Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TwoPair posted:

Savage Avengers #14: Conan the Barbarian, Magik, and the Black Knight have to fight an Asgardian dragon to obtain a magic amulet. But they need a little extra help...

(I almost put this in the funny panels thread for Juggernaut's singing but decided it fit better here)

The gap in the lyrics is a nice touch, so you can go back and sing it in your head as you reread the panels inbetween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Who is the Juggernaut at the moment? I vaguely remember reading the job title jumping around a bit.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

One positive about manga I'll give it is that it seems to be a lot easier to find publishers and editors that will let you get real wierd with it.

I feel that, historically, Japanese popular entertainment tends to the bizarre. I went to a half day of bunraku (puppet plays) when I was in Japan a few years back and the main play extract they did was written in the mid-1700's or so, but the tropes you'd probably see in a whole bunch of manga/anime now.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I mean western literature cannibalizes itself constantly too. How much modern poo poo is based of Shakespeare?

I agree, but its like if the history of Western literature decided Titus Andronicus was the premier Shakespeare play rather than say, Hamlet.

(Nothing against Titus Andronicus - I like me a pie-based revenge story.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Not really? Manga is nerd poo poo, in the same way that comics are nerd poo poo in the West. It’s not like Japan or other parts of Asia don’t have their own rich literary traditions.

Yes, they do and the bizarreness of manga and anime are less surprising in light of the rich Japanese literary traditions of bunraku/kabuki which can get pretty bizarre.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're sort of folding a really long and varied history of a country's creative works in half and making random bits touch there. The gonzo experimentation of modern manga and anime has a lot more to do with attempts to stand out in an increasingly overcrowded market than it has to do with kabuki tradition. You don't have to go very far back into the quite young history of anime to find eras where most of the products were very safe and standard compared to the weird poo poo you can see today or even in the 90s (when deconstructing genres became quite the fad).

I'm not saying that the entirety of Japanese literature is weird or that any weirdness in historical Japanese literature is directly responsible for the weirdness in Japanese manga and anime, more that there seems to a greater cultural acceptance of that kind of weirdness than in the English canon. The oddness you sometimes see in kabuki or bunraku was probably driven by similar factors to those that you mention - kabuki and bunraku, I understand, were the entertainment for the masses; the fancy people sat through Noh plays.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

But what plays did the fancy people in Japanese society sit through?

Boo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Does Al Ewing ever write anything bad? I'd never really heard of him, but kept seeing his name on 2000AD and 2000AD adjacent things this past year. He's certainly not a dull writer.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That one Green Lantern who was a cartoonist before getting the ring put it to rather more creative use, as I recall. It's not the rings fault that the previous users were an ex-Marine and Guy Gardner, ex-cop and dumbass extraordinaire

Actually, it is the ring's fault. The ring chooses the next user on the death of the Green Lantern wearing it.

Unless that's not canon anymore.

Stupid ring.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

robziel posted:

2000AD 2254 The robot judges have been taken over by a memetic virus while Judge Dredd battles bounty hunters.

Is that Trapper Hag?

I much prefer weird/funny Dredd to straight action Dredd, but even then, I feel he's written to be an almost parodic action hero:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I love Dredd's face in that last panel, like "are you loving serious?" It's hard to make him grumpier, but they've done well.

Also, for bug-prone, violent robots, Mechanismo can be quite amusing.

Was it the original strip where one went bonkers and decided to conduct a mass strip search?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

robziel posted:

You are correct Judge Dredd vol 2 #15-, that one malfunctioned trying to find a litterer, detained an entire crowd of people and ended up wanting to find out what everyone else was guilty of.

There it is:

I think Colin McNeil is easily one of my favorite 2000AD artists.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

site posted:

what exactly have they been doing for a whole month. her hair is perfect, she has no marks on her, her dress is perfect. were they keeping her in a nice room with a closet, and bathroom stocked with makeup the whole time

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Just cloning multiple Jamie Madroxes for shits and giggles.

Also to annoy Quicksilver.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kalli posted:

Seriously though I do love it when Thanos is forced to deal with the realization that yeah you self-sabotage because you think you don't deserve a hot goth girlfriend.

This colours that strip where Thanos ruins the random guy's life by loving with him on his birthday every year.

Like its played for laughs that Thanos is being a dick, but he's being a dick because he refuses to confront his own problems and ruining the guy's life means that there's someone more of a gently caress up than he is.

Its actually pretty dark, now I think about it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There's potential for an AI generated issue of Doom Patrol or maybe an unhinged Judge Dredd.

Actually, isn't there a Dredd where he gets sucked into a surrealist painting?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

hype. i love tradd moore

I've never realised how much his work reminds me of Brendan McCarthy - they both do other worldly weirdness and chaos really well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fatal paper cut from the dungeon map.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

SimonChris posted:

In the actual comic, these are interspersed with pages showing the heroes back on Earth getting their asses kicked by the exact same types of robots. Whether that makes it better or worse is up to you.

I'm curious as to how. Isn't Martian Manhunter pretty much green Superman but also bendy? Was he on PTO?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but he gets sad when he so much as sees some fire

*Despero setting fire to the Oreo factory*

"This is either the most brilliant or exceedingly stupid plan."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Currently, it seems like a him thing, but the original version was a weakness implanted in green Martians by the Guardians of the Universe to stop them being super dicks.

Wow, Guardians, great plan. Haven't heard that one before. Good work, two thumbs up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Still need to kill a few billion demons.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Azubah posted:

A title only has to sound cool, they're not instructions.

I'm watching a series about a grieving widower awkwardly trying to reconnect with his estranged son while abusing his corporate position in an attempt to deal, poorly, with his grief.

Oh, whats it called?

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

technically it's a government job

I was thinking that at first, but they're funded by Seele, which is a private organisation. Oddly, that was the bit of the silly joke I thought about the most.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the Cylon servant in the old Battlestar Galactica show had a mouth that would light up when he spoke instead of moving lips. And I vaguely remember the bad guy from the knock-off Ghostbusters cartoon, the one with the ape, being partly robotic and having some weird static poo poo in his mouth when he spoke. It was a Look to make them seem more otherworldly, I guess.

Actually, the cartoon is based on the 1970's live action show, The Ghost Busters. So technically, the movie Ghostbusters is the knock-off. Though the cartoon was clearly made to ride the coat tails of that successful knock-off.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There's a bone phone salesman that's made at least two sales in the Ghost Busters universe.

Also very surprised Frank Welker isn't half the voices on that show. They did have Peter Cullen and Pat Farley though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Frank was half the voices on Real Ghostbusters (Ray, Slimer and tons of incidentals) so he may not have had the time.

You've pretty much got all the big names in 80's voice acting between the two shows.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

site posted:

superman start a onlyfans

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Lol at the concept of John Constantine paying taxes. Or filling out a form.

"Who summons Mammon, Lord of Greed and Earthly....gently caress, seriously John, just do your own taxes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That's just fantastic, especially the rocker dude with the witches hat on the left.

e: is Dandadan as insane as the premise and all artwork I randomly googled suggests? If so , I might just have to read it.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 9, 2024