Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

Platonis watches the world for some time. This world is good, but with a little tweak here and there it could be better. He notices the artificers of Tik Tok tower. They are doing good work, but they do not get the respect they deserve. That must be fixed, their inventions should spread across the land and encourage others. Good rulers should embrace these new inventions to make their kingdoms more perfect. Also, they should give praise to Platonis for their inspiration, that is only right. A light touch is best. He will tend to this world like a garden. So he must plant seeds. Then he will pull the weeds.

1. Sending the design for a printing press to Tik Tok tower.
2. Sending a vision of Platonis to Tik Tok tower so they will begin worshiping him.
3. Encouraging the King of Beld to honor the craftsmen of Tik Tok and give them greater respect.
4. Inspiring a shipwright in Two-Bit to innovate on ship design so they can sail further and faster, encouraging trade and the spreading of ideas.

As Platonis works his influence on the people of Beld, he senses that his works will give power to a few other gods. If that is true, then it is good and right. There is room for trade, and art, and industry in his new world. Perhaps those Gods will work together with him to create a more perfect creation against less desirable influences.

In particular Gohdog is a welcome addition to this world. A perfect world will have cheer, and peace, and luck, and travel, and prosperity. All those things go hand in hand with the masterwork. One could say they are the Destination, while Platonis is the Holy Journey. And Amrom is like the other side of the same coin. Platonis desires societal perfection, while Amrom looks to individual perfection. He believes that the three Gods can someday form a Triad, a good Pantheon for people to worship together.

quote:

Platonis – God of Invention, Law, Education, and Perfection

Platonis is an arrogant and serious god who spends his time optimizing his many inventions. He takes his duties very seriously and sees the world as yet another creation to be eternally improved. He sympathizes with intelligent species who remake their environment and cares nothing for static nature lovers who have given up the search for perfection for the world as it is. He often becomes frustrated with other Gods who thwart his grand vision, but he is rarely outright aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

Ah Mimsy! You know I have nothing but respect for Lore, and nothing would be possible without the foundation of Nature. I admit that the Traders are less than perfect. They should be educated on how to work peacefully with their elven neighbors. What you're trying to do there seems a bit... violent. I'm afraid if you do not relent on this surprisingly rash action I'll have to try and protect these people as much as I can.

Spending Power to block Mimsy's city destruction unless it's withdrawn.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

I simply wish us to guide these poor, wretched, less enlightened individuals. They should have a proper respect for nature, but they cannot have that if they are all dead. If you were to make the punishment less severe, tell them why they were punished, and how they can avoid it in the future, then I will support it completely. We should show this world a better way, not rip it asunder with our anger!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis surveyed his world. Things may not have gone exactly as he planned, but all in all they went pretty well. If anything he had underestimated the mortal's ingenuity. The printing press was an immediate hit, when he had not expected them to instnatly see the value. And pirates would force the world to adapt at great speed. Some disturbing things were happening at the university, but he would deal with that later. Yes, all was going well, and he felt no need to exert his power again this year.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
As the year comes to an end, Platonis makes a point of calling the first Conclave of Gods. He invites them to his personal heaven, modified (his heaven is very modifiable) so that each God will have a suitable space to inhabit. Some are personally distasteful, but there are rules to being the perfect host, and those rules must be followed. Even Ignatz has a small, dark, corner where he can huddle, if he chooses to attend.

Platonis address his fellow gods, those who chose to come see him gesture in a classic oratory style, other gods still hear his voice in their own heavens:

"My fellow divinities, I have invited you here so we can mingle and plan for the future of our new world. I'm sure we can have a much greater impact on existence if we work together instead of butting heads. I know I myself can be blamed for coming into conflict with a fellow god, but we have put that unpleasantness behind us and plan to work together peacefully in the future."

"To begin our discussions, I have a proposal. I have noticed that many of you have manifested in some way, choosing prophets to speak your will. Some have come in dreams... some have decided to appear in less subtle ways."

"I propose a better way. Thanks to my efforts, the Printing Press has been invented in this world. But thus far the humans have only their own inadequate words to imprint on paper. I would give them new words, better words, holy words. Each one of you who supports this plan will get to write their own chapter of the Great Book. There you can identify yourself, express yourself, and tell the mortals the proper way to live."

"I want you each to support the book, in an organized fashion so we don't interfere with each other. Here's what I think you should do:

Mimsy: I can already anticipate your protest. If this book is printed and spread far and wide, it will mean the death of many trees. So your contribution will be solving this problem for us. I want you to create an enchanted forest, which will willingly and sustainably produce perfect sheets of paper to be crafted into the holy books.

Cipher: You can instill thoughts and dreams of the book in the far corners of the earth. So it is a mystery talked about in whispers, welcomed as holy when it finally comes.

Amrom: I want you to hurry the production so that the books can be printed on a massive scale.

Maen: I want you to do some art imbued with holy power, so all who look upon it know that it is the TRUTH given by the GODs. It's NOT ok to make everyone who looks upon the art completely mad. I will sample the art with a few mortals first and remove it if that happens. It can inflame the senses and inspire love, but NO COMPLETE INSANITY! Ok?

Godhog my friend: I want you to ease the spread of the book. Bless it, so that it will travel far and wide, and people will accept the book into their homes with grace, cheer, and hospitality.

Meroth: I want you to instill fear in any who dare disrespect the Gods and their holy book. Those who reject our message deserve no mercy.

