Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

BgRdMchne posted:

I keep hearing about burning man and it seems like a rainbow gathering for rich assholes, but with booze, portapotties, police, and cars.

Is that about right?

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

BgRdMchne posted:

I keep hearing about burning man and it seems like a rainbow gathering for rich assholes, but with booze, portapotties, police, and cars.

Is that about right?

Theres 70000 people ranging from the poorest poors that get there somehow to the most obnoxious billionaires that fly in to take a selfie and leave.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Think how much fossil fuels, garbage, and otherwise these people waste to celebrate communing with nature or whatever.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Think how much fossil fuels, garbage, and otherwise these people waste to celebrate communing with nature or whatever.

poo poo thats deep. I heard that Al Gore owns a house with electricity!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FRINGE posted:

poo poo thats deep. I heard that Al Gore owns a house with electricity!

Was he there?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Was he there?
No, I think the orgy dome instituted a "no Secret Service" policy so he probably went clubbing baby seals again.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Nobody makes the pilgrimage to Black Rock City in order to lower their carbon footprint.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

BRC is not a good fit for Thoreau-style communing with nature completely independent of "it's really hard to get there".

1) it's never very dark
2) it's never very quiet
3) you're never very isolated
4) all the nature is trying to kill you

I'm not saying nobody thinks of it that way, but I would be surprised if that view was very widespread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, if you want the 'communing with nature' experience, you'll need to roll out to the Playa in mid-June, when it's usually pretty dry but before the BRC build starts.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Even then, there's still Gerlach only 16.6 miles away.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Anyone going to Playa Del Fuego in Delware this weekend? Somehow I'm thinking it's not likely, but I figure it might be fun to meet a burner goon. (My camp isn't doing it's normal, aka busy, thing due to an unforeseen accident at Spring PDF among other reasons).

Also! Anyone been to Transformus? I'm trying to get my camp to go next year and any positive stories would help. It's a ten hour drive for us, but I've heard good great things!

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Terminus posted:

Anyone going to Playa Del Fuego in Delware this weekend? Somehow I'm thinking it's not likely, but I figure it might be fun to meet a burner goon. (My camp isn't doing it's normal, aka busy, thing due to an unforeseen accident at Spring PDF among other reasons).

Also! Anyone been to Transformus? I'm trying to get my camp to go next year and any positive stories would help. It's a ten hour drive for us, but I've heard good great things!

I had tickets to go the Fall PDF but decided to skip this year due to the inevitable mud pit it would turn into. Judging by the Facebook posts, I was right. Spring should be fun though! I do hope they pick another location at some point that doesn't turn into a swamp at the slightest sign of moisture.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Yeah, being in a swamp in DE seems to amplify the mud from any given storm. It was bad enough that my friend got his 4 wheel drive truck stuck in the mud for a while after trying to help someone. Were you there last Spring? My camp is somewhat responsible for wristband numbers actually corresponding to a name and contact info this burn!

Also, on a serious note a burner died at Fall PDF this year. Apparently it was an older guy who passed in his tent Sunday night/Monday morning. No real details yet, but I could see a variety of reasons this year, as it was not an easy burn for anyone... :(

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I've managed to avoid getting stuck despite driving a sedan. I was there for spring! My group camped in the backfield as Tarp City and our thing was distributing electric screwdrivers (redbull + vodka + OJ) to get everybody going in the morning.

Fall PDF also got featured in some newspapers as "the secret delaware burning man". Not because of the death I don't think.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/10/playa-del-fuego-delawares-answer-burning-man/91874632/
Cue all the folks who forget about the inclusivity part and moan about how it's ruined now.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

IronDoge posted:

I've managed to avoid getting stuck despite driving a sedan. I was there for spring! My group camped in the backfield as Tarp City and our thing was distributing electric screwdrivers (redbull + vodka + OJ) to get everybody going in the morning.

Fall PDF also got featured in some newspapers as "the secret delaware burning man". Not because of the death I don't think.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/10/10/playa-del-fuego-delawares-answer-burning-man/91874632/
Cue all the folks who forget about the inclusivity part and moan about how it's ruined now.

Hey backfield buddy. :respek:
I'm with Camp Wrong Way, we bring the climbable scaffolding, aka Love Tower, aka the Backfield Beacon. For the first time, and despite safety railing around the whole drat thing someone fell off last Spring.Coincidences being what they are though we had made a bar for that burn out of plywood that we built entirely with the intention of burning on Sunday and when the guy fell on it he crashed through and it managed to break his fall. 25 foot fall with only a few stitches thankfully, although it did bum out pretty much everyone at our camp as they all felt responsible and thought he was worse off then he actually was. He was even back on Monday to get his stuff and he got a burner name, Dan Lazarus. His name is Dave.

And yeah, I never really understood the fear of more burners thing. I feel like burns are good at weeding out people who are just looking for a low effort outdoor party. Maybe the prospect of more burners will be enough to get PDF to up it's search for a new location though. The current location is good for now but I've heard of some problems with the vets, mainly in regards to female burners, and being more than 10 feet above sea level can't hurt.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Terminus posted:

One of my favorite regional burns, prepare for rain.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Terminus posted:

Hey backfield buddy. :respek:
I'm with Camp Wrong Way, we bring the climbable scaffolding, aka Love Tower, aka the Backfield Beacon. For the first time, and despite safety railing around the whole drat thing someone fell off last Spring.Coincidences being what they are though we had made a bar for that burn out of plywood that we built entirely with the intention of burning on Sunday and when the guy fell on it he crashed through and it managed to break his fall. 25 foot fall with only a few stitches thankfully, although it did bum out pretty much everyone at our camp as they all felt responsible and thought he was worse off then he actually was. He was even back on Monday to get his stuff and he got a burner name, Dan Lazarus. His name is Dave.

And yeah, I never really understood the fear of more burners thing. I feel like burns are good at weeding out people who are just looking for a low effort outdoor party. Maybe the prospect of more burners will be enough to get PDF to up it's search for a new location though. The current location is good for now but I've heard of some problems with the vets, mainly in regards to female burners, and being more than 10 feet above sea level can't hurt.

Oh man, I had heard about the guy falling at Spring, glad to hear he came out with minimal injuries. We didn't hear much more than "dude fell off the tower."

Fall PDF was my second burn, I was in mid-backfield with Kinky Tiki. We didn't do much on account of not enjoying slogging through 6" of mud to get anywhere, but it was still a pretty great time. Wrecked my shoulder helping shove stuck cars out of the mudpit on Monday though.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Is anyone attending Florida Afterburn next weekend?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Terminus posted:

I've heard of some problems with the vets, mainly in regards to female burners

Whats this?

Terminus
May 6, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Whats this?

Cat calls, whistles, etc directed at some of the less clothed female burners. I've never actually seen it happen, but I hear about it often enough that I don't doubt it happens. Just one of a few reasons PDF should try to find some new land.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
http://tickets.burningman.org/

Little bit later than usual.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
$475 or so per ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Holy poo poo, no wonder the only skin color you ever see in pictures from burning man is white.

• Locked thread