Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Can people who have the free version ride in other people's planes that they (obviously) don't own or do they have to own said plane before riding in the back? This is important because I need to know if I can crash and kill give joyrides to my friends.

That's what I did before I bought it. I hopped in the free to play and gunned for people. For that, you don't need a joystick, so if you have buddies that want to play Planes the FPS, get them to give it a shot.

Edit:
Also, rockets are fun.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Also if anyone is interested, I was going attempt to gather goons to play this on Sunday at around 6pm EST. Add me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ArtlessMeat/) or hit me up in IRC or PMs. Was planning on meeting up in the CTS mumble.

Insert name here posted:

Time to force all my friends to download the free version :getin:
They can totally shoot out your tail too!

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Mr Darcy posted:

I'd be interested if that didn't work out as 11pm GMT.

Would there be any interest in an earlier session? Maybe 5-6pm GMT?

Actually, 5PM GMT/Noon EST would work for me too.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, this guy has some nice videos. I've been watching quite a few and I look forward to trying to put some of the lessons into practice.

Of course, some are just funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXFv0MkOD4

I love the damage model so much.
Also add me on steam too. Most of the time I stare at my games library, not playing anything, so I could be easily convinced to fly/gun with people.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ArtlessMeat/

Edit: actually, I'll make a spreadsheet for usernames and what not

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 6, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Spreadsheet here Stick your usernames and what not in it.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Picked this up last night and played through the tutorial campaign (great diagrams, hilarious voice acting). Really digging flying planes with less horsepower than a car.

I like to think the training campaign is a future you who traveled back in time to train yourself, since they have the same voice.

Also I have that same stick. Pretty sure I only paid $20 for it too.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyways, to keep things somewhat on topic. Artless proposed a Gotha race for if we ever manage to do a large multiplayer session. The idea of seeing who can take off, fly a few kilometers out to some point, fly back and land first sounds hilarious. I've yet to successfully land a Gotha in about a half-dozen attempts.

And if you crash, you can gun for other people! I will never get a gotha more than 10 feet off the ground.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Bondematt posted:

There will probably need to be some rules, just throwing these out there.

1) No shooting until both are airborne
2) If you crash you can start shooting whenever
3) Steering your flaming wreckage at others is not only allowed, but also encouraged

Yeah, the no shooting until airborne is a definite one. I'll play around with the online stuff and see if there's a way I can place waypoints on the map for everyone.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Shine posted:

Just did a test flight of the Gotha race map and we are all going to loving die.

Definitely. Should be fun :getin:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So the Indie Gala is doing "Happy Hour" right now. If you buy it again (I guess?) and check "Gift" you'll get 4 extra keys as gifts for $7.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Shine posted:

"T" to man the turret, and shift-T (or maybe it's control-T) to align the gunsights to your view.

Shift T makes you get all up on the sight. Sometimes it acts weird and puts it somewhere else. If you just go to the normal t control, you should be able to still use the view controls to live yourself up better.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So would 5pm gmt work for most people on Sunday? Trying to figure out the best time for the most chaotic Gotha race.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I haven't had any problems either with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I plugged it in and recalibrated it and it works completely fine. It's probably more down to luck however.

Same here. The only thing I did was change to an S-curve, but I don't know enough about curves to know what that actually does. Everyone seems to have recommended doing it though.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

I'm doing OK in the Dr.I after watching that video about how to turn it without spinning all over the place. poo poo can run away from me pretty easy though.

I really really like the SE.5. I cheated the controller curves a bit and now it's a stable, steady plane that I constantly score kills in. My new career in it has 3 plane kills and 2 balloons. I've also crashed or "landed" not on the airfield in 4 out of the 6 sorties I've flown. Once because my prop got shot away (landed just on my own side of the front), once because my port side outer strut snapped and left my port bottom wing kind of fluttering (landed in a field and flipped over), and twice just because I'm poo poo. I did manage a perfect landing on the airfield after a piece of shattered Halberstadt ripped my starboard elevator off, and that felt awesome but it was a total bitch not flipping over at slow speeds.

e: what pack unlocks the field mods for stuff like the Camel, Dr.I, and SE.5? I want a loving gunsight.

I believe those are all in the ace pack, along with streamers, scarves, and pistols.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thesoldier posted:

Debris coming off aircraft can damage your plane if it hits you. I learned this the hard way after clipping the wing off a RFC Bomber.

I was like "gently caress YEAH!!! I GOT A...OH poo poo!"
Cue my propeller breaking off, oil all over my goggles, and me having to do a crash landing. At least I didn't get captured in my campaign.

edit: If you have the steam version, can you buy the pilot accessories pack on the website, or is there a DLC for that?

Nope. The 2 stores are totally separate fir ~*reasons*~ The ace pack dlc on steam has all that stuff, and all the field and weapons mods for the planes that come with channel battles.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

:siren: Reminder that Tomorrow, 5PM GMT (Noon EST) there will be Gothas. :siren:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Where will we be meeting for this?

Ah, right, I was forgetting that. Use CTS mumble, and I'll make a server called Goonsquad. This will be the password.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

pixelbaron posted:

If you want to use my server for hosting you're more than welcome, I've been hosting a Mumble server for years for flight sim goons as a hangout:

AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148

Awesome, thanks! This would actually work a lot better, as its a hell of a lot less crowded.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Totally forgot it was Daylight Savings tonight, so I guess its still 5PM GMT, but now 1pm Eastern?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Server is up, feel free to join whenever. We're using this mumble instead of CTS now. Goonsquad is the name, Is the password

pixelbaron posted:

If you want to use my server for hosting you're more than welcome, I've been hosting a Mumble server for years for flight sim goons as a hangout:

AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, we should really do what myself and some guys I know did in IL-2, which was to have two fully-crewed (with humans - or as close to fully-crewed as possible) Heinkels and (try to) duke it out with each other high in the skies; except obviously in RoF's case we'd be doing it with Gothas, or something similar.

Best outcome: When one gets damaged and/or desperate enough (and still has its payload) and attempts to fly directly over the other plane, dropping its bombs on the way, in an attempt to blow up the other bomber and HOPEFULLY make it out themselves!

EDIT: vvv Forgot about that. But yeah, definitely no Brenners. And no dual-MGs either, possibly?

I was actually going to try to get 2 full Felixstowes going, but we only had 5 or 6 people, which is only one planes worth. Also if you're flying low enough, the Handley Page's 1300kg bomb has a big enough blast and long enough delay to blow whoever's chasing you out of the sky. Ask Galaga about it!

Edit: I'll get a steam group up. We could just randomly hop onto servers and gun for each other. The problem I'm running into right now is an abbreviation for the group. Everything seems to be taken.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

But anyway, to whoever mentioned earlier that they were going to make a goon group for RoF, did you wind up creating one? If so/not yet, would you mind posting a link for it? I've gotta get in on some of that goon RoF action ASAP!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RoFGoons It's not public right now, so hop into the chat and I'll start inviting people.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

A couple more gifs from the gotha event earlier.

Pilots view of takeoff

Coming in for a landing. Apparently the Gotha decided it was done, and didn't want the runway.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My Gotha jumping into the air way early before teleporting back where it should be is certainly an interesting bug in your recording.

I was very confused on how you were already in the air, before you snapped back down.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

TheBlobThing posted:

I got the same thing. That kind of turned me off being observer, and now I'm sticking to being poo poo in a fighter.

It's something to do with the way the map differs between the base game and the way PWCG generates maps, according to the forums. Supposedly Pat is trying to make it work.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I've had it happen to me too. I just figured it had something to do with the props RPMs forcing it up, if that's even possible.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Who was it that landed the Gotha first in the last event? Also I'm thinking about attempting another event this Saturday, but I start a new job tomorrow, so I would need someone to be a backup host if I have to work. Did the time work for everyone, or should it be a little later?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

AngrySpork posted:

So I am trying out PWCG, and I want to start out as an Observer/Gunner. I selected the correct option in PWCG to be an observer, and I'm flying in the HP O-400, but every time the mission loads, I'm sitting in the pilot seat. What am I doing wrong?

fake edit:

Ditto :allears:

I'll see if I have to work Saturday, and if not, try to get something going.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

BillyJoeBob posted:

I was fiddling with the controls some more and realized there are 4 engines in the settings. What sort of monstrous 4 engine beasts could there be in WWI?

