Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Are you asking me to be rational? Because I just don't think that's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Talks are underway to renovate BMO Field to be the new home of the Argonauts (Page 6).

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Moving out of the 80% vacant skydome would be one of the best things to happen to the Argos in a long time. Maybe even up there with Eric Tillman takinga handful of sleeping pills and giving them Ricky Ray in exchange for some magic beans.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

What's the deal with Tillman? Everything he touched in 07 turned to gold except for the baby sitter and since then he's been erratic crazy man. The stars aligned that year for sure.

e. z

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Got sober.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Have some fun this Sunday morning by watching the 40-yard dash at the combine.
http://cfl.ca/page/live-now-2014-cfl-combine-40-yard-dash

Cool stuff how they're choosing to youtube livestream it for more accessibility to the fans this year.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Durant just resigned in Sask for multiple years :argh:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Chad Johnson just signed in Montreal

Queue the quatre-vignt-cinque jokes

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

fits posted:

Durant just resigned in Sask for multiple years :nsa:

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
OchoCinco is almost assuredly washed up but I'm still bummed out he didn't end up with the Lions on the off chance that he's at 80-90% what he used to be.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Considering that the CFL is maybe 50-60% of what the NFL is, a bit less would still put you in the green

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
This is technically Canadian football so I'm going to talk about it here. The spring season for kids going into high school (Midget league) just finished here on one of the crazier plays to end a game, especially a championship game, I've seen.

Tier 2 Midget league championship game - Shock vs. Grizzlies.
Last play of the game, score is 22-17 for the Grizzlies. Shock have the ball on the Grizzlies' 7 yard line. Shock try running the ball up the middle, the RB fumbles at about the 2 yard line. The ball rolls over the back of a Grizzlies player and goes into the endzone. One defender accidentally heel kicks it backwards, ball is about 8 yards deep in the endzone, and the players have finally figured out where it is. One Shock player manages to jump out and reach for the ball, getting his hand on it and gripping it for just long enough for the officials to decide he has possession - he had it knocked out of his hand pretty quickly after and then a player from each team jumped on it at the same time but that was after whistles went so it didn't matter. 5 minutes of arguing from everyone on the field followed but the decision stood, Shock win 24-22. Didn't even bother running the convert since one team was too dejected and the other was too busy celebrating.

Crazy play to end a game, and it just makes me want more football and want it now dammit.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
video review on pass interference calls next season :toot:

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
There really shouldn't be any limit on what you can use video replay to review. You want to waste a challenge on something there's no way video could overturn, knock yourself out. Think a player got 5 yards instead of 4 on a first down run, sure go ahead.

CFL posted:

Pass Interference Video Review

Coaches are now allowed to challenge both called and potential defensive pass interference fouls under certain conditions.

The new rule now provides a team with the ability to use any and all of its Coaches' Challenges to challenge a called or potential pass interference foul up to the final three minutes of a game. In the final three minutes of a game, and overtime, a team can only challenge such a call or non-call one time, and only if it still has an unused challenge and a timeout remaining.

A coach must challenge to trigger a video review of a pass interference call or a potential pass interference call. They will not be subject to automatic review by the Command Centre.

An unsuccessful challenge of a potential pass interference foul in the final three minutes will result in the loss of a timeout. An unsuccessful challenge of an actual pass interference call in the final minutes will not result in the loss of a timeout.

The CFL is the first football league to subject pass interference to video review.

The role of the Command Centre has also been expanded to automatically review specific turnovers of fumbles lost and interceptions, and can now detect illegal participation fouls during a play (when a player returns to the field after voluntarily leaving it).

As far as video review of pass interference goes, I'm glad that it isn't an automatic review, but the fact that you can only challenge a PI (whether there should have been one or not) in the last 3 minutes of the game or overtime seems pretty strange. I also don't like that it only applies to defensive PI and not offensive PI. But again I'm for lifting all the restrictions on what can be challenged and when.

The other approved rule changes are these

CFL posted:

Approved rule changes to further protect the health and safety of CFL players:

• Eliminating low blocks below the waist, other than those delivered to the front plane of a player, in all areas of the field except in the area between the tackles and two yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

• Outlawing peel back blocks, which occur when a play changes direction in the backfield, forcing the defender to modify his pursuit, making him susceptible to blind low blocks executed by an offensive player moving toward his own end zone.

• Clarifying the rules that make it illegal to "deliver a blow" to an opponent’s neck or head, and when it is illegal for a player to use their helmet to hit an opponent, standards already followed by officials but not yet codified in the rule book.

• Requiring an injured player to leave the field for three plays regardless of whether a penalty was called on the action leading to the injury (players currently have the option to stay in the game if a penalty was called on the play.)

Other approved changes to promote scoring and improve the flow of the game:

• Allowing quarterbacks for each team to use their own team supplied Wilson footballs, provided they have met the "new ball" quality standard established by the league.

