Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Maen

She was eternal and immortal.

She was young like a newborn babe.

Her knowledge was vast.

She knew next to nothing.

Yet she needed to know nothing. For one such as her, the past is a gray, dead thing. Perhaps sometimes it can be of interest in the works of man shaped by it, yet there is always new passion, new beauty attracting her eye elsewhere. From her celestial sphere did she gaze down, lips in a smile of faint appreciation and amusement at all the busy scuttling and loving and crafting. But it was never for her to leave things as they were.

She acted on a whim, for that was her wont. Her silver gaze turning towards Omette, in the lands of Kesk. A university there, a place of young minds. Brimming with creativity and passion, yet straining against rules that were laid upon them to make them into citizens of use. Yes, this place gained her interest, for now.

And so it was that on a night where a full moon was in the sky, six students found sleep beyond their grasp. Their nightly path would find them outside, and should they look at the heavens, they would find a silver gaze upon them. For each of them had gotten the attention of Maen upon them. No new ideas were granted in their head. No visions of their complete beyond what their minds could craft themselves. Such would be tedious. Instead, under the Lunar lights, they found their minds better suited to their great work. Their will fortified, other concerns became more trivial, their minds sharpened to a dangerously sharp edge, their hearts filled with the desire to create, their hands made steadier and their eyes made clearer.

A poet, a playwright, a painter, a sculptor, a musician and an architect. They were not given instructions. They were not given direction. They were not even given a name to worship. All they were given was clarity and drive to commit to their art. And then Maen watched. She gave no protection to them, no particular favour, beyond the six having her attention for as long as this whimsy lasted.

Make these six people into artists of legend, possibly with tragic consequences for their personal life. I want the University to have a thriving artistic edge to them, inspired by the example they set. So basically an academy to keep producing art and artists of all kind. What is already there, I want expanded. I want the works these six create to kickstart an artistic rebirth. Other students would flock to them, and strive to make their own art. And for the university to influence the youth of that nation into more artistic things towards the future.

So this is very much an Influence on Omette to have the university produce a lot more art, the six artists are simply the method for that influence. They don't need to hang around.

Shogeton posted:

Maen, goddess of the Moon, Chaos, Madness, Love and Art

Mercurial, beautiful and bewitching, dwelling in the darkness yet sometimes giving light. She is often aloof and distant, caring or understanding little of the day to day needs of people. No, it is only when human hearts and souls come to a fever pitch that her eyes turn that way. Those lost in love, in creative passion, or in madness are said to navigate by the moon. The more resistance and consequences there are to these passions, the more valuable it is to her to see them prevail. The prince marrying a peasant girl despite the great turmoil it might bring, the artist writing poetry that sets a population on fire, the madman escaping all attempts to restrain him and following his delusions to their inevitable conclusion.

At her best she is inspirational, patron of lovers, muse to the artists, supporter of freedom, refuge for those who are broken by reality. At her worst she drives lovers to self-destruction, artists to obsession and instigates of madness and death both in individuals and societies. And of course, her favour is never reliable. Without reason or rhyme, she might withdraw the gifts she has given.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Maen

For soem passages of the moon, Maen watched the ones she had inspired. With utmost fascination she listened, she watched, she admired. The original six were but a spark, and soon they set the university aflame. Forgotten were dry treatises on anatomy and dry expositions on law and order. They aided survival, but they did not aid LIFE, vibrant, if sometimes short. The old order crashing down was a work of art in itself to the eyes of the moon goddess. Other matters in the world were ignored in favour of losing herself in paintings, poetry and sculpture, dance, song and play.

Yet it couldn't last. Eventually, the new order was established. Art was still produced, but there is but so long Maen's eye could rest on one place. There was no gradual loss of interest. One night, as the moon rose, she simply drew her eye away from them. The six people she had raised up had already been forgotten earlier, in favour of other, newer art works. Yet now, the artwork that was the world drew her attention.

Her delighted laughter could be heard through the night. "So sweet, the sudden changes, the fall of ancient order, the breaking of old taboos, the freedom of the open seas. Beautiful chimes of discord fill the heavens." She danced among the stars for a while, a laugh carefree and mad on her lips.

And then she stopped in the middle of a step, looking down once more, seeing what Meroth had wrought. "Hah, such passions you inspire, brother. I look forward to the frightful and mad songs that will be sung of you. But I wish more, more songs to be sung. Other songs." And so she gazed at the cities. There were she was most needed, there where she was least wanted. She sought a place of cold hearts. A place that would dare to mock and belittle love, where marriage was little more than a cold, calculated orderly decision, preferably guided by ancient, perhaps even sacred traditions.

And once she'd have found it, she'd chuckle to herself... and then do nothing.

Give me some information of a place that either doesn't contain much romantic love, or suppresses it heavily. Otherwise, do nothing for the turn.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen

From above, the lunargent one watched as the barony languished. It had been love that had damned the place to lovelessness. But was it not always this way? Love is blind, sometimes self-destructive. But all the more beautiful for it. The flame lives on the candle, but destroys it all the same. Briefly, she considered simply letting things be as they were. A whole nation's love sacrificed so that the mistress, the baron and the beast could continue their bittersweet tragedy.

But no, things should not remain stable. No play should last forever, lest it become tedious. The passions that enflamed the three should be allowed to reach their climax. Some would likely be consumed by them. Perhaps the nation would be as a whole. To be honest, the common population was already forgotten by the goddess' whimsical minds. Only three were in her silver eyes now. The Beast, the Baron, the Mistress. She looked in their hearts for the traces of love.

