Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hectik
Dec 20, 2009
Get your mastery badges while you can, people. I've decided to go through the T-50 route to the mediums. I figure I'll keep it over the A-20 since I want a permanent ruskie scout, and we don't have the T-50-2, yet. Hope I made the right choice.

Edit: 330 view range, 300 signal? Forget the T-50.

hectik fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pun pundit posted:

One high point in the russian lines that has yet to be mentioned is the SU-85B. It has very good view range, and its top gun is plain ridiculous for its tier. I keep one around on the PC version to platoon with people who are grinding tier 4, because it is in my estimation the most powerful tier 4 tank in the game.
Isn't that one a premium tank on the XBox?

hectik
Dec 20, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Isn't that one a premium tank on the XBox?

Nope.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Early June (5th to 18th) bundles have been announced

Pz IV Hydraulic (tier V) with Slot, Crew, 30 days premium and 2mil silver.10300 gold

Matilda BP (Tier V )with slot, crew, Gun Laying Drive, Rammer and Vents. 3300 gold

Supply drop: 50 of each basic consumable 600 gold

Looking at Tankcompare.com it seems the Hydro and Pz IV are obviously very similar, the hydro's engine is slightly weaker but the top speed is higher, it also has higher health but weaker frontal armour than the Pz IV.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 4, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Early June (5th to 18th) bundles have been announced

Pz IV Hydraulic (tier V) with Slot, Crew, 30 days premium and 2mil silver.10300 gold

Matilda BP (Tier V )with slot, crew, Gun Laying Drive, Rammer and Vents. 3300 gold

Supply drop: 50 of each basic consumable 600 gold

Looking at Tankcompare.com it seems the Hydro and Pz IV are obviously very similar, the hydro's engine is slightly weaker but the top speed is higher, it also has higher health but weaker frontal armour than the Pz IV.

The Matilda BP has a turreted version of the AT-2's buzzsaw gun. It's a surprisingly mean little tank.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's also slow as hell and doesn't have nearly the armor of the AT-2.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Both tanks are sluggish jokes in the PC version, I can only hope they're better for you guys.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
A pimped out Hellcat can really ruin peoples poo poo, especially if they are the same tier or a tier lower. In my last/best game I got 9 kills and 2922 damage, most decent games I' getting 4-5 kills. But, I cant for the life of me figure out how to do any decent amount of damage to T-29s.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raveen posted:

A pimped out Hellcat can really ruin peoples poo poo, especially if they are the same tier or a tier lower. In my last/best game I got 9 kills and 2922 damage, most decent games I' getting 4-5 kills. But, I cant for the life of me figure out how to do any decent amount of damage to T-29s.

Shoot the hull. Literally anywhere on the hull that you have a good angle on. Everything below the turret ring is one giant weakspot.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
The KV derp gun is :madmax:

The antidote to the AT line.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raveen posted:

The rear of most american tank turrets tends to be packed with ammo and poo poo if you can shoot them in the side or back of the headturret. T-29s have absolutely stunningly great turret armor from the front though, and once they max out Repair for their crew, it's really hard to stop them if they've got any kind of rise to back down and force you to take them in hull-down or rush over at them.

If you have to shoot at their turret from the front (again, just don't bother if you can possibly do it another way) aim for the hatch, or just below the cannon there's a "capture point" where shots will bounce downward into the hull of you hit the rounded edge of the turret, and can often kill crew. The same works on the Sherman series as well, as a lot of american tanks' turrets are vaguely "ball-shaped" and it's pretty easy to bounce shots off the turret and down onto the hull if you can hit them from 20-30 degrees of of full-frontal.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

...really stupid question but er.. how long have you been able to zoom in the turret view? I remember trying out the zoom when I was viewing the tank in 3rd person and thought it was pretty poo poo.. then completely forgot about it in the turret view.

Cut to the other day, I was clicking around with my controller trying to remember which key I had 'change ammo' bound to and clicked the right stick down and BOOM.. holy poo poo look at that zoom :byodood:

It's made playing so much more enjoyable.. not that it wasn't enjoyable anyway but.. drat :doh:

It's made creeping around playing the sniper infinitely easier.. I'm just gutted I didn't think to try the zoom out in the turret view earlier. What a tard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enri posted:

...really stupid question but er.. how long have you been able to zoom in the turret view? I remember trying out the zoom when I was viewing the tank in 3rd person and thought it was pretty poo poo.. then completely forgot about it in the turret view.

Cut to the other day, I was clicking around with my controller trying to remember which key I had 'change ammo' bound to and clicked the right stick down and BOOM.. holy poo poo look at that zoom :byodood:

It's made playing so much more enjoyable.. not that it wasn't enjoyable anyway but.. drat :doh:

It's made creeping around playing the sniper infinitely easier.. I'm just gutted I didn't think to try the zoom out in the turret view earlier. What a tard.

Always. Just click L3. Also you ought to have gone into options and changed to control scheme B so you can use the Dpad to stop and pop while aimed in.

hectik
Dec 20, 2009

enri posted:

holy poo poo look at that zoom :byodood:

Look at this guy who doesn't press every button when he starts playing a new video game. In an unrelated matter, I...may have beaten Mass Effect two or three times before discovering the Mako can double zoom.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hectik posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't press every button when he starts playing a new video game. In an unrelated matter, I...may have beaten Mass Effect two or three times before discovering the Mako can double zoom.

I defeated three Thresher Maws before I realized the Mako had something other than the machine gun :shepface:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Always. Just click L3. Also you ought to have gone into options and changed to control scheme B so you can use the Dpad to stop and pop while aimed in.

:negative:

Yep, B is the one I'm using :)

hectik posted:

I know I know!... kicking myself now, could have made life so much easier.

Zooming has made TDs even more fun than they already were. Spent a few games last night zipping around in my Alecto popping tanks at a distance left right and centre. Good fun :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm kind of floored that you could do much of anything without zooming in, as TD. :D

Just wait until you find out that you can zoom in while aiming in an artillery, as well! :laugh:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

coyo7e posted:

I'm kind of floored that you could do much of anything without zooming in, as TD. :D

I only really started playing with the TDs recently, so it's not been that much of a headache, just set myself up somewhere distant and wait for the red markers to appear, hover the reticule over them and hope for a red / orange circle. Click, boom. Hopefully :)

coyo7e posted:

Just wait until you find out that you can zoom in while aiming in an artillery, as well! :laugh:

Wait, what?... :stare:

Artillery is another of the tank brackets I haven't really spent much time with (got the 10 games as artillery achievement and that's as far as I bothered) but it's on the radar as the next thing to start concentrating on, good to know the zoom is usable there too :v:

edit: speaking of starting with artillery, what's the best path to head down for arty? I was playing with one of the low tier german artillery tanks and it had such a narrow field to the front, it was a complete ball ache to play with, I figured there must be better out there to play with (or certainly less frustrating tanks to play with)

enri fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 13, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

enri posted:

I only really started playing with the TDs recently, so it's not been that much of a headache, just set myself up somewhere distant and wait for the red markers to appear, hover the reticule over them and hope for a red / orange circle. Click, boom. Hopefully :)

Wait, what?... :stare:

Artillery is another of the tank brackets I haven't really spent much time with (got the 10 games as artillery achievement and that's as far as I bothered) but it's on the radar as the next thing to start concentrating on, good to know the zoom is usable there too :v:

edit: speaking of starting with artillery, what's the best path to head down for arty? I was playing with one of the low tier german artillery tanks and it had such a narrow field to the front, it was a complete ball ache to play with, I figured there must be better out there to play with (or certainly less frustrating tanks to play with)

Artillery is generally annoying to play. I remember Russian arty being good all-rounders (by arty standards), British arty having roughly one weird gimmick per tank, and American artillery sacrificing everything else in favour of damage and splash radius.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've really enjoyed the American Arties.

Mostly with Arties it's a matter of being patient and then getting good at knowing how long to time the shot-travel-delay based on the range distance. It's not hard (roughly a "1-count" per 150-200 meters the way I count,) and it's really satisfying to be able to consistently kill targets that may even be 3 tiers above you.

The main thing I've learned is to not throw shots at lost causes, and to not change targets too quickly or drastically because it'll ruin your shots-per-minute waiting for your reticle to shrink down again. Rammers and aiming bonuses are super helpful as well and will really speed up your progress as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 13, 2014

hectik
Dec 20, 2009

enri posted:

I was playing with one of the low tier German artillery tanks and it had such a narrow field to the front, it was a complete ball ache

Sounds like the tier 2 Bison. Not only does it probably have the narrowest gun traverse, - no that wouldn't be enough - it also only holds like 12 rounds. I hated that thing. Don't judge the line from that little bastard, though. Germans are accurate, but their gun traverse is narrower. I'm with Coyo7e on the US line. Not as accurate, but monster damage and gun traverse good enough to the point of barely having to turn the tank.

As you go up the tiers, you'll want to move a little after every handful of shots if you don't have good cover. People start learning to counter battery.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
One trick I've learned with Arties is to use your left stick to rotate your tank and keep an eye on your gun's traverse while you use the R stick to sweep the map in zoom mode, whenever you're not actively tracking a target. If you can rotate your chassis an extra 15-20 degrees it can lead to two or three kills rather than 1 potshot that may not land, a lot of the time.

With a rammer my arty fires faster than my maxxed out T-29 (that cannon is slow as fuuuuck.)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Apparently on a stream WG announcec that next month we are getting what sounds like a significant content patch, US Autoloaders and a second German TD line, I'm guessing that's the Waffles. Isn't the Americans a bit of a surprise, I thought most people were expecting the French first because autoloaders is one of their gimmicks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Apparently on a stream WG announcec that next month we are getting what sounds like a significant content patch, US Autoloaders and a second German TD line, I'm guessing that's the Waffles. Isn't the Americans a bit of a surprise, I thought most people were expecting the French first because autoloaders is one of their gimmicks.

The Waffles coming before the Porsche line that ends in the Maus? That is a surprise.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The more I think about it the decision to add the American Autoloaders before the French actually might mean they are listening to the official forums where a fair number of people have been saying they'd rather have the line ups for the nations we have completed before adding in new nations. I still want my BatChat though, and the Lorraine arty (I think that's the one with the proper turret).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've spent a few evenings racking up games in an artillery tank now, having masses of fun now I've stepped away from the German tank, went with the American Tier 2 (that I've completely forgotten the name of) to start with and still playing with it - I figure it's better to learn the artillery ropes at a lower tier rather than spazzing all my cash on upgrading it as fast as possible and getting ripped to shreds at higher tiers.

I was on Malinovka last night, set up in the top left for a standard battle and none of our side seemed to fancy scouting ahead to get spots on the enemy. So I started taking pot shots in the most likely places I would sit.. got a few damaging hits but the real killer was spotting someone's tracer rounds at the far left side, nestled besides a tree.. waited for my reticle to close up fully.. tracer fire keeps popping out from this mystery spot. click.... wait wait wait... BADDUUUMMM, tank destroyed.

I've never felt so smug playing a game before.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I have both American and German artillery up to tier 5, and I feel that German artillery actually gets really good starting at 5. American artillery is so goddamn accurate compared to German, and the Grille straight-up is just leagues better than the M41 for this reason. American artillery having more power and splash does not make up for seemingly 90% of my shots missing even after I let the aiming circle close up as much as it can.

That said, if you're still at tier 2, that means the Priest will be your next American artillery. The Priest rules face, so have fun with that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Cannot Find Server posted:

I have both American and German artillery up to tier 5, and I feel that German artillery actually gets really good starting at 5. American artillery is so goddamn accurate compared to German, and the Grille straight-up is just leagues better than the M41 for this reason. American artillery having more power and splash does not make up for seemingly 90% of my shots missing even after I let the aiming circle close up as much as it can.

That said, if you're still at tier 2, that means the Priest will be your next American artillery. The Priest rules face, so have fun with that.

