Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niebezimienny
Dec 29, 2008
He posted, but he is not going to post any more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
please ban the op

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

niebezimienny posted:

He posted, but he is not going to post any more...

i wish you'd follow his lead

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To dispel some persistent myths: my writing is based entirely on stuff I read for free during my spare time. I usually post from work, during breaks. Jokes about 'Death Of The Author' are somewhat misguided because I subscribe to a sort of auteur theory.

Prefuse posted:

whats your favorite kaiju monster SMG

Gamera.

Extra Koos posted:

Now then, SMG:

Have you heard Zižek's point about the perniciousness of slavery? He says that a slave, though in bondage, will say and believe that he's free. That it's his choice to serve, and that if he really wanted to, he could stop. Zižek concludes that it's not the chains that actually keep him in place, and prevent revolution, but his insistence on his own autonomy.

You create "oppositional readings," where you ignore the obvious intent, how the images are likely to be received, and even the images themselves, in order to say every film is a satire of the liberal-capitalist system; you, despite all external reality, insist that the opposite reading is true. You are the slave Zižek spoke of.

The point you refer to is very basically about the critique of ideology. A woman in a patriarchal society, for example, may believe her actions to be entirely 'natural'. She may celebrate the freedom to dress 'slutty', or the freedom to dress conservatively - while entirely overlooking the broader exploitation of women, the reduction of women to a lower class, class conflict itself. As a more extreme example, Tumblr fights 'intolerance' by celebrating the freedom to gently caress dogs and be a character from Homestuck.

You presume that I believe myself free of liberal capitalism. I'm not. I argue for being conscious of unfreedom.

What you wrote does not make much sense to me otherwise, unless you've really confused 'oppositional' with 'opposite' - thinking that oppositional reading is just a matter of saying up is down and water is dry. Maybe good is bad? Really makes you think....

The Flying Fish posted:

smg do you know any good movies where thousands of niggers are brutally slaughtered with bazookas and machine guns?

Sure: World War Z

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To dispel some persistent myths: my writing is based entirely on stuff I read for free during my spare time. I usually post from work, during breaks. Jokes about 'Death Of The Author' are somewhat misguided because I subscribe to a sort of auteur theory.

Gamera.

The point you refer to is very basically about the critique of ideology. A woman in a patriarchal society, for example, may believe her actions to be entirely 'natural'. She may celebrate the freedom to dress 'slutty', or the freedom to dress conservatively - while entirely overlooking the broader exploitation of women, the reduction of women to a lower class, class conflict itself. As a more extreme example, Tumblr fights 'intolerance' by celebrating the freedom to gently caress dogs and be a character from Homestuck.

You presume that I believe myself free of liberal capitalism. I'm not. I argue for being conscious of unfreedom.

What you wrote does not make much sense to me otherwise, unless you've really confused 'oppositional' with 'opposite' - thinking that oppositional reading is just a matter of saying up is down and water is dry. Maybe good is bad? Really makes you think....

:gb2gbs:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I can't go back to GBS. I can't!

Rev. Sam
Mar 2, 2014

I can't go back to GBS. I can't!

enjoy your stay here. tell me a story, smg

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

write a fanfic about Ralp getting beat up during jr high basketball practice so hard he barfed up his Hi-C or STFU

Rev. Sam
Mar 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

write a fanfic about Ralp getting beat up during jr high basketball practice so hard he barfed up his Hi-C or STFU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

FyaD is my home now, but many things are new to me. Who is ralph?

----------------

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

He's a second life troll who stands around annoying players who beg him to leave constantly.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you : koos :: me : ralp

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Gamera.

shut up you tard

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Then why would any product of a liberal capitalist system be an indictment of that system, instead of an endorsement? When you choose to read films that way you're denying not only the abstract ideology surrounding them, but the concrete fact of how they're widely received, all to assert your own freedom as a supposedly revolutionary viewer.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

:iceburn: take that, Bradley (pitt)

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

El Kooserino posted:

Then why would any product of a liberal capitalist system be an indictment of that system, instead of an endorsement? When you choose to read films that way you're denying not only the abstract ideology surrounding them, but the concrete fact of how they're widely received, all to assert your own freedom as a supposedly revolutionary viewer.

It almost seems like this guy who gave real thought to the transformers movie might be stupid

----------------

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

SMg, can you please analyze this comic?

scrub lover is good

Rev. Sam
Mar 2, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It almost seems like this guy who gave real thought to the transformers movie might be stupid

is transformars getting a reboot?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

It is all sex

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

He is an admin.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Sam posted:

is transformars getting a reboot?

the robots are going to gently caress

----------------

Rev. Sam
Mar 2, 2014

is megan fox in it

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

ralp is a recently crowned admin who used to post in fyad. he's been doing a lot of stuff that has pissed people here off as of late like appointing inactive iks who do awkward things, and banning popular posters. i hope you put your powers to good use and write the story

----------------

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

El Kooserino posted:

By identifying a given film as a product of the capitalist system, and an endorsement of capitalist ideology, you yourself are already performing an oppositional reading. If you disagree with that endorsement, you can point to the film as an example, criticizing the system yourself. You're doing exactly what I do: appropriating the film.

The only difference is that I don't worry about 'does the director think correct' or 'do general audiences think correct'. This misidentifies the source of social antagonism as 'stupid people', 'Michael Bay', and/or 'Transformers movies' - as if eliminating these things, if you even could, would solve anything. Instead, why not appropriate the films by performing oppositional readings? Read them as satire by disagreeing with them, holding them up as examples.

Identifying and criticizing ideology does not 'deny ideology'(?), but it also does not instantly 'make you free'. It just makes you aware. In They Live, putting on the glasses just gives Nada a headache, at first.

----------------

Rev. Sam
Mar 2, 2014

By identifying a given film as a product of the capitalist system, and an endorsement of capitalist ideology, you yourself are already performing an oppositional reading. If you disagree with that endorsement, you can point to the film as an example, criticizing the system yourself. You're doing exactly what I do: appropriating the film.

The only difference is that I don't worry about 'does the director think correct' or 'do general audiences think correct'. This misidentifies the source of social antagonism as 'stupid people', 'Michael Bay', and/or 'Transformers movies' - as if eliminating these things, if you even could, would solve anything. Instead, why not appropriate the films by performing oppositional readings? Read them as satire by disagreeing with them, holding them up as examples.

Identifying and criticizing ideology does not 'deny ideology'(?), but it also does not does instantly 'make you free'. It just makes you aware. In They Live, putting on the glasses just gives Nada a headache, at first.

heavy heavy stuff

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Rev. Sam posted:

heavy heavy stuff

please shut up

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

catdynamite posted:

SMg, can you please analyze this comic?

It's about racism. Even though the cat is no longer in the way, the witch is still disgusted by its laziness. Even though she wields magic powers, she is deeply unhappy and blames her unhappiness on the 'piece of poo poo'.

----------------

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

It's about racism. Even though the cat is no longer in the way, the witch is still disgusted by its laziness. Even though she wields magic powers, she is deeply unhappy and blames her unhappiness on the 'piece of poo poo'.

analyze fyad

thanks to horny rabbit guy

Maltag
Oct 1, 2007
analyze my rear end into my rear end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
what movie do you keep finding new things about, SMg?

----------------

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
is fyad like middle earth? hopefully SMG can tell us.

thanks to horny rabbit guy

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Analyze this video and please use like 3000 words thanks!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXzNxtZM9k

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Identifying and criticizing ideology does not 'deny ideology'(?), but it also does not instantly 'make you free'. It just makes you aware. In They Live, putting on the glasses just gives Nada a headache, at first.

Poopy, poopy pee.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

To my knowledge, cats are notoriously lazy creatures. This comic illustrates that even when supernatural powers are applied, cats will still do whatever they want.

rubber cat
Jul 1, 2002
smg what are your thoughts on rotten tomatoes and the tomatometer

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

gas and ban the OP. gas and ban rev. sam. de-admin ralp and turn him over to the police, as he is a known sex offender and literally a pedophile.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Twisty of Fate posted:

To my knowledge, cats are notoriously lazy creatures. This comic illustrates that even when supernatural powers are applied, cats will still do whatever they want.

You may praise a tail.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Davelord Cheeto posted:

gas and ban the OP. gas and ban rev. sam. de-admin ralp and turn him over to the police, as he is a known sex offender and literally a pedophile.

countdown to ralp being deadmined for severe sex crimes

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

The only difference is that I don't worry about 'does the director think correct' or 'do general audiences think correct'. This misidentifies the source of social antagonism as 'stupid people', 'Michael Bay', and/or 'Transformers movies' - as if eliminating these things, if you even could, would solve anything.

It has nothing to do with whether they "think correct," but with the fact that their thoughts can't be ignored if you're looking at the meaning of a film holistically.

Instead, why not appropriate the films by performing oppositional readings? Read them as satire by disagreeing with them, holding them up as examples.

Because, that is foolish.

• Locked thread