Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

There was some discussion about the Monday Night Wars show in the other thread. Looks like it's starting "this Summer".

My guess is that they will use that to push subscriptions after the 6 month commitment ends for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hahaha, Buddy Rose diet plan. This kind of stuff is gold.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

This kind of cheesy stuff is a large part of why I wanted to get the network. I love it.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Me too, buddy. Me too. :allears:

I am going to be so loving sad if this is anything less than a rousing success.

My only fear is that they are going to only show 2-3 of them and run them into the ground like WWE loves to do.

Edit: Wrestlemania!

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Man, watching old episodes of Raw is awesome. Seeing Shawn Michaels win a title match with a suplex was kind of weird, and the promos are hilariously bad...and makes me quite nostalgic.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Is it just me, or was Paul Bearers urn much smaller than the one of recent years?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

This Raw is just full of random hilarity. Doink showing up at the end of the show to just run around the ring for a minute, a Woody Allen/Mia Farrow Steel Cage Match promo, Macho Man sucking as an announcer, etc. etc. etc.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

You know, I like this low production Raw look more than the glossed up Nickelback horseshit that hasn't changed in ten years.

Me too. It's just so fun. Even watching the rundown of all 30 Royal Rumble participants was fun to see.

I miss the backstage promos :(

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I doubt they'll ever make it, but I'd love to see some of the cheesy Saturday Morning shows of the 80's, or WWF Primetime.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So I'm noticing that the Raw Rewind shows aren't in the archives, and the only way to access them on demand is to go back at the schedule.

I'm really hoping that they won't pull these off the air really soon after airing them live.

Edit: I found the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th RAW episodes by choosing "All" in the In-Ring section...but they aren't showing up in the Raw Rewind or any other sub-group. The 1st episode that aired yesterday is not there at all (and the schedule doesn't allow you to go far enough in the past to view it). That's going to suck if they only leave things like this up for 24 hours.

Edit #2: Ok, it's in the Raw Replays section if you filter by the 1993 filter, but not if you use oldest to newest, or any of the other filters. Hopefully just some early hiccups.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 26, 2014

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe they are still trying to get Sting a contract so they can have him as a talking head for the WCW perspective

I have a feeling that the plan is to use that to ensure people keep the subscription going after the initial 6 months. It seems like this would be a big draw, along with Summerslam.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Nice, I've been watching to watch this Countdown show and didn't want to bother with the buffering VOD.

Or not - I'm getting buffering on the live show for the first time.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I'm already tired of this John Cena short that they seem to show between every show.

Give me more embarrassing music videos!

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Come on Russ Greenburg! You can beat this evil sumo wrestler.

USA! USA! USA!

Edit: Poor Russ, I thought he had this one (final career record, 0-36).

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

triplexpac posted:

What is going on with this "Macho Man doesn't have a mic" gimmick? It sounds like he's calling from 1-800-COLLECT

Apparently he's in a battle with Rob Bartlett to determine who get the mic. My nostalgia for the old announcers has been squashed...at least when it comes to Raw.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

All of these jobbers need to take a leap. A QUANTUM LEAP!

You can definitely tell the difference in the past two decades. A Battle Royal like this would already have 13 of the 16 participants out by now in modern day booking. Also, there's no way the champion would be a part of a random Battle Royal.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Watching the 8th episode of Raw.

First off, Rob Bartlett is the most unbearably terrible personality I've ever seen in wrestling. On this episode, he's playing as Elvis and making jokes throughout the entire episode. Fortunately, it appears that the April 19, 1993 episode is his last, so he'll be gone soon.

It's also crazy to see one half of a tag team (Fatu) get a 15 minute match with the Champion (Hart).

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Giedroyc posted:

I see you haven't heard Mark Madden commentary...

After seeing this dufus, I'd prefer Madden. I never thought I'd type that.

He seriously played an impersonation of Elvis for the entire episode.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I loved the hype at the end of today's 8:30 Raw episode..."NEXT WEEK ON RAW, BRET HART VS. ONE OF THE HEADSHRINKERS!"

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

2: Why is Elvis on Commentary?

Because Rob Bartlett is horrible. Fortunately, he was only on Raw for a few months, so his run is almost over.

Looking up Rob Bartlett lead me to Art Donovan calling the King of the Ring 1994. It's like watching wrestling with my slightly senile Grandfather. Look it up on youtube for some entertainment.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 27, 2014

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

So Hogan was active in the company at the time? I always thought he just showed up and Wrestlemania 9.

I'm trying to figure out what he did around this point to embarrass himself. In the interview, he kept talking about the challenges he's went through and people starting rumors. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was probably true.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Just opened the Network and saw a guy with a Wu Tang Clan shirt on in the background. We must be in the late '90s.

In the Raw episode this morning, there was a guy in the front row wearing a 90210 sweatshirt. It's been my favorite moment so far.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

For sheer fun, I'm enjoying the 95 era RAW episodes more than the 98 ones. In 98, the big moments were great, but most of the show was filled with people just watching to get their catch phrases in. The 95 stuff was just straight cheese.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

For the first few episodes of Raw, Vince engaged Rob Bartlett and tried to involve him. The next few, he was annoyed but attempted to play along. On the 10th episode, he finally got to the point where he barely acknowledges him, and when he does, it's only so he can completely dismiss him.

I can't wait for the first episode where Bartlett is gone. I only wish Vince would have fired him in the middle of the ring.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Can someone explain the history of the MSG shows? Were they broadcast nationwide, or was it localized in the New York area? Obviously they spent the money to create a polished (for the time) product, but I don't recall MSG shows being on tv when I was a kid.

They were essentially just house shows, right?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Going back and watching the Factions episode on Legends, and Ric Flair is coming across as a bitter and horrible human being. Then again, I think that's the general consensus about him now, so maybe it's not too shocking.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

Well that justified my subscription

Which show were you guys referencing during this line of discussion. I want to make sure I check it out.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Thanks!

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

That just brought back some great memories, watching the 1-2-3 Kid beat Razor Ramon. I remember freaking out when I saw that live as a child.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

How big of a deal was Tatanka back in the day, He seems like that era's Kofi.

He was one of those guys that they constantly pushed as legit, but he never made a huge connection with the fans and they never gave him a main event level push. I think that Kofi Kingston is a legit comparison. I believe his match with HBK for the Intercontinental Title at Wrestlemania was the peak of his career. We're already beyond that point on the Raw Rewind episodes, so it's all downhill from there.

I think they wanted him to be a huge star, but he never seemed to connect. I do recall being annoyed when I got one of his action figures as a Christmas present.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 12, 2014

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

It seems crazy to think that they gave him an EIGHTEEN MONTH undefeated streak, only to eventually lose to Ludvig Borga on tv.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Just turned on the live feed for the first time in a week or so, and I was shocked to see Bash at the Beach 94. Have they actually been showing WCW stuff, or did I just catch it at the perfect time?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So, was it common to spend 20 minutes after the end of the last match, following around the champion? It seemed weird that Hogan won and they followed him to the back, interviewed him, etc.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Yokozuna taking a break to eat a big bowl of rice.

Old wrestling was hilariously racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I love when they just show a random PPVs, as I missed a good portion of wrestling from the end of the Attitude era through about a year or two ago. For instance, No Way Out from 2004 is on right now, and I missed all of the original Lesnar run, as well as seeing Eddie as a top star (I stopped watching in the Latino Heat era).

Sad to think that Eddie was dead the next year.

• Locked thread