Yea I'd seen the priest used a fair bit when I was trundling through those tiers months back, I've only really put off upgrading because I'm saving my in game pennies for the Tier VII upgrade I'm working at with my current medium tank :)

Speaking of splash damage, do you get the little pop up for a damaged enemy if you only cause splash damage? I'm keeping in mind the 'kill two tanks with one shot' achievement and I can't say I've seen any splash damage occurring at all, could that be because I'm at such a low tier and the splash is barely worth mentioning? I know everyone would take a penetrating hit over splash damage any day of the week, but it'd be nice to know whether I'm getting it or not :)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
If you see the shot land just just in front of the tank you fired at but you get a damage or critical ribbon that's splash damage.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Anime_Otaku posted:

If you see the shot land just just in front of the tank you fired at but you get a damage or critical ribbon that's splash damage.

Ah, you do get ribbons.. cool.. that clears that up, I've just not been getting much splash damage :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Splash damage on lower-tier artillery might as well be non-existent. You really won't see any splash damage until you're in tier 4 artillery, at least. Even then, getting enough to kill a tank, let alone two with one shot, is really not plausible under regular conditions until probably tier 7 or so.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
But the suffering you have to take in the American arty line is made up for by the M53/M55, its the best tier 9 and its on par or better than quite a few tier 10s. Its got a wide firing arc 30 degrees each side, is fairly mobile, and gets both a decent stock and good upgraded gun.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The new end of month bundles are out... no new vehicles at all. However there's a chance to get a Tetrarch if you do a poll about their E3 stuff on the forum.

Edit: Looks like whining about arty is the 360 forum version of the PC forum's nazis. If any of you play SPGs and you see Ignitable Duk on the red team, give him a shell on the engine deck from me.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 19, 2014

hectik
Dec 20, 2009
Yeah, I've memorized a few names for that purpose.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't really recall suffering through the american arties - I did make a point to buy rammers on anything with a shot per minute rate of less than 6/min, and probably threw a lot of free exp at the 2-5ish levels at some point to get ahead.

Getting one-shotted by an artie is frustrating however it often means they're not looking at your team as much as your spawn.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I bothered to upgrade my T57 to the M7 Priest and holy poo poo I did not regret that. I'm bagging kills left right and centre in most games. Just tonight, 5 kills in one. The next game, another 4. If I survive for more than a few minutes then generally I'm racking up the kills, if not, it's an early death but eh.. you win some, you lose some. Loving artillery so much.

hectik
Dec 20, 2009
I'm greatly enjoying following around the front line guys in my SU-100 and smacking anyone in their way with the 122mm. Can't wait to unlock the SU-152.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's new bundles out, the only new things I spotted were a Super Pershing bundled with a lot of prem ammo, 20 cola and a crew with BiA that has a custom US flag paint job called the "Freedom" I forget what I paid for it but it sure as hell ain't free.
There's also a bundle with the IS6 and the Tetrarch, again I forget what it cost and it's not on tne site yet as far as I know.

Edit: more details on the "Freedom" from the official forum.

About the bundle:
The cost is 12000 gold
It includes the T26E4 "Freedom" (a SuperPershing)
A crew with 100% Brothers in Arms (crew cannot be moved to other tanks but placed in barracks)
20 crates of Cola
Improved Ventilation Class 2, Vertical Stabilizer Mk 1, Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
A garage slot
30 days of Premium Time
A very special camouflage in the shape of the US flag draped over the tank

It's also only available until the 7th of July and it seems they are planning other special camo variant tanks.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 2, 2014

hectik
Dec 20, 2009
So expensive, yet the paint job is so :fsmug: just saw one in game and it's even got an American flag hanging off it. Think I may waste my money on it...

Edit: yep. I just went full retard. I have a thing for oddball tanks. Couldn't resist:negative:

hectik fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also the prowd owner of a Super Pershing Freedom. What can I say? I've always wanted to try the Super Pershing, it's fitted out exactly as I would want to fit it, and it's got that gloriously tacky paintjob that somehow functions like regular camo paint. It's a hell of a deal.

• Locked thread