Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You're just going to leave that hanging colon in the title, are you? Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Doctor Who: Yes, we know who you are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I'm good for the next 6 months.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just got to the end of ep 3 of UNIT: Dominion. Saw that one coming a mile off. Raine is a complete non-entity of a companion. Does she get better?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hell, if you know a bit of Latin, the title virtually gives it away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The Keys of Marinus is pretty much a video game fetch quest, and I love it for it. I whish we'd see something like this in the modern show. Some plot having the Doctor travel around adventuring in different weird places for a couple of episodes.

"Doctor... The Key to Time is required once more."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, that's what Moffat generally does. I think Eleven pulled out the psychic paper for such a thing once, and it failed.

One of my favourite Smith moments.

The Doctor (holding up the psychic paper): "This proves I am a mature and responsible adult!"
Young Kazran: It's just a bunch of wavy lines.
The Doctor: Oh. I broke it. Finally a lie too big.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

I kind of hope they keep the whole Coal Hill thing as a cute coincidence and nod to the older series, and not the center of some big decade-spanning metaplot retroactively applied to Hartnell's run.

Every time Moffat talks about upcoming developments in the show, my penis sort of shrinks inside my body.

Nope, it turns out Coal Hill is now dedicated to churning out companions in potentia for the Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Action Man posted:

I can't be crazy for assuming it's only a matter of time until William Russell returns for an Ian Chesterton cameo, right?

And if Capaldi doesn't call him the wrong name at least once, even in affectionate joking, there's no justice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

I spend time specifically for them only. Make a cup of tea, throw some headphones on, lay back and enjoy. Or when I go to bed, like you said. I guess they'd work for walks or biking too but much more extra activity than that and I don't really focus on the story any more and miss bits.

They're perfect for walks or long car drives. I can attest. I listened to virtually the whole of S1 of the 8th Doctor ones (starting with Blood of the Daleks) as I drove across Washington state.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Looke posted:

Just watched Utopia on tv. Completely forgot what an excellent episode it is. Probably my favourite of the Tennant era.

As soon as he pulled the fob watch out, I remember being like "oh hell no".

The final ten minutes of Utopia, from the moment he pulls out the pocket watch, is one of the best bits of revival Who for me. The Doctor screaming at Martha "What did he say?!" as he realises exactly what's about to happen.

If you've seen Time Crash, you can read Ten's :stare: face as him remembering being Five and meeting future-Ten who told him about having just met the Master and realising that that time is now...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm trying! I've just added Enemy of the World, The Dæmons and Masque of Mandragora to this behemoth:

There are only so many hours in the day though!

EDIT: gently caress, just bought Planet of the Giants, the Peladon Tales set, and The Black Guadian Trilogy for cheaps from my local CEX. I have officially run out of room. :saddowns:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I still don't see Vengeance on Varos...

Do I have to make a trans-continental flight, come over, and lock all your doors? Because I will.

More C.Bakes is definitely on the wish list. Especially Vengeance and Trial. :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Well, with Star Trek you could just have a new starship with a new crew/actors. “These are the voyages of the starship Riker’s Beard."

The adventures of the USS Titan would be fun. The downside is missing out on the visuals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Screw Star Trek or James Bond. I want to hear what Big Finish would do with the Buck Rogers licence. :swoon:

I'm all aboard for some Terrahawks action! :dance:

"Terrahawks! Stay on this channel! This is an emergency!"

Such a shame Windsor Davies has passed on. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If I was going to get a Who tattoo it would be one of the TARDIS after it lands in The Invasion

Clever. You could get a UV tattoo of the TARDIS..?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Maybe someone can help me with remembering an episode…

It’s a Sixth Doctor serial. Colin Baker walks into a room, immediately points off-screen, and yells “VILLAIN!” Followed by several other unflattering terms.

I’ve had that image stuck in my head since last night and I can’t, for the life of me, remember which story it’s from!

Are you mis-remembering the 6th Doctor comic story 'Voyager'? There's a scene where exactly that happens.

EDIT:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 7, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Ok, one, that's absolutely awesome and now adorning my office wall.

Two, no, I definitely remember seeing it on TV. It's pure distilled Colin.

