Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

rainy day posted:

eso is a bad game

No sperg discussions about graphics settings or bugs from the beta. Lets have a nice time talking about why it's stupid to make a generic MMO in 2014.

just getting this thread out there so I can say I hated it before it was cool to hate it

UPDATE: Michael Kirkbride, author of the original Elder Scrolls Lore, is going to try to explain to us why the lore isn't hopelessly hosed up. This friday for all us non sex-havers. http://michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/...orebomb-targets

but real talk: who the gently caress thought it would be a good plan to take a single player game where you feel unique and independent in a fantasy world and try to replicate that with 3,000 people that just sounds stupid as gently caress

most ppl i know are saying "well just give it a try" or some poo poo but it's just basic logic that if you remove what made the game fun and exciting then older fans probably won't like it imo

:downsbravo:

so yeah lets discuss why TESO sucks so hard here

Also post cool TES facts from older games that made them cool:

It was possible in Oblivion to make weapons so powerful that they would launch people into the air from the hosed up physics engine.

JebanyPedal posted:

The female high-elf in Oblivion sometimes goes "WHOOAAAAAAAAAA!" in this outrageous Bill & Ted way when she gets hit.

and here's how you could make a fun MMORPG besides not making a MMORPG

The Protagonist posted:

All the legacy weapons are there, but only one of each. Either you have to do a brutal quest gauntlet to earn one of them, or you have to kill the current holder of one. If the holding player deletes the character/destroys it or just doesn't log for a given amount of time it resets to the quest dungeon. Also public records are kept as to who owns what and for how long.

A non-zero number of artifacts would require your dungeon-crawling team going battleroyale on each other at the last second on the whim of the daedra dude.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I unironically believe that MMOs should have no story what so ever and just a giant world to explore and do whatever you want in, Star Wars Galaxies style.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

mmo hmo will play literally any game that has an xp bar

i need to see numers going up at all times or i go into a sperg rage

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

King Doom posted:

Game is going to be loving awful because bethesda suddenly loves to poo poo all over the parts of the elder scrolls lore that aren't Lord of the Rings i.e bland as gently caress.

i'm actually kinda pissed that after sinking so many hours into skyrim bethesda just said "gently caress you" and didn't resolve the whole elf-human war thing in any way, especially since the civil war plot was so loving weak

i want more racist aryan dudes and prissy english elves

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Space Pussy posted:

All they had to do was patch in skyrim coop

if you wanted to make a multiplayer elder scrolls game, this probably would have been the best way to do it and not really

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

roboshit posted:

if you have ever ever EVER played any of bethesdas games and witnessed how hosed up and buggy they are how can you expect a loving mmo from them to be good

To be fair, I don't think Beth is handling this one but if they are then great, more fuel for the fire.

It just seems like most MMOs rely more on time based skills with cooldowns and I'm really not sure how that's going to work for the ES formula. If they aren't doing that (which I think is the case) I still found most of the combat pretty boring. What made the ES games fun was discovery and I just won't have that feeling knowing I'm in a world with 1,000 other heroes.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Three keystrokes is a lot of work, mang.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

SymfonyMan posted:

You are this game's target audience because you are a loving moron. It's nothing at all like Skyrim. It's a wow style time combat fighting with clickable attacks like Neverwinter. There are no hit boxes in this game at all. You just weightlessly fight things. It's 100% not like Skyrim in any way shape in form except for the setting and lore.

It's a giant piece of poo poo that will be f2p in under about a year or less just like TOR.

drat there is nothing i like better than clicking on a target and watching my character go through five recycled fight animations over and over again, intermittently pressing a key to use an ability with a 20 second cooldown

at least in the older ES games there was collision and you had to have some degree of timing in your attacks, even if it wasn't much and a special ed kid could do it

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Cucktales Blogger posted:

What is the story of Elder Scrolls other than Patrick Stewart did a voice in a game?

Imagine if JRR Tolkein and GRRM and a bunch of cliché fantasy authors all got together and wrote a few short stories but never finished them. It's basically that. No midgets though.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I thought nervararar was just dragonborn-teir. Isn't there some crap about nevs being literally dragonborn as well?

Anyway this is gay crap I just want them to make a good game, TES has a lot of squandered potential at all turns

rumors indicate next TES will be
  1. All of tamreial
  2. You work to instate draginborn from skyrim as new emperor
  3. fight against thalmor a lot
sounds like bullshit I dunno. cant get any confirmation for anything

This is probably what should actually happen but instead we have to put up with this bullshit for another year and a half before Beth will get what little money remains thrown its way.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

nobody who has ever played a TES game thinks this is a good idea, so basically just people who heard that skyrim was a successful rpg but know nothing about it and have stock in whatever shithole dev studio is making it (it's not even bethesda, they licensed it out)

I think a lot of people who don't understand that TES was successful because it wasn't an MMO game think this is gonna be really good but then they'll play it for amonth and be like wait this is dumb and leave.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

rainy day posted:

the combat in this game is really bad.

Yeah this was what I feared and it's exactly true. Like I said even though the traditional combat is p poo poo, it at least lets you use timing and strategy sometimes. you just can't do that with so many individual calculations in an MMO and so itll just be as bland poo poo as ever. nothing about TES games are in any way geared towards a large number of players. The most should be 4 or 8

Prettz posted:

no i just completed it and it is absolutely astonishing how many throw-away fetch quests there are, while the main quest and guild quests are short as gently caress. virtually every NPC has their own fetch quest.

i agree that most fetch quests were worthless, but often they had you going to interesting places and discovering cool poo poo, which made them worth it. also it wasn't always just walk to a place and pick something up, often the areas had interesting things to do besides just get the widget

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

They're horrible things.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

But the best parts of TES are the ones that are totally batshit crazy and out of left field. This is why everyone loves Morrowind, because while it's the same bad TES gameplay the world is a crazy clusterfuck of volcanoes and giant bugs and mushroom houses and dead robot gods or whatever that you can wander around and break at your leisure. Also you can easily juke up your stats and be the loving flash or break spellcasting and literally fly. The reason many people play TES and not other RPGs is that at its absolute best it's essentially the Saint's Row of fantasy games in terms of goofy poo poo, and TESO has none of that.

e: this also why the shivering Isles was such a fun expansion

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2014

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

So apprently the combat is ok. None of that poo poo win WOW that is waiting for a cooldown to recharge etc. Sounds good to me but we still gotta deal with the whole leveling and balance for 1,000 players things.

I guess the irony is that if it's not going to be an MMORPG, it'll basically devolve to a MOBA without any actual characters. Just like Planetside in Olde England or w/e

gggiiimmmppp posted:

all you have to do is predict that every new monthly fee MMO will be a commercial failure that will collapse under its own weight and you're batting 1000 all the way back to whenever wow launched

it's weird that people keep buying them given the trend

because most people that consume media will buy w/e just for brand name alone and pretend to be happy than find something better to do than burn cash on a poo poo game

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah the art direction is hosed but graphically it doesn't look that bad. Stop bitching about graphics settings in the beta. We can all have a good time talking about the fundamental flaws of the game like the fact that it's an MMO or how the writer said he's just making GBS threads all over the previous lore etc.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

What's sad is that all these ideas about how the games could be made cool either by allowing players to place their own bounties or restricting the numbers of high powered artifacts or weapons aren't conducive to most casual players so they'll never happen...unless we all work together to make our own MMORPG.

Third World Reggin posted:

A redeeming feature. Fat acceptance.

this is cool because i'd love to troll the poo poo out of serious roleplayers with my naked fat orc paladin but not for 15bux a month. think about how many title changes you could buy Mordin

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

As a lot of people have been saying, all you need to do is provide players with the agency to make the world what they want, and I can almost guarantee they'll create a compelling story without any prophecy or destined hero bullshit. The fact that we're referencing EVE as a positive just goes to show how bad most MMORPGs are.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I hate how buildings and poo poo in every MMO look so gigantic. like everyone is a tiny ant or something

I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought this. The scale of that just looks bizarre. Also annoying how most endgame gear all looks the same so everyone looks generic as possible. Even though all the endgame gear in Skyrim kinda looked the same, at least I didn't have to see everyone else wearing it.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

The thing is that without a central storyline, how would you make your players grind through 100 hours of fetchquests and slime killing to keep them playing your game?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Most RPGs allow crafting of course, but its generally tied very closely with combat or the barrier to entry is so low that everyone can do it. This was not the case with SWG and it made it go a long way to being a unique game versus the WoW clone that most MMOs end up being. For all its faults, it provided a very different experience than pretty much any other MMO that existed at the time.

