Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I disagree with the fact that snapshot makes a sniper able to do something covered by other classes. No other class can consistently land mid-long range flanking shots for high damage crits. Heavies are too inaccurate to and shotguns have a huge accuracy fall off.

However, this still pales to what squad sight provides: safe, 100% risk free attacks. A squad sight sniper doesn't have to worry about being around to be shot at if they miss, allowing them to roll the dice significantly more often than other classes, in turn leading to more kills and safety for the squad as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

biosterous posted:

Nicknames! Are nicknames listed in the middle of the name (ie. Kyle "The Yellow Dart" Smith)? If so, Tony White should have the nickname "Black &", because I love dumb jokes.

If not I have no suggestion.

Nicknames replace the soldiers last name as the name attached to the character in battle, so they should be able to stand alone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He didn't mention mechs however, whom havea range of 0-6 as compared to their normal growth of 2

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

After he "secured" all those kills and was routinely called a ks'er in the missions thus far, how could he be anything but Killstealer?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The big use of shivs, is that if you make a mech with a cybernetics lab, a common thing to do given their power, the techs that upgrade that mech also tend to upgrade your little robo tank buddies,making it much easier to produce one as an expendable pointman. They're entirely expendable, tote the heaviest weapons xcom has access to, have none of the ammo problems of other heavy weapons teams, are immune to panic, can get free shots on enemies moving in close ala assaults, and eventually gain infinite auto-healing given enough turns. EW made the cute little things much stronger, and much more accessible, making having one as your vanguard almost always a good choice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

In honor of the gentlemen who present this LP I have a few nickname suggestions:
snip

Quetzalcoatl

I think anyone would be proud to lead soldiers with such fearsome honorifics into battle.

What? Not Quetzalcoatlus?

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 15, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fetucine posted:

Enemy Unknown had a glitch where Disabling Shot actually gave a certain lategame enemy infinite overwatch shots, did EW fix that?

Yes! Now the bug happens with sectoids!

One thing of note is that if your play style involves heavy use of LoS rules to conceal your soldiers, battle scanners become much more useful, as you can chuck them over the obstructing object, or at the base of the wall you are on top of, making the concealment one way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like the idea of Statler and Waldorf just because of all the heckling we could make up when soldiers miss easy shots.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rickey "Waldorf" Gunerson and Finn "Statler" Terne.
Catalina "Urban" Sprahl
And how could anyone turn down James "Fastlane" Dean?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mech the C listers

The cyborg uprising begins today!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Volty posted:

I don't know what Sniper MECs
actually do.

They get a +10(?) bonus to aim when they fire before moving. It's really useful if you use the mech for shooting things, as their low ammo weapon means every shot has to count.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zurai posted:

I actually find the flamethrower really useful, personally. Sure, kinetic strike does 12 damage guaranteed if you can get within range with a single move, but flamethrower does 6 damage in a pretty hefty area and forces anything hit to run away, leaving them terribly vulnerable to everyone else on your team. It also destroys more cover.

On the other hand, it doesn't send the enemy catapulting through the air and doesn't have special cutscene kill animations for certain enemy types.

You forgot the part where the punch fist does a most glorious thing. It provides movespeed :swoon:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Zaius posted:

The flamethrower/punchy fist choice is tied to the suit that the MEC trooper is wearing, so you can change them if you're willing to sink enough meld and cash into making a new suit.

To be fair, upgrading a suit gets really expensive, but just buying a tier one mech is what? 40 meld? It's pretty cheap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Brainamp posted:

The beeping that lasts a second? Also because you can do stuff like this.

The fact that he runs a squaddie in rather than triggering the mines with a grenade is still absolute, 100%, xcom gold

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Green Intern posted:

The things I miss while reading the thread on my phone.

Don't feel bad, you were close with what they missed. What they missed was that the assault bonus has one real argument for it. The damage reduction, no matter how small and arbitrary, provides some level of incentive for being able to see one of those sweet kill sync animations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

All this talk about civvies dying made me wonder something. Are alien shots on them not actual shots, or given some massive boost to aim? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I can't think of a single case of an alien having missed a civy in god knows how many run throughs I've done.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FairGame posted:

Actually, I wonder if just having Slingshot and Portent in the game--even without rewards--makes the game easier.

By adding them to the pool of council missions, that means you have a lower probability of getting a bomb disposal, the "haha this UN General is totally hosed unless you have a heavy because you'll never be able to attack the Thin Men on the other side of the highway" mission, and other poo poo that'll get your dudes killed early on.

I dunno if I'm weird, but I used slingshot and portent a couple times each, because why not, before turning them off. They were fun enough, but I disliked the lack of variety you get when you don't have them stealing those very council missions. They're just too static for my liking I guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I never used any modules, and I didn't have trouble with that UFO. Maybe I waited to take it on until I had EMPs? Or I had two Firestorms and used them both? :shrug:

From the number of people talking about using more than one in an engagement, you aren't alone. They're basically "oh poo poo" buttons that help defend against bad rng and let you recover a bit if your air game starts to lag. The aim one is kind of worthless, but once you've done the necessary autopsy you should purchase a single dodge/boost because they're dirt cheap and while you don't need them often, when you need them you really need them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

If you don't build the Hyperwave for whatever reason (broke, doing other crap, etc), does the game basically just stay about the same until you do? So if you were struggling on the alien base/assault missions, you could intentionally NOT build a hyperwave to buy yourself some extra time to build up before unleashing a horde of Sectopod-backed Ethereals on the world?