• Allowing centres to bob their heads multiple times in an effort to signal timing of the snap of the ball (to be used by visiting teams coping with noise in stadium).

• Allowing offences to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defence to substitute.

All the player safety stuff seems fine to me. Nobody wants to see a bunch of injuries.

Not allowing the defence the freedom to substitute whenever they like could be an interesting one. I'd expect (and hope) to see a lot more no-huddle offences with that rule in place. Also gives the offence a chance to exploit a defensive mismatch a little more easily if they spot one they like.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Faxman posted:

• Allowing centres to bob their heads multiple times in an effort to signal timing of the snap of the ball (to be used by visiting teams coping with noise in stadium).

I'm calling this the Riders Rule. Should help out some teams when they visit Regina. Like say at the last Grey Cup.

I chuckle a little every time I see that clip but I actually felt kind of bad for Burris when it happened.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I still can't believe Henry just looked back at his center when that happened. Botched snap in the championship? Better give your lineman a wtf look instead of charging after the ball like the life of your team depended on it.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
The impression I get from Burris is he doesn't think anything is ever his fault, and he gets upset when someone makes a mistake. Any time a receiver drops a pass or runs a wrong route (or just not the route he expected) Burris seems to go screaming after them.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
... And now we have to trade Mo Price. The Stamps can't tolerate homophobic comments from within the team's ranks, even if the player in question is one of the team's best.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ideally there won't be anywhere willing to take him and he just gets cut and his career flames out and he can go back to Florida and preach his garbage in some bullshit know-nothing convent for the rest of his days.

e: Or he tries to make the NFL and the Rams option him as the greatest troll job in recent sports history

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Not only is it he blames them, but he is willing to do it in play, clock running, angry men bearing down.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

So is Dan The Fever going to be the starting QB of the Tiger-Cats because if so Go loving Tiger-Cats

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
He's probably going to be the number two behind a guy named Zach Collaros. He had eight starts last year for Toronto and looked impressive enough that the Cincinnati Bearcats product was considered a prime free agent this off-season.

Here's something interesting for all you Ti-Cat fans out there: the combined career sum of completions tossed by all of the quarterbacks currently on that roster is less than 250 and they have 17 TDs to 9 INTs.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not no more

:vince:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Is the CFL dead for the season yet?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Wait, so now where are the Argos gonna go when they get kicked out of Skydome Rogers Centre?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Wait, so now where are the Argos gonna go when they get kicked out of Skydome Rogers Centre?

A rebuilt Varsity stadium?! I don't see them getting kicked out, it might just turn into a year by year lease situation while the BMO/alternate plans decision goes on.

Good news that the CBA talks are at a standstill, it's really bringing out the anti-unionists that just love hating these greedy players while the poor victim owners are losing profit because this is an unfair world.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!
I made the mistake of reading the comments on the TSN story. I would love to ask some of the out of context how much money it would take to spend every 2nd weekend away from your family, have every action of yours scrutinized by millions (well probably more like thousands) of people, possibly moving in a moments notice across the country, and risking major injury. :(

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Good news that the CBA talks are at a standstill, it's really bringing out the anti-unionists that just love hating these greedy players while the poor victim owners are losing profit because this is an unfair world.

This is always dumb bullshit, but it's especially bad when you're talking about a league where the average player gets paid well under $100,000 and still destroys his body as much as the players in the richer leagues.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MakaVillian posted:

This is always dumb bullshit, but it's especially bad when you're talking about a league where the average player gets paid well under $100,000 and still destroys his body as much as the players in the richer leagues.

It's especially dumb because even if you don't care about the players at all you think you'd recognize that a higher payroll would only help obtain and retain talent in the league.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Danny LaFever posted:

It's especially dumb because even if you don't care about the players at all you think you'd recognize that a higher payroll would only help obtain and retain talent in the league.

The players definitely should get a cut of that sweet new TV money, but where else are the players going to go? Arena League? Is there any other pro football league still in operation?

I doubt the players will be able to survive a long strike, and don't have much leverage.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more of those bubble guys that take a shot at the NFL and sit on the practice roster chasing the dream. A bigger pay cheque might just see the John Chick's of the league stay in Canada for their football careers.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It would be peak CFL for them to finally become stable and prosperous only to self-detonate like this.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Please save us from ourselves, League. I don't want that new roofless stadium in Regina to be useful for 5 months of the year.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

At least you'll be saving money on your water bill! Oh wait.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Kackert retires.

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
Dave Randorf is leaving TSN for Sportsnet. Too bad, he was a good host.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Tentative verbal CBA agreement reached! Things on track to go as scheduled :toot:

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
:toot::siren::dance: THERE'S FOOTBALL TONIGHT :dance::siren::toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

I am happy about this pre-season game start and am getting used to all these names that will eventually be released because they suck.

• Locked thread