Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

The #Cowboys are set to release star pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware,

Good Bye Only decent player on Cowboys defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Repeating: #Bucs will push for #Bears QB Josh McCown, CB Charles Tillman and possibly KR Devin Hester.

:smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

squarerandom posted:

Sean Lee when he's healthy? drat I'm super bummed that Ware is gone. He's been a favorite cowboy of mine for ever.

Good thing he's never healthy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Falcons Pro Bowl safety Thomas Decoud to be released by 4 pm EST, per source.

Was he bad or just making too much money. Cause the Bears could totally use a Safety or 3

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I love the complex deals inked two minutes into FA, no tampering goes on ever guys. None.

Tampering was legal this year IIRC

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

Schefter reports Raiders DE Lamarr Houston reached agreement on a five-year, $35M deal with the Chicago Bears, per league sources.

Making moves yo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

mother fucker

That's not very nice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

DJ Williams will sign a one-year deal with the #Bears.

Hooray.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lazerbeam posted:

:toot:

Any chance that Bostic will start over him this year?

Oh god no. Bostic is being moved to Strong side Linebacker(eventually Weak Side when Briggs retires)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shath Hole posted:

I've had a night to sleep on it and it still makes no loving sense to me how the loving New Orleans Saints and their $4.50 in cap space landed the top free agent. It couldn't have been any other team?! :(

Like I've always told people. If a team actually wants someone in the NFL unless they are completely hosed cap wise like the Cowboys were this year, It's not hard to find cap space if you are willing to spread that out and incur the risk of more dead money if you decide to cut someone down the line.

The Cap in the NFL is pretty much a joke, due to non-guaranteed contracts, and the ability to restructure them. Unless you are the Cowboys, and even then they are only hosed because they tried to take advantage of the uncapped year in a blatantly obvious way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jerome Agricola posted:

So, if I'm reading this Over the Cap thing correctly, after Saints cut Sproles and Thomas, they are some 7.5M under the cap. And that is before the Byrd contract and before whatever Graham is going to get paid (it does include the franchise tag) + rookie contracts.

So can anyone more versed in these things tell me how much can they backload Byrd's contract, like, what's the lowest realistic cap hit for this year? And also, who else can they cut? Rafael Bush would be worth 1.4 mil, but that would leave only two safeties on the roster. Butler for 1.5? It seems that any further cut would leave gaping holes in the roster and end up costing more than they're worth.

I would assume you can either do one of two things.

Go down to 1$ for the year with a hilarious signing bonus spread out over the rest life of the contract.

Or go down to the Vet Minimum with a slightly less hilarious signing bonus spread out over the rest of the life of the contract.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Your base salary can't be lower than the veteran minimum.

Yeah I figured it was something like that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ozu posted:

@AdamSchefter
G Chris Williams signing a four-year, $13.5 million deal that includes $5.5 million guaranteed with the Buffalo Bills.

@evansilva
New #Bills OG Chris Williams graded out as @PFF's No. 74 guard last season, among 81 qualifiers. 76th in pass pro & 53rd in run blocking.

:stare: how the gently caress does Chris Williams keep finding work. and how the gently caress is he still getting more than the vet minimum.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:allears: Lions

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

QB Josh McCown's 2yr deal in TB worth $10M with another $1M available in playtime incentives and a $3M bonus for making the playoffs. Strong

Jesus Christ Josh McCown got loving paid.

I'm happy for him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I support the McCown signing. As a guy who actually watched every Glennon snap last year I can tell you he sucks. He doesn't turn it over a lot but that's about it.

Hey it sounds like Glennon is McCown Jr. Only in Tampa he doesn't have Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Brandon Marshall to throw jump balls to. Or Checkdowns to Matt Forte.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

uno.mannschaft posted:

Really happy the Bears got out early and agressive to secure the coveted MD Jennings signature. He wasn't going to last sitting in the open market with stats like that. I hope it's just a precautionary move to secure that there are some really lovely safeties for them to cut to make up for last year.

Also lol at the "good to have some competition for Conte" sentiment. They must really be doing their job with player evaluation if they can find someone bad enough to actually compete with the Bears safeties.

Oh god. A One year deal with a low dollar amount deal is truly the end of the world.

It is truly the end times. Jettison everyone into the sun.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rooster Brooster posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Lovie really wasn't high on Glennon at all, so I'd guess this is pointing towards a real QB competition rather than any sort of mentoring/backup role. Also, he doesn't have a good track record correcting shaky O-lines so there is that.

He essentially said as much in his opening press conference.

uno.mannschaft posted:

Why don't you take your positive attitude somewhere else buddy, I demand some god drat standards here!

Oh trust me I'm just as negative as you are, I've just reached the point where it doesn't matter anymore as the Packers are going to continnue to win the division and find hall of fame QB's.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears are going to get McCowned next season.

This is a reminder that last year, Josh McCown was an assistant high school football coach and now he will likely be a starting quarterback in the NFL and also he looks like Ivan Drago.

Bring back Rex.

