Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:siren: Since all episodes will be released simultaneously, no spoiler tags are necessary in here. Read at your own risk!

House of Cards is a Netflix Original based on the BBC series and novel of the same name.

Kevin Spacey stars as Frank Underwood, the Democratic Majority Whip of the United States Congress. As Season 1 began, he was told that the President, whom he had helped elect, would not be appointing him Secretary of State as they had agreed. This sets Underwood on a course to seize power by any means necessary, with the help of his wife Claire and an ambitious young reporter named Zoe.

Throughout the course of the season, we saw just how far Frank was willing to go in his pursuit - up to and including literal murder. His personality is not that of a clear-cut villain, however. We also see him express genuine feelings of concern, friendship and love - particularly towards his wife, who is complicit in his actions but also struggles to earn her own identity.

By season's end, Frank had earned the offer of the office of Vice President - which he naturally accepted.

Starring:

Robin Wright as Claire Underwood. The head of a powerful nonprofit organization. As Season 1 ended, despite her rebellious nature to prove she is her own person, she was still firmly on Frank's side - or, more precisely, allied with Frank against the rest of the world.

Kate Mara as Zoe Barnes. By turns played by and playing against Frank, she is ambitious and vicious, particularly after she is fired from big-time fictional paper The Washington Herald and resorts to working an online gig. Her and Frank have a complex relationship, physically and emotionally intimate. She is seen to be piecing together Frank's plans.

And of course, Kevin Spacey as Frank.

Season 2 will be available at midnight, February 14th, all at once, on Netflix.

precision fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Being stuck in the snow is exactly why I'm going to watch as much of it as possible tonight.

On that note, gently caress snow I wanna be back in California. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean, it's not Netflix's problem if you have no self control. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The end of episode 1 was legitimately more shocking and terrifying than Game of Thrones' big shocking event last year. It being only the FIRST EPISODE, Kate Mara being listed in the opening credits as a starring cast member, the seeming importance of her figuring it all out... and then BAM. :tviv:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there's ever a Hollywood Discworld movie, Kevin Spacey needs to play Vetinari. :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

I'm still pretty drat impressed how they put that moment of silence with Frank at the end of ep 1 that automatically made you think "wait a minute, Frank hasn't talked to me this whole episode" and then a second later he does the wonderful "did you think I'd forgotten about you?" That's magical is what that is.

Gave me loving chills. Also, all the little glances to the camera he does are glorious this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good bleeding Jesus the last half of episode 4.

:suspense: :tviv: :supaburn:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, I saw the threesome with Meechum coming a mile away, but it was still awesome when it happened.

Also, the hacker guy has pretty good taste in music. :v:

One more episode to go!

Oh, and poor Freddy. :(

edit: oh, and somehow I knew the Christian girl would turn out to be a lesbian, I think I have "TV gaydar".

precision fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And... done. What a ride.

Why do people think Stamper is dead though? It's pretty obvious he's not, if they wanted to kill him off they'd have shown Rachel bashing his head several more times while screaming "YOU rear end in a top hat" or something. As it stands, I expect season 3 to open with him waking up with a headache and wandering into a diner to call Frank. What I'm wondering now is if he's going to "go rogue" and try to take Frank down. He'll probably relapse on his alcoholism too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I don't know, man, he looks pretty dead.

I must have looked away when that shot happened, fair enough. I thought the last shot of him was Rachel hitting him and running off.

That sucks, he was one of the best parts of the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Of course Stamper is dead why else would they do it exactly like Frank's ancestor I can't believe I even have to type this

Chill, I just missed the shot of him being obviously dead :shobon:

I wonder if the threechum scene will prompt a new round of Kevin Spacey refusing to disclose his sexuality. I mean of course it's his business yadda yadda, but it'd be cool if he finally officially came out. I can't imagine it would hurt his career or personal life in the slightest at this point.

edit: Frank's little looks to the camera were used so well this season. Pretty much every time he did it, it was like he was sharing a moment with the viewer, usually a "can you believe what I have to put up with" moment. Classic stuff.

precision fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doltos posted:

Huh? I thought he came out and everyone knew he was gay.

Nah, he just refuses to answer the question.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Corte posted:

Where is there any indication that she has any knowledge of Frank's involvement with Russo's death? The only thing I see is that it was a catalyst that brought Claire back to Frank. I honestly also don't think there is any indication that Claire is aware that Frank murdered either individual. She may suspect Frank's hand in Zoe's death but not directly and even that isn't a certainty.

No, sorry, it's pretty drat explicit that she knows he killed Zoe. Right before he does, she says "I'm sure you'll do what's best". Then the reporter he was talking about dies in a freak accident. Claire isn't stupid.

