Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

No one has a hat as sweet as Freya's.

No one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could stick a football in my hat and have one just as awesome as Freya's.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I could stick a football in my hat and have one just as awesome as Freya's.

But would you be lacking in pants?

The answer had better be a very loud "no!" :argh:

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"

vilkacis posted:

No one.

I'll see your Freya's hat and raise you a Random Shopkeeper's Hat.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

vilkacis posted:

No one.

I think you're forgetting someone.

Although it's a great idea. Freya vs Sasarai HAT BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God drat look at this pimp.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Now, excluding Sasarai for a moment, and taking for granted Freya's hat being the greatest thing ever worn.

Is it that great on someone else? If some suicidal fool took it and tried wearing it, would it be as epic?

Let's find out.

The Genius of the Battlefield never realized that looking this good is a battle in and of itself. It hurts, suck it up.

As strong as his pimp hand is, I don't think he can pull it off.

She can't handle it.

She's mocked her boss behind Freya's back before, you can tell that she has, she's even got the 1000 yard glassy stare down.

Odin totally rocks it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I humbly request that every new enherjar we meet must have time with Freya's hat.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Valkyrie Profile is probably my favourite PSX game and one of my favourite RPGs of all time. It has its flaws, but most RPGs that aren't very conservative with their gameplay systems have their share of exploits and balance problems. I just like how different it feels from other games. One of the best parts is the stark contrast between the depressing and despair-filled story sequences and the hyper-charged platformer dungeons with Mega Man music and battles with wonderful Engrish prompts urging you to unleash over-the-top finishers on your enemies.

It certainly helps that I'm an unashamed Sakuraba fan and this game's standard battle theme is probably still my favourite of all time (and that's high praise). Really, the entire soundtrack is probably my favourite by him (though VP2's might just be his best one in many ways).

I have the art- and worldbook of the game back at my parents' place which include some interesting early designs, unused but spoilery images that might be worth posting way later and various nice stuff. If I get around to it, I could probably scan some things or track down scans for posting at various appropriate moments.

And just to prove how geeky I used to be about this game: I extracted various sounds from it to use in Starcraft and Icewind Dale 2 for fun and laughs, so I'll leave you with these new and improved versions:

quote:

I humbly request that every new enherjar we meet must have time with Freya's hat.

In case anyone is curious: The singular for einherjar is actually einherji (they don't use that in the game either, though).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Please tell me one of the voices you extracted was :byodood: "BODY and SOUL shall be TORN ASUNDER!!!" because that was my favorite line and that guy was my favorite guy.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
I'm afraid not. I selected party members mostly based on who can be reasonably represented with D&D classes, even if that meant using the character with what's probably the least amount of story (and spoken lines) in the game. And the one you want wouldn't really have fit into IWD2 (and the equipment available in it).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Soul Man

Artolia was leading quite well early on, but then Hai-Lan crept up, and then surpassed. I have to admit, I was surprised.

---

Rain really increases gif size.

He has gone on a quest to find medicine to treat my eyes...

I see.

---

Then I shall slay this Ogre!

---

No! NOOO!!!

---

Could it be? It must have been my brother!! ...My brother and I are twins.

Ah, of course. He said to give you this amulet. I've been holding it for you.

Why... here?

Well, he knew you were coming here, didn't he?

---

OST: Turn Over a New Leaf

And what will your soul project upon this dark cave?

Soul? I possess no such thing.

---

Which would your sister prefer. You dying so that she may live on, or you surviving to be by her side when she dies?

One cannot get something for nothing in this world. If it is life you seek, then it is life you must pay.

I offer you the Soul Stone, in exchange for your life.

I thought I made it clear that I shall not die today. I never had any intention of accepting your bargain.

What!?

Then I will take it by force!

'Tis a foolish demon, that seeks to deal with humans.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Is it because you value blood over all else, that you never tire of the sight of it? ...That is typical of a human soul. And now it is the soul of a demon. You and I are one!!

Music stops.

---

There are no demons here. You were merely confronting your own soul.

The Ogre was my own soul?