I'm going to crawl into a bunker for a week if the Bears lose to the Bucs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Goddamn dude

I mean honestly if you had a free agents best interests in heart wouldn't you tell them to stay away from Oakland.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Lovie is talking. We are the Bucs. Josh is Mccy.

It's just a reference to the old "Rex is our quarterback" presser back in the day.

Hahaha That is like the most Lovie Smith thing ever.

Like Lovie 101, "We Get off the bus Running" or "Rex is our Quarterback"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TBC posted:

So why did the Bucs need to clear so much cap room anyways? Would it really have been the worst thing in the world to have Revis for another year at least?

Josh McCown.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DangerKat posted:

I am curious if they would use Melton to run some more 3-4 looks or set up big bodies across the line while moving Griffen/Robison around the field.

Munnerlyn is appealing - would also be nice if they'd look into DRC.

Melton has absolutely no use to anyone in a 3-4. He is a 3 Tech DT Full Stop.

If the Vikings are switching to a 3-4 and picking up Melton then they have fuucked up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

superaielman posted:

Also, any Packer fan going full retard about Ted Thompson not overspending in free agency needs to take a deep breath and remember that he's done an excellent job in drafting Aaron Rodgers who is keeping the Packers competitive in spite of bleeding talent and an appalling amount of injuries. (Not so much here, but man the JSonline comment section is a thing to behold)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Why Eagles why goddamnit nooooo

In unrelated news, does anyone actually have a copy of freeagencyflowchart.jpg they can post

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

@vxmcclure23 reported earlier, Charles Tillman to #Bucs appears on shaky ground. Tillman believed to have left. Unsure if offer made.

:unsmith: Come Back Tillman we still love you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bears apperantly signed Willie Young to a 3 year deal, What can Lions fans tell me about him?

edit:

quote:

Willie Young agreed to a 3-year, $9M deal with #Bears that included a $2M signing bonus and $3.95M total guaranteed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tinstaach posted:

You probably remember him best for giving Josh McCown a forearm shiver last year on a 2-point conversion in the fourth quarter with the game in the balance. So, yeah, enjoy.

Shrug. At least he was close enough the quarterback to cheap shot him at the end of a play. That's an improvement.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why are the Bears signing dumb Lions DEs instead of Corey Wootton?

This is the most depressing thing :(, Wooton IIRC did have offseason surgery so maybe they are waiting to see how he rehabs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress YES

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

ESPN NFL Insider @caplannfl reports Tillman's 1-year deal worth a little under $3.5 million.

Nice Price as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I completely understand fans of the plucky, underdog Green Bay Packers getting excited about finally getting one over on the Chicago Bears.

I know, I mean it's so tragic what happened to their defense last year with all the injuries, Terrible Safties, and inability to stop a run or generate a pass rush.

Let the Packers have this moment as they are a long suffering team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think after like three years of that you'd just fire your strength and conditioning coach.

The Bears continue to do their best to ensure that Dom Capers stays employed. Seriously. Capers should probably send some money Chris Conte's way. Should probably also cut a check to the Dallas Defense as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

superaielman posted:

Give Major Wright credit as well, he hosed up on that play as well IIRC

Major Wright was literally the worst safety in the league last year.

Conte was at least good enough to visible on the screen as he was loving up. Wright hosed up on poo poo so bad that he wasn't even visible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Peppers isn't done.

He's no longer an elite Double team drawing threat.

But he's still a good football player.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

superaielman posted:

You may be right, but it's worth the contract the Packers gave him to see if he can generate some pass rush in a limited role.

E: And dexo, we've had this discussion. The Bears safeties loving sucked, the Packers safeties loving sucked, and you'll get to see MD Jennings for yourself this season! Good luck with that.

Shrug. MD Jennings essentially got a minimum deal. So He's special teamer/backup for Conte(:(, or hopefully whoever we draft)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

smuggler posted:

The Bears stuck it to themselves when the signed him originally. The Packers are not a factor in that equation. He's a semi-decent, but aging player, that they took a shot on. I very much doubt the fact that he used to play for the Bears was a consideration.

They didn't stick it to themselves.

They knew going in that unless he was putting up Madden numbers that he would never see the last years of that contract. People were literally saying when he was still a great player that the Bears would have to cut him this year.

They got 3ish years of Peppers essentially carrying an defensive line and making everyone else look better.

I would do that contract 9 out of 10 times.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DupaDupa posted:

It's actually not a bad contract! Its just the year one cap hit would have made Melton the last move the Bears could have made in FA if the reports of 7-8 million in cap space are to be believed.

Sorta. The Bears could easily make more moves. Just that doing them would add dead money to Cutler's contract after year 3. They also Cut Earl Bennett, and forced Weems to take a pay cut.

But yeah. Depending on whatever the hell the Bears are doing on Defense this year. I would have been cool with that Deal for Henry Melton.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What is this world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:stare: They gave Devin Hester a 3 year deal?

They can't be planning on using him on offense can they.

Holy loving poo poo. I love me some Hester as much as the next guy but Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

Falcons told Hester they'd figure out some creative ways to use him, so I expect to see him some on offense.

NOOO DON'T DO IT FALCONS.

• Locked thread