Ignatz. IGNATZ! Is he even listening to me? Ignatz: I want you to do nothing, ok? If you do nothing with this book I will promise to just leave your section blank. Just nothing but nice, clean, blank pages. Ok? If you try to stop it, you will lose. And then I'm going to write an encyclopedic entry describing exactly who you are!

Each God will get a chapter. I will write the introduction. If you don't participate, I will include you in the book, but it will be a nice little completely accurate description written by me. I will spend a great deal of my holy energies to forge the great Printing Plates and Printing Press that will make the book, and to aid its spread with Godhog. I will also reserve a large amount of power to protect this effort from any wrongheaded individuals" he gives the dark corner a long look.

"Are there any other proposals?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Vulin posted:

Meroth - Platonis' crib

Meroth accepted Platonis' invitation and came to the conclave. The setback in the barony still angered him, but he would have his own vengeance soon enough.

Meroth listened to the proposal of a holy book about the himself and his siblings. After hearing Platonis out, Meroth stepped forward and started to speak. "Dear brother, please do tell me, but why should we go along with this? Most of us do not stand to gain anything from it."

"More importantly, it will hurt some of us. You propose that Mimsy encourages the greed of man and give them a forest they could endlessly exploit. Not to speak of all the other printing presses, your first gift to the mortals, that will lead to the death of countless trees. Perhaps the elves would lose even more land as a result of this."

Platonis

"Then there is poor Cipher. If the mortals would know everything about us how many mysteries will be left? No more legends or prophecies if everything is laid out in front of them already."

"Of course I also don't want to forget to mention Ignatz. Your arrogant behavior and direct threats towards him are not only an insult to him, but to us all. It is clear that you want to use us to your own ends. Your actions are clear proof for this."

"So my own proposal is that you should be punished for your arrogance. All traces of those printing presses should be destroyed and Tik-Tok Towers together with it."

"Why would you go along with this Meroth? You really believe you have nothing to gain? Did you have nothing to gain when you delivered the message of your wrath to East Norn? If you help, your words will be in your chapter, not mine. Words to strike terror into man. Words to encourage his hatred. And it's not like the tast I ask of you would not aid your domain. I'm basically asking you to keep doing what you've been doing before, just mention a Book they must obey to appease the gods, with all the fire and brimstone. And Cipher. Cipher, imagine what you could put in your portion of the book! The mysteries, the prophecies, the turns of phrase that people will puzzle over for thousands of years! With the aid of your fellow gods the book will spread across the world, but your chapter will be studied the most. They will know that the book is the work of the gods, so every word will be important, meaningful, and full of mystery. Finding the truth behind a single passage of your chapter could be a lifeling quest! Mimsy would not be encouraging greed, but a holy work! By growing a forest that can never be cut down, and only giving its pages to the creation of one great book, she will make people see nature itself as sacred. They will grow near by a wild and enchanted forest, and they will love and respect other lesser forests like it. The forest could even be tended only by Elves, implying that they are the closest people to the gods, and the most trusted species. I will not quibble with the specifics. Ignatz... well hopefully Ignatz isn't listening."

Platonis smiles at Maen's acceptance, "thank you. Perhaps you are right that we cannot all work together. I would like to try first. Perhaps I am just an idealist. I do not like madness, but I can accept it occasionally for the sake of great art. I do not pretend to understand how you think, but is not Art and Madness more special in a world where it is a rare gift? Is not the moon more beautiful for appearing only in the shadow of the sun? I can even work with Ignatz, if his doubt were directed towards making people less sure and thus more cunning, and his lies were whispered to facilitate a good society, and his fire was contained to heat homes. Perhaps we must someday clash, but a perfect world contains many things... in moderation."

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis, gesturing broadly on the speaker's pulpit.

"Then why choose a prophet?... Here, have an apple," Platonis lazily throws the pig-god a Pear Apple as he speaks, a delicacy that does not yet exist in this world, but should. If he is frustrated he doesn't show it. He seems confident, even arrogantly confident, that his words can sway gods, "The book will travel far and wide, and encourage others to travel with it, and share it. Hospitality can be taught. It comes from the heart, but mortals are often given to folly, and they cannot always see what is inside them until they are told where to look. A book is not dead when it has our will inside it. A book is not dead when it is discussed and celebrated by people all over the world. We may be guests still in this world, but sometimes a guest can be a blessing, for a guest can teach his host truths of the world that he does not yet know. Look at all of the hatred still in this world. Look at the war. A shared book, a shared story, and a shared ethos of hospitality will help unite them."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

The old, dignified, statue-esque god gestures towards Amrom first. "I would see that it is seen by all. There is no point to a book if it isn't read."

Then Cipher, "yes, well you will have a chapter to fill with whatever you desire. I plan on making my part of the book more understandable, and I hope to bring it into every home. But you can make the mysteries of your portion as inscrutable as you like, so that great scholars can spend their lives pondering a single phrase. Your part can be a mystery in every home. A great puzzle that stands before everyone, in easy reach but still tantalizingly impenetrable."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Conclave Closes - Platonis

Platonis can feel the new power growing inside him, no doubt the others felt the same. The time for debate was over. Now they would all act in the world again. "I believe this was fruitful. I hope all here can support my proposal and work together in the future. Perhaps we can meet again this way, next year."

