Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.
Norin the Wary.

I have actually had people cast multiple removal spells at him thinking "Aha! In response to the trigger I KILL HIM!" only to respond in turn "Ok, trigger on the stack."

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

All I'm seeing is a Sliver that lets Sliver Overlord Steal not-Slivers. :smuggo:

Pretty much exactly this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Stinky Pit posted:

I keep hearing this a lot.

You guys do know his ability doesn't let you play extra lands right? You still only get to play 1 per turn unless other effects are involved. I saw a few people at my pre-release misunderstand that ability.

It's more that it allows you to dig through dead draws fast, and you can some life while doing it. The 2/4 body is also pretty hefty and can be hard to beat through, and it only gets better if you suit it up with stuff.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

OssiansFolly posted:

Ugh I hate people that use Gods for Commanders.

It's no different from using any other degenerate legendary dude.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

Unless I've missed something, none of the gods should be even on the radar when it comes to degenerate commanders.
Some people whine about them because they're hard to remove :qq: but they don't even realize that they're pretty useless unless you get devotion, anyway.

I'd rather go up against some janky God-Commander deck than, like, Azusa or whatever other FotM commander is going around.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I transcribe my opponents' hands onto a set of golden plates, so that one day in the distant future a new, superior religion will be founded on my shared knowledge of its contents.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is it against the rules or considered overly rude to help a brand new player at a draft? My fiancee is going to go with me to her first FNM and if she enjoys it I might see if she wants to do draft on sunday but she doesn't know the first thing about drafting, deck building, or card values. The deck she uses now I put together myself. On the offchance she lands some decent packs I'd hate to see good/valuable cards get passed because she didn't know better.
Especially at an FNM, partnering up with her to help her learn to draft shouldn't be an issue. General rule stands, though: check with both those running and participating first (who will likely be ok with it).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

I've never had any desire to play Modern until I saw Matthias Hunt's Amulet/Titan/Pact/Hive Mind...thing. The deck just looks awesome as hell.

It's been around for awhile,, if memory serves. Gained some notoriety last year overseas, anyway.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I'm a big fan of this:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Livingtrope posted:

Why does break open exist?
It was a decent sideboard option in limited against certain decks. Not perfect by any stretch, but if you needed a 23rd you could use it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Anyone have a link to the monoB list that was running Agents/Nighthowlers/Heralds kicking around?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mortimer posted:

Rare drafting is probably worse than murder to those guys.
Those guys would probably love it since they get to leave with someone else's expensive card instead of whatever janky poo poo they played.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zoness posted:

Rare redraft is the better payout for team drafting. Team Drafting is really fun. Also, it's one of the better ways to go through a bunch of shared booster boxes while practicing for non-FNM limited formats.

I remember drafting out my box of New Phyrexia with some buddies. No one could blame one of them for playing mono-B without it being super deep after we found out he had foil Obliterator x 1 and regular Obliterator x 2. It was certainly something that happened. :stare:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

Game Day.
GAME DAY.
GAME DAY!

I'm so excited for Game Day, I just wish the only decks I could bring weren't Mono U and Prime Speaker Bant but I'm realizing if I want that Minotaur Playmat I need to apply my tryhard pants and slam some Master of Waves :getin:

Does anybody know what an 'optimal' sideboard for Mono U is, anyways?

I'm currently running:
1x Pithing Needle
1x Ratchet Bomb
2x Bident of Thassa
1x Rapid Hybridization
2x Cyclonic Rift
1x Domestication
1x Jace, AoT
1x Jace, Memory Adept
3x Gainsay
1x Negate
1x Dissolve

I'm not really a fan of counterspells but Dissolve has saved my rear end more times than I'd like to count, even as a one of in the side.

Opinions?

Personally I like 2 Memeory Adepts for the control matchup.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

I was thinking that too, and I'd probably side out two of my three AoTs when I do that, correct?