It keeps the command bit of ufos as sectoid commanders, and lets you put off the overseer which I think is guaranteed to have a pair of sectopods in it. Sectopods and muton elites show up on their own even without downing the overseer though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sair posted:

I was just playing a game and saw an Ethereal on the base defense. First time I've seen that, though.

I had completely forgotten that could happen until you mentioned it. The base defense can go absolutely bonkers if you wait until your guys are all in plasma+archangel/titan/ghost.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

At the level of skill that our hosts are playing the game at, it seems pretty easy to reach a state of homeostasis, with no reason to pursue plot progression. Is there anything really preventing that?

The only plot missions you really can't go without are the ones up to interrogate an alien, as your tech would fall retard behind without that. Before enemy within I always staved off the story stuff until I hit endgame tier and then blitzed through the story missions when I felt I was done. The base defense mission helps provide some incentive to push forward because it gets harder as time goes on(Base personnel don't scale nearly as well as the aliens do), but it's still entirely possible to just outright ignore the plot for most of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Man, outsiders are such a weird unit in context. And they just vanish with no cool upgraded unit appearing in the endgame.

notZaar posted:

The outsider is basically a unique Thin Man. They are replaced by Mutons.

Eh, thin men have a fairly specialized role that never really pops up again in that they are crazy, shifty, highly mobile flanking machines. Between the poison and jumpy legs they get a solid toolkit that makes it very easy for them to ambush your overwatch groups and debuff your squad when they can't shoot. Outsiders don't really compare to that at all. They're kind of defined by the things they can't do because they never really get a cool thing to do. They're floaters that can't fly, mutons without grenades, thinmen without jumpy legs, sectoids with a bigger gun and no merge. What I'm saying is that they have a really cool visual design, and a very boring gameplay design. You can't really replace them with a better version of themselves because nothing defines them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mind control flat out removes one of your soldiers ability to act and forces you to kill the mind controller rather this turn or get attacked by a dude that probably has your whole squad flanked or easily flanked. That is so much scarier than the plasma pistol commanders are armed with. The only reason MC isn't an ungodly terror is because in 99% of the cases where you find it, it's a lone pod of commanders without any damage backup.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Teaser image because I can! And because I've done three filler missions so far and nothing update worthy.

Let's play 'Guess what's about to happen to that EXALT guy?'

Hint: The same thing as dead EXALT guy on the pallets on the ground 30 feet below.

Getting that particular exalt mission is fun, because instead of you being tempted into the death pit by meld it's exalt charging the death pit because exalt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ricky Gunderson is the man for the job!

Which means naturally that Tony White should steal the glory instead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Using the device will (a) start the endgame and (b) force us to take whoever used it on the final mission. So no disposable psychics.

neither of those things stop you from throwing a squaddie in the tanks and using them however, it just means they're a special expendable person.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think they meant something like "narratively expendable". Not necessarily mechanically.

Yeah, I know they aren't by the letter of the law, but they aren't safe from the spirit. They're still no name trash that I wouldn't miss.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Feinne posted:

Seriously though as with any game with a resource system your initial moves are to maximize your generation of resources as quickly as you possibly can. You don't really need that many resources for anything other than getting more satellites up early on which means that once you're at the point of needing money for other things you've got the income to support it. There's no real other 'rule' to what you do in the base construction portion because your order of building other things is entirely based on what you value more in the missions.

I would say the Officer training school and a select handful of upgrades are important enough to eclipse satellites though. Having an extra soldier or two on the field is a significant boost to your offensive power in the field and helps assure that your whole team makes it back in one piece, avoiding resource bleeding.

Another very important point is that early on it's useful to drop a workshop or two and the cybernetics lab next to each other. The functional cost reduction on construction and foundry projects means that you'll have fewer alloy/fragment issues when those become the tech bottleneck. fortunately, using workshops is a large part of how to maximize satellite production, as it can be hard to build a satellite uplink every month without them.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 7, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

I was reading through the OP to help make some skill choices as I play through and have a question. Was there ever write-ups on the final skill for each tier? Doesn't show up in the original post, so I'm wondering if they just weren't written or just were never copied up there.

>Supports choosing Savior over Sentinel seems blatantly obvious since med-kits are like 80% of the reason to even bring a Support rather than a different class.
>Assaults seem pretty heavily weighted towards Killer Instinct to straight up slaughter individual enemies (Run & Gun to flank and take full advantage of the bonus crit damage). Though I suppose a defensive minded player (Jade?) might be able to make a legitimate case for Resilience combining with Extra Conditioning and Tactical Sense to turn your Assault into a tank.

The rest however, seem reasonably well-balanced, but I may be probably am missing something or another on the other classes that make one choice significantly better.