I was almost expecting Claire to kill Zoe while I was watching season 1.

I wish we could have somehow used TV magic to see the 1986 interview, not just hear the audio. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Combat Pretzel posted:

What was more confusing was the introduction of Feng and his autoerotic asphyxiation antics.

The confusing thing about that is that it never came up again. I was expecting Frank to somehow find out about it and use it as leverage, but nope, it was just a weird rear end scene.

spidoman posted:

This is my biggest issue with Season 2. It's as if Francis(and Tusk) are the only people who know how to do dirty politics.

Jackie, Remy, Claire, Feng, etc all did some very dirty politicking. :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Feng asphyxiation scene defines how we see him from every scene after that since it was how we were introduced to him. In a later piece of dialogue he states that he wants to "experience everything" or something along those lines - to Feng, having the ability to do that is power.

While I do kind of get that - and I'd say it was also a way to show the audience that he was very "progressive" for a high-ranking Chinese man, which gets referenced several times later - I was still expecting it to be a setup for someone to GOTCHA him. And I wouldn't rule that happening out in season 3, just like everyone thought Frank's bisexuality was a pointless reveal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He had the dude in college. I'm just starting episode 2, but can I assume he actually accepted the cufflinks because he wants dat Meecham rear end?

No, I think he appreciated the "F U" joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just gonna throw this out there:

I like Frank. Not in the self-denial "I'm still rooting for Walter White" kind of way, just that the way Spacey plays the role, it's almost impossible to NOT get enamored of the guy. If anything, Spacey is making him TOO likeable (though the scriptwriters putting in things like his relationship with Freddy don't hurt).

Maybe I'm Meecham. I sure wouldn't say no to that threesome!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I really like Gavin, partially because I like the actor playing him anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Walker was always meant to be taken as a joke of an ineffectual President. I guess the real world parallel might be someone like Jimmy Carter.

I know it's more or less impossible but I'd love an Obama cameo in season 3, since he's a fan of the show. At least get better cable TV journalists, Hannity was just terrible (but the others were fine).

Also, for a fun time, watch Veep right before this show. Good lord, what I wouldn't give for just one episode that's a crossover between them. Julia Louis-Dreyfus tearing into Frank would be glorious.

edit: Why did Claire want to get rid of Christina so badly? I assumed it was because of her ties to Russo, and Claire didn't like being reminded that Francis killed such a genuinely good man, but then she started doing the "hey First Lady, she might be banging your husband" bit, which could have just been a way of weakening the President with at-home stress.

precision fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 24, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

The creepy part of that scene, though, for me - and actually correct me if I'm wrong - but it gave the vibe Frank and Claire just can't be intimate without a third person proxy involved somehow.

It is entirely possible that Frank is actually just gay. "But Zoe!" I hear people saying, but he explicitly tells us that, in that case, it was not about physical pleasure at all, but about power. It's not like gay men are allergic to women, lots of gay men have had sex with women. Also, Kinsey Scale, Frank may just be very far on the gay spectrum.

So, you know, he loves Claire a lot and they're partners for life, but she just doesn't quite "do it" for him. Which also conveniently explains why he didn't care at all about her photographer boy toy.

The parallels to the many rumors about real life American politicians are, of course, obvious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

Is Veep actually worth watching and hot poo poo in terms of acting and story and stuff, or is it just an amusing pastime?

It's probably the most laugh-out-loud comedy in recent memory, especially season 2. The dialogue is whip-smart and furiously fast, and it has a more or less perfect cast.

If nothing else, watch the episode (S2E4, I think) where she goes to Finland. Dave Foley guest stars as Finland's prime minister's husband.

"You raped my tit."

edit: If I were to compare it to anything, it would be Archer, in terms of how fast and snappy the jokes fly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Breaking Bad spoiled me on "guy does bad things, karma shits on him" so I honestly would be pretty happy if they defied all expectations and had Frank just keep on winning, abolishing term limits and being installed as Emperor Pope Jesus of America 2.0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lucas was always a total d-bag and I really hope he isn't even around in season 3 at all.

Gavin is basically "Lucas without the lovely personality" and I'm looking forward to seeing what he and Cashew get up to. He's probably the most sympathetic character, too. His "gently caress you, I'm taking real risks" speech to Lucas was fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

I really hope Season 3 is all the bodies piling up and Frank keeping them all hidden, and season 4 let's it all come out. Or do that halfway through season 3 to keep it true to the UK run.

The "no spoiler tags" rule applies to the US version, please don't spoil things that happen in the UK version since they've been pretty faithful to it so far. I feel like season 3 just got more or less ruined for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

I don't understand what you mean by this but nothing was ruined for you, so you can feel however you like. I was commenting on the length of the series. House of Cards UK being 3 seasons long is not a spoiler. I haven't seen a single second of the UK HOC.

