Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shalinor posted:

I still can't get a good feel for whether bailing for auto-titan is a good use of the resource or not. Sometimes, they seem to survive for a LONG time, and it makes excellent sense to have one of those going to lay down more firepower. Other times they pop instantly. :sigh:

The trick to auto titans is babysitting them. Any decent player in a manned Titan who knows how to use the shield will decimate one. Also any pilot that mounts yours immediately puts it into a deactivated state so murdering pilots before they can mount for too long is key to a happy auto.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

I prefer the Ones controllers.

Why do you prefer the X1s controllers over the 360s out of curiosity. Been tempted to get rid of my 360 controller and don't know if I should just get a new one or upgrade to the PS4s/X1s.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 25, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

You do realize it is, in fact, called the One, right?

Moved the post to the correct thread but all of my friends refer to it as an Xbox and the more bitter ones as it's Xbone monkier.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I like the xbones controllers better as well. I like the tighter, springier joysticks and the tighter triggers as well - and the Home button is in a better place. D Pad is miles better.

I dont like the points at the tips of the triggers though, it makes them easy to hit by accident. Ive gotten used to it now, but it took awhile to adjust to.

For something like, AC4 would it be better than the 360s. The Dpad I've gotten used to or Stockholm syndrome is setting in and the triggers have me worried.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

I'm also in the camp that doesn't care that the NSA can spy on me through Kinect, since this is unfounded tinfoil hattery. Plus if anyone's actually concerned about this they could just power their machine down completely instead of putting it in standby. If Microsoft can record everything the kinect sees and hears and transmit it to the NSA while only drawing 2 watts of power, then props to them. Too bad instant on uses a poo poo ton of energy, considering I only used my xbox 360 like two hours a week on average and can't imagine I will use the xbone more than that.

I'm not sure Microsoft saying they are indeed sending data to the NSA as unfounded tinfoil hattery. You also wouldn't need to transmit it instantly you could record than transmit the next time the system is engaged. Or whenever Microsoft is asked to send it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

E: Anyway, even if it drew only 1 watt on standby instead of 15, I'd probably still not use it just because I don't want the kinect watching me at all times, but people thinking it's recording you and sending analytics to MS even when it's turned off and powered down? Complete tin hattery.

Has there been anyone in either thread that has said it's recording you when it's turned off?

Shalinor posted:

Yes. It's the same conversation they've been having since before the console was released. It was dull then, and it's dull now, and a bunch of people acting faux outraged over what MS could theoretically do with the data remains really, really uninteresting. The specific example given ("bu-but they know how many times X command was used!") is, like I said, metrics. Mass Effect devs also know how many times you've entered the IAP store, and whether or not you clicked on an IAP option before exiting the store (and whether or not you bought it or just backed out), and so on. I guarantee they're also tracking how many aliens have been shot, because that stuff is awesome for useless brag metrics.

Yeah metrics in game are being shared, fair enough. What metrics were they intending on gathering when the console was not in use?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

So is it only positive repetition is allowed or something? If not then why do people keep posting about updates or enjoying their purchase. We get it you like your console move on?

Seems like that would render any conversation about, well, everything over in a few pages.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

Well you said the magic words Microsoft spying on people, which we are still awaiting final confirmation on :D

Uh...I...can you....are you real?

He was commenting on other peoples suggestions to other people posting measures to prevent Microsoft from spying if Microsoft ever chooses to, not that Microsoft was spying. Did you just see those two words in his post or did you read it?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It means nothing.

https://twitter.com/De_Juan_Davis

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Using an emoticon in my one of two posts in this thread to voice concern over the same group of posters who keep bring up the same poo poo dozens and dozens of times over the course of two megathreads aren't the same thing.

Again what kind of posts are allowed to be reiterated on? Considering there isn't a whole lot of games out for it now there isn't really anything to talk about period that isn't just regurgitating a point already made.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 28, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Repeating yourself loudly is not superior to silence by virtue of producing noise.

I know you think that there's some faction here just repeating glowing points or something but I certainly haven't seen anything like that. The old thread had maybe 4-5 posts a day on slow days. Most of the post count in this thread (and that one) is just a rehash of arguments that are going to change no ones mind under the guise of protecting some straw msn consumer.

Hence why I'm asking what topics can be repeated. Do all the people talking about how they're having fun need to not post because we already get it? Should we just nuke the SimCity topic at this point since it's all just laughing at the shortcomings of the game?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

All things equal, yadda yadda. There are legitimate graphical disparity concerns, and an obvious power gap that's showing up in an obvious way, but it's very subjective if that's meaningful. One article pointed out that the narrative drive of "one system is more powerful" is probably more damaging that the actual manifestation of that power.