I just get hella sad when I slam that big bad Memory Adept and it immediately gets countered. It always seems to happen when I play against BW Control, too. :(

Nope. You usually sideboard out some of the creatures that are weaker in the control matchup, like Judge's Familiar and Master of Waves (totally for reals). You want to commit as few threats to the board as possible (Mutavaults rock here) to force them to make poo poo 1-for-1 trades on Verdict. Bident's rock in this matchup, and Thassa is her usual awesome self. Both Jace's can be great here - AoT for a few mini-Facts to get you to threats, and Memory Adept for putting your control opponent on a 5 turn clock and/or drawing if you need to.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

The damned shame is that I lack the Mutavaults to optimally poo poo on BW's day.

So I'd probably want to side out the Tidebinder Mages then since they're literally bears in this matchup.

So the Pithing Needle and the Memory Adepts would come in, the Tidebinders, Judge's Familiar and MoW, but what else would I slap in, the Ratchet Bomb to blow up the tokens, the Gainsays and the Dissolve and Negate?
Against UW control, in my experience, you want something like this (numbers obviously vary depending on what you have in your board):
+2 Jace, MA
+1-2 Needle (for Elspeth/Aetherling/Jaces)
+3-4 Gainsay
+1-2 Dissolve
+1-2 Negate
+1 Bident
+1-2 Cyclonic Rift

You usually want to drop the following:
-1-2 Rapid H. (whatever you main)
-4 Judge's Familiar
-4 Master of Waves
-1-2 Domestication (whatever you main)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

What do you SB in against monsters? This is my usual:

+2 Rapid H
+1 Rift

-1 Domestication
-2 Bident.
That's exactly what I have for it. If I had any Pithing Needles in my board I'd bring them in and drop an equal number of Judge's Familiars since they're little more than a 1/1 flier that gives U devotion which is ok but not impressive, and shutting off Planeswalkers and/or Monstrosity on something like Polukranos (or Arbor Colossus) at the right moment can be pretty solid.

I keep thinking about bringing another Nykthos main, since it's just super good, but casting Nightveil on time can sometimes be tough.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

How about against RB aggro? I'm seeing a lot of that in my meta game.
Similarly, you want Bidents out, since it's a card that's only good if you're ahead on the board, and against aggro and ramp it's hard to get ahead fast. Against weenie aggro I like to bring in another Jace AOT, Rifts, and Domestications, dropping our big fat MoW since won't have devotion for him since you'll be trading aggressively and/or getting your dudes burnt out. Fat-butt guys like Nightveil and Frostburn rock here, Tidebinder is amazing if it hits a guy, and Thassa will win you the game if you can turn her on (and sometimes even if you can't).

You can usually frog your own guys to get a solid 3/3 blocker, or blow up their suited up guy. Rift can help give you a lot of time, too. And of course, Domestication on just about anything they play/suit up is gonna give them feelbads since most of their dudes are 2/X bodies - you can even end of turn Frog a dude and Domesticate it back to block on yours if you're feeling sassy.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Promoted Pawn posted:

So now Fracturing Gust (2 G/W G/W G/W-Instant-Destroy all artifacts and enchantments. Gain 2 life for each thing destroyed) is $15 after a buyout. Considering the only deck that uses it (Scapeshift) only wants one copy in the sideboard, the only thing that could conceivably prop up this spike is EDH demand. I'd sell into the spike if you have any.

Edit: Also SCG is now buying Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn at $70. ZEN fetches are going up again soon.

Jeez, I remember when I bought my set of Tarns for like $30 a pop last year and thought that was a bit steep. :stare:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

E; fb.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

No mention of Sorin, LoI, who I would think would be a headline card if he was in. Elspeth and Hero are good and welcome though. Guess it might have a Marsh Flats.

Don't forget about Bitterblossom. :getin:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Korak posted:

How does infect work in Commander? 20 poison counters for a kill?

Nope, 10, like any other format.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

I thought it was 15, like 2HG (the other 40-starting-life format)

Nope, not even in the duel commander variant.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jhorphear posted:

Ok, lets see if this works, here is that altered image card I mentioned earlier

edit: im stupid, how do I post this as nsfw?

