Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What about Chase?

She dropped Chase after season 4, started dating her much older therapist, and then broke up with him and had a kid with another guy. She also eats ribs when she is drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

xcore posted:

Wikipedia has a pretty crappy season summary, but I don't want to have to read each individual episodes plot. Does anyone have any good pages that tell the story of each season in a few hundred words?

I stopped watching this around Season 5 but I fondly remember those couple of years in my teens where I would watch this with my best friend and completely lose our poo poo each week. It will be fun to have it all summarised in one neat place.

The show is so batshit that it is impossible to tell the story in a few hundred words. The first third has one plot, then the second third had another and it ends with a completely different one. They usually have a common thread and a couple of moles.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 12, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I used to play the good old Jack Bauer Power Hour in college, so this is like coming back for a homecoming or something.

Quick tip of the day, for fans who bailed in season six: Do give season seven a go. The new setting in Washington DC and largely new cast is absolutely worth your time.

Season eight is a strange beast with absolutely awful plots (katee sackhoff's character) but the last few episodes are friggin great for their lunacy. They're crazy, but they're also crazy in the BEST WAY POSSIBLE.

Also, if anyone wants a warm up before the new series, have you tried the 24 game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r412OrRORf0

The actual gameplay is mediocre, but its basically ten hours of straight fanservice. It wraps up a dangling plot thread from 24's early years and tells a pretty dang decent story.

Season 8 also has an amazing scene where Jack dressed like Iron Man attacks the former VP car, and the VP shits his pants since he knows nothing can stop Jack.

The best thing about season 5 is when the kid that is a major plot point is just forgotten.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know about you goon, but I always waffle on whether season 2 or 3 was the better season.

Two, IMO, has the better main plot. Nuclear bombs, President Palmer, CTU getting F-ed in the A, etc...but the B/C plot with Kim is INSUFFERABLE.

The Mis-Adventures of Season 2 Kim include:
Kidnapping the psycho's daughter and the ensuing chase.
Kidnapping her a second time from the hospital with Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Arrested by a cop because of the dead mom in the trunk from Psycho Dad.
Escapes from the cop car thanks to Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Runs into a cougar, and escapes it, only to be caught in a loving cougar trap. A simple snare trap that a five-year-old could escape from.
Doomsday Prepper psycho rescues her, but lies to her to hold her hostage to start a new human race...or something.
Amazingly, no major problems in hitchhiking back to LA.
Becomes a hostage during the robbery of a liquor store (I legitimately forgot about this one until reading it just now on a synopsis on Wikipedia.)
Goes back to the house of Psycho Dad, and at least manages to do something right and kills him.

Season three is more consistent, even if the main plot falls a little flat for me, in general.
Kim plots are a lot better if you just imagine its her character from Happy Endings.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone know how the process of writing Season 1 went? I refuse to believe that it was all planned from the start because the Nina twist makes no goddamn sense when you consider the rest of the season. Also Kim's friend's dad.

I think the first 13 episodes were written first then they got a full season and did the rest. What was the issue with Kim's friend's dad?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The twist that he wasn't the real dad and was actually with the kidnappers/terrorists.

We found out the real dad was dead in issue 5. It was set up from the start.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except for some reason he's all panicked and frantically picking up the phone when Terry first calls him.

He could have been worried that Terri would not call him, and he would not be close to her and able to kidnap her later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

Richard Burgi is one of those actors where you just know he's a bad guy the moment he shows up. Same with how Sean Bean always dies, Christopher Lee and Alan Rickman are always bad, etc. ... or, for an example from the same season of 24, Michael Massee.

That is not true

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Season 2 has some great moments too. The poo poo with Chappelle was incredible, but I preferred what happened to Mason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It is crazy to think how big of a gamble 24 was. It was the start of huge serial storytelling on network tv. I mean there were some that did it before and better (Homicide), but it was the first that was hugly popular.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

James Heller posted:

I am way ok with this.

You know the two of them will bond over their shared love of killing everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

The show was in constant danger of cancellation during the first season if I remember it right. I remember being one of the very few people I knew who watched it. They seriously considered changing the format for the second season.

I doubt that since they ordered all 24 episodes after only 3 aired. If it was in danger of cancellation they would have ended it after 13. I think the change in format was one of the head writers ideas, and it was ignored. I mean I could understand why they would want to change it since writing a 24 season must be insane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I think just the fact that the villains were Jack's relatives wasn't what killed the season. Having that weird bald bluetooth guy in season 5 without an explanation and then revealing him to be Jack's estranged brother was pretty cool. It's when Jack's dad goes "well, one of my only two sons, you've done a great job with absolutely everything I asked for, but I think I'll just go ahead and kill you to protect [vague motivations related to his company]." It's like...no. No way. Sayid Ali, who was going to set off a nuke in LA in season 2, was motivated by the health and safety of his family. No way would a father kill their son in cold blood like that for no goddamned reason.

So the problem was that every plot development was motivated not by "what makes sense and cohesively advances the story" but "what will shock the viewers the most". Plus, there was the ever-present 24 problem of defeating the main villain about 2/3 of the way in only to have some other tangentially related macguffin drop in out of nowhere so that the rest of the episodes could limp along to a conclusion.

I thought he killed him since Jack was torturing him, and he did not want to be found out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, he framed Jack for it.

I always thought anyone in high levels of government in the 24verse should be required to carry cards that said "1. Jack Bauer is always right 2. It's never Jack Bauer's fault". That would solve like 99% of the problems.

3. Logan is lying and he is behind it all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm not holding out hope for Agent Pierce to come back unless he's decided to reenlist in the Secret Service and join Heller's security detail. The writers couldn't figure out a way to bring him back in season 8 and I was fine with that considering how stupidly shoehorned his sole appearance in season 6 was.

Season 6 made sort of sense as he was becoming real friendly with Martha Logan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

I consider his appearance shoehorned in by proxy. They really ruined Martha in season 6 by making her a deranged lunatic when by that point she should have been feeling better, given that her husband was brought to justice.

She had a history of mental illness. Why would she suddenly get better?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oliver Reed posted:

Ah gently caress, Edgar was such a good guy. I really wish he had a romantic relationship with Chloe or something before those bastards gassed CTU.

Thanks a lot Rudy.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really curious as to how they are going to use Audrey this season.

Her husband/loved one will end up being a mole, kill her, and cause Jack to go on a bigger rampage with her dad then he was doing before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oliver Reed posted:

President Heller uses all of his power to keep Jack away from Audrey, she talks to him secretly about how the government is compromised and her father might be involved, Jack tries to stop it, etc. Or some variation thereof.

If we do not get another joint Jake/Heller rampage then there is no reason to bring him back :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Geekkake posted:

I dunno, man. I came into 24 fresh a couple months ago, knowing only that it was some insane trainwreck TV and maybe pro-torture?, and the cougar scenes stood out pretty strongly to me, despite having never heard of them before. I mean, it's just... Girl being maybe stalked by a mountain lion in the woods for no reason? And then... and then oh hey it's back, just sort of standing around looking at its handler waving a steak off-screen, and then Kim gets caught in a snare trap that literally no other wildlife had been dumb enough to be caught in. And then Discount Matt Dillon showed up and was like, "oh, I see you are stuck in this snare trap. Here, you see? You just sort of pull it apart" and Kim was just baffled.

It was worth it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhmbJKSSuYQ

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just wondering how they will handwave away that little minor thing of Audrey being brain dead.

I thought they said that she could be brain dead or she could get better. I mean this is a show where a pesky heroin problem or heart issue can just be ignored and Jack can use his own will power to get over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

Oh, it was definitely a moment of catharsis for me too. "Again. Shoot him again."

Who is Miles?

I guess everyone has a favorite of Jack's girlfriends and mine is Audrey so her return is reopening an old wound considering they last left her comatose. At least Jack realized after Heller's speech in the final scene of season 6 that letting Audrey go would mean she wouldn't suffer any more by being his girlfriend. I will be really loving upset if she ends up dead because she survived Chinese torture just like Jack did so she ought to be invincible now right? :colbert:

She gained the transitive property of Jack? The season ends with Heller, Audry, Jack, and Chloe going on a london rampage. All I am asking for this season is to have Jack torture the queen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

It would be wonderful if the Queen turns out to be the new Charles Logan. Yeah I know he never tortured Logan but what if he storms Buckingham Palace and takes her hostage? Heller and Audrey could back him up just like they did when he helped them escape that terrorist fortress. And Chloe returns to firing machine guns. I guess what I'm asking for is for the writers to bring back all of the most badass action moments from season 4.

They are all armored up like Jack from season 8.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

His other appearances have been so dissonant that this wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for the character. Except for, you know, how positive it is.

It would then end up with him being lactose intolerant

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Geekkake posted:

Kevin Bacon beat a confession out of an eight year old boy this season. I don't know how else to make you happy!

Him using a towel to get it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tofes posted:

I think there was an attack in season 6 too?

How could you forget Milo's death and the chinese invasion?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I just want them to top the Iron-Jack scene from season 8.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Awesome! posted:

I got that vibe too.

It will be the guy trying to replace her also the guy in charge of Chloe's group. Stephen Fry will also be part of the plan, and Kate's husband is also allied with the main villain

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

You'd think after eight seasons of this I'd have this show all figured out but Jack kneecapping a bunch of random civilians to start a riot made me let out an audible "WHAT?! :stare:"

Jack Bauer is the best there ever was. :allears:

All he needed was his superhero outfit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Guys guys I think I found a plot hole, how does the president have any kind of authority to authorize an agent to be hunting terrorists in a friendly foreign country??

Suspension of disbelief = shattered. :colbert:

It's Jack Bauer that is enough authority

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

It has to be a real downer moment for a silent clock, which is what they were going for. Death by :supaburn: predator drone missile :supaburn: is hardly like a silent moment, when you look back on the other silent clocks and their contexts.

Very true as George Mason did not get one for when he sacrificed himself, but did when he sadly left the CTU.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VJeff posted:

This is a good point. Most of the silent clock deaths are very quiet, poignant moments, and this is a Michael Baysplosion moment.

Still, if they really wanted to hammer it home, they could've focused on a shattered pair of glasses or a burnt hat or whatever and then focused on Jack with a horrified look on his face and gone to the silent clock.

Yeah the closest that comes to this is Bill's death, but the silent clock came after showing Jack mourning.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He is a main cast member, so contractedly he will be credited for all the episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

If they don't silent clock her death I will rampage!

This will be you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iDguioxV8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gonz posted:

No kidding. She's quickly becoming the female Sean Bean.

She must have got that skill when she acted as his wife in Game of Thrones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

LOL imagine it being a prequel to LAD and Belcheck is actually the Jack Bauer of the show and makes the real Jack Bauer look lovely in comparison, or is relegated to sitting in the background to be called upon when needed.

He is Tony after plastic surgery and given a new identity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MC Stevepants posted:

Ideally, ep11 ends with Jack getting a plane back to the US, and the finale is just Jack & Tony running around yelling and shooting stuff.

It ends with the two of them watching the Cubs win the world series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Plus he's been shot and beaten so many times

He also had that drug issue that he got over by just being Jack Bauer.
He also has a weak heart due to season 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That interview in which they asked who was the hardest to kill just seems like normal nonspoiler interview. They can's reveal that until the season ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

All these talks of hard deaths, but not one of you mentioned this American Hero?

You should all be ashamed. :colbert:

He went out as a badass and did what he had to do. :911:
However, that death was one of the best and saddest, but an amazing conclusion to his character arc.

• Locked thread