Here, I found the clip in a fanvid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7EnhqkBXPgw#t=95

You should get the Voyager graphic novel, it's really good. Also, huh, I've never seen that before. I need to watch more Colin. We all know how pitifully small that section of the DVD Behemoth is. I don't even have what some would call a classic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

So, what happens if you stand in front of the mirror in a darkened bathroom and say “Colin Baker, Colin Baker, Colin Baker?”

All the doors in the house are suddenly locked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I wish we could get a Paul McGann web series... Start a kickstarter BBC and we'll nerd-fund it.

Get that nice Ian Levine in to help, he knows about kickstarters!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Action Man posted:

What is that from? I need to know so I can own it.

The EDA audio 'Horror of Glam Rock'. Pretty average story but with a 'base under siege' plot in a motorway service station.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Action Man posted:

It would only be better if it was a multi-Doctor multi-Bowie story.

Starring Bowie, the Thin White Duke, Jareth and Ziggy Stardust?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm meeting T.Bakes next week! :3: he's doing an 80th birthday signing in London. It may be his last ever though :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, the BBC Who site has a Hitchhiker's-esque guide to the Zygons. In it, it has this image:

:stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Haha, holy poo poo what.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3gk3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

The humans use living ORGANIC technology

their MOTHERS

whose lactic fluids are used as a FOOD SOURCE

We don't have mothers strapped into milking machines like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Just saw an ad for that WWE Studios movie Oculus and it's weird hearing Karen Gillan speak without her native Scottish accent.

I guess it shouldn't stand out as odd to me since a lot of actors like John Barrowman do it all the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in Guardians of the Galaxy. Presumably she won't be using the accent there either.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Does anyone have an high resolution version of this picture? They pushed Windows 7 through to our office this weekend and I need a new desktop...

This high enough?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 25, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Just finished Jubilee this morning (yay commutes), and while it is very good, I feel like I missed an explanation as to why it all happened.

Also, "I kept trying to escape so they cut off my legs." jeeeeesus. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wish they'd have a crack at some of the BBC EDA books to adapt to audio. They've already had an actor play Fitz, just get him back, and then find a Sam or Anji.

OR in the same vein, they could tap the PDAs too. I'd love an audio of Festival of Death, and now they've got Tom and Lalla, they could! Or Sylv and Soph for Illegal Alien, as I love that one.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 29, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Here is a Doctor Who related tattoo image, which is funny because people kept trying to think of in-universe reasons for it:

It's his Time Lord criminal brand! :byodood:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 2, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Tattoos? Rings? Next you'll tell me the Doctor uses guns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Hope it's okay to cross-post about the Doctor Who: The Adventure Games LP thread I started in here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621750

It's not a very fun game to play, but I think it has some merit, so I think an LP is a decent format to experience the game.

I've always been really torn with it because on one hand it's an abysmal game, but it's clear the people making it really do know and get the show.

The problem with Doctor Who is that any video game based off it needs to be absolutely massive in scope and options.

Point and click is a perfectly valid way to go, but it needs something of the scope of the Lucasarts games (Monkey Island or The Dig especially) with all sorts of conversation options and big inventory and whatnot.

OR it should go the RPG route and be a big Mass Effect style game, giving the player to interact with all sorts of characters, explore a wide variety of detailed and populated locations, complete all sorts of side-quests and so on. Let the player create their own Doctor character and deal with problems how they see their Doctor dealing it with them (diplomacy, jiggery-pokery or Mr. Rock).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

EdBlackadder posted:

UK Goons, I just saw an advert on TV and it seems that Horror Channel has bought the rights to the original series. No mention of when they'll be shown though.

There are Horror Channel classic Who adverts on the side of buses too, and that makes me so happy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

If you see Colin's face on one, drop everything and get me a picture.

ALL GLORY TO THE COAT.

The Coat is life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Your duty is to screencap choice cuts and report back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good news everyone, I've started dating a guy from Zimbabwe. We'll have our own in soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Pop-art Colin Baker on a city bus.

I never thought I'd live to see the day :allears:

It's still not quite as good as Iron Man pose C.Bakes from the advert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Saw Oculus last night (solid B+ horror movie, the plot would have been right at home in the Hinchcliffe years) and I will say this for Karen Gillen - not once last night did I see her on screen and think of Amy Pond.

Oh that's good to know. I'm looking forward to seeing her turn in Guardians of the Galaxy too. Glad to know she's actually got range.

• Locked thread