Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I was quite surprised to find Neocron is still alive. I played it when it first came out and a for a few weeks of beta beforehand. Initially I was impressed; the postapocalyptic cyberpunk feel was perfect, and the idea of a MMORPG that looked and played like a 3D shooter was a cool concept that worked. I made a psi-monk and spent many hours shooting cyclopses in the abandoned basement, then huge hulking monsters out in the wasteland.

However, it seemed that after launch, the devs went into hiding. Bugs and balance issues lingered on and on. The only playable classes were monk and tank; private eyes did nothing well, and drones were horribly buggy, plus a player could walk up and kill your drones without soullight penalty. Actually, soullight had almost no teeth back then, so grief PvP was rampant.

I played for about 6 months, but the bugs eventually won. Vehicles were so buggy no one used them. The stock market didn't work half the time, and when it did work it spewed out cash like a broken slot machine. Hacking was useless; 2/3 of the hackable locks were so easy anyone could hack them, the last third were so hard you needed a character devoted to hacking, making him useless at anything else.

Worse, there was just nothing to do at high levels. I maxed out my character after 2 months, and then there was no place to go. The map was full of interesting looking places that were totally empty. There were outposts to take over and defend, but they made less money in a week than a good player made in an hour of farming. After 6 months I quit and assumed it would die soon.

It's kind of cool to see that the community has taken over, but things havent improved much. I downloaded the client yesterday, made a monk, went to my apartment (the nav-ray is still useless half the time), clicked on a chair, sank halfway through it and had to relog. I accepted the Mr. Jones mission to talk to some doofus in Plaza-1, and made my way there mostly by relying on old memories. Along the way, I clicked on the NPC at Venture Warp, and the game hung and I had to force-close the client. Logging back in and arriving at plaza-1, there was a marker on the edge of the screen for "Mr. so-and-so", but I couldn't lock on to it and gave up after 20 minutes of wandering. I made a new Tank and took the Mr. Jones mission, which had me get a bear rear end from a guy and take it to another guy at 'construction place'. The nav-ray for 'construction place' took me to a weapon shop. I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I played Neocron when it first came out (started in the beta, I think), and I remember it being a horrendous grind even compared to other games of the era.

Interesting. When I played it at launch, it was a bit grindy, but in one and a half months I had top gear and all the stats that mattered were maxed. Not powerlevelling, just normal play.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kazvall posted:

It's not hard to get max level. It was just a question of what to do at max level. It looks like we'll have something to do, soon. I might not even play that much, but I've got 4 characters I'd like to PvP with, casually.

Back then, there was nothing to do at max level. Nothing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ModeSix posted:

Farm rare parts and outpost wars were a thing back then. I was part of the volunteer gm team during beta and for a few months post-launch and on my actual character epic farming and outpost wars where were it was at. This is still a thing except no one really is active at it anymore beyond farming rare parts.

Outpost wars were a pissing contest; a high level dude could make more money in a few hours farming than an outpost made in a month. Also, hacking an outpost required one guy to be built completely for hacking, and therefore not be useless at fighting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Narsantana posted:

Been trying to get into it cause it looks cool to play but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, playing arround with drones but they don't do any damage at all against any enemy, I just fly there shoot at them see the blood fall but never any damage done.
Any tips for the newbie?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but the new server is pretty much for people who miss the Good Old Days of Neocron. If you're brand new... honestly, there are 829462 free MMORPGs out there that look better and have more polished mechanics. Try Neverwinter Nights or Marvel Heroes.

If you insist on going ahead with Neocron, don't start with drones. They were the redheaded stepchildren when the devs ran it; they've gotten some love, but still don't stand up to a good nuke-monk.

• Locked thread