I also won at flare guns forever. I whipped out the gun and fired it at a crippled Sopwith Strutter that had a dead observer. I saw the flare smack the pilot square in the head and kill him, or it must have, because he slumped down and the plane went into a flat spin. I was too amazed to have captured it on video or pictures though. :(

If they ever add Russian planes, there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Ilya_Muromets

There was also this, but it was much more limited.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin-Staaken_R.VI

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 14, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

So I'm thinking of getting a flight stick for this game. Any opinions on Mad Catz Cyborg Fly 5? Will it suffice?

Sweet thread Galaga, especially loved that take-off walkthrough. Going to set the mix and radiator control to auto, though. Could never multitask enough, ever since the first Combat Flight Simulator. I crashed so many times.

This is what I'm using, and it's pretty good, if the other one turns out to blow.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

:siren: so I'm off Saturday and Sunday, which day works better for the most people?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, last time we started at 5PM GMT (That is 1pm EST/10am PST with current DST changes).

It'd be at the same time this time. We'll shoot for Saturday then, use Sunday as an alternate/second gathering

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

15 minutes until multiplayer hijinks!

Remember if you use mods you need to uncheck the "use modifications" button in the options and restart the game before you'll be able to see the server.

Server is up. Gonna stream for laughs.

:frogsiren: Goonsquad is the name of the server, password is this. I figure we can fart around there for a while to gather people, then maybe go mob a server, or just keep playing on Goonsquad.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

My poor Felixstowe :smith:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

I made a Gotha G5 Skin:

It's beautiful.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I'll be busy at the normal time, but if people want to group up and hop on a public server together later I'd be down for that.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

IL-2 goons play RoF was kind of a bust because I apparently can't host.

I have the ports forwarded, Windows firewall is off.

If I set my IP in game to my external IP, when I try to load a mission it crashes back to the game's main screen at about 75% If I leave the IP as my internal IP the mission loads but nobody can connect.

I had Jerik try to host and he ran in to the same problem.

IL-2 works fine so I'm p sure it's the game.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I had no issues when I was hosting it. I just forwarded the ports and hit create game in the multiplayer menu. I'll try to see if I can find the exact ports I opened.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

You using the Steam or Stand Alone? I just tried Stand Alone and it works fine.

I use the steam version.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Reztes posted:

That was a pretty cool Nova, thanks for sharing. These planes are drat pretty in real life!

So I've been playing this almost exclusively the past week or two in the free planes, and I want to finally pick up some more to play with. I'm too impatient to wait for the Steam edition to go on sale, so I'm looking for input on some plane suggestions to cover a variety of playstyles/niches. So far I'm thinking of picking up:

1.)Camel - iconic, I want to spin around like a jackass
2.)Fokker Dr. 1 - iconic, I want to spin around like a jackass, but on purpose
3.)Fokker D VIII - monoplane, looks fun, presuming it's at least a little OP as a late 1918 model
4.)D.H.2 - Endman's OP made this one look fun, pusher seems awesome for enjoying the scenery
5.)something wacky like the Gotha or a boatplane
+ channel map

This list is missing a 2-seater, so I'd consider something there, also considered an Albatross, Nieuport/SE5 or Pfalz but just cuz I have no experience with those (other than shooting at/getting shot down by them).

The SPAD is really fun and I've gotten a few kills now that I have headtracking set up. For some reason though the AI sometimes just chooses to try to climb straight away from me and not evade or anything while I pour bullets up its tail. :effort: I dunno maybe he was out of ammo and just trying to get home.

Check your PMs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Plus the winter sale is in about a month, if they don't hit 75% this time.

• Locked thread