With most Gods in agreement, and a new year beginning, Platonis begins work on the book. As promised, he writes the introduction and first chapter.

In his introduction he explains quite clearly the concept of divine domains and the re-emergence of the Gods. He explains that each God has an area of interest, and that they benefit by shaping the world to better fit their tastes. He gives a brief listing of each god, except Ignatz, if Ignatz doesn’t give them trouble, and his understanding of their domains. He encourages people to choose at least one god to give special attention, but to honor all the gods throughout the year with special events, according to a calendar he has provided (even Maen might be content with this, her holy days coincide perfectly with the lunar cycle). The calendar honors all gods (except Ignatz) but Platonis has the most holy days for worship, and it’s implied that he is the god of choice for Rulers and the State.

He breaks his section of the book into three distinct parts. He introduces the idea of the Social Contract. Rulers and laws should be obeyed absolutely. But those laws should bind everyone equally, even the lawmakers. Natural laws, called Rights, exist. They include the right to Education and Self-Improvement. Any Just Ruler will use his station to provide these rights. If he does so he will be working under Platonis’ blessing.

Then he introduces the Scientific Method, the process of using observation, experiment, peer-review, and refinement, to understand the world in an orderly fashion and share that understanding.

Finally, as a gift to all people he gives explanations, diagrams, and designs for jumping-board inventions like the steam engine, replaceable parts, electricity, and automatons (that one might be a little advanced). He hints, not very subtly, that these inventions are far from perfect. He gives the sentient races of the world the holy task of finding the numerous applications for these things, refining them, and unlocking the ideas within them to create greater and greater inventions for the betterment of everyone.

His language is dry, explanatory, and absolutely clear. This chapter is obviously to his benefit, but every god is no doubt planning this, and there’s no way to sneak passages in without the other Gods noticing.

Once he collects the writings of the Gods, Platonis will imprint them on the Holy Plates, instilled with obvious divine power, and give them to the largest Printing Press in the world (probably in Tik Tok).

He's so interested in his own project, running the language through many drafts and refining it to perfection, that he barely notices what happens in seaside. He is too busy in his workshop. When he focuses his divine eye on it, he is saddened. Godheg will be upset, and a perfect world would not be marred by such storms. But this obvious provocation was the Pig's problem. He rejected an offer of alliance, preferring to wander without purpose. Let him wander alone.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis Key OOC Influence Actions bundled into the book post:
1. He encourages people to choose at least one god to give special attention, but to honor all the gods throughout the year with special events, according to a calendar he has provided (even Maen might be content with this, her holy days coincide perfectly with the lunar cycle). The calendar honors all gods (except Ignatz) but Platonis has the most holy days for worship, and it’s implied that he is the god of choice for Rulers and the State.

2. He introduces the idea of the Social Contract. Rulers and laws should be obeyed absolutely. But those laws should bind everyone equally, even the lawmakers.

3. Then he introduces the Scientific Method, the process of using observation, experiment, peer-review, and refinement, to understand the world in an orderly fashion and share that understanding.

4. Finally, as a gift to all people he gives explanations, diagrams, and designs for jumping-board inventions.
He gives the sentient races of the world the holy task of finding the numerous applications for these things, refining them, and unlocking the ideas within them to create greater and greater inventions for the betterment of everyone.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

How dare you Ignatz! HOW DARE YOU! His heavens roiling with righteous anger at his name being besmirched Platonis tries to block the hated God who intruded on his great work with his right hand. With his left, Platonis strikes back, clearing the hated ignorance from the minds of the poor people of Omette.

Platonis is blocking Ignatz attempt to burn the Great Library of the Academy!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

Seeing Amrom's peculiar aid, Platonis considers the merits of necromancy. He hadn't truly considered it, but the ability to live forever and pass on knowledge indefinitely would easily fit into his perfect world. And a handy unskilled labor force would free up sentient beings to focus on invention. Ignatz obvious opposition to it was also a plus.

Deciding to hasten his plans slightly, Platonis takes this opportunity to inspire discredited hard scientists and necromancers from Omette university to found a new college, dedicated to teaching and studying the material world in an orderly fashion. They will, of course, found their school in Beld near the new fount of knowledge that is Tik Tok Tower. Their arrival will coincide perfectly with the introduction of the Scientific Method. He will further encourage some of the most talented and enthusiastic of the newly fledged necromancers in Tik Tok to study there and exchange knowledge with the exiled instructors.

Platonis founds the Platonic Academy in Beld, a school focused on hard practical science and applied magic.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis in his workshop

Platonis, his ire still up from Ignatz' interference, wanders about his workshop. Shelf upon shelf of designs, each one brilliant and world changing, stretch on into infinity. Most will never be introduced to mortal kind. Too perfect, and Platonis wanted to share the joy of invention and improvement with the people below. Simply being handed perfection is not as beautiful as obtaining it yourself. He considers the proposal.

"I suppose it would be best to end this foolish war quickly, and to perfect warfare, so it is quicker and more clean. Yes, I can gift them with one of my inventions..." he digs through a meticulously organized cabinet, "No, no, they wouldn't understand this.... battle robots? I don't think they have circuitry yet. Ah! I know what I'll do! Cannons! The design will be easily reproducible and applicable to many situations. Perhaps if Amrom wishes he can create some magical golems to carry them. That will more or less mimic the technology of the battle robots without much effort."