I can see that being really, really cool. Having a functioning economy based entirely on player input, instead of having a bunch of vendors selling health potions let players craft them and sell them and then you'd see a dynamic world where you have people who go out and brave the wilds to harvest ingredients, compete with each other to sell them to the alchemists who then sell them to the adventurers, etc.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Age of wushu was the last game I played with a good story cause there wasn't a story and the translation was awful to weird. It was just one weird adventure.

Exhaust his muscles and bones. :black101:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

just throwing this idea out there but do you think that it would be worthwhile to have randomized (within reason) cooldowns on attacks in games like tes? part of the problem that most RPGs run into is that number crunching dominates the late game. you spend all this time getting the highest DPS gear and optimum builds and poo poo and that seems really boring and not terribly individual. it's not like conan swung his sword at the exact same speed every time. maybe this would add some variety idk

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

ruffz posted:

I probably wouldn't have paid full price for the Imperial Edition due to not being sold on the game yet, however with the deal GMG had going I got it for less than the cost of a console game ($57). I'm willing to give it a shot for that amount of money, while fully assuming goons will quit en masse after the free month, and a lot probably won't return when it goes F2P. If it sucks after 30 days then I won't subscribe and I'm only out that $57.

people like this are quite literally everything that is wrong with the market. not just the games industry but media in general. people who just blow $60 on something they know they won't like all that much but "hey what else am I going to spend my money on"

imagine if people made vehicle or clothing purchases, or food purchases like that? "yeah this apple is rotten but I buy apples every month so I might as well pick it up anyway"

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Those all might suck but Star Citizen...man...that's where that poo poo's at. Wow what about an Elder Scrolls Star Citizen crossover, where the lore is retconned to explain how all the races were seeded by ancient aliens.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

rainy day posted:

eso is a bad game

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Borden posted:

If an Elder Scrolls game doesn't have glitches like merchants automatically wearing all the clothing or armor your sell them it's not a real Elder Scrolls game.

this is why oblivion was the best especially the gradoll physics

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

i personally disliked this game but I can acknowledge that it still has merits regardless of my personal taste, said noone ever

Bioshock Infinite sucks because I didn't like it and everyone who likes it is just some tryhard hipster, Dark Souls is a masterpiece because I like it and everyone who doesn't like it is just some filthy casual, wrap it up gameailures

On that note lets wrap up the discussion of how BSI is/isn't art and go back to laughing at people who actually put money down for this piece of crap. PYF facebook/twitter/adult friend finder messages about how TESO isn't so great right now but it's sure to pick up in a month when more people start playing.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

One streamer group already reached lvl 50+5 or sth.
After cruising through some heroic dungeons they gonna run out of content before the game launches.

Yeah it's one of those MMO's that promises raids 'later on' aka you get some buggy untuned crap in half a year.
That worked so well for WotLK.

I just don't get the point of raiding. Like I remember running Baal back in Diablo 2 when I was in high school and my soph. year of college. It was incredibly boring now that I look back on it and I don't really know why I did it (oh wait yes I do virgin). Anyway, that's the impression I get from MMO raids. You get a bunch of people, go to the same area that you've been 10 times before and beat up all the monsters there looking for better shoulder pads and nice fancy capes. Or am I wrong? If not wtf?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

i want to know more about being a white person being monetized that sounds hilarious

this is the best loving thing to come out of this thread thank you

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

People are logging into see their characters and characters from other accounts.

They are logging into the game with someone eleses inventory.

The game has been takin down during prime time since people are losing skill points that just go away.

The community managers said it is impossible for them to do roll backs so they have to individually add each thing you lost which means items and skill points.

Can you link to this so I can put it in the OP because that's fuckin' rad and underreported it seems.

Also very proud to know that my thread title delivered even before the game came out and will continue to deliver for long after the game comes out.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

:effort:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

mods plz move this back to GBS

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

zen sex robot posted:

Enjoy your new home :twisted:

:ughh:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

zen sex robot posted:

I wonder how mad the OP is now that we hijacked his thread to talk about YCS/DDRD and weird anime?

I just shat myself in anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

If ESO is not a money machine, does that mean that Todd Howard will push for an even more uninspired fantasy world in the next Elder Scrolls installment? ESVI: Hot Elves.

no it means that Zenimax will decide that the ES IP is completely worthless and can all future projects.

• Locked thread