In the case of assaults there's two ways of building them. Glass cannon's of death capable of dealing some of the most batshit damage numbers you've ever seen or merely incredibly high damage, but with lots of defensive buffs to help them survive rng fuckery. I like extra conditioning because you can't stop an assault from being a killing machine, so I might as well spec them to survive in those close quarter engagements I throw them in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Oh good. Please assault it.

Ive been curious to how that will go. I accidentally chose the RIGHT country when testing the assault button (i had only eliminated 4) and the resulting battle was hellish.

Huh, was it early enough that they still had ballistics? Does the raid even take that into account?

I'm kinda surprised Jade found it. Given the quality of the clues thus far I was positive that his wonderful intelligence wing would decide that it was in neither of the two remaining countries.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

honestly if you're gonna go all in on one class after EW you mech is definitely the most potent in terms of battlefield utility and tech tree requirements anyway. Hell with the high mobility and punchfist guaranteed damage 6x over, you'll almost never miss a meld canister and will spend most of the base defense charging forward and waiting for the next wave to spawn already. All assaults is so base game dude.

edit: besides nobody is saying that flush is bad because we need to min max, we're saying flush is bad when placed in direct competition with a skill that is punchfist of +3 movement and original squadsight levels of gamebreakingly potent. Those are seriously the only two skills in the entire game that would make me think if I had to pick between them and rapid fire.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 5, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Random_Username posted:

Is the suggestion here that a 4 assault squad is more efficient than any other layout? I mean sure, I'll believe that anyone "speed running" this game would want to go with lots of assaults, but it's incredibly risky. This isn't even factoring in late game where the big mech units can take multiple point blank hits and completely demolish your assaults on the backswing.

In terms of gameplay, assaults are assuredly the faster class, but unless you're playing on a difficulty low enough to mitigate bad luck/poor placement/etc., it's definitely not a smart option to use them exclusively.

Sectopods are really the only unit capable of surviving a pair of rapid fire assaults, and that's only with the advent of the expansion. Since xcom makes the aliens unable to fire until discovered, the best way to survive on higher difficulties is to kill everything as fast as you can in order to stop the aliens from ever firing at you. Especially with when you factor in just how lethal the aliens are when you do let them fire at you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Woozy posted:

Okay just so I know whether it's worth continuing how many of you are going to continue to pretend that RF has even remotely near a 100% success rate on a Lt.-ranked unit in, oh let's say April?

Which month is april? Is that the one where you've just hit lasers so rapid fire is less for damage and more for making assaults the most reliable shots on the team? Because that's honestly the only point where an assault won't be looking at near 100% hit odds for most attacks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SniHjen posted:

Training Roulette has been brought up a few time, and I was wondering:

I know that some of the skills are locked to a class, but, if we pretend they don't for a minute:

what skill --> skill combo would make you go "gently caress yes!"
what skill --> skill/class combo would make you go "welp, you're fired"

If your answer to this isn't immediately, give me 6 punch mechs with sprinter you are wrong. You are so, so, wrong.

I'd probably sack a support that got snapshot + all the defensive skills as its only options.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SniHjen posted:

I know that some of the skills are locked to a class, but, if we pretend they don't for a minute:

Mzbundifund posted:

Supports can't get snapshot even with training roulette on, can they? I'm pretty sure it's restricted to classes with sniper rifles, i.e. snipers only in an unmodded game.

Jade this is a great LP, I might even go Impossible for my next run.

Mechs also don't get to play with training roulette at all. This makes me sad because I need to mod my game if I want to see just how stupid giving mechs sprinter would be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I dunno given that the ticker indicates a direct correlation between a countries panic level and the populace's belief in aliens, at this point in the game anyone cleaning up the mess would likely just go "mother of god", be scarred for life, never saying a word to anyone else and questioning if it was real.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

If you have played before or happen to do it just "right," though, you can compress 2-4, which is a nice touch. No real reason to do it, though.

The game doesn't count the outsider's interrogation as one though, you still need to kidnap and research another species first. If I remember right anyway, I know at the very least it' doesn't benefit from SAs Bonus.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I have, but a long time ago, hence the memory disclaimer. Most of the time I wait for south America coverage for interrogations and I don't tend to rush the alien base enough that I need the outsider before I can get that bonus.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 25, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

actually, given the tone shift the lp has undergone Jade doing the final mission(s) high as a kite could be the perfect touchstone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nalesh posted:

http://a.pomf.se/tjmrzr.webm

This game is amazing sometimes.

Wow, just jumping through the ceiling wasn't enough for that thin man, he had to do a sweet rear end combat roll while dodging all your dudes fire too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dude redtext avatars are a status symbol. I can just hope that one day I will piss someone off so bad that they spend money to put a silly picture next to my posts.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

goatface posted:

Personally, I have no idea why you'd want to add more randomness to the game.

Because it's a game centered around rolling dice and gambling on shots? Like, the entire strategy of the tactical game is attempting to rig the odds in your favor as much as possible and protecting yourself from when the die comes up unfavorably.

• Locked thread