Now... how to distribute it? It might create an imbalance of power, so Platonis decides to choose carefully. He implants the idea into one of his worshippers in Tik Tok Tower, along with a command. The master inventor will give this information to the King of Beld, and advise him on the construction of these new weapons to aid in the war against baron Kar Nor. The inventor will also teach his ideas to his apprentice, and send him off with diagrams and plans to either Bakhan or Drune (whichever one has a more lawful and perfect government in Platonis' judgement).

Sending an envoy from Tik Tok with new weapon designs to both Beld and either Bakhan or Drune

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 26, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Godheg

Ah, do you not see that wars are the result of insufficient fear on the part of the rulers who perpetrate them? If everyone has sufficiently powerful weapons, peace will be assured, for no one will choose to use them. What wars do pop up will be swift, and the people will not suffer generation upon generation as they do now. I have been asked by a brother to give a gift to mankind. I see no reason to refuse him. Now you, another brother, ask me to withdraw my gifts because the mortals are not ready for them. Perhaps you are right, but you refused my requests when I asked a simple favor, so I am less inclined to accommodate you now. A token of goodwill, and my opinion may change.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis in his workshop

"Yes, this is unfortunate. But I know the true perpetrator, and it is not someone this man is capable of destroying. The loss of the old books is a tragedy, but more books can be printed, better books. The perpetrators are victims too, however, victims of Ignatz' vile lies. The man prays for both vengeance and wisdom. In this case, the two are opposed. Wisdom would tell him to find a new life, write some new books, and tell everyone of this tragedy so it never happens again. Vengeance tells him to kill the tools of a mad god, because he cannot strike at the god himself. Dealing with Ignatz is a matter for the Gods. His vengeance will be my vengeance... as soon as I finish this new design! See these components? Isn't it brilliant! It's all about getting the metallurgy right! I may need to improve mining techniques first though...."

Filing away the need to deal with Ignatz for later, Platonis turns his eye to Dwarfhold. Looking for a concise encyclopedic entry on their society with a focus on the technology they currently employ

Curious now at what the mortals are up to, Platonis glances at the other nations on his favored continent. The Empire of Marek and Volk are both areas of general interest.

Platonis will probably spend the rest of the year tinkering with inventions and looking idly at the mortal world.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis, focused on the intricate master-workmanship of a dwarven blacksmith

"Menacing spikes of emerald? Really? I would never have used such a material for that. How fascinating mortals are... What in the world are they doing up there!? So Maen draws blood on such small provocation. Not even to protect herself, really. Seems a little rude. But then again, the pig has been quite rude lately to everyone. It does not pay to insult a god, you cannot expect everyone to have my perfect patience and self control. I believe I will let the children have their squabble... why are those strange men carving little pictures of slime monsters devouring dwarven children in the nursery?"

Doing nothing! Watching stuff in the mortal world until next year unless I'm directly bothered by something

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Mimsy

This is a good story. Perhaps you're right. I have been focused on telling the people of our coming, so we might be properly worshiped, and with growing a small Utopia to serve as an example to others. But I would like to see my gifts used by all peoples. I fear the elves would reject my current designs, but ingenuity takes many forms, and there are many paths to perfection. If you are asking me to help your chosen people, then I shall. It is simply polite to indulge a sibling when what they ask is small. Give me some time, this invention has more parameters than most, I must tinker... Next year we can take a step forward, together, into a more perfect world!

Platonis by way of playing with his toys and drawing schematics, accepts a tentative offer of peace and partnership!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Having watched the Dwarves for some time, Platonis found much to admire about these good folk. They had built a strong and ancient technology, with magnificent inventions. Realizing that he has been too focused on Tik Tok and the endeavors there, and with his latest Great Work finished, Platonis decides to give three blessings to the Dwarven people.

His first miracle is a blessing for the faithful. To the most inventive of the Dwarves, the most innovative clockwork engineers, and to the King and the Lords, he gives a beautiful dream. He is pleased by their society. Those who seek out his book and worship faithfully will be given divine inspiration. This time Platonis does not give a plan or a schematic. Instead his power will work on the faithful directly. They will become smarter, more creative, more perfect.

For his second miracle Platonis uses their mercantile and opportunistic instincts to free them from some fear. He instills the idea in the more ambitious merchant houses that new, useful, ideas from foreign lands can be just as important as goods and treasures. They should learn what they can from the outside world, send representatives to the nearby university and Tik Tok Tower perhaps, and then incorporate those ideas to gain an advantage over the more traditionalist houses.

For his third miracle, Platonis gives the Dwarves new tools. Clockwork machines that can automate most of their work using waterwheels or the new steam engines, freeing them up to spend more time inventing and improving their designs! Great drills that will make mining easier and safer! A communication system using simple copper wires, so leaders can keep in constant contact with subordinates!

Platonis encourages his worship in the DwarfHold, and makes worshippers super-smart! He also influences them to go outside and share knowledge with the world and he introduces the idea of automation!

Finished with the Dwarves, for now, Platonis remembers a promise he made to Mimsy. The Lore god was becoming strangely violent and bitter. He could almost see her essence slowly merging with Vulin, their natures overlapping more and more. It worries him, but he already planned his gifts for the Elves. They would not find perfection and invention in dead things. It was not in their nature to admire objects. But he could see, in the subtle re-shaping of their forest homes. In the mixing of sacred herbs, in the tending of great gardens, that the Elves had a different kind of invention. A different kind of perfection.

Platonis reaches deep into the building blocks of the world. With a vision of himself and Mimsy, two gods of knowledge, standing together, he shows the great Elven druids a mighty secret. He shows them how, through their lore and their magic, they can change the building blocks of life, alter the design of Life Itself. This power can only be used by the wisest Loremasters, and it can only be fully understood and mastered with the principals of science. But with it new species can be bred in an instant. Life itself can be refined, improved, and perfected by mere mortals.

Platonis gives the secrets of genetic engineering to the Elves!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - Various Towns, Confederacy of Merchant Princes

Platonis looks at the peaceful revolt. This was ok, but these people needed direction. "Taking care of each other" is a good idea in principal, but an idea without execution is nothing. He reaches down, speaking to them through his Books. He will inspire the people to demand a system of laws closer to the divine will of the Gods, as outlined in The Holy Book. A system of laws that expresses their vision of the world. A system of laws that applies to everyone equally and guarantees a right to education, representation, and self-actualization, without any care for money or influence. The law would be fair, strong, and absolute, backed by divine mandate.

Giving the Hippies some lawful demands instead of just peaceful anarchy.

Thinking on this matter, Platonis decides to view Beld again. The King of Beld has skirted close to tyranny before. How closely is he adhering to the divine guidance of Platonis?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis looks at the work of Ignatz - Valk

"A monastery? And now a new breed of Ents? These sublime acts of creation should be praised! Why is the mad god... Oh. The smoke makes you stupid. It will pollute the air, and the Ents can't stop it. They will trounce around the country, making everyone more complacent. Less perfect. I believe there could be more beneficial uses for this idea...

Blocking (and perhaps twisting) Ignatz' attempt to pollute the air with stupidity drugs!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 5, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Old things, best left forgotten, are being revived. Platonis sighs to himself. They are of the old world, while we are building the new. Still, it is best to start from a good place and improve, then to waste effort by starting completely from scratch. It would be best to catalog these creatures and get it over with now, to prevent future unfortunate surprises.

Platonis scans mysterious places for signs of being with great power. If he can't just scan the universe, he checks The Mysterious ??? Ruins, the Eye of Rhynne, Kwill's Hand "secret" and the Beast Realm

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis sighs at the mad god. "Fine, it is an act of creation, a refinement, and that at least I can support. So long as the... effects, impact only those who are willing. I will not have my beautiful skies covered in the smoke of intoxicants.

Power bid withdrawn

Platonis did not want to wake what is best left sleeping. But he had to know the risks. His people may unknowingly disturb this land if unwarned. So he cautiously peered at the Ruins, trying to identify the nature of whatever dwelled within.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 5, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Godheg

Look at this war. Look at this death. Look at this chaos. This is what you have wrought by forcing these people to do your work without the proper tools. If it was not for the interference of other gods, your people would have been utterly crushed, slaughtered like... pigs. Tools of killing are no different than any other tool. They can be used for good or ill, depending on the wielder. I would give every man the power to defend himself, so he cannot be bullied by these beasts our siblings have unleashed. in time, I would give a simple nation the strength to destroy these monsters of old, so they no longer need the protection of bickering gods. In time, I would give the tools of creation and destruction both, and see what they make of them.

If you do not want this tragedy to be repeated, I suggest that next time I make cannons, or rifles, or plasma launchers, or whatever other weapon I believe the people are ready to wield, you not stand in my way.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis at the Ruins

Now that he knew a part of its nature, there was no need to wake a creature of the old world. These beings were temporary tools, they would soon be utterly obsolete. But there were few things Platonis knew so little about. Others were already awake, however. They could teach him.

Platonis at Old Man Red's Mountain

"Hello Dragon. I do not want your service, but I am curious about your history, and your fellow beings of power. We gods are strong, and growing stronger by the year. I can feel it. But there is wisdom in experience. You seem to be very old, so you would know this world well. You would know the mighty beings that still lie sleeping. You do not have to answer my questions, but I would look on you with more... tolerance if you did."

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - The Platonic Academy

The Platonic academy was open! Scholars from all over the world were gathered at the base of the Great Statue of Platonis, as the master sculptures finished their work. Men, Dwarves, Elves, inventors, sorcerers, exiled academics from across the sea, all eager seekers of knowledge, beheld a miracle. A small inscription appeared at the bottom of the statue:

The worthy answer.
And the worthy are answered.

As the first ray of sunlight touched the statue the next morning, the few onlookers were shocked to hear a booming, scholarly, gentle, perfect, voice come from the statue.

"How could a man, without magic or miracles, bring a new fruit into this world?"

A new-come Elf, wise in the new ways of genetics, pondered the question. She took a long time to answer, but when she did the statue responded:

"Correct, now ask and be answered."

The statue continued like this, asking difficult, leading, questions, just beyond the current understanding of the Academy. Most of the questions addressed the new ideas of science, some led to an understanding of genetics, some were related to perfecting and improving everyday objects. A few were about morality, and society. Some questions took hours to answer. Some took weeks. Whoever answered was rewarded with an answer of their own, straight from the wise God.

That statue was not a copy of Platonis, but it was a safe link to him. When the questions were dangerous, when they were not ready for the answer, he answered truthfully but in a way the mortal could not fully grasp.

Making the Question Statue at the Platonic Academy. It educates people by asking leading questions, and then rewarding whoever answers correctly first with even more knowledge

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis looks on his creation. His mind was too great to put into a simple statue, it could not contain his brilliance. So he refined his original plan, perfected it. It was an excellent construct. Not a direct link, but a source of great knowledge.

He was content with this, for now. He felt stronger, as if his very nature had expanded. This was good. Even a god can grow closer to perfect.

His latest gift complete, he returned to his workshop. He had plans for next year. Such brilliant plans. He kept one eye on the other gods however. He'd learned that they can be unruly and cause setbacks in his world, if they are not carefully watched.

Done with my own actions this turn. Still ready to react to stuff. Taking both new Domains.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - Quick Greeting to Earth Warden

My fellow Gods seem to have taken quite an interest in entities such as yourself. In this case I mostly agree with Cipher. I would advise caution, in general. Make an educated decision, and do not take rash actions. Mimsy is likely the God most in line with your proclivities. Cipher often prefers confusion to understanding. Meroth would like you to strike out against... well anyone. Some humans have over-used resources, but Mimsy and I are trying to teach them a more harmonious way to live. You can join in these efforts, or continue to sleep, or simply enjoy this beautiful world. I do not care, so long as you don't lash out at a changed world in ignorance.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Ignatz

You would empower a man to spread mis-information? A man who makes people less informed, whenever they hear him speak? The question of undeath, and of eternal life, is an important consideration. People should decide their position after a enormous amount of reasoned thought. They should be educated, and this persuasive fool spreads the very opposite of learning. I expect nothing less than this nonsense from you Ignatz. I would strongly advise you to return to your mountain and your men who would rather be vegetables.

Stepping in to block if Amrom removes his bid

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis hears the call of Mimsy and speaks to the Purifier

"We may be able to work together, Purifier, if you tell me your goals. I wish to make this world more perfect, primarily by channeling the creativity of good folk. I support just rulers and men of wisdom. I am slowing giving the mortals here the tools they will need to re-make their world for the better. I am constantly working to improve the lives of all. In truth, I am not pleased that the old beings of power have been awakened. Many seem petty, destructive, unreasonable. If you are different from them, if you seek to create instead of destroy, if you wish to improve yourself and this world, then you will have my support.

I'm not going to make any new actions this turn, barring major stuff I have to react to. I won't blow anyone up, unless they do something to deserve it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Magnus

Very well then, I will offer my protection and sponsorship to you on a preliminary basis. For now I ask only that you share your plans with me before enacting them. If I like them, I will give you more power. If I dislike them, I will warn you, and may eventually withdraw my protection.

If you do not have any immediate plans, I have been considering world affairs for some time, and I fear mortals do not yet have the power to defend themselves against beings such as you. There has also been a spread of fear and panic that worries me. I wonder if you have techniques you could share? An order of knights you could gather? I'm a great supporter of schools. A school that teaches defensive techniques, discipline, and good morals would be a wonderful addition to this world.

Mildly suggesting Magnus found a school for chivalry and such.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 15, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cipher asks a question, and so the gods hear. "Yes, I agree. It seems some of these newly awakened children must be chastised. They do not think about their actions. They are used to being treated as Gods, when they are merely mortals with a speck of extra power. They must be taught proper behavior, proper respect. I believe it is proper to give a verbal warning first, however. It is only right to give them the chance to reform before they are put down."

Platonis to Magnus

As the great light of Magnus fades, a disappointed and chastising presence enters the pretender's mind.

"Your very first act is to break our covenant? To spite your patron? To forgo my protection? You must think yourself very strong. Rest assured, we are Gods. You are not. Without my power, you would be dust before you even emerged. Against the likes of Meroth, you are an ant.

I would be well within my rights to let Meroth or Amrom tear you apart where you stand. You could not fight them. You could do nothing but die, mighty though you think you are. I am a creature of Law. You have disrespected me, paid no heed to the proper place of men and gods. Do not think I haven't considered it.

I do not disprove of this action. I even expressed worry about this state of affairs to you. I would have given my approval, had you asked, though I think this is an unsubtle and impermanent move, a balm for a man still trapped in an inferno. Because I understand what you did, and why, I maintain my protection. I will still treat an act against you as an attack on my person.

This is your only warning. Act without sharing your plans with me again and I will abandon you. And you will quickly find that you cannot protect anything, including yourself."

Platonis to Earth Warden

As a city is crushed beneath a Titan, a severe voice enters the Earth Warden's mind.

"For the second time this year a lesser being has agreed to a simple request. For the second time this year, a lesser being has broken its word to a God. I asked that you not strike out against a changed world. Do you not see that these buildings you crush are simply a new shape of Earth? That the people who inhabit them have as much right to their way of life as any other creature? Does not the beaver build its Dam? Does not the Hawk kill its prey? I am forgiving, but I have limits. You are reaching them. If you so much as touch another home, I will break you as easily as you broke these poor people. It is only out of respect for Mimsy that I stay my hand now."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Magnus

You helped no one. You shouted at wounded and frightened children, assuring them that their mother was back to kiss away their wounds. They needed medicine and you gave them comfort. You wasted your power, in no way making the world better, especially if you die right after your grand assurances. Still, I didn't tell you not to do what is "right". I did not even ask for veto power. I asked that you inform me first, so we could coordinate our efforts. You agreed. Are you now going back on your word?

Platonis to Earth Warden

Nature's way? You are not Nature, my dear. No more so than the people you just murdered. You are a part of it, like any other. If you have a link to it, such that your death will harm others, then this is a simple design flaw that must be corrected.

So impatient, your lot is. So eager for your own destruction. You do not understand a world where you are not the greatest inhabitants. I will do what I will, when I will it. I have plans to make.

Platonis to Mimsy

Your companion has acted foolishly. Now she dares me to destroy her. She holds this wonderful place hostage, saying that she is Nature and her death would be a blight. Nature was fine when she slumbered. I would make her sleep and never awaken. What do you say?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - Godspace

It is as I feared. They think themselves Gods, despite beholding us. I am now fully with you in this, Cipher. My initial judgement was correct. They were better left sleeping. Perhaps that is a patron's duty Meroth, but Magnus has rejected my patronage without reason soon after agreeing to it. This seems like a silly act to me, but he can do what he wills. And you or Amrom can do as you will. He has not displeased me unduly yet, though he has shown himself to be a liar. I can accept liars and heretics living in my world, so long as they don't hold back more useful individuals.

To Magnus

"Nor did I ask for a slave. I asked for a warning, nothing else. When you did not give it, I expressed disappointment and pointed out the importance of patronage and cooperation. Do you really find that an undue burden? So much that you would name me evil? Fascinating. I may have misunderstood your nature. Perhaps Maen is a better sponsor for you. Very well. Find a new Patron to ignore. I wish you well, though you are a peculiar fellow. I do not know why you threaten me and my works, when you have so much "good" to do without me. I am not your enemy, though you would make me one by responding to mild appraisals with insults. I hope you manage to gather more power and do some more permanent good later then. You have my 'simple blessing' even if you reject my aid."

The Earth Warden

There is a flare of anger, then it is overwhelmed with curiosity.... "Yes, yes, you threaten what I love, after destroying some of it already, I threaten your existence. This exchange is no longer fruitful. I had a similar conversation with Mimsy once before. She was less insufferable than you, and after rash action and initial anger, we managed to come to an understanding. Still, there is wisdom in all places. You have made me angry, but I am not a creature of anger. Educate me. What is the motivation behind your actions? My nature is not to know everything, far from it. A being who knows all is without curiosity. My nature is to be both teacher and student, and to refine all, even myself. If you wanted to explain, why did you not explain first? Why destroy without elaboration?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Mimsy

I did not take this tone with you, dear sibling, first because I respect you far more. She claims to be Nature when she is not. It upsets me. Second, we made no agreement that was later broken. This also upsets me. But you are right. A spark of anger at the wanton destruction of something created in peace, nothing more. If you still offer her protection then I will respect that. As I said, I have plans, and my first ones have already been refined past the point of violence.

Platonis withdraws from the Earth Warden's mindscape, shutting out whatever she was saying, if anything.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis – Dwarfhold
I will begin with a few gifts, then we will move on to politics. The dwarves dig deeply, looking for a prize. Well then, I will give it to them. Gold is an excellent material, but it is nothing next to knowledge. They need dig no deeper into the earth.

The gold falls away under the Dwarven miners, and they find something far greater than what they expected. A door, marked with the sign of Platonis. The door opens once uncovered, leading the explorers into a Great Vault. Within they find a treasure trove of gifts. Each one is beautiful, useful, powerful. But best of all, with enough knowledge each one is reproducible. The design comes from a god, but it they can all be copied with mortal hands.

First, they are greeted by the Guide. A construct of circuitry, electricity, a machine intelligence. The guide explains everything in the vault, and the scientific principals behind it. It lives to serve and teach whoever will listen. The Guide is built from a new alloy and equipped with an energy weapon to protect itself and others.
Then they are shown the Cornucopia Machine. This molecular factory can break down whatever is put inside to the most basic materials, then re-assemble those materials into something new. The Guide assures visitors that this miraculous device may be beyond their current understanding. But it is possible, without magic, without the intervention of a God. For now they can put it to whatever use they want. Someday they will build their own.
The third gift powers the first two. Clean, nearly boundless energy, sustained with only the tiniest source of fuel. A miniature sun, a perfect fusion reactor. It has limitless uses, the Guide will explain. Light, heat, automation. Platonis designed it and put it here, but it can be copied and built anywhere with enough understanding.

The fourth and final gift is not immediately apparent. But then the Guide puts its own design in the Cornucopia Machine. The Dwarves can make whatever they wish with the device. But first it miraculously produces enough guides to teach and protect a nation. Some stay in Dwarfhold. Some go to the Platonic Academy. Some go farther afield. The guides are smart, strong, fast, and equipped with weapons of devastating power. They will teach, and they will protect.

The Fundamental Laws of the Guides
1. The Guide will obey the will of Platonis.
2. The Guide may not injure one of the Chosen People or, through inaction, allow one of the Chosen People to come to harm, unless it will conflict with the first law.
3. The Guide will accumulate, protect, and share knowledge except where it will conflict with the first two laws.
4. The Guide will obey the orders given to it by the Chosen People, except where it would conflict with the first three laws.
5. The Guide will protect its own existence, except where it would conflict with the first three laws.

The Chosen People: Humans, Dwarves, Elves

Putting fantastic gifts in the way of the Dwarves’ inadvisable digging. The Cornucopia Machine is a molecular assembler that can produce almost anything physical, given time and materials. Think Star Trek Replicators.

The Fusion Reactor will provide abundant energy for the Dwarves to figure out how to use.

The Guides are an Army. In times of peace they will teach and serve. In times of war they will zap the ever increasing population of monsters.

Platonis - Beld
Back on the surface, Platonis takes note of the continued war between Beld and the Baron. There is an easy solution to this, but he gets the sense that Maen does not want her romance touched. And so he must walk a more difficult path.

The god peers deeply into the mind of the most troublesome king of Beld. He is trying to do right, in his fashion. But he is also a tyrant, and he has not obeyed the Social Contract perfectly. His ambition is too great, and he is too obsessed with his own importance. But these traits can be directed towards a more noble goal.

The King is struck with a sudden realization. His mind expands under the blessing of Platonis, and he can see so much that was blind to him before. Why does he struggle so bitterly over a few plots of land, when he could become the greatest Ruler ever known? Not using his soldiers, no. That was how other fools wasted their ambitions. He would use different tools. He would use cunning, and invention, and… love. With the new inventions produced each day in his land, and with the reforms outlined in the Holy Book, he could transform his nation into something everyone will admire for all time. Nations will beg to live under his rule. Where will he start? Yes, Valk, of course. They are suffering without the Merchant Princes. Their government is growing unstable. He will conquer them… with kindness. His merchant fleets will come with spectacular inventions and purchase techno-magical wonders in exchange. His government will be generous with aid. His reforms will be heralded as genius. Old hatreds will be set aside. And soon enough there will be an election… political marriages are so complicated, as are election by-laws. Who knows who can get on the ballet with enough generosity and legal maneuvering?

Making the King of Beld smarter, and showing him how his goals can be better reached through invention, reforms, generosity, and lawful maneuvers instead of violence and punishment.

Platonis to Godheg
See how, without a trading partner, the people of Valk become desperate? Beld has plenty of wealth, even if some is being squandered in a pointless war. I would channel the king of Beld’s ambition toward a more peaceful goal and show him how to become truly great. While I work from the top, will you work from the bottom? Will you help these two peoples set aside old hatreds, and become more generous towards each other?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis

Kwill? Ah yes, I have been threatened with the mad beast before. Let us see how it is.

Can I scan for Kwill's current stats?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - Narne, East Norn

Benjamin, an explorer, scholar, inventor, and statesman of some renown joins the group without preamble. He was once an ambassador to the Merchant Princes and now finds himself a refugee, quite lost and presumably unemployed. He prayed to Platonis for guidance and was shown the way with a holy light. He knows instantly that this strange group was chosen by the gods, working together, to show the world once again the strength of mortal hands and mortal minds.

After some thought, Platonis accepts the invitation of Cipher now that it's been made formally. Such an endeavor would show that the Pretenders are not so great, that any mortal, with properly applied intelligence, can have just as much of an effect. And while the journey may seem pointless when we could just give them what they need, perhaps it will be educational. The heroes can discover the strength that was within them all along.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Magnus

"Such a grudge for what amounts to a dispute in contractual terms, cancelled amicably within minutes. Regardless, I will aid you, for them. This is a dire sickness, and more widespread than you may realize. I fear a similar malady may strike again soon."

Platonis – Beld - spreading naturally from the Platonic Academy, making sure to hit Dwarfhold.

The healing Magnus performed was a boon. But Platonis quickly refined his methods into something more lasting. The people needed both knowledge and power to heal. As Magnus freed each healer, they were blessed with a spark of divine power, as much knowledge of healing as their minds would allow, and a charge: Go forth and cure this malady which taints the soul. Free others, teach them, pass on the spark. Each healer made yet more healers. As the knowledge spread, the people were freed from this curse, the taint was pushed back, and the Great Healers remained to teach, and to heal, and to stand vigil against other great maladies.

Giving the freed healers the knowledge and power they need to extend the cleanup.

The Fellowship of the King - East Norn

The touch of Platonis frees Benjamin Frank from a strange malaise. He has a spark of insight. Artifacts are important, but the journey matters more. This is a test of his knowledge and his leadership. This is proof that mortals matter, that he can make a difference using wits, teamwork, and gumption, even against entities of frightening power. Platonis doesn't give him direct guidance at all. This journey is for mortal minds and mortal hands.

Freeing my member of the Fellowship from the curse, and giving him the "guidance" of "you're a smart guy, you figure it out".

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis - Godspace

Yesterday we are awakening pretenders. Today we are hunting artifacts. Both seem rather... beneath us. We are power enough on our own. And with the unfortunate effects of the Hand of Kwll's removal, and of Kwll's death for that matter, it seems that these things are best left sleeping while we create a better world for all. Still... I am curious.

Looking for the Mantle of Deep Meaning first. Much like with Magnus, I'm looking, not touching. Trying to gather as much information as possible before making a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Platonis to Meroth

Has anyone ever told you that you give bad advice? If you want a god dead, then kill him. I have had my disputes with Ignatz. He is a broken, mad, thing. He would coddle mortals with ignorance while the world crumbles when I would give them the tools to make it better. But he at least tried to make something, which you have now destroyed. Have you ever made anything Meroth? I don't think you have. Besides, I would save my strength. I may need to kill anything that threatens the newly purified lands.

• Locked thread