That's pretty obvious and why people talking about how they can't tell the difference are missing the point. The vast majority of the human race will pick a more powerful option if it's the same price. If it's also cheaper? You might not be able to benefit from the better graphics but you'll also be getting it for cheaper.

Either or the X1s limitations are just going to get worse as the generation goes and much much worse if sales don't pick up. Microsoft isn't being super helpful to devs this cycle and I haven't heard a single dev gushing about having to develop for the X1 so we could eventually be looking at them not giving a gently caress about the ports or attempting to maintain parity.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VincesUndies posted:

Phil Spencer confirms Microsoft has been experimenting with real-time ray-tracing

At least edit the link so it's not so click baity.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Seems like the tech and the One are tenuously related here. Also why on earth would anyone even bother writing an article on a twitter post about speculative tech.

Really if I can't see the beef there's no cow, especially in gaming PR bullshit.

To get you to click on it so the writers get site traffic. He literally never even mentions the X1. Just that they are doing internal testing. Which as has been pointed out everyone is doing.

VincesUndies posted:

Thanks. I fixed it for you.

Completely missed the point but alright.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saladman posted:

It's retarded Gold is necessary to use Skype etc, but does anyone actually use Skype/Facebook/web browsing on consoles? I've used it like once for the sake of a gimmick, then never touched it again. If I hated using the Internet so much, I'd buy an Apple Pippin.

It's pretty lovely that your all in one media center requires a subscription to use when you already pay a subscription for many of the services you use through it. Which is fairly indicative that Games for Gold will continue to be Microsoft style free.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

I don't really see many posts from genuine members of The One club that regret taking on their sacred membership, maybe I'm reading wrong though.

What is sunk cost fallacy, Alex?

IE:

Saladman posted:

Yeah I'm not so happy with mine right now ($650 just to play Dead Rising 3) but it's not a particularly big ticket item when I'll also have have it for like 8 years.

As it turns out very few people are like Saladman and will actually admit when they're disappointed with spending 500+ dollars for a next gen system when half of the reasons you bought it don't work that well.

BillyBlanks posted:

Yeah... that's disappointing. It doesn't make me want to throw mine out in disgust or anything, I just hope it's not so bad that it prevents others from buying one. My whole goal in getting the xbone was to be able to rejoin all my friends from xbox live. If they move to PS4... welp.

Then again I'm sure I'll be buying a PS4 at some point.

Barring deep DEEP price cuts I can't see the xbone moving units. It's apparently a neat cable box but people rarely pay that much for a cable box. If you want next gen games and a cable box a PS4 and Roku are 450, still under the price of the xbone. There are very few people who want that extra fifty dollars going to sticking them all on the same device, who also live in America and have enough living room space to make use of the Kinect and don't mind paying 60 a year to use their cable box.

Built by Redmond for Redmond.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The fable games are terrible, but isnt the new one a 4 player coop thing with a dungeon master that gets to gently caress with people? That sounds fun to me.

Uhhh, if fun is taken out everything people like about Fable in order to attach micro transactions to it then it's going to be a blast!

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/17/lionhead-studios-embracing-games-as-service-model-with-fable-legends/

No property, no marriage thing, no interactions with NPCs outside of the emotion wheel.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Nika posted:

I honestly cannot even begin to imagine the meltdown that were to occur if Microsoft or any game on the Xbox One were doing what the new Metal Gear Solid game is doing: charging like 15 bucks for some demo of the real game to come later--which will still be full price.

Or did I just massively misunderstand what that situation's really all about?

You mean the non existent meltdown that is already happening over a game that is doing the exact same thing on the Xbox one?

Click here to find out more!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Posted on Neogaf courtesy of RangerAce:

Giantbomb may be correct in their assertions.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So do you guy only want positive news related to the X1 or..?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VincesUndies posted:

They called the THIRD Infamous game "SECOND Son" :smug: :laugh: :negative:

That would technically be three though wouldn't it? Father, first son, second son.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

And I dont even know what the last sentence is supposed to mean. Was anyone debating that at all?

There were several people saying that it didn't dip into single digit fps and that goons were just spreading FUD.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

Idk man google it or something. Shalinor said as much about their game that's in development. Apparently MS is a lot easier to work with on that end than Sony is.

All Shalinor mentioned on this front was that it was a cheaper initial cost. So for very small devs it's easier to get into and then once you're in,

Shalinor posted:

There are a lot of problems with ID@Xbox, and it isn't clear yet if they can be worked around by we smaller devs.

