Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I have a vague recollection of playing this back in the day. When I was a young man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Okay, I'm hopping on if only to see if my characters from all that time have survived. They definitely haven't, but worth a try. Plus, I like the idea that this is now 'open source'

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
:( They're dead, Jim :(

Shame, since I had four characters who had done all their epics and had nearly capped out.

Anyway, I created a Protopharm driver Spy last night, and gave him 50 in Willpower and Remote Control, with a little in Hacking too. Left him where he woke up, as it was late, but hope I can go into the sewers right off tonight, without wasting any points in pistols or somesuch. Unless it's useful to have a secondary weapon? There's so much I have to relearn.

EDIT - a few newbie questions:

1. Is droner-hacker a good combo?
2. If hacker is one 'tradeskill' I go for, will I have enough points to choose one more also? If so, which one is most useful for a doner?
3. Is there actually an ideal droner build out there for me to copy?

Exioce fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 21, 2014

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks. Another question, for the few distributable points drone guys get in psi, where should they put them? I considered psi resist, but then realised it would be useless as if you're found by an APU while your drone is out no amount of resist is going to save you.

Also, other than the quad, what other Mr Jones rewards are worth it? Are they similarly indestructible?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

They should all be similarly indestructible, although other than the quad the only really useful reward is the PE stealth tool which you can't get otherwise. MAYBE the barter chip you get for Smuggler, and I guess the secondary quest reward for the Soldier mission, heh.

Oh yeah, I will certainly want the soldier reward at some point. I remember now.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I managed to grind my Spy rigger to 20 this weekend on mutants. Dex and Int are shooting up but I'm having an impossible time raising Str and Psi. I thought missions might be the answer but the amount they raise Str and Psi by is virtually non-existent. Any tips?

Guess I should say I need Str for the bone implants that might give me a chance to react if some mutant spawns on top of me.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
My starter quad fell in some water close to Neocron and couldn't move (and it can't be despawned either!), so I made the painful run all the way to MB to kill some of those cyclops launchers, except at 27 dex it turns out my rigger is not quite ready. Oh well, back to Aggressor Captains in Plaza 2 I guess, and at least I tagged a fair few genreps along the way, including TH and Regants.

Anyhow, been wondering about factions and why the goon clan has gone with Black Dragon. Their epic is an apartment, so I expect it's nothing to do with that. Also, where do you guys hang out?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Interesting post by the devs about how they're balancing the various weapons in the game:

http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?155245-New-Patch&p=2225793&viewfull=1#post2225793

Looks promising, but I'm not playing much at all to be honest. I hope new textures are also round the corner because this game needs to feel new in addition to balancing.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Looks like patch 186 will be dropping soon

https://twitter.com/GM_Alduin

Mostly bug-fixes and balancing of weapons

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Patch 186 has hit the test server

quote:

Patch Notes R#186 - T#186

BALANCING
The frequency of weapons has been fixed. It does not depend on the player's skills anymore
Balanced the damage output of weapons according to their TL, see Alduin's post
Characteristics (frequency, shot count, handling, ...) of weapons have been left untouched

NETWORK SETTINGS
Changed the use of USELOCALPORT in 'path/to/neocron/ini/updater.ini':
USELOCALPORT=0 now randomises the port on every client launch
USELOCALPORT=1 means using a predefined port via LOCALPORT=xxx
The availability of randomisation allows multiple clients to be launched without player intervention

OUTPOST TURRETS
Outpost Turrets are available again
Outpost Turrets no longer move when fired upon or damaged
Outpost Turrets can no longer be placed inside of each other

AI UPDATES
CopBot AI has been updated to include previously unused/deactivated audio when ending dialogues, pursuing players, killing players, and upon losing their target
NPCs with the (currently unused) PMAN AI now stop and face the player when talking or trading with them
NPCs with the PMAN AI now correctly greet runners
NPCs with the PMAN AI now only flee from players with weapons and no other NPCs such as CopBots
NPCs with the (currently unused) WAITER AI now correctly hide/duck to "evade" players with weapons

MISCELLANEOUS
WORK IN PROGRESS - The display of NPC dialogue has been revamped. This is our first step to become more familiar with the implementation of the RPOS
Client.exe now has an appropriate icon, players who use Windowed Mode will be able to more readily identify the Neocron Client
New configuration options added to the driver dialog window, giving players control of the dynamic lighting of shots, casting of shadows and more!
The decrease of intensity from dynamic lights, with the distance from the light source has been flattened. Dynamic lights now cast light over longer distances
When leaving a clan the Runner will keep his sympathy rating towards the faction instead of getting the one from the clan
Locked messages for Gene Replicators, Venture Warps, Apartment Interfaces and Vendors have been updated
Players are no longer kicked for being AFK with a drone in flight. You will still be kicked for being AFK if the drone becomes idle
Behaviour of AoE weapons has been updated to prevent abuse by LE equipped players

http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?155324-R-186-T-186-Patch-Notes

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
It's very common with me also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
It's out :)

• Locked thread