Who did the Baron truly love? Did he contain a trace of affection for the wife he'd cast out? Had he ever? Did his heart truly burn with passion for his mistress, or was it just base, vulgar banal lust that drove him? Harming that most sacred of drives for superficial self indulgence of flesh and fluids?

And the Beast? Had all love in her turned to hatred? Did she hate the Mistress perhaps more than her former husband? Did she hope to reclaim him, one way or the other, perhaps love twisted in a new and possessive form? Did she weep under the moonlight?

And then there was the mistress? Was she simply an object of desire, without any emotional bonds herself? Was she a master manipulator, steering the baron's love or lust her way for the sake of power and luxury? Or was she perhaps enkindled by true love, being prepared to drat everyone for the object of her affection.

These questions now took Maen's attention fully, and the rest of the world could burn as far as she cared as she sought answers.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen

Maen nodded. The only sin of the baron was cowardice. Hiding his love for fear of his life. The Beast was dismissed. Once she had loved, but it had burned out, as love sometimes does. Only one was worthy of her support in this.

The decision not to intervene was quickly forgotten. She never bothered to learn the name of the girl. It didn't matter, only her love mattered, and what she was willing to do for it.

And so, as the girl rested in her tower, being spied on by the man hiding his love, she would dream...

She was in a shadowy place, lit only by the moon. It seemed to be a moonlit garden, but without any order. Paths winded, ended in dead ends or leading back unto itself. Statues and paintings were scattered without rhyme or reason, and occasionally seemed to change while one was not looking at them. The plants grew wild, hiding much from view. From unseen areas came scattered notes of beautiful music, no and then with the sighs and laughter of happy couples. except some of the laughter sounded... manic. Even the moon seemed to disobey, having a different form each time she gazed upon it.

And then she'd see a vision of the baron, looking around fearfully, running into the hedges. As she followed, thorns would grasp at her sides, hurting her. The object of her love always just out of her view, but his footsteps could be heard.

And then... the footsteps stopped, and she found herself face to face with Maen. She lounged on a beautiful silver couch, its silk sparkling with beauty. Her dress was white, set with sapphires, though it seemed to change as she watched. Her skin a pale blue, her lips slightly darker and a welcoming smile on them. Her eyes were sparkling silver.

"Welcome, girl. I am Maen. The one who favours the artists, the mad and the lovers." She leaned forward. "You love the baron, despite his disloyalty, his cruelty, his cowardice." She smiled. "That makes you favoured by me, for love has no need of reason." Briefly her smile had a slight edge of madness, before turning to a more serene smile.

"How does one measure love? By the things one is willing to do for it, to sacrifice for it. For you, the baron has made sacrifices. Has banished his wife, has made himself into a figure of sin, has made himself hated and feared by his people. Yet now, fear keeps him from acting. He suffers, he might go mad yet with suffering, if he is not already."

Those silver eyes fixed on her. "What are you willing to do girl? What are you willing to sacrifice for him?" She reached up, and in front of her eyes Maen took the crescent moon out of the sky, turning it to a silver glow in her hands, her pale fingers straightening it out. "You know who stands in your way. Your are innocent. Never have you killed, or desired one's death. But now, the woman that once loved now but hates. While she lives, your love cannot blossom."

The mmoon grabbed out of the sky was made into a blade. It was artful, fine, looking more like a thing made for show, as if it would break on the first strike. Yet its edge was sharp, and as she planted the knife in the marble floor under her it easily slid inside. "Take the blade, lover of the baron. Take it, and that tower will not hold you. Announce your love. And face the Beast. For the sake of your love, you will kill her, you will kill the wife of the one you love. And you will sacrifice her heart to me, the patroness of lovers, in front of the people. Or leave, and wither in that tower, alongside with your love for him."

Appear in the Mistress' dream to give her a magical blade. (if she agrees, she'll wake up with the blade beside her) instruct her to escape, declare her love for the Baron, and face the beast in Mortal combat, then publicly sacrifice her heart to Maen. If she does that, she is free to use the blade afterwards as she will.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Platonis' home

Maen too arrives, finding her own decorated part of the room to her liking, lounging luxuriously on it, a happy smile on her visage. Oh, it wasn't a permanent one, but what is permanent? She should enjoy the moment as it lasted.

She grinned as Meroth spoke. "Hah, I wouldn't say it is a better way, Platonis. Books are dead and lifeless, words have their greatest power when spoken in passion. And how can we not clash? What manner of world would you build that would gladden both Meroth and me?" She gave the God of Hate a wink. "He and I will struggle, as many of us will. We should take care not to destroy this world, naturally, but I will not be contained in some grand scheme, oh architect."

"But that book of yours. Hmmmm... I would not be opposed to it. Truth is your area, not mine though, but I could make its words stir passion in hearts. And I would hate to see a book about the gods being written as a dry and dull set of rules. I'll give assistance." She inclined her head.

"OAnd of course he searches to advance knowledge, dear brother Meroth. And he is somewhat arrogant, is he not? But punishment? Hah, by what rule? By what authority? We are gods, we obey no law. If he offends you that much, strike at him, maybe convince others to do so. But punishment? For those who are above rules? A laughable notion."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Platonis' home

Maen laughs with delight and a slight edge of mania at some of the discussion, reaching out to run a slender hand over the divine hog's porcine head. "Not forcing our way into the hearts of mortals? That might be the way for some of you." She stood, whirling around, taking a few dance steps to music only she could hear. "But I am love, I am inspiration, I am madness. I do not come when asked, and I do not leave when bid. Like you, dear brother Gohdog, I make my way somewhere, make it more lively, even if things get broken at times." She looked at a fine looking statue that had broken as the other god had tipped it over. It was carelessly thrown away, vanishing into nothingness.