Sony would be in a great position here to go "hey!" and sweep a lot of Microsoft's game support by making a few relatively cheap concessions. I doubt they will (they have plenty of support as is), but it would be a cute little cherry on top of their pro-indie marketing thus far.

In any case, what Microsoft is asking right now is more than most are willing to offer. They caved for Vlambeer, and if they don't do the same for others of us, you can expect that "big list of indies signed up!" to dwindle to nothing. Which'd be sad.

it looks pretty grim.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

You can stop there. Admitting plainly that you're trolling in Games, complete with calling me an autist (a word which has lost all meaning here) ought to be enough to make your frame of mind obvious.

He's saying hanyolo is concern trolling not that he is.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VincesUndies posted:

Uh oh. What does that mean? Does that mean Playstation 4 is selling more consoles than Xbox One?

It likely means they don't have enough penetration to make a good profit when considering the amount invested in the console and they're attempting to rectify that.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A c E posted:

This, it all depends on the devs. Even steam games you see this. Some allow you to start when the game is at 30% others not until 80%, the rest at 100%. I know a lot of the source games allow you to start playing before 50% or at least that's what I recall.

I forget if it was PvZ or Titanfall (since I doubt it was Forza) but one was available for me to play at about 30%.

I can think of exactly zero games that allow you to play before they're installed on the PC that aren't MMOs. I don't think Steam can even install things when you're playing a game through Steam.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

They'd recall the One and upgrade the ESRAM* before they'd let Xbox go.

You really overestimate how much Microsoft likes spending money to try and maintain a division that has been hemorrhaging money. During the 360's reign they had people talking about axeing the division because of how much money they had to sink into it to make it profitable.

Doing that again when your competitor isn't making itself look stupid?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A shrubbery! posted:

It's not really a fair question to ask, because he's either saying "yes I would support his decision and get rid of Xbox" "BILL GATES SUPPORTS GETTING RID OF XBOX BRAND, SHARES PLUMMET" or "No I would prefer to keep Xbox under MS even if he wanted to sell up" "BILL GATES HAS NO CONFIDENCE IN NEW CEO'S DECISIONS".

He works in the corporate world so he's no stranger to non commital run around. The fact that his answer wasn't "Of course I would support whatever the CEO decided. not MY decision HIS" is kinda weird.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

In context it doesn't sound quite so exciting.

"Gates, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft, said he’s been helping new CEO Satya Nadella transition into his new leadership role and that he would support Nadella if the new CEO proposed a spinoff of one of Microsoft’s units.

But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy."

That's even less in context that the one word tweet. There is not a single quote in any of that. Surmising someone's position is a a lot different than the words they said.

That said they're not going to stop backing it, because Xbox the brand- despite their missteps with the current iteration- is vital. It's probably going to change a whole lot within the next 18 months (sort of like how the rumors about Windows 9 seem to indicate it's basically Windows 8, minus the "gently caress you, do things our way." attitude), but they ain't selling their Chuck E. Cheese until they're in Atari levels of trouble.

Their android royalties are vital the X1? Not so much. What's vital is they keep relevant and a console marketed towards upper middle class people that want a cable box might not be the best way to do it because as you are evidence of they are already a part of your ecosystem.

They're not to a point where they'll take actions that drastic. I think they new CEO is going to be given a chance to fix a lot of the issues caused by their hosed up, toxic corporate culture before sacrifices are called for. By my estimation, Nadelle is going to look at something as iconic as the Xbox brand and choose to attempt rehabilitation, rather than punting. He's not the kind of ruthless Steve Jobsian leader who would clean house like that.

Oh he's absolutely not going to kill it anytime soon but rehabilitation is also extreme. I'd bet he's going to wait and see and if things don't turn around without plunging mountains of cash into it start winding it down.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Isn't the ESRAM thing basically just the Cell thing from last gen? As in, a hardware quirk that PC devs took a while to figure out if they even did at all?

The in-house Playstation game devs really picked up the ball there near the end, you have to give them credit where it's due.

It's too soon to get super worried about anything, I think.

Kind of. In a lot of ways the cell was worse since devs just hated it. ESRAM limitations can be gotten around but it's a lot of annoying hoops and obviously isn't too fun. But you end up with Microsoft needing to be willing to start throwing money at publishers to bother caring like Sony did.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I know what you are getting at with this statement but there isnt a lot that a more power system could have done with the art direction of that game.

