, each year... Except for last year, so I'm less sure of when I'll be traveling down than I normally would be.

We should definitely try to organize groups though! Who would be interested in running a group, and what would your preferred size/setting be?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

camoseven posted:

Sign me up!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I'll be attending again, but I will be busy since my friends are visiting and they've just announced they have gotten engaged! Still, if you see a lanky idiot in a horse mask, accompanying a short elf from elfquest say hi :)

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So trying to track down the others of my group as this is our first time going and we missed the boat on the event registration. Do we miss out on not pre-registering for events and just buying a load of tickets?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

camoseven posted:

That sounds great. I miss good craft beer.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay Gen Con! Somehow I failed my search roll when looking for this thread a few weeks ago but here on event registration day it has made itself known. Looking forward to another great year. Been attending since the early 90s, though I took several years off when it left to Milwaukee. Went by myself last year and this year 4 from my local gaming group are coming along as well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Did you post in the thread last year, Nesbit37? For some reason I definitely remember talking to you in some thread, but I am not sure which one.

And I got everything I wanted from event registration, too--nothing :smug:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yup, also last year we hung out a bit on the Wednesday goon meet and some at after TOVA and other general auction stuff as well. Btw, The guy who's name you can't recall (from your pic of Peterson and Elliot) is Bill Meinhart though I am probably misspelling his last name.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So trying to track down the others of my group as this is our first time going and we missed the boat on the event registration. Do we miss out on not pre-registering for events and just buying a load of tickets?
Sort of.

There are some events that you're not going to easily be able to get into now. Cancellations will happen up until (and during) GenCon weekend, so you can probably wrangle your way into something interesting if you keep an eye on the events page.

If you've never been before, I'd recommend doing True Dungeon at least once. Some people feel it's overpriced/overrated, but I had a blast doing it, and it's even better with a group of friends. There are still some slots with 1-2 tickets free, and more will free up.

There are still tickets for several of the shows. D20 Burlesque can be pretty funny, and... well... boobies. The film festival is always very hit-and-miss, but occasionally you'll find something awesome.

I'll also pimp one more time for Professor Shyguy. He does chiptune pop music, which I know isn't everyone's thing, but he puts on a great show and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. The concert is $6, and you were going to spend that on a lovely, overpriced beer anyway.

Failing any of that, there are a lot of walk-up events like RPG's On Demand, the Battletech simulators, and the playtest room. You can also stay connected with goons for instant social opportunities. Last year there were several goon-organized RPG's, boardgames, and even a couple of bar crawls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Yup, also last year we hung out a bit on the Wednesday goon meet and some at after TOVA and other general auction stuff as well. Btw, The guy who's name you can't recall (from your pic of Peterson and Elliot) is Bill Meinhart though I am probably misspelling his last name.
Wow, no wonder I think I should recognize your handle then, we are BEST FRIENDS FOREVER.

I tried to figure out how to spell Bill's name and I ended up finding German politicians. He must be one of those.

Anyone here reaching the "Gen-Con sucks now and I am done after this year" point? Apparently this is becoming a thing due to the constantly-increasing size and difficulty in reserving hotels/getting the events you want.

And, of course, the flip side of this is that the actual stuff to do there is going to keep getting better, but do not let that dissuade you from deciding you hate it now! (Obviously I just love it more every year, duh)

• Locked thread