She grinned. "But it sounds delightful. One book containing the works of many of us? With some divine attention from so many sources in one thing, some of it perhaps to destroy it." Another delighted chuckle. "I cannot wait to see where this leads to. And this printing press is a good thing. Poetry, novels, plays... they can reach and inspire farther and easier now. Hah, and this Book shall contain some of the first. But know this, this book will be several voices, each singing their own song. I have no intent to support some grand unified order you wish to create." As suddenly she had stood, she suddenly sat down. The word 'order' sounded like a slur in her mouth. "It will be each of our manifestos. The book will contradict itself, one chapter forbidding what the other one demands. I love it!"

"So, let us start preparations. Who is going to be part of this, who stays out of it, and who promises to try to prevent it."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Ruins of Seaside

Maen's attention was on poetry for a while, but the ever fickle moon goddess was quickly distracted. Not by a small thing no, but by the raging storm tearing apart the community of Seaside. Her lips scowl. She had liked the place, while peraps a bit placid, there was love there, and the songs they sung had pleased her ears at times.

Seeing the pig-god throw himself into the storm with glee, she soon joined him, delighted sqeals with a joyful, but insane laughter as she allowed herself to be tossed here and there by the storm. Finally, she managed to find a path through the Chaos near the God Hog.

"You love those people don't you, Gohdog? Then let me give them a gift to face the hard weather, and the dangers of the road" She spoke feverishly. "They will be strong, they will be able to withstand this, and they shall remember what happened here. But you know my gifts enflame the mind and soul." She pointed up. "When the moon's face is full, they will be beset by madness, destructive and terrible. Yet... because they are from Seaside, as long as they are in a home where they have been well received, or holding an item given to them with a charitable heart, their minds shall remain clear as a new moon night. What say you?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Ruins of Seaside

Maen listens, giving a dark smile. "I know a girl that would tell you that love sometimes requires blood and pain, but very well, I will respect your wish... this time. I like your idea too." As the storm recedes, and the moon once more shines over the people, Maen grins. "Let it be done!"

And Maen raced after the storm, and from its squalls, she caught several raindrops in a silver woven net. Little drops of storm.

The stormwracked people would hear a voice on the wind that followed the storm. "Nothing ever remains as it is. All order is a sandcastle in front of the tide, or a wooden building in a storm. No longer must you resist the call of the horizon. You'll dance on fortune's tunes, and fortune is fickle as I. But your songs pleased Maen, and as long as you travel the moonlit paths, the moon will ever guide you."

As she ran her fingers over that silver net, raindrops were altered, turning into beautiful blue gemstones. "Leave it uncarved, and throw yourself at fortune's mercy, the moon will lead you to good luck, if you gaze through these gifts. Wherever it might be. And if ever your hearts should be lost to one location, you may artfully carve the gem into the shape of a place, and the moon will ever guide you there. Yet you will lose fortune's favour, that is the price for giving up your wandering ways."

Create Gemstones for each of the survivors. Look through them while they are left unworked they will lead towards 'good fortune' if looked through at the moon. (bad luck on overcast days or new moon) But if crafted into a depiction of a certain location, it will lead towards that location, though no longer towards good fortune.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen- Platonis home

Maen arrived near Platonis, parchment following her, a silver quill writing as she spoke, the Patroness of Artists engaging in poetry of her own.

Leave the wide, well lit roads
shun the oft-trod ways
Follow the narrow moon lit path
and embark on a wild chase

No other can see them there,
appear only in your eyes
follow them through thorn and briar
there you will find paradise

If only for a brief moment
A second of sweet bliss
before passion claims your breath
with her warm and tender kiss

Better to chase heart's urges
then yield to caution's chain
a second can be worth a lifetime
Without that second, life is vain

Opening her eyes, she nodded in satisfaction at that poem, taking the parchment in hand. She didn't quite seem to notice the other god's rage at the fire god's attempts. "There, I wouldn't want the book to be completely dull." she chuckled. The knowledge god would probably need to do some work to make sure the poems would be in a format that would work well with printers. The poems, small plays and songs that were written down where spread all over the parchment, without any kind of order, some of them written sideways for some reason or other. Or no reason perhaps.

And then she looked at the calendar, but her reaction was likely not what Platonis would expect. Her lips twisted in a scowl and her eyes darkened as she looked up to him. "Now, you insult me, God of paper." She tossed the calendar down. "You seek to make my moon, and the worship sacrificed to me part of one of your little structures? NO! I WILL NOT HAVE IT!"

She left his roof, looking up where the moon hung. Her pale blue hand reaching out to it. "I will not have it. No mortal or god will be able to predict you. You will be whimsical and unpredictable. Now be one day faster, now be one day slower. Go from full to new moon as your mood strikes you. Be wild and untamed.

I would like to add one chapter to the Big Book, filled with poetry, stories, plays and written down songs. They all exhort following one's passion in all things, with a recurring theme the 'following the moonlit path'

Speaking about the moon, mess with it so its phases become entirely unpredictable. Because Chaos Goddesses don't like becoming part of making an order of time.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Baron Kar-Nor's lands

Her rage at Platonis' attempts to cage the moon in his calendars quenched, Maen simply enjoys the world. Every now and then the gods might hear her laughter as the moon was full, delighted with the struggles of the other gods. Still, she did nothing beyond that laughter. The burning of the books didn't seem to phase her, even if some poetry she had liked was lost there. There'd be new poems.

No, her interest lingered on the lands of Baron Kar-Nor. A year had passed. How were these lands doing? She'd just about forgotten all the laws and rules against love that ruled there. Had they been cast down? How would a people who were too scared to love handle its return? Would it be like a dam broken, overflowing? Or rather carefully and hesitantly coming out?

And naturally, how was the wielder of the silver blade doing? She had fought and killed for her love. Maen had not shielded her since then. Did she endure, and did her love endure?

Taking a peek at Baron Kar-Nor's lands, more specificually at the state of love there, and very specifically the love of the Baron and the Mistress.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairdeal

There's a flash of silver, and the divine Hog would find pale, cold light wash over him, Maen looking down at him with her unblinking eyes. Yet no smile is on her face at this point.

"Again, Gohdog, you do nothing but stop others. I am the patroness of artists. And what more can an artist hate than the critic. He who says 'this should not be', 'I do not like this, stop it', yet creates nothing for himself instead. I care not much for Meroth, Platonis is a bore, and I know little of sister Cipher, yet they are Gods. It is not for them to see their great works constantly turned to dust by another one."

The light grew colder and brighter, madness starting to shine. Now Maen started to smile, yet the smile was fearsome. "I remember what you said in the council. That as gods we were 'guests' that should 'behave'? Follow those rules if you want, generous one, but I will not see a god bind another with his rules. We exist to leave a mark on this world! If you try to stop that, I shall leave a mark on you!"

The moonlight seemed to become solid, turning into threatening spears.

"Stand down, Gohdog. Let Cipher act as she will. Or you will suffer great pains indeed."

Threatening Gohdog, if he continues blocking Cipher, we're gonna see combat.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairdeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE

And so the Swine God turned his back on the Chaos Goddess. Her eyes widened, her body shook in indignation. A shift seemed to go through her. While before there was always a control, a refined affection, the madness within peering through an artful facade. Now her visage was twisted with madness, her tresses moving on unseen winds. Her voice was uneven, unclear whether it would go to a sob, a laugh or a scream of rage. Far above, the moon turned a blood red in colour.

"You... turn your back to me? Tantrum? I... am a Goddess... I am Madness and Chaos!" Another chuckle which ended in a sob. "Blood, blood, it has to come in blood. Wills will not be kept back. To me moonsilver!" Two pale blue hands grabbed a moonbeam that turned into a spear. "Sing with me Gohdog promise me you'll sing! It must be beautiful I know you are a pig, but artists will have to paint this, and if it doesn't look good it'll be bad and ugly and boring and... and;..."

With that, eyes shining with madness, she charged towards the swine god, lunar spear held high. "BEAUTY! COME TO ME!"

Let's dance

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairdeal

Maen's eyes still burned madly as the moonspear pierced divine flesh. "Am I a peddler at market?" She cried out. "You seek to barter with madness?" Another deranged chuckle.

"You know what you need to do to stop this, Gohdog, I told you what I'd do if you'd stopped this forest. I stand by my words. If you wish to avoid conflict so much, then stand down, and let Cipher do as she will! Otherwise, I'll shed the blood, though the flood that comes might drown us all."

No deal.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairdeal

Maen's countenance was driven to mad rage once more. "I break the chains now, swine god. I break the chains of one who would chain the gods for the benefits of the mortals! I break the chains of the one who would choke us for the sake of order! And besides that, I make the one bleed who has given me insult! That is how I choose to use my power, and it is only for me to judge it!"

She grinned madly again. "Now use your power, Gohdog, and I shall use mine! The audience has been teased long enough. Let us bring this song to its finale."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairdeal

"Restraint? RESTRAINT IS JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR CHAINS!" Maen shrieked as she pierced the silver lance into Gohdog. "You speak as if you're the hero, but we gods are power given form! Choke our power, and you kill us!"

Deeper and deeper she plunged the spear, deeper and deeper in her madness she plunged. "Hahaha, a monster, a silver weapon, and one that stops that from what must happen!"

As they fought, madness took more complete hold of the town of Fairdeal, and madness took more complete control of Maen's countenance. As she released the spear, she bounced off, the too wide grin on her face, bowing to an imaginary audience. "Thank you, I did it all for my one true love, my beloved baron."

And then Gohdog simply removed the spear, Maen looking at it with mad panic. "No! NO! That is now how it's supposed to go! I slay the monster, and all is well. It's how it's supposed to go! You can't do that! Stop it!" She tore at her hair. "Baron? Where are you, my love?" She looked around, seeing Gohdog go away. "NO! This has to be finished! You're the monster, I'm the lover and we have to do the thing! Otherwise it's all gonna come apart. Hahahah... it'll be Chaos... or not? Wait... no, I wasn't... was I the monster all along?"

She turned away form him. "A forest filled with monsters? Did he do... no, I did... no wait... she did... Yes she did, she did, and I stabbed her? No, stabbed the pig, the monster? The shadowed figure? The tower. Do I need to get back to the tower? I need to run, the beast it out at night! It's not safe! Blood, blood, blood drowning all of us, and I'm the one that did it! HAHAHAHAAAAAAA!"

And with that Maen ran raving into the woods, laughing as tears ran down her face. As a cloud moved in front of the moon, her light dimmed for a bit, the Mother of Madness' taking a more mortal form as she sought refuge in the woods.

Not attacking further, going nuttballs and spending the rest of the year as a raving madwoman in the forest, likely to end up in Fairdeal with the other crazies.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Fairwood

She was known as the singing girl. Nobody really knew her name, including she herself it seemed. She wandered around the town, especially at night, and looked at the moon. Often, she would sing nonsensical songs, but her voice was beautiful. She herself had... some beauty, but it was harder to see, dressed in rags and unkempt as she was. Now and then she was given food by the kindness of others.. For the most part, she was just one of the many mad folks wandering around the former trade city. Just another shattered mind. Appreciation for her song kept her relatively safe from harm for a while.

But in a city of madness, you are never fully safe.

The moon was full, and she was outside, singing a song about blind musicians and deaf painters, not realizing she'd been marked as prey. A roving band of mad cannibals hunted the street, as mad as others, seeing the power of the creatures outside, they sought to emulate them. They weren't particularly strong, but one lone girl, they could handle.

They fell upon her like a roving pack of wolves. She ran, screaming, but they goaded her into a dead end alley. One of them used a stick to hit at her leg, causing her to fall on the ground. With slavering maws and mad laughter, they pushed her to the ground, planning to carve into her flesh with knives, or tear it from her bones with their teeth. The singing girl screamed in terror, calling for help from anyone who'd hear. But in Fairwood, madness ruled, and few would come.

And they did tear flesh off her, putting the warm flesh in their mouths, blood dripping down their chins. But their victim did not die. No, instead, her flesh grew back, not the normal skin, but rather a pale blue. When their victim suddenly started laughing, with a delighed madness, they backed off. Crawling up, her blood, now silver, dripping from her naked body, Maen grinned.

"Hahahah... a little vacation from reason hm? I suppose this mortal shell had to die for me to remember what I truly am." She grinned at the cannibals that attacked her. "Hmm... hunters hm? Hahahaha... very well. Hunters you'll be, crazed, moonmad hunters!" She pointed at them. "You've eaten the flesh of madness and chaos! Now your flesh too shall be full with madness and change within!"

And with those words the madmen started to warp and twist, muscles bulging, faced turning bestial, skin turning into coarse fur. Soon after, the group of cannibals were turned into hulking werewolves. Maen laughed in delight and spoke. "Know this. As you were changed when you ate my flesh, so you can change others by feeding them yours. If you're not too hungry to take their flesh for yourself. And as you seem to delight in the flesh of humans, that shall be your only food. Every time the moon is full as it is now, your hunger for human flesh will overcome whatever shreds of sanity still hold you." She reached to press a hand on the chest of one of them.

As the newly made werewolves rushed into the night Maen left the town she had spent months in. The poet in her appreciated the irony. She who had most railed against limits on gods for the sake of humanity, now had been limited to a human by her own madness.

"But nothing is forever."

She cast aside her flesh, and took to the heavens again, the only thing Fairwood would hear would be a vague delighted laughter.

As she took off she heard the voice of Ignatz. She answered back."I enjoy your work as well. Though know that I am never tied down. Gladly will I work together with you, but for now, let me revel in the joy of divinity!"

]Maen will turn the insane humans in Fairwood into werewolves. They'd have regeneration, great strength, shapeshifting ability between man, wolf and wolfman. Their only sustenance is human flesh however, and on the full moon, they get really hungry. They will also always be mad, even if they weren't before they transformed. Humans that eat the flesh of werewolves, either through free will, force or trickery will also become werewolves. Non-human races are not favored prey, nor can they change into werewolves. They do not have a weakness to silver, but they can be entranced by singing. They are to leave the Oracles along though.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 4, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - the heavens

Maen remained in the heavens for a while, grinning as she was aware of old creatures awakening, laughing merrily. Such lovely chaos would come from this. She considered introducing herself, but no, more fun to just see where this was going.

No, her mind was settled on other things. Kind things. She had indulged in her more vicious sides. And while she had enjoyed it, it was not for her to lose herself completely in cruelty. No, after the punishments, it would be time to be kind and reward.

She looked down at the world, trying to find the place where romantic love was given the grandest admiration and respect. Where bold romantic gestures for the sake of love were not simply accepted but expected. A place where even those who hadn't found love read about it, and eagerly wished for it. Today, the Mother of Madness would go where she was welcome.

Looking for the place where romantic love is held in high regard, preferably with poets and songs tied to it, but love is the most important one. And also what any problems that people might have.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Isle of Freebooters - Silvermane

Man smiled. In some ways, it stood to reason. Law and order were often the cage in which love died, so those who spurned their mailed fist would be those who most embraced love's call. She smiled on them, and thought what blessing to give them. And then she knew.

That night, each pair of lovers that slept in the town of Silvermane would have a dream. In it, the lovers would walk past the ocean, the crescent moon high in the sky, mirrored in the calm waters. Then the reflection of the moon would move, and a vision of Maen would emerge out of the water. She'd be dressed and smiling with approval at the couple. Then, they would hear her message. Each one of them exactly the same.

"I am Maen, patron of Lovers and Artists, Queen of Madness and Chaos, Lady of the Moon. And the Freebooters Isles please me greatly. And your loves are a great example of why you are treasured in my eyes. And so, the Isles of Freebooters will gain a boon from me. Those with you with love in your heart, willing to dedicate their lives to spreading my word will find themselves blessed."

