Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Extra posted:

You're saying you want 0 counters to an instant cast 4 second stun.

No I want them to have to look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

It actually procs off any non-weapon ability use. Of course that means you probably won't be in stealth if you set it up correctly but whatever.

Call me crazy but why would the proc on a single ability be extended to every single other non-weapon ability as a passive effect? That seems like a bug not an intended mechanic.

Bashez posted:

No I want them to have to look around.

So you want people to traverse the land constantly spinning their character 360 degrees at all time just to counter you? That's hilarious. Also the detection distance is 0 at anything but enemies straight ahead. If you approach from the sides or behind it's impossible to detect without Magelight.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 6, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Extra posted:

Call me crazy but why would the proc on a single ability be extended to every single other non-weapon ability? That seems like a bug not an intended mechanic.

:shrug: That's how it was working in the beta. I had nearly 70% up time on the instacast buff because of my use of Unbound Storm.

E: "35% chance to make your next use an instant cast when activating an ability with a Magicka cost." :v: Fragments is no slouch on damage either so it was pretty good.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 6, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

:shrug: That's how it was working in the beta. I had nearly 70% up time on the instacast buff because of my use of Unbound Storm.

E: "35% chance to make your next use an instant cast when activating an ability with a Magicka cost." :v: Fragments is no slouch on damage either so it was pretty good.

That seems just a teensy bit overpowered. What's the counter to Sorcs just spamming knockdowns and running away using Unbound Storm?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Extra posted:

So you want people to traverse the land constantly spinning their character 360 degrees at all time just to counter you? That's hilarious. Also the detection distance is 0 at anything but enemies straight ahead. If you approach from the sides or behind it's impossible to detect without Magelight.

That's not necessary if you're moving forward as it's hard to catch someone while stealthed because of the movement speed debuffs. And you don't have to be perfectly straight ahead to see someone.

I've also seen a bunch of people saying you can spend stamina to break out of stuns and become immune for a while, is this not true anymore?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bashez posted:

That's not necessary if you're moving forward as it's hard to catch someone while stealthed because of the movement speed debuffs. And you don't have to be perfectly straight ahead to see someone.

I've also seen a bunch of people saying you can spend stamina to break out of stuns and become immune for a while, is this not true anymore?

Extra posted:

Retreating Maneuver will break snares and roots and grant immunity for 20 seconds, but not stuns. Still at 840 stamina that's a huge hit to take especially if your opponent only used magicka instead of stamina to snare you in the first place. It means your opponent can probably just sprint you down anyway because you've just taken a gigantic stamina hit they didn't. Immovable, a heavy armor ability unlocked at level 22 of the skill grants immunity to knockback/disabling efects for 8 seconds. That said if you've already stunned your heavy armor opponent they can't use Immovable to break out of it, only as a preventative measure afterward.

We'll be testing dodging out of stuns next beta but I've never been able to do it. There was a planned combined right click + left click to get out of stuns but we will see if it's actually implemented and how well it works. I know no one ever was able to cancel out of my Sorcerer knockdown (maybe my opponents just didn't know how?) but knockdowns may not be the same as stuns? How much stamina will we be dinged? Going to get the Goon research team on it and bring back the answers.

I can see the point in stealthed players being somewhat possible to evade via the never stop moving ever rule.

A recent claim from some guy on tesoelite that may be true or complete bullshit:

quote:

the different between stun and knockdown is that if you have stamina, you can "dodge" (double tap a direction key) to jump back up out of knockdown. Stun, on the other hand, you just gotta suck it up and wait. You can't move around and i'll have to look over the skills, but i'm not sure if there are stun breaks.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Extra posted:

That seems just a teensy bit overpowered. What's the counter to Sorcs just spamming knockdowns and running away using Unbound Storm?

As of the weekend build, there is none. :v: I survived several 5+v1 situations through use of Zoidbergian tactics. Come .18, no idea.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

I just remembered you can find all the es books online. Maybe I should go pay a low budget hooker to spit in my mouth a few times so I'm guaranteed to get some sort of virus and be bedridden long enough to read them all so I can be sure max out my IMMERSION for the end of the month launch.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Teleport Strike -> Cast Invisibility -> Cast Veiled Strikes

I know this is a bit back but when I was testing Shadow Cloak I was not getting sneak attack bonuses with it.

Boner Police
Mar 5, 2014

by Ralp
i suck at this game. can anyone suggest a build i might try for the next beta run that might help to maximize my enjoyment?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boner Police posted:

i suck at this game. can anyone suggest a build i might try for the next beta run that might help to maximize my enjoyment?

try the one where you press the left mouse button a lot

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Boner Police posted:

Were you pressing ctrl after activating it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

"Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. "

Why am I then choosing to call it racism? Because every single time these stupid arguments arrive it turns into another vampire-hatred shitstorm which is not needed at all. We've had more then enough to last for several years already, and it haven't even been a single year yet. People automatically judge us vampiric roleplayers for being bad, mary sues and bright special snowflakes without even taking the slightest of concern to the human being we actually are behind the screen. Not to speak of the slightest chance to actually roleplay with us and see what it's like. I've been in several RP's so far, and I've yet to have a single complain from anyone when it comes to character abilities and behavior.

People are racist against us by continuesly explain and express their opinions of how bad and terrible we are, without even giving a gently caress about whom we actually are. All they look at are the little pretty [Vampire] tag in the top corner. But yes, that apparently is enough to explain a persons personality both OOC and ICly for some people.

I will soon write a post to the admins on TESO-RP about this subject, since more and more vampiric roleplayers are feeling like being cyber bullied, and honestly I feel so too when it continuesly streams up like this foolish childish kindergarden behavior. People can literally not even make a thread about a vampire question without people having to turn it into a shitstorm of a vampire-hatred fiesta.

Roleplayers are pissed they're getting compared to Twilight vampires. :iamafag:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

am I actually reading this right? this is someone 100% seriously complaining about racism against his character class in an MMO?

why do I have a feeling that if I buy this game I'm going to be surrounded by weirdos....

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Pivo posted:

why do I have a feeling that if I buy this game I'm going to be surrounded by weirdos....

He says on a niche sub forum at something awful dot com.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Coldforge posted:

He says on a niche sub forum at something awful dot com.

Lurk mor-- oh.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Hahah, this game is going to rule.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Pivo posted:

Let's not judge too harshly, friend. There's nothing weird about roleplaying as a person who gained immortal powers by being plowed by the God of Rape during a sex orgy where friends and family were likely also present and equally received a good once-over by the Dong of Brown Regrets.

Hell maybe I'll join them as a mundane I-got-hit-by-a-vampire-and-was-too-lazy-to-see-a-church kind of vampire. Point is we're all people too, maaan.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Six AM posted:

Hahah, this game is going to rule.

Here's hoping so. It seems it might turn out better than Star Wars: The Old Republic did at launch. The 3.5 months of closed beta access was very fun, despite long load times and bugs that required closing the game in task manager. Then the game got released, and there was a lot of server down time plus Starfleet Dental was full of loonies. Hell, one threatened to kick me out of that guild because I wasn't in the correct spot for a group picture. An emotionless gently caress you to that guy. :jerkbag:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

poptart_fairy posted:

The hate against the vampires in ESO is entirely justified. Since the main antagonist is Molag Bal and the vampires have come to exist by being repeatedly goatsed by him, we should do our sacred duty and make fun of them whenever we go.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So on an entirely different note, does anyone else think that the third tier Nord racial passive, of bonus armour, is incredibly lovely? From looking at it in game, it seemed to be only 4 points of armour per point...which is worse than useless honestly. Unless that number scales *much* higher at high levels, it seems like a waste of skill points to invest in, which is a shame as the rest of the Nord abilities look good.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I am weak, pre-purchased with the GMG -20% off code.

Besides actually playing the last two beta weekends (and only about 8 hour total) I haven't done ANY research at all, besides reading this (and the old) thread. And I'm going to keep it that way. Going to do my best NOT to race to cap level.

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Bought it as well, let's see if I can stomach the PVE up to level 10.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I like PvE in the form of long dungeon crawls or massive (not by number of participating players but by difficulty) scripted battles.

I despise PVE when fetching bear asses, and running all over the map for no true purpose.

TESO is more of the second type the first 10 levels, I hope big long dungeons will happen at higher level.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Evernoob posted:

I like PvE in the form of long dungeon crawls or massive (not by number of participating players but by difficulty) scripted battles.

I despise PVE when fetching bear asses, and running all over the map for no true purpose.

TESO is more of the second type the first 10 levels, I hope big long dungeons will happen at higher level.

If you didn't get to around level 12 and do the first 4-man dungeon, try to shoot for that next beta. Took us about 45 minutes to go through, which isn't terribly long, but the dungeon itself was decently sized, with a fairly neat storyline and scripted boss encounters.

Difficulty was good as well - Every pack of enemies we encountered ranged from about 5-10 NPCs. Groups always had healers, tanks, casters, and melee dps in them. NPCs call out basic tactics such as "heal me" "charge them" "split up", so players have to pay attention to who is being focus attacked and try to quickly drop the DPS enemies, or interrupt healers who are keeping other enemies up, or dodge the charges of two-handed wielding juggernauts.

