Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This level is bad and annoying, but it looks pretty!

Seriously though, gently caress this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Keeping an eye on this one because J&D was still is one of the best platformers of that era.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
To all comers, new- and old-, I'm releasing the "HD Collection" equivalent of this LP midway through. Jak & Daxter runs at a gorgeous 60FPS on console, and now with some workaround, so does this LP!

To watch the 60FPS versions, opt in to Youtube's HTML5 beta at http://youtube.com/html5 then choose 2x speed from the video player settings icon.
Or you can watch it slowed down if you find it more entertaining.

This is just the first video so far, but I'm working on the rest and all future updates.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The sound is a little weird on the 60 fps version. It's noticeable when anyone but Instant Grat is talking (I don't know why he specifically sounds clean).

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

That's a product of how YouTube plays the audio at 2x speed. In most video players, when sped up 2x, audio sounds higher pitched because it's playing twice as fast.
Instead, YouTube only plays every other frame of audio, which eliminates the pitch shift at different speeds. VLC does this too. What you're hearing is the choppiness of audio from the cut frames.

I found this out when I tried to upload a regular slowed down video to YouTube, then hit 2x to find it was still in slow-mo voice.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm sure there must be a way to use ConditionalFilter in Avisynth to create a clip with audio every other frame rather than slowing down the audio across all frames. If done correctly, it seems like that should make it sound close to perfect coming out of Youtube - or be completely silent if you get the frames wrong.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
No, because compressed audio doesn't do that, you'll hit the Gibbs phenomenon head-on.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Sandover Village, Forbidden Jungle, and Sentinel Beach have been updated in the OP.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ViggyNash posted:

The sound is a little weird on the 60 fps version. It's noticeable when anyone but Instant Grat is talking (I don't know why he specifically sounds clean).

It's because the machines recognize me as their rightful lord and master.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

It's because the machines recognize me as their rightful lord and master.

You couldn't command your way out of a cyber paper bag.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Misty Island, Fire Canyon, and Rock Village have been updated in the OP. The zoomer segment in Fire Canyon in particular benefits from the better framerate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That lost city is hella ambient. Have we seen yellow eco yet? That seemed to be what it was mostly running on.

Which is weird, because blue eco is the electro kind.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Precursor Basin, Boggy Swamp, and Lost Precursor City have been updated in the OP. That means I'm fully updated on re-releasing the backlog! Just in time for YouTube to announce that actual 60FPS support is coming soon to YouTube, making this all wasted effort.

So have some effort put to good use instead: more dynamic music showcases!
Misty Island Mixes
Rock Village Mixes

I wouldn't have guessed Rock Village had 6 different versions, but it does. I like the warrior's drums and the levitation cannon's machinery.
Precursor Basin, Lost Precursor City, and Mountain Pass don't have dynamic music. Further proof that Boggy Swamp (with 1 remix) is the best level in the game.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I've stalled long enough because I love the 2nd hub so. Alas,

With youraveragejoe and the rest

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The 60fps one is super slow. Unless I have to do something magical to make it 60.

Fake Edit: I guess I have to move it to speed 2? That's weird.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
YouTube doesn't offer 60FPS upload capabilities for plebes like us yet, so the ghetto solution until that happens is to upload a 30FPS video at half speed and play it back at double speed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

YouTube doesn't offer 60FPS upload capabilities for plebes like us yet, so the ghetto solution until that happens is to upload a 30FPS video at half speed and play it back at double speed.

Oddly enough, the file required to do this is double the size of what it would be if Youtube supported 60FPS by default. But, if you upload a normal 60FPS file playing at normal speed, Youtube will drop every other frame but people can download the 60FPS source file via KeepVid.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 6, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Native 60FPS playback is coming to YouTube soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The part of that boss where you ran across an ever-shrinking walkway to deck him and avoid getting crushed was pretty neat.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Native 60FPS playback is coming to YouTube soon.

"soon"

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I would apologize for the delay in the LP, but this video is more than sorry enough.

With RJWaters2, Instant Grat, and special guests Heavy Sigh and HiipFire

necroid
May 14, 2009

Wow it's 2014 and I'm still not used to 60fps...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RJWaters2 posted:

I would apologize for the delay in the LP, but this video is more than sorry enough.

With RJWaters2, Instant Grat, and special guests Heavy Sigh and HiipFire

Ah yes, rødgrød med fløde. No surprise, you got it right on the second try.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 31, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What did he send, turkish pepper? The poo poo that's inside those can be bought on its own, you should send one of those to him next and have him eat all of it at once :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 1, 2014

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I'm taking a no-consume policy on anything Grat sends my way.
Better for your senses is a new video under this policy!

With RJWaters2, Instant Grat, and special guest Heavy Sigh

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RJWaters2 posted:

I'm taking a no-consume policy on anything Grat sends my way.
That just means I'll send you something worse. And by worse I mean the same stuff except dissolved in vodka.

edit: Found that star system Grat mentioned.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 6, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Turkish pepper vodka is loving amazing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I was actually talking about PSR J1748-2446ad :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The slam dunk is my favorite power cell animation, and it's funny to see it three times in a row.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Both on the first time I played this game and when I played the remake, I forgot that you just have to jump over the barriers surrounding the button things, so I spent so much time wandering the level, looking for a way to turn them off, before I finally gave up and looked up what to do. :argh:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Breaking this hiatus with a spooky new update! Check your arachno-, achluo-, spelunca-, and geloto- phobias at the door, because today we delve into...

Special guest FutureFriend + the regs

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird that the best part of that cave is the giant Precursor robot but they don't call it Giant Precursor Robot cave.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It's been a while since we brought attention to the dynamic music.
The OP has been updated with more of it!
6. Boggy Swamp Mixes
7. Volcanic Crater Mixes
8. Snowy Mountain Mixes
9. Spider Cave Mixes

Props to Snowy Mountain for 5 different mixes and Spider Cave's Precursor robot for having two mixes all by itself!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I lava good vehicle segment! It's the penultimate update...

With Loco and RJGraters2

And if you need some catchy uptempo, check the 3 dynamic music variations of the Lava Tube.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know why they needed an invisible wall two feet in front of a closed door.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I don't know why they needed an invisible wall two feet in front of a closed door.

Maybe it was easier to code the wall to disappear than it was to code the door to not open until you activated the teleportation gate? I dunno. Either way, we're coming up to probably the most frustrating part of the game for me.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It's been a great ride, gang! The final update!

With RJWaters2, Instant Grat, Suspicious Dish, Blindcat, SuccinctAndPunchy, Robust Laser, Mr. DJB, Vince Videogames, BallisticClipboard, Juuu, youraveragejoe, Heavy Sigh, HiipFire, FutureFriend, Loco, and JakOSpades

I loved all my guests so much I couldn't decide who gets the honor of seeing Jak off to the end. See y'all on the other side of that 100-Power Cell Precursor Door, another thread for another time.

But before you go, check out the dynamic music for Gol & Maia's Citadel and The Final Battle!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And almost nothing in this game ever came up in the sequels.

I never noticed the eco theming with the robot attacks when I played. That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What a wild ride. Thanks for the fun LP, guys. Looking forward to the next LP: a trip to the hospital after eating a fistfull of those spicy candies at once.

• Locked thread