Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i have played this game and it is bad

it's just a generic mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone frame MMOs in terms of challenging WoW now? WoW is terrible. It shouldn't be emulated or challenged, rather MMOs should be designed without any regard for it whatsoever.

I understand it was the most popular MMO, but gently caress it anyways, it sucks and always has.

ever since 2006 every mmo has been challenging wow

rift straight up marketed itself as a competitor to wow

elder scrolls online, a game whose development started in 2006, had a memo that they kept for 8 years "beat wow"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
we've had f2p mmos, story focused mmos (lol) and improved combat mmos and yet a slightly better everquest made in 2004 was the most sucessful

why? because it came first at the right time, simple as that

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
all that story content didn't matter for poo poo in the starwars mmo because there was no endgame.

wow had the perfect balance of grind and endgame content, and continued that balance for years.

every new mmo has limited endgame, because why make that when none of your players have reached it? however, people get through that content faster than you you create it, meaning you will death spiral. increasing grind will alienate the player base because there is a game with less grind and more content (wow)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
grind is a carefully crafted iv drip that you must maintain for years

yet you don't have infinite time and resources, and then you die

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Putty posted:

mmos suck

the main design of every mmo is "keep players playing"

this does not make for good games

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

It took players like 2 years to hit the level cap in Asheron's call initially... Then they broke the game with bots and scripting, but whatever.

I want a game like that again.

not enough people like you exist for that to be viable in this day and age, sorry

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
actually, private servers are a thing

you can play old bad mmos with literal 100s of people (who are broken)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

I don't see why not. I mean, EVE Online is still around and equally niche.

i disagree because you can actually do quite a bit 5 days into the game and 2 years in basically means you are piloting a big liability

there are a lot of things about eve that are good, but it's still an mmo therefore bad

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Dr. Carwash posted:

will there ever be another successful mmo on the scale of WoW??

nope

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Slybo posted:

I literally just got a beta invite to TESO. Just now.

play it and share your thoughts with us, gbs

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

fauxical posted:

Didn't WoW come out in 2004? It's incredible that no MMO has managed to top it in 10 years.

i made some posts about this

fauxical posted:

the new everquest should be on everybodys hype list though

yeah, i can't wait to pay money to create content for the dev team

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

fauxical posted:

what the gently caress is up with that question mark? this really is a miserable pile of poo poo.

:ssh: it was edited in :ssh:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
lizard wizard is playing this right? someone cyber with him and record the logs

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Tweet Me Balls posted:

as an experienced "ironic" cyber-sexhaver, i will do this "for the lols"

put on your robe and wizard hat

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Don Tacorleone posted:

Isn't WOW dying from bleeding thousands of subscribers daily, which is what spurred Blizzard into actually making games again (i.e. Hearthstone)?

ten years is a hell of a run, and any mmo that tries to enter now can't reclaim that lost audience because they are now playing dota/league or phone games

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Neurolimal posted:

-marvel heroes
-l4d2

idk why they went with this shitheap instead of just making a co-op elderscrolls game (besides their gamebryo engine being too horrific to actually handle something like that), it's not made by bethesda, it wont have elder scrolls gameplay, and its dull and greygreen and looks like post-oblivion ES i.e grimy lord of the rings, it could have been named anything else and nobody would have even thought to go "this is kinda like those elder scrolls games"

no one reads my posts :/

(game has been in development for eight years)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Fat_Cow posted:

Why can't they just make Morrowind 2?

because people would rather play oblivion than morrowin

idk, man gamers

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
but they added a doge ability by tapping a movement direction twice!!!!!!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
for a genre about things beyond the realm of possiblity fantasy sure is cut and dry

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Overbite posted:

Is that even possible

nope because there wouldn't be enough content to keep people playing

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the perfect mmo would be when i was 12 with infinite free time during summer vaction

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

rainy day posted:

They haven't lately but WoW used to have a pretty good rate of content. There will never be enough content to please hardcore poopsockers but parceling out content at a rate that works for semi-serious players who also have lives is doable.

wow had the best grind to content ratio ever

good poo poo

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
it's almost as if they took away the appeal of the elderscrolls game and replaced it with assholes yiffing in chat

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

The Protagonist posted:

Why can't we have an mmo with dark souls combat and EVE worldwide pvp mechanics where the only thing holding back pandemonium and slaughter in populated cities is a fast-acting npc police force with a footprint of influence that ends directly outside their line of sight/the city walls?

'cus that'd actually be good.

oh man, why can't we have a sandbox mmo with combat depth and no lag and copies these two games???!!?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
a bounty system that actually works in null sec while in a system where you can be combat effective a week into the game...

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
how to make a good mmo:

keep your scope small, have combat that isn't wow combat, have player interaction be meaningful either in terms of pvp or sandbox relations, oh and make content

only takes millions of dollars in an over saturated market played by people who enjoy bad games and not good games

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Gobblecoque posted:

hell that doesn't really sound like fantasy land if a developer actually wanted to do it. dark souls already has multiplayer, just make it all in one persistent world and have silly mmo stuff like guilds and poo poo and that could happen

but it never will because game developers are dumb and will instead make the same lovely shovelware mmo several times a year for the next decade

dark souls combat couldn't be as good if 10 guys fight each other at once

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
since you guys got the recipe for the best mmo ever you should show your design document to an investor and get that poo poo starter yo

be the change you can be

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
design document:

like darksouls and eve put together, please give me 100 million dollars

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
please wash your bum

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
what are these weird mexican words? just call them elves goddamnit

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
indeed, it was more of a failure of respecting the audience, so they threw them in generic medieval europe for oblivion instead of a jungle.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
tbf, gamers are dumb as poo poo

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
if ff14 didn't kill final fantasy, teso won't kill the elder scrolls.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
this mediocre game is actually the worst game ever made

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
just came up my fursona's backstory

a lizard who is a wizard if you will

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot