Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Jack is Back May 5th

I figured there would be a thread on this already (maybe I missed it), but anyway, I am definitely excited for the return of 24. Don't read past this sentence if you don't want any spoilers.

Set 4 years after the end of Season 8 of 24, 24: Live Another Day is a limited run TV series set to begin May 5th, 2014. What is a limited run TV series? Basically it's a season of 12 episodes instead of 24. So how will the show, famous for its use of real-time storytelling and seasons spanning a full day to the second, fit in half the time? So far, the explanation is that there will be jumps between certain episodes. So like, maybe one episode will be from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM, then the next will say "two hours later" and be from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. The season will still cover a full 24 hour day, just not all of it will be seen.

There is a lot of info on this wiki page, and it appears to be kept up to date as new info is released. Here are some highlights (again, HERE BE SPOILERS):

Kiefer Sutherland will reprise his role as Jack Bauer, former federal agent and now wanted fugitive on the run after the events of season 8. It's not clear yet what he's been doing in the interrim - maybe he carved out a quiet life for himself like he did between season 4 and 5, maybe he's a mercenary for hire in all the countries of NotAmerica.

Mary Lynn Rajskub with a crazy new haircut will reprise Chloe O'Brian, former computer tech for CTU, now apparently gone rogue (spoiler: this is speculated to be because of the loss of her son, Prescott). It's unclear whether she is going to be joining up with Jack or opposing him in the upcoming season.

William Devane will once again play James Heller, who is apparently now the President of the United States. What conflicts could possibly arise between him and Jack???? Other than all of them.

Benjamin Bratt, probably most well known for his role on Law and Order, will play a new character, CIA head Steve Harris.

Stephen Fry will play the British Prime Minister, Charlesjames Chestonhaugh Fetherwaughler Haughington III Trevor Davies.

Kim Raver will reprise Audrey Rains, Jack's former love interest, although she is now married to a character played by Tate Donovan. There is speculation that Carlos Bernard will return to play Tony Almeida, but no confirmation yet. Judy Davis was set to play a widow of a terrorist, but the actress has since dropped out due to personal reasons that prevented her from traveling to London to film.

The season will be set in London, and as always, will involve the thwarting of some unspeakable terrorist plot that threatens to overthrow and/or end the world as we know it...forever!

The first episode will be 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM.

During the Superbowl on February 2nd, Fox aired this trailer for the upcoming season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4_r5RlBII. The trailer doesn't show much, other than Chloe's wacky new haircut and some very very understated and subtle hints that this season will take place in London.

The rest of the known details can be found at the above wiki link. So...anyone else excited?

First episode discussion here

GAINING WEIGHT... fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Deadpool posted:

Allison Taylor: January 2015 - September 2016 - Resigned office after the events of the sixth season

I assume you mean eighth.

This chart is pretty cool. I remember doing the math and realizing Jack Bauer is significantly older than Kiefer Sutherland but I never calculated exactly how much.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

evobatman posted:

With regards to the timeline, I think the producers have previously said that any current season is in the "now".

I seem to remember them saying 24 is always set just slightly in the future. They always seem to have tech that's a few years ahead of reality.

Of course, in early seasons this meant like, devices that could show satellite maps on a touchscreen, which we now call "iPads". Makes u thnk~

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing about season 5 is when the kid that is a major plot point is just forgotten.

Do you mean Behrooz? That was season 4...it was kind of hilarious that we followed this family and their activities all day and in the end all they did was a) deliver a briefcase to the people who kidnapped Heller (which I guess was the nuclear override?) and then b) die. That was it. Behrooz kills dad, Marwan kills mom, CTU gives Behrooz to Marwan's people and he disappears into thin air.

Apparently from then on a character that disappeared without any closure was said to have been "Behrooz'd".

For super short season summaries, here are the basics:

6: Jack is brought back from China to be traded to the terrorists for crucial information. Jack discovers these terrorists are the ones actually attacking the US, and escapes. He chases a man named Abu Fayed, who has suitcase nukes and plans to (and at one point, succeeds in) detonate them in the US. After defeating Fayed, we discover Jack's dad and/or the Chinese are the real bad guys, and it all ends with Jack rescuing his nephew off an oil rig and leaving his dad to die as it kerplodes.

7: Jack is in DC on trial and is called away by the FBI to help find Tony Almeida, now a terrorist after losing his wife in season 5. The main bad guys are African military leaders called Ike Dubaku and Benjamin Juma. They attack the White House, but are eventually thwarted. Then it turns out that Jon Voight's character was using the Africans to test a bio-weapon that his company developed. Yadda yadda, he's eventually thwarted too.

8: CTU is back, and now in New York. Jack is told about an assassination attempt on the president of a fictional middle eastern country hilariously called "Kamistan". This president is at the UN to sign some treaty or some poo poo. There is also some Russian (I think) with access to nuclear fuel rods who plans to set off a radiation bomb in NY. This is stopped, and Jack and Renee Walker (FBI agent from S7) hook up before she's shot in the head, causing Jack to go a bit fucknuts, and also we find out Logan is still alive and is buddies with the Russians and also the Russian president was the one really behind it all, so Jack is aboutta kill Souvarov, and then he doesn't, and he's arrested and almost executed, but Chloe finds him in time with a drone and allows him to escape. The end.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

VagueRant posted:

The first three seasons were like a little trilogy.

I've always seen it that way too, and in a way 4, 5, and 6 are the next trilogy - basically the Jack vs China trilogy. Plus, it's all after Jack leaves CTU (which, by the way, Jack has not worked for CTU officially since season 3. What the hell). It's also the rise and fall of Logan (who is a fantastic character by the way and him returning was one of the better parts of S8) and the entirety of the Jack and Audrey storyline (apparently she's coming back for LAD though so...).

Also agreeing that the execution of Chappelle is one of the best scenes in the entire show. It's such an impossibly desperate situation, and Paul Schultze really sells the man-contemplating-the-end-of-his-life thing. A scene I almost tear up at; it's that visceral.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I remember this happening once n Season 2, when they've captured Marie and they're trying to find out where the nuke's going off.

Yeah, she told Jack the bomb would go off downtown and he was basically like "nuh-uh, you're lying, therefore it must be in that hangar right over there" and it was.

Gonz posted:

Jim Heller may or may not try to get Jack to buy some gold from Rosland Capital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCJCcnhbmr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zqZiNcVG7Q

hahahaha

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

CODChimera posted:

This is going to be so good.

I've enjoyed every season except for 6. I rewatched Seasons 1-6 recently and I'd forgotten about so many crazy moments. Even 6 had it's good moments.

Yeah, re-watching it all at once makes it less bad, so that the why-the-hell-are-they-doing-this tangents seem shorter.

But holy hell is DB Woodside a bad actor. I wonder if they killed off Wayne cause they wanted a more compelling president?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I just think that having Jack's brother and father the main villains behind the biggest conspiracy to ever be on the show was one big :what: moment.

I think just the fact that the villains were Jack's relatives wasn't what killed the season. Having that weird bald bluetooth guy in season 5 without an explanation and then revealing him to be Jack's estranged brother was pretty cool. It's when Jack's dad goes "well, one of my only two sons, you've done a great job with absolutely everything I asked for, but I think I'll just go ahead and kill you to protect [vague motivations related to his company]." It's like...no. No way. Sayid Ali, who was going to set off a nuke in LA in season 2, was motivated by the health and safety of his family. No way would a father kill their son in cold blood like that for no goddamned reason.

So the problem was that every plot development was motivated not by "what makes sense and cohesively advances the story" but "what will shock the viewers the most". Plus, there was the ever-present 24 problem of defeating the main villain about 2/3 of the way in only to have some other tangentially related macguffin drop in out of nowhere so that the rest of the episodes could limp along to a conclusion.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

CODChimera posted:

I really can't remember this. Do you know what episode it was?

I think it's toward the end of 10-11 PM

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

I think one of the best things about season 3 was that it was one threat the entire time: the virus. It feels like other seasons neutralize "the threat" with about 6-8 hours to go and then have to come up with some other arbitrary thing to focus on. Season 2 had the Cyprus recording, Season 6 had the russian circuitboard/Cheng Zhi doin poo poo, season 7 had Starkwod/the Bioweapon. 3 was all about that virus.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Morris had a pretty good arch in either season 7 or 8 where he helped terrorists arm a nuke at gunpoint and spent the rest of the season loving up his sobriety and just generally trying not to off himself. There's some good scenes with him and Chloe where he explains to her there's nothing she can say to make him feel any better.

Yeah, that was 6. And then there's the great scene (kudos to Carlo Rota's acting) where Morris and Chloe are having an argument and in the heat of the moment Chloe's like, "yeah, how about : don't arm nuclear bombs for terrorists!" and Morris just stares at her with this vacant half-smile before getting up to leave, Chloe stammering apologies as he goes.

Morris kind of randomly appeared as a character but he was a good character so I didn't mind.

I'm in the middle of a re-watch of season 6 now. The final fight with Fayed and his demise almost makes the season worth it...until Plot Device calls Jack and demands the Plot Device from the nukes. At this point I'm just waiting to get to season 7.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

It's actually a testament to the show's otherwise ingenuity and novelty that they ran a loving amnesia subplot in season one and the show still survived a healthy run.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

This thread actually is the first time I've seen a lot of criticism of the "Stop the War" plot of season 2.

I'm surprised. I thought it was a pretty bold story to do while the real president was marching into Iraq.

It's not really that the plot itself is uninteresting - and you're right, it's easy to forget the real-world context of an experimental show in its second season transparently criticizing the US government's major policy decisions - it's just that it felt tacked on and unnatural. Season 6 was more egregious, I think, but 24 has a bad habit of wrapping up the main "terrorist X has weapon Y" storyline with 6ish hours to go and having to jump to something partially or completely unrelated to fill the rest of the day.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

This piece also points out that Netlix is pulling 24 from its stream. I guess it's many people's last chance to watch their favorite moments.

What????? I still have two more seasons! poo poo gently caress

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

It also has, I poo poo you not, an entire button dedicated to making Jack Bauer scream at his enemies. "Bauer! CTU!" "Drop it!" "I will SHOOT YOU"

That is a button I would like to push.

Finished season 6. For all its weaknesses, it did have some moments. The nuke going off in the morning, the final fight vs. Fayed and his chain-hanging death, and then the finale on the oil rig with Phillip Bauer's demise were all pretty fun to watch.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

More teaserin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZYInTPwqo

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah, season 6 Cheng Zhi sent a strike force through the sewers into CTU to abduct Josh Bauer so Phillip (Babe farmer man) (James Cromwell) would fix the russian circuit board for them. Asian strike team leader shot Milo in the loving face then got the poo poo choked outta him by none other than Jack Bauer. Josh survived.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

New behind-the-scenes featuring Chloe: http://www.eonline.com/news/529098/whoa-check-out-gothed-out-chloe-in-this-amazing-24-live-another-day-video

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

It looks like I'll be able to finish my S7 re-watch in before LAD, but not season 8...UNLESS I watch the full season in real time, which I am not above doing.

I can find 24 hours starting at 4:00 PM to kill.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVwXFTzYmY

I think 24 is trying to "go viral" as the kids say

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Oh right! He says "I need this guy to get me in," has the guy brought into the interrogation room, walks in, and calmly shoots him right in the chest.

CTU did not expect him to do that.

It's hilarious to me that right before that we have Jack read his file and say "so, you're a noted pedophile, rapist, you worked for a terrorist, etc etc" and the guy goes "yep! But I'm testifying so I get off scott free!"

BANG

Cause, you know, if Jack had executed someone that had only committed misdemeanors, it would be unethical.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

So I just started watching 24, made it through the last of season 2 last night. Season 1 I thought was so-so, it was entertaining but I felt like some of the plot you just had to overlook because of how dumb it was. Like how exactly do Jack's captors sneak him out of a giant drainage pipe in the back of a maximum security prison when the prison is supposedly surrounded? Lots of stuff like that.

Season 2 though I thought was really great. The stakes were high and it felt like that was reflected in the characters actions. Kate and whats-his-name getting kidnapped and tortured just because they happened to stumble across something they didn't comprehend felt like something that would really happen if you got in the way of people trying to pull something of that magnitude off. Chapelle becoming full on cartoon villain near the end seemed a bit strange though.

I started the first episode of season 3 but it seems like it's not going to be as good. Kim is back but now she's a badass hacker all of a sudden? I dunno, is it worth watching?

Not really sure if there's a general 24 thread but I thought it seemed unlikely.

You can read what people think of individual seasons earlier in the thread. Three definitely has its moments, especially early the next morning (2ish 3ish AM on?), but if you're going for "what seasons do I absolutely need to see before S9 premieres" I'd say 4&5 (just because the beginning of 5 is explained by the end of 4). Skip 6 and 7, and maybe catch up on the latter half of 8 (early morning ish on).

What I'm saying is that 5 is great TV.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Bagpuss_UK posted:

I may have completely missed something, but I rewatched Season 3 a short while ago and cannot for the life of me remember how they resolved the "virus is in the wild!" situation.

Infected guy leaves the hotel, goes home and meets his wife, goes to the drug store and encounters the owner and a customer, then goes to the hosptial and potentially infects a load more in the hospital waitng room. I remember Tony showing figures projecting mass infections if they don't find these people in time... then nothing after that.

If I remember correctly, this became the thing Adam and his people were working on in the background while the main cast was hunting Saunders. I know at one point Adam's sister was found to be infected (which really WAS a plot point that went nowhere - Adam was basically like "I don't know if I can deal with this! Ok yeah I guess I can"), so I think it's assumed that they had it contained and solved it somewhere between seasons 3 and 4. I mean, Jack is called back into CTU at 12:59 PM right before the season ended, presumably they were still busy finishing the job.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I can imagine them adding Tony and Mandy for the final few episodes.
We can only hope

CaptainHollywood posted:

Note: Season 5 is amazing. Only watch the first 4 episodes for Season 6 though because it's all very very downhill after. Ok, watch the last two episodes of that season as well.
I will admit the oil rig finale of 6 was pretty exciting. It was like a drat video game.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

So,

I've decided to watch all of Season 8 in real time. It's about 4:12 PM here on the east coast, which means I just hit commercial break #1.

We'll see if I make it all the way to the next 4:00 PM. Woo baby.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

poty posted:

Tough choice, the first third is the most boring 24 has ever been

Well, I figure it won't be until 3 AM or so that I need things to pick up anyway.

These first couple of hours are so much more tragic knowing where the season ended up. It's like....he was soooooo close. Headed to the airport to go live with Kim in LA. Soooo close.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Seems like you're at 2 AM now? How's it going so far?

I probably would have picked a different season, but good luck.

I'm tired.

I picked 8 because I had gotten to 1-7 on my rewatch. 8 was the only one I had left.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Just over halfway now. It's all sort of running together. It's interesting how like Kim Bauer's scenes were "just yeaterday", but when the show ran, it was months since she'd been seen by now.

But the bullshit subplots are less annoying. They don't last very long.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

It bothers the poo poo outta me that Kiefer says nu-kyu-lar instead of nu-klee-ur

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Welp, I did it. 24 straight hours of 24. 4PM to 4PM. I can't really process information very well at this point. Goodnight.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I think he said he was pausing it for commercial breaks.

Yep. At the very least each episode began "on time".

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT go to IMDB to look up her character's name.

I don't understand. Am I supposed to recognize her last name?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Any guesses for when the time jumps will be? I think it'd be funny if it was just

10:59:59 PM - "Man I'm tired! What a day this has been. Goodnight!"

next episode

7:00:01 AM - *yaaawwwwnnnn* "Dammit I'm hungry!"

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Ravel posted:

Chase is alive too if Jack ever needs a hand

It's suspected that he blew up in Season 6 when the nuke went off

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Nexal posted:

Some Swedish people marathoning 24 and trying to break world record.
http://viaplay.se/worldrecord24

wellll that blows my little marathon out of the water

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Ugh just please no moles. gently caress's sake no moles, just this once.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

And I get where VagueRant is coming from, Bauer is basically Batman at this point.

But I think that that progression was earned, particularly in the seventh year. Turning Bauer into some sort of intelligence urban legend is as inevitable as it is ironic, and I still think they've kept focus on his few tattered pieces of humanity left.

I wept like a sonofabitch when the muslim cleric issued Bauer his informal last rites, even though I knew he'd be back for another day or three of punishment.

I think if Jack had been written as he is now from the beginning it would be a total joke and impossible to take seriously, but we've seen how he progressed from a relatively normal family man, though one with a military/government agent background, to where he is now, which is the "shouty torture man". Since we've seen the progression day by day, it's believable to some degree now.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I mean I guess that's true but could you be in a relationship with someone who had such a direct role in the death of one of your loved ones? I mean the whole thing can be explained by just acknowledging that it's 24 and Jack gets any woman he wants but I thought she had been pretty clear about the situation in season 4.

I dunno if Jack can get any woman he wants and the ones he does get end up hosed in half comatose or dead as poo poo

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

BrandonGK posted:

The writers original intention was for it to be revealed that Philip had once raped Marilyn, and that Josh, Jack's nephew, was supposed to have been the product of that rape. The writers eventually decided to drop it, one of the few good story choices of that season.

Holy poo poo! Some plot ideas are bad, but that's just...uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

HERE WE GOOO

• Locked thread