:nws: some URL here :nws:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Toshimo posted:

Bieber's not asian.

She doesn't look Asian. She looks Mediterranean. Like Mediterranean Bieber.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I have a foil Rejeerey if you're interested. :getin:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cactrot posted:

If it is a DCI sanctioned event, neither the judges nor the TO are allowed to participate in play.

Unless:
  • it's Friday Night Magic
  • it's a prerelease
  • it's part of a launch party
  • it's during a Magic Game Day
  • it's any of non-premier event
  • it's a tournaments in which WoTC specifically allows those individuals to participate

So, yea, pretty much any normal event.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Hall is usable in other colors I guess, or you could have both it and spear out at the same time. Don't see it being terribly relevant though. Wouldn't be bad in limited.

It might warrant me testing it in monoU as a 1 or 2 of. Not having Master Tokens die when he does seems good

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

What if I have a Courser out and I attack with a Prognostic Sphinx. I only have to show my opponent the top card of my library before and after I scry, correct? Not all 3 cards.
Correct, because you are looking at the top X cards of your library. If you were to draw cards (via say Divination), you would have to reveal each card before it is drawn since it exists in a known zone (top of your library).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

5-6 mana didnt stop jace and elspeth from being good. He's not in control decks but he will probably be in decks running elvish mystic and sylvan caryatid so 5cmc still seems easy enough.

His +1 to dig for more planeswalkers might make it worth splashing a couple green for control decks. :shrug:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

He digs for D-spheres too.

Busted. :chord:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gimme a break, I'm checking the thread in-between deaths in TF2.
People still play that game? Don't you already have all the hats?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kinda wanna build Bant just to get Master Biomancer and Brimaz out together. Getting 3/3+ cats would be pretty silly.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems weird, if you can play it it seems most likely to punish you most. Hits Revelation though.

No it doesn't. Rev's CMC is only 3 in non-play zones; when you cast it it's CMC is 3+X.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

gang sines posted:

Lashwrithe
Lash of the Whip
Heartlash Cinder
Counterlash
and of course Korlash

You forgot Nightmare Lash!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

This and Gild confuse me, but I guess its basically rare removal for limited. I know they've been moving the rarity of removal up, but it kind of stinks to open a rare that is designed specifically for limited more or less. I guess it could also be good if someone plays some obnoxious Rafiq edh deck?

Maro has said time and again on podcasts that cards at rare are specifically not designed with limited playability as a priority. It's definitely in as a stop-gap in case some sort of bestow deck took off/takes off.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

Fever dreams.
Pretty much this. If the video is indicative of anything, I guess, then that everything around him keeps dying.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Madmarker posted:

I always tried to go Orzhov, seemed to pretty well, lots of 2 drops and fliers, plus reach through extort.

Though I hated triple Gatecrash, it was such an aggro format, I like me my durdles.

Now M14.....mmmmmmm now thats a real format. OH yeah, I'll run all the time ebbs and counter magic and card draw I can find. Mix in a little elixir of immortality, and I was golden.

I still remember one night of M14 draft, going in on U/G, getting 3 Mystics to ramp into whatever, an Elixir, 2 Divinations, and 7 Time Ebbs (alongside whatever else I played). No one who played against me that night had a good time.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Devor posted:

Does anything target a "creature card" in any zone that a token can exist? I went through several pages of Gatherer, and only found references to Library, Hand, Graveyard, and Exile, where tokens can't exist.

More often than not, text on a card will follow one of these:
  • If it affects things on the battlefield, the exclusion of tokens will be noted by the clause "nontoken creatures" (ie. Progenitor Mimic, Elspeth Tirel)
  • If it uses another zone - hand, library, graveyard, exile - it will use the clause "creature card" (ie. Amplify ability, Wordly Tutor, Zombify, Ashiok)

Again, pretty reliable hard and fast rule, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

Notch's card would be a reprint of Final Fortune.

Whatever his card is he'll let everyone buy it before it's finished.

• Locked thread