Ohhhh, sorry, the way you worded it sounded like you were spoiling what happens halfway through season 3, rather than commenting on whether there will be a season 4 or not. Sorry, and I'm glad I didn't get spoiled!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But even the worst things Rachel could bring to light about Frank are largely circumstantial or just plain unprovable. Even if everything came out, there would still be pretty much no way aside from some substantial Plot Bullshit to even begin to prove FU killed Russo. And all the other stuff, this being America :patriot: , nobody is really going to believe a former prostitute who murdered the President's chief of staff (or at least stole his car, and it's reasonably to assume his body will be found - 2 + 2) about much of anything. At worst, it would be a minor scandal.

I'm not even sure she will be around next season. Right now, Frank's biggest threat by far is the hacker. Rachel most likely doesn't even want to help bring Frank down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lesbian Church Girl reminded me a lot of Erin from The Office. I mean I even thought it was the same actress at first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zwabu posted:

"It was almost too easy, getting Ace and Eight Ball to shank Spider in the exercise yard. Two packs of cigarettes and the mere suggestion that Spider had impugned the reputation of the Aryan Brotherhood. Child's play, really. Such crude instruments, these men and the shivs they wield. Now the laundry room job is almost mine. I can see it. And from there I will be well positioned to implement the rest of my plan. But I must take care. The path grows ever more treacherous as I approach the summit."

Ahahaha, holy poo poo dude. :golfclap:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ultramiraculous posted:

Based on the years they mention, it's actually an alternate universe where Obama lost the 2012 election to Walker. There's multiple conversations where people are trying to figure out if Fronk wants to challenge Walker in 2016 or just wait until 2020. I think that's mostly just to keep year parity with reality, though. The setting really makes the most sense from a real life standpoint if Walker came after Obama's second term.

I would assume it's a Universe in which Obama doesn't even exist. We know Bill Clinton exists, and Sean Hannity, etc., but the best assumption is just "nobama" and Walker was the Dem nom instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe Zoe's killing may have been meant to mirror Vince Foster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Vince_Foster

Frank and Claire in general seem a bit on-the-nose in their Hilary/Bill dynamic.

I really don't see how Frank could get nailed with killing Zoe (heh) though. I'm sure Claire would give him an alibi, and there's nothing but circumstantial evidence. If he were a poor nobody, MAYBE, but he's the POTUS, unless the hacker finds some footage of Frank actually putting that disguise on and going to that subway station, he's clear of that one.

I feel like, if Frank does fall, it won't be from literal proof or prosecution, just dozens of small things that, taken as a whole, discredit him in the eyes of the American people (again, like Clinton was for much of America, for a time).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Friendly Factory posted:

I think GRRM would write a better version than Netflix.

...No.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Torka posted:

Nearing the end of the first season and although I like the show the Peter Russo character is badly written. They made him so stupid and incompetent and impulsive that it makes no sense that he's a congressman, a man like him would never have been able to make it that far.

I take it you don't keep up with American politics.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pinky Artichoke posted:

To be fair, you couldn't make a character like Frank a Republican without serious outcry on the part of the manufactured-outrage-based entertainment segment of the media. Instead we're in an alternate reality where apparently pre-Reagan Southern Democrats are still a thing.

They're called "boll weevils" and as someone with family in Tennessee, trust me, they are still very much a thing. poo poo, Frank is very reminiscent of the Governor that Tennessee had for 8 years (Phil Bredesen).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe in the House of Cards-verse a third party candidate won in 08, or a Republican who was pushing for social issue reform like "free weed for everyone".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The question is, what kind of a horrible President could a limp dick like Walker actually beat?

Thus, I propose to you that in this world, Palin won in '08.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's "Underwood", not "Underhill".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Can all UK House of Cards discussion be spoilered? I totally understand why people want to discuss it in this thread, and I think they should be able to, but given that a lot of people haven't seen it and elements of it might be used in the US version, it really should be tagged.

Yes, I think it should be, especially if they're using the same plot beats. The "no spoilers" rule is because of all the episodes appearing at once on Netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix is making money hand over fist, they're in the unique position of being able to just throw money at something like this or Orange is the New Black and not really needing to hold its content creators accountable to any kind of advertising or demographic. It would be nice if this caused other content creators to re-evaluate their business model.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If nothing else, I would think they may diverge wildly in season 3 for the very reason that it would be a curveball to UK-show watchers who think they know how it will all pan out.

At least, I'm hoping that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lyz posted:

I can't help but wonder if Frank isn't just completely gay.

I honestly think this may be the case, as I said earlier. Zoe was all about power, it seemed, especially in retrospect.

• Locked thread