She'd raise her hand, and the waters suddenly sprung to live, flooding forward, as if to crush the dreaming lovers. But as soon as they make a reflexive gesture the waters would split and part around them, the waters lapping only at their feet. From it the water would rise up to rise up as if to both caress the lovers and to protect them.

"The sea is closely bound to the Moon, to me. And that is only right." Maen would continue. "Like love, like me, it can at times be kind and nurturing, yet turn violent and ruinous at a whim. But who would wish to live without it? Let those who seek to serve love's cause fully adorn themselves with silver, if only a coin. As long as they have someone they love, and they serve both love's cause and are part of the moon-blessed isles of Freebooters, they will be granted the gift to calm or rouse the waves. The waters will not claim their lives and guide you home to your love. But remember, if love leaves your heart, then until you can regain its favour, so too will the power leave you."

She sunk deeper in the waves again. "Now wake, and know that a goddess smiles on your isles."

Creating an order of Water Priests in Silvermane, and spreading the message through the dream. The idea is that this should spread all over the ISles of Freebotters, but it is limited to those affiliated with them (even if they're far away from those isles) These Water Priests would know some handy magics for pirates and fishermen. Get the waves more stormy in a certain direction to slow prey or pursuers. calm the waters for some good fishing, prevent yourself and others from drowning and those with high dedication and experience could actually cause huge fists of water to obey their will. If a priest ever loses his love, he loses his power, though if he loves again, the same person or another, he will regain them exactly as powerful as before. Not going to punish for a thing they cannot help. They'd be expected mainly to advance the cause of love, making sure the pirates do not seperate lovers, assisting eloping couples with their grand escape, taking love poems from one to another, etc. Aiding the other domains is appreciated, but not required.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Oceans

Maen smiled benevolently as the priests were there. They would strengthen the freebooters in time as well, but for now seeing the priests and priestesses work was enough to soften her countenance, and make her aspect kinder and warmer.

She didn't pay the wars breaking out too much heed at this moment. The sea had drawn her interest. And so, she looked under the waves, seeking which beings lived there, which civilizations had risen under the waves.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen, The Sea, Goh fu'di

As the Darkness threatens to envelop the Goh fu'di, they find a ray of moonlight piercing the darkness, trying to banish away said darkness. Amron would hear a laughter on the breeze.

"Well now, aren't you being greedy, oh three that are one? Already you've got your pet dark lord and an undead empire, and you seek to turn these people merry little tune into a Requiem?" she grinned. "I won't allow it, Amron. Go find another people to transform... or test me, and see what I'll do." She gave a grin. "You know I don't make idle threats."

Before I officially block, giving Amron the chance to back off

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Sea

The Chaos goddess gave a pleased smile at the reaction. "We'll see what this becomes, Amron. Had I thought you enemy, no warning would be given. For now, I am satisfied with observing. There are other matters to tend to."

And with those words, Maen sunk beneath the waves once more. For there, she had heard something that had caught her interest. There was of course the mad creature bound there. But for now, madness and chaos hardly seemed to need more encouragement. Neither were the Sea Trolls of immediate interest. No, the sea mammals instead caught her attention, their songs catching her attention. Often, they were sung to try to attract the attention of one to love. As a goddess, she could hear it, but others couldn't.

She would hope to change that. She reached for a most beautiful shell, and placed it to her lips. The song she played could not be heard by any surface creature, but it would sound beautiful to the whales and dolphins.

"Greetings singers of underwater songs. I am Maen. I am a goddess from far above, yet your songs have lured me down here. I wish for your beautiful songs to be heard by those above, if they come down here. Let me teach you, singers."

"And know I will safeguard your beautiful song. Those surfacers who hunt you, will feel my anger. But I hope that you will be kind to those who travel your waves in peace."

Spreading the knowledge to sing in such a way that people that are underwater can understand them. When they'll communicate, it'll always be in beautiful song. Curse coming later.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Seas

She remained in the sea for now, silent, simply enjoying the songs as they spread, ignoring all that went on above the surface. There was a false note however, as the insane presence was loosed. Still, the Goddess of Chaos was never one to dislike some discord. Truly, she barely needed to do anything to advance chaos in the world. She'd simply let things move as they would.

There was but one thing. She knew many mortals on the surface hunt these creatures, and now that they were friendly, some of them might decide they were easy prey. Still, her aspect was kind, right now, so she would provide a warning.

And that month, each men or woman that was involved in hunting whales or dolphins had a recurring nightmare. A vivid vision where they were hunting whales and dolphins. And then, once one of them had harmed it, its blood would pour like an endless fountain. Until the sea itself was the color of blood, and the moon overhead turned red as well. The seas turned violent, smashing the ship they were on, turning into a maw. And as the sea devoured them, they'd hear their own voices screaming endlessly. Only when the jaws shut, would they wake up, a scream still on their lips.

After a month, the dreams would stop. They were not the curse. They were the warning.

Spending Influence to give everyone who's involved in whaling/hunting dolphins some really bad nighmares. All of them exactly the same so people know they didn't just eat some bad fish the night before and the story spreads. Ending my turn there. Next turn, we'll see if there's many people who decided they'd totally ignore that warning.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Oceans

One year.

One year the mercurial goddess had waited. Each blood of whale and dolphin blood, each silenced song, each insult to her meticulously tracked in her feverish mind. Some might have repented, some might only have heard of the rumour after they made themselves the target of her wrath. Even those who had knowingly cooked eaten the flesh of dolphins and whales. She was implacable.

She even used Platonis' calendar to measure it. One year. Exactly. And then, she whispered in the moon's ear, whispered her a song to sing. A song of madness and doom. A song that called one to the waves. And the mood did sing. Most could not hear it, for it was not meant for their ears, fortunate them. No, this song was for those who had sinned against her.As the moon rose, they would hear it, and they would rise from their beds, their cots, their refuge under the bridge. And deaf to all other things, they would make for the sea, paying anything to get their faster. All other things forgotten but the desire to go into the sea and meet their fate.

Only when day would break would the song fade, and their minds return to feel the exhaustion of the mad dash for the shore. Many would seek aid. Would flee back in land. Would seek cures or to do penance for their crimes. Yet each night the moon would call them again. And they would beg and fight and sneak and run to get closer to the call of the sea.

All it took was one touch with the ocean. Water from a glass wouldn't do. They had to stand in the sea. Then would the curse show its true horror. Skin would turn cold to the touch, greyish, soon to be fish-scales. As water enveloped them, arms and legs would shrink away, the legs fusing together in a fish's tail, and the arms replaced by stubby little fins. Their whole body would warp and twist in a nightmarish vision,sure to haunt the nighmares of those who watched it. Their internal organs would shift and change to make them fit for their new life under the sea. But some things wouldn't change. They would keep faces, recognizably human, an expression of horror on their face. And they would keep lungs and vocal chords.

So they could scream and scream, and scream. From the moment their change started, they would let out tormented cries. And they would swim out to sea, never to touch land again. Some of them were hunted by the dolphins and whales they once hunted. Feeding those that one day had fed them. Others, in desperation, for their minds were not given the reprieve of madness, remaining fully conscious of their state, would try to make for ships, and each time they would leap above water, like a flying fish, their mouths would let out desperate screams for aid.

Few sailors assisted them. The curse of Maen would soon be well known, and who would risk to join their fate? No, many sailors would turn away from them, considering them ill omens. Others killed them. Sometimes out of kindness, to put them out of their misery. Others, because of the last twist that Maen had given in the curse to these Screaming Fish.

They were delicious.

All right, some fuckers apparently felt Maen's warning was something to gently caress with. Everyone who hunted whales or dolphins, who knowingly cooked them or ate them will be overcome with a desire to go to the sea when the moon is out. Once they step into the sea, they are changed into Screaming Fish. Large, human sized fish with human faces that trend to jump over the sea and scream for help, especially near ships. They are delicious.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Mindscape - The Earth Warden

"So, I suppose I should at some point talk to some of you, hm? I am Maen, mistress of madness and moon, and the patron of the lovers and artists, queen of the sea and chaos. I'm not one to make oaths or binding promises or something. But if you give me and those that are with me proper respect, I might reward you. But that is not why I speak to you."

"Kwill. He currently swims in my oceans, haunted by madness. I am not without pity. Madness can ease the pain of loss. And so I intend to steer his madness towards a more soothing path. But for that, I need you to tell me about Braum. How he spoke, how he looked, how he acted."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Narne - East Norn

A woman stepped forward at the invitation, her clothes garish and dust-covered, a lute on her back. Her hair was dirty blonde and she spoke with a clear Kesk accent. "To find the Hand of Kwll? Now that sounds like a deed worthy of song. And I believe it would need a bard of absolutely surpassing skill could write an epic worthy of the tale. Now, I could sit back and wait for you to return, but honestly, none of you brutes has the culture to do justice to a proper bar brawl, let alone an epic tale." She smugly stood to receive the jeers as if they were applause. "So I guess there's no solution except me joining this expedition if I want to see this song done properly! I am Liana Milanda, from the Academy of Omette of course. Soon to be the world-famous Liana Milanda."

A man stepped forward beside her, with kind eyes and blue robes, a quarterstaff in his hand and an amulet with a dolphin and a moon at his neck. "Forgive my wife's flair. I promise you, her talents almost match her ego, so they're quite awesome indeed. I am Arman Waverunner, from Silvermane. The waves led us here, and if you wish to plunge into the depths of my Goddess' realm, I believe you will be able to make use of my assistance."

Adding some adventurers to this party, the one going after the Hand of Kwll that is. An Omette bard who can play bewitching music, and a powerful Water Priest.

No PM sent, because I want to talk to IAC first of what possibilities are, since this is no straight up and down 'influence a town'

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 27, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Kesk -University of Omette, VS Mimsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p603kQ57hzE

The trees started to speak of knowledge, yet some would suddenly break their recital. Dry facts suddenly exchanged for low melodious humming, or profound poetry that resonated through the woods. Students would come there and sing along with the trees, or listen to their relaxing poetry under the sweet moonlight. The madness, or perhaps the inspiration would start to spread through them.

I oppose the action at Omette, and will try to twist it. Rather than spreading knowledge and organizing, the trees are going to join in the arts, singing treesongs and reciting poetry.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Mindscape to Mimsy

"Your trees are still very welcome. They'll simply be changed somewhat. Though you should perhaps save your strength, if you're going to fight the dead, hm? Elves against undead. Two rising forces, clashing. The bards will sing epics on it."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The Sunken Freebooter Isles

Maen looked with consternation as all this happened. "These pretenders." She said with a harsh voice. "This is our world. Our mortals. To protect and to torment. To inspire and to educate. To curse and to bless. What are these things lesser than us that would spoil our works, through their life or their death?" She remained unmoved by the deaths of thousands of mortals. But then the Isles of the Freebooters were swallowed by the waves, and she shook her head. "No! Those favoured by Maen shall not die by the ocean's embrace!"

And she made a demand of the waters, and the waters obeyed. And so, even as each freebooter, fisherman, man child or woman from the Freebooter isles, swallowed by the waves opened their mouths and let the waters flood in their lungs in a last fatal attempt to gain air, they would find this brought not death, but new life. The transformation would likely frighten them, with the curse of the Fish Men still fresh in their memory. But even as they grew gills and their skin turned to emerald scales, their limbs remained mostly the same, simply growing webs between fingers and toes to better survive under the sea. They were no longer human, it was true. They were merfolk. Always these people had lived close to the sea, now they would call it home forever. They could be on land for brief sojourns, but never too long. The whales and dolphins would soon find that new songs would join their dirges, though confused and still lessened.

Use Influence to save everyone on the Freebooter isles and turn them into Merfolk. They can function perfectly underwater, speaking and using tools, but they can only remain above water for hours at a time.

Maen - The Moon

That said, Maen returned to her first home, on the distant cold moon, where she encountered another figure. "Ah, the one that sought entrance to this world." Her eyes were stormy though. "Know that you stand on my domain, and what transpired here has made my mood most sour. Tell me then, what are you, and what do you seek?"

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Moon

"Go then, Ignatz. And do not darken the moon with your presence again." Maen said with not a jot of compassion. "The pain of guilt shall be punishment for your foolishness, and I see no need to punish you more for that. But you have struck down that pretender, knowing what that did with the first one, and you did it on my beloved moon, while I was speaking to her. I will not lightly forget that slight. And for that, suffering will be added to you and yours."

Edited after retconning

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 28, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Nothing happened here

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 28, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen-The Moon

"So, they sing your praises now, Ignatz. They sing them, for you return a small particle of what your foolishness brought to them. Do you hear them praise you, Ignatz? Does every heartful, thankful prayer remind you of your folly? Rest assured, I will put an end to them. What I shall do is no retribution for the destruction of the Morningstar or the consequences itself. No, I see you are doing a satisfactory job being your own judge and warden in that punishment. No, now, I shall repay you for the insult you have given to me. To come into my home, and kill those I am speaking with."

"In ignorance do they praise you, not having witnessed the truth. Well, the moon was a witness, and this night, the moonlight shall not solely bring madness, but illumination and knowledge. Not in Platonis' dull ways, but in seering art that will last the ages. Stop me, Ignatz, and you but compound the insult, and I will strike back harder next time."

Omette - Kesk

Among the artists that worked there, one received a bout of inspiration as he walked in the moonlight. From then on, he worked tirelessly on a painting. It was the greatest work he'd ever produced, or would ever produce. A painting depicting an emaciated man, covering his eyes with one hand, sending a stream of flame towards a female figure, surrounded by children. It seemed... very real. And its name was 'Ignatz dooms the world's children'

Karnn - Baron Kar-Nor's lands

While there were not quite that many artists here as in Omette, a land so favoured by the moon could not be completely bereft of them. A poet, known for her otherwise romantic odes, found inspiration in the moonlight. But her next poem was a heart rending denouncement, speaking of the pain of dead parents, and describing the rash actions on the moon which caused it. And the guilty party was named in the title. 'Ignatz'

Sunk Silvermane - Sunken Freebooter Isles

Even below the waves the moonlight reached. And a merman who went to take a wistful look at the sky found himself struck with inspiration. While they had been saved from drowning, Morningstar's death curse did take effect. A mourning song spread under the waves, spreading through the seas. Speaking of the pain caused by a god's rash foolishness. Even under the water Ignatz name might be heard.

Kratz - Bakhan

Here Maen took a special bit of attention. All the previous areas had been from centers where she was held in high esteem. But never had she given Kratz, or even Bakhan more than a passing glance. Now, an orator found himself inspired. Receiving a vision of what had transpired, he spoke to the people in fulminating, scathing speech, using artful, if somewhat bombastic denouncements, marking Ignatz by name as the worst entity in the world.

Use Influence in these four areas to use artful ways to get the message through that Ignatz is responsible for the children's death, through rashness and ignorance. Call him out by name for it.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 31, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - The moon

"Must I care what you would rather do then, Ignatz? Did you care for my wishes when you committed acts that could very well have destroyed the moon. Could have destroyed me?" She said, some anger in her eyes, but the other god's humility cooled her wrath.

"But we worked together once, on Omette's academy. And for that, I am inclined to show mercy. But here is the condition, Ignatz. Your name will be scoured from the artwork. But only if you assist in spreading the message. Four cities have I spread it to. Four other cities will you spread the tale. They will not know your name, but they will know your fool's act. Do this, and I shall consider my point well made."

offering Mr Fowl a deal. We'll take out the name, though still clearly referring to him as The Idiot God, etc. But then Ignatz himself has to actively back it.

Also, it occurs to me I've never actually confirmed that I do claim Curses as a Domain

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 1, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

misunderstanding. I meant to confirm I claim curses as domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Maen - Moon

"Very well then Ignatz. Then strike with inspiration, and through art, bestow knowledge. You have a year and a day to do this."

Over the many places Maen had inspired, artists suddenly found that part of their masterpiece had escaped their minds. Oh, they knew every word, every note and ever brushstroke. But that one name... it was maddening. One night they knew it, and the next they had forgotten it. So, the artwork referred to 'The Idiot God' or 'the Blind God' and the artists remained ever frustrated and dissatisfied of the work which was... not quite what they originally thought.

Modifying my plan to remove Ignatz names from the artworks

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread