Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Holy poo poo there's an NC thread? I've been playing this on and off for years, I'll have to jump onto your TS sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

The downside of NC is that the PVP at the highest level is great, but the grind is horrendously outdated, antiquated and utterly hosed. I'll try and log on some time this week and help the new guys out, because otherwise you'll just end up quitting and not seeing some of the actual decent bits of the game, and I totally don't blame you.

For example, the majority of missions are a waste of time, playing a monk is utterly painful (APU's are borderline pointless in high level PVP, PPU's are essentially but it's exceptionally difficult to level as a PPU, you need to level APU and then LOM out to PPU really), levelling areas aren't easy to find and the main ones are crowded most of the time, etc.

Frankly, the way to get through it is to ask for advice on how to get the grind done as soon as possible in the most painless way possible, getting help from vets, then actually enjoy the PVP at the highest level.

This isn't even beginning to go into how to get your rare weapons at the highest level.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

I was going to write up a little guide to leveling in NC, would that be of use? I'll see if I can bang something up over the weekend to lay out a basic path for levelling characters up through each stage, because it's frankly the biggest pain in the arse in the game and the quicker it's done, the better.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Kami chips got removed from the game a long time ago and it doesn't look like they're coming back ... :(

If you're genuinely interested in coming back, my clan is always looking for people who've been playing before and we can get you set up pretty quickly. Just DM anyone from Wolf Pack in-game and tell them Cosmo sent you.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Given that I don't have the time to post a big post on the state of things recently and how you should all return to playing, for now I'm just going to post a nice new PvP video that one of our clan guys made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TElEf8Q4c

(But I'll do a bigger post later).

landofcake
May 7, 2009

So I did promise a bigger post on where the game is at right now for people who might think about picking things up again.

Population has grown quite a bit recently due to a bunch of changes being made over the christmas period, with around 15% online on a good weekend evening, mainly due to players returning to check out the changes. This means there's lots of OP fighting going on at the moment if you're involved with one of the bigger clans, but more about that later. The specific changes that hit recently were:

- Pretty much every rare weapon was changed in some way to affect either damage or handling, for example:
- Disruptor now fires a very fast 6 shot burst.
- Slasher is now single shot with an absurdly fast fire rate.
- First Love now has a 4 shot burst instead of 2.
- Liberator, Pain Easer and a number of other guns now do very small quick bursts.
- All of the Ionic weapons were overhauled.
- APU damage increased dramatically.

This has shaken up the metagame a great deal, so we're no longer seeing a wave of Dreadfire pistol spies and we've actually got reasonable class balance in PvP at the moment. This is why we've got a bunch of other players returning. Right now, APUs do by far the most damage (usually using the Holy Frostration) but they're still a bit squishy. Spies do good damage and have roughly the same survivability as an APU, where PEs can do good damage but can take quite a bit of a beating. Tanks are viable at the moment but only with a select few weapons (like the Ionic Cannon or Devourer), but they do have fantastic survivability.

A few other things got changed with respect to PvE, generally relating to buffing certain high level mobs, which means that MC5 is a great deal harder now and Regants boss room is a lot harder to solo (but it can be done, even on an APU, if you're careful).

If you're levelling up a new character now, I'd probably go with a PE, remote repairing a Rhino until you get a fair way up your skills and then heading off and leveling using cannons, which will hopefully cap your CON. To do the last slog you might want to use drones in Regants or El Farid, and if you want to go for WoC I'd suggest using a Punisher (do-able with three MC5s in your head and three drugs) in Regants or El-Farid, but it's probably best to wait for a double or triple EXP weekend for this (which do come relatively often).

If you're wanting to return, by far your best bet is to get involved with a clan who can help you out with levelling, gear and getting involved with fighting. There's a few big clans active at the moment:

- Wolf Pack (us)
- Primarily US/British with a few Germans, English speaking.
- We're City Mercs and we effectively formed by a merger of sorts between SXR and 17th, but we've been picking up older players from all around the place. We currently play regularly and we're often OP fighting most evenings.

- TASA
- Mixed German/English
- Falk Keegan's Fallen Angels clan, though he hasn't been around in a few months so it's now pretty much run by The Destroyer and Shrinkle. Generally always on but in smaller numbers, so typically don't have enough to field big op teams. Could probably do with more members but I believe they're a bit lovely about recruiting new people.

- LG
- Mostly German, some English (I think?)
- Tangent clan who've been around for some time, disappeared for a bit but returned in force after the recent changes. Good set of guys, have some great players and generally quite nice. I believe they might be open to recruiting, but I don't know much about their active times and German/English balance, might be worth speaking to one of their guys in-game.

- Infected
- German only
- Infected might be the best clan on the server PvP wise, operating like a hive mind at OP fights. I believe they're basically just a bunch of friends rather than an actively recruiting clan though, so newer/returning players might be out of luck, especially if you don't speak german (they're Twilight Guardian by the way).

- Rebels
- English/German (I think?)
- A new Black Dragon clan that's sprung up in the last month or so trying to get bigger and become a reasonable force on the OP fighting scene. We've currently got a little understanding with them that we're not going to take their OPs while they get larger. Might be worth a punt if you're a new or returning player.

So that's where we are clan wise, and naturally there's all the tiny clans hanging around, but these are the largest ones. Now is a good time to return, especially if you've got capped characters on Titan already, but if you still need to level new characters after the move from Terra to Titan, then there's plenty of people who can get you up and running in no-time.

Naturally, any questions, just stick them here and I'll do what I can to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

gonna hop in and get my nostalgia on. Still haven't seen you guys on TS after checking for a few days, but yall should come shoot rats in the sewers with me.

This is a surefire way to remember the most lovely parts of NC :(

And yes, WolfPack have a clan TS. If you're interested in gettiing involved with us just ping anyone from Wolf Pack that you see kicking around and tell them that Cosmo sent you.

• Locked thread