Boss battles also had some fairly "oh poo poo" attacks and strategy had to be used to defeat them, even for the first dungeon, so hopefully it only increases in complexity in higher level dungeons.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
This is all highly encouraging news.

What annoys me most about recent MMO PvE is the fact there is hardly any need to group at all. I understand they want to give the solo player the chance to do stuff too, but they went a little too far.

In GW2 for example the public events were a good idea. But since everyone was responsible for his own health bar no real grouping was done.
Also the first party dungeons came far too late in games like Rift, Aion and GW2.

As I understand you will need to spend skillpoints into your crafting skill, so at first being a crafter will hold pack your increase in power, until you have skilled all the skills you wish to have in the endgame.
I really like this approach because good crafters will be more scarce. I dabbled just a little in tailoring and was pleasantly surprised by the way crafting works. Upgrading crafted armor and all was well done.
I do hope the best available armor/equipment will come from crafters (albeit with PVE obtained reagents). Nothing sucks as much when general endgame loot outshines crafted equipment you spent a lot of time (and skillpoints) to be able to make.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They sent out a survey and just like last time, they have no god drat idea how to do surveys.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

They sent out a survey and just like last time, they have no god drat idea how to do surveys.

How well did you perhaps find that you might have or might not have enjoyed parts of the game?

1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
My favorite part is that they throw in "I would buy this game" right in the middle of a bunch of gameplay/art questions, as if they're getting one over on you by sticking it in the middle of the survey instead of at the very end.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
This isn't a survey this is a goddamn Scientology personality test.

HideousPenguinBoy
Sep 5, 2006
Six foot twenty, F'in killing for fun.

Disco Infiva posted:

The hate against the vampires in ESO is entirely justified. Since the main antagonist is Molag Bal and the vampires have come to exist by being repeatedly goatsed by him, we should do our sacred duty and make fun of them whenever we go.

Just keep the hate and prejudice in game. Tell them they are bad role players if they complain about it and are destroying ur murshun.

HideousPenguinBoy
Sep 5, 2006
Six foot twenty, F'in killing for fun.

Third World Reggin posted:

This survey better track that I bothered to do this. loving thing is 18 pages long and asked for a semen sample.

Hydrogen_3
Jun 6, 2007
So, does the Templar skill, restoring aura, stack? I.e. if two people cast it, and are in each other's range, do they both get (Base + 80% ) + 80% = 324% ( + 224%) regen?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I hope that after beta feedback they decide to take the game on a more elder scrolls direction instead of mmo direction, but since it's already in beta I don't see how they could change anything.

JimmyTurtle
Jun 20, 2010

The Tribbles Ate My Loot!

peak debt posted:

CHIMentology: The Third Age Science for Second Age Men and Mer!

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

HideousPenguinBoy posted:

This survey better track that I bothered to do this. loving thing is 18 pages long and asked for a semen sample.

Don't forget your social and your mother's maiden name. I have tried 3 times to do their surveys, because I would like to say that I contributed something beside bug reports, but the drat thing is so long I haven't made it through it before developing a case of ADD.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You don't have to fill out every section just certain ones. This particular one made me answer all the crafting questions this time around.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

pertinent posted:

How well did you perhaps find that you might have or might not have enjoyed parts of the game?

1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?

3?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

peak debt posted:

Yeah I pretty much gave up halfway through, so many convoluted questions that ask the same thing over and over again with no real train of thought.

Evernoob posted:

This is all highly encouraging news.

What annoys me most about recent MMO PvE is the fact there is hardly any need to group at all. I understand they want to give the solo player the chance to do stuff too, but they went a little too far.

In GW2 for example the public events were a good idea. But since everyone was responsible for his own health bar no real grouping was done.
Also the first party dungeons came far too late in games like Rift, Aion and GW2.

As I understand you will need to spend skillpoints into your crafting skill, so at first being a crafter will hold pack your increase in power, until you have skilled all the skills you wish to have in the endgame.
I really like this approach because good crafters will be more scarce. I dabbled just a little in tailoring and was pleasantly surprised by the way crafting works. Upgrading crafted armor and all was well done.
I do hope the best available armor/equipment will come from crafters (albeit with PVE obtained reagents). Nothing sucks as much when general endgame loot outshines crafted equipment you spent a lot of time (and skillpoints) to be able to make.

Crafters will be rare, until people roll crafting alts. Until then expect some guild monopolies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I managed to get to level 22 and have enough skill points spare to keep 1 craft up. I'm sure later on I'll just have enough skill points just for the one guy.

I won't be making crafting alts.

• Locked thread