You keep saying that but having a less powerful machine doesn't mean you'll get a treasure trove of style over "pixels". Consoles not made by Nintendo haven't historically been a great place for style over graphics. That may change because of id@Xbox but as a lot of indie deva have indicated Microsoft is being really lovely about the whole thing.

Microsoft atm doesn't exactly have a library of exclusives that value art style.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 6, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I always sense something like this under the surface in PC (master race) "discussions" but it's never addressed, because MORE POWER. Please, explain at length why I am in error, PC gamers (master race.) :allears:

I'm not sure what you want people to explain. Your sentence doesn't really make sense in the context of what you responded to. :shrug:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

I guess all these changes are down to Phil games Spencer, he's going hog wild over there.

I can guarantee you almost nothing that's been done was because of Phil Spencer.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

Here he is five weeks ago mentioning he wants to make changes to the gold pay wall

That's not how Microsoft's management works. Phil is literally there to assure people they care about games. Look we put a guy who care's about game's there!

Interviewer asking Mehdi

quote:

Does it have anything specifically to do with the recent change in leadership with Phil Spencer taking over?

Not really, for years now we’ve been trying to be very customer focused, looking to our fans and taking their feedback. You can track all the way back to E3, where after we got out we had a lot of good feedback about how you can play games, used games, and online connectivity. We’ve been very responsive, and this is consistent with that approach.

So it's almost certainly that they were monitoring sales of the Bone didn't see the uptick they were hoping for in March then saw Sports Rivals fail to become Wii Sports and pulled the trigger. Phil Spencer is there to distract people from the fact that for years they siphoned money off their customers and refused to stop until they were losing a lot of traction.

"Oh you mean you didn't like paying us money for nothing?! Why didn't you say so?"

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Soonmot posted:

I gave my nerdy little sister my 360 when I upgraded. Both Fallouts are on there, Skyrim is on there. Arkham Asylum and Origins along with Mass Effect 1&2 and other games I forget. All she uses it for is loving Minecraft. I consider taking it back everytime I hear that.

This isn't gamers.txt and you should really source your quotes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

zarron posted:

I am in this camp also. I have hope that if they are willing to bring something like Phantom Dust, then games like Crimson Skies are on the way too.

Yeah like Conker coming back!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I think it's less mismanagement and more "Oh poo poo, the PS4 is coming out WHEN?! (hits panic button)"

That's called mismanagement.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

The multiplayer has got me in the mood for some halo.

You list slow and floaty as a negative but you want Halo which is the progenitor of slow and floaty and also at 30fps.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Crafty posted:

Console fps games are generally slow and floaty to make it easier to hit things with a controller, I feel like destiny is even slower and floatier than halo though. It feels like a lower fov maybe? If anyone jumps I'm the air in close proximity to you - have fun trying to find them with the destiny fov +the exceptionally low vertical sensitivity + the crazy high jetpack boosts. I guess a part of the problem is that half of the time I am aiming down sights which obviously shrinks the fov massively and amplifies the slow and float issues. I'm gonna keep playing the crucible in beta to see if it grows on me as I become more accustomed but I do find the uneven playing field (gear wise) and the special moves kind of annoying.

Going vertical is what makes a game like this. When someone goes vertical so should you. Trying to ADS them on the ground should get you killed or there isn't a point to jumping other than getting to ledges to shoot from.

Halo has far more annoying specials than Destiny does and at least the particularly annoying ones (I have a gun that will now kill the next three people I meet.) don't come out that often. The gear issue isn't really a thing in beta all equipment in Crucible is flattened you will be missing the attachments from green weapons but they won't make or break most fights.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Wait, how is it money grabbing as gently caress? 5 bucks a month for unlimited access to games is a pretty nice deal if you want to play those games. I play Madden, Fifa, and Battlefield which would cost 180 dollars to just outright buy. Or I can pay 30 dollars per year.

Well lets see here pretty much anyone who wants to play FIFA already has bought it same for Madden. BF4 vanilla is pretty much the most useless thing on the list besides Peggle2. Oh you actually wanted to PLAY that'll be 29.99 for premium please and 60 for the game.

"If the first one is free how do you make any money?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Freaquency posted:

I don't own FIFA or Madden but would happily play them for $5/mo. If they managed to microtransaction it to hell or if it's nigh unplayable with just the base game then I'll discontinue my membership :shrug:

Cool it's super weird you never did since they've been offering the ability to do that for awhile now.

http://www.easports.com/seasonticket?tab=getting-started

It's even cheaper.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about

It's a lovely deal designed to get people with very little sense to pay lots of money for DLC.

• Locked thread