Humans are often misled by the truth. This whole cavern is a dark mirror, where one must confront their own soul. I understand how you feel, human. But you must understand what your warped soul has done. As twins, your life and your sister's are forever intertwined. You cannot help but influence each other's existence. So is it your sister's eyes that have become clouded...

Or is it your own soul?

My soul...? I did this... To her?

Jun actually doesn't have a voiced line in his recruitment. That said, he's voiced by Scottie Ray. While he's also a VA for Pokemon, he mostly played additional voices, his prominent role probably being Alder. He might be more recognizable as the voice of Zane Truesdale in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.

---

But what I wanted was...

I'm sure everything is fine, why do you think this?

---

So, the implication is that Lenneth let Jun give the amulet to the priest, like what she let Llewelyn do for Millia. While there's nothing left for Jun if you go back to Hai-Lan, we can visit him before his Spiritual Concentration in Hai-Lan:

Hmm... no, I don't think so.

Next time: Law and Order

Jun character artwork.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 29, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah, Jun. King of flippy bullshit normals that keep missing and almost good finishers. Unfortunately katanas suck rear end and so does he.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Jun, I like him, not the best character but pretty usable and pretty cool.

For some reason his asking people where to find that cave reminds me of Shenmue. "Do you know where Ogres hang out?"

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Jun:

I find him hard to time combos with, so I usually bench him. He just gets overshadowed by most of the other swordsman.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Poor Jun couldn't accept his Shadow and failed to obtain the power of Persona. :smith:

Seriously, though, it's a shame that we didn't get to hear any of his voice clips here, because he's got some of my favorite lines.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Poor Jun couldn't accept his Shadow and failed to obtain the power of Persona. :smith:

Seriously, though, it's a shame that we didn't get to hear any of his voice clips here, because he's got some of my favorite lines.

He even has a unique line instead of the more standard "Finishing Strike"

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Valkyrie:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

W.T. Fits posted:

I wasn't expecting someone to beat me to that joke, honestly. Then I remembered this is SA.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

He and the character we get next are tied for favourite successful PWS quotes for me. They're just so ridiculously dumb, it's perfect.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

He has gone on a quest to find medicine to treat my eyes...

I see.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never been impressed with Jun. It's hard for him to keep up. I usually stuff him with experience and transfer him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty much. Both samurai are pretty disappointing. Jun does have an ok gimmick of throwing 15 hits on the combo gauge at the start of your finisher but his normals are so hard to hit with that it kinda cancels out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

dis astranagant posted:

Ah, Jun. King of flippy bullshit normals that keep missing and almost good finishers. Unfortunately katanas suck rear end and so does he.

I have never had Jun miss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I never could get his full chain to land on anything that wasn't big as a house. In part because everyone else either knocked the enemy down or launched them into the air before he finished drawing his sword.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It's been too long since I played this game: I never thought to connect Jun's story to Persona.

Anyway, Jun's a fairly technical character. If you click with his rhythm he's got a decent little niche (the best character to lead off PWS combos with) but that's about all he has going for him thanks in no small part to his weapon class being crummy.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've never really used Jun much, but these are some of the lines I remember best from this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The supernatural doesn't mess around with you in this game, does it?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Remember this line, please.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

The supernatural doesn't mess around with you in this game, does it?

There's actually a "blink-and-you-miss-it" explanation for all the chaos going on in Midgard. Or maybe it's the next game.

Speaking of which, ApllesandOranges, do you plan on doing finishing up the trilogy?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's actually a "blink-and-you-miss-it" explanation for all the chaos going on in Midgard. Or maybe it's the next game.

Speaking of which, ApllesandOranges, do you plan on doing finishing up the trilogy?

Someone on the forums is already doing the third game I think,

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hunter Noventa posted:

Someone on the forums is already doing the third game I think,

Covenant of the plume?

Yeah BraeburnsandSatsumas is doing that one. I think he's far from done though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Covenant of the plume?
ApplesandOranges already did that one. I think Rabbi Raccoon is referring to the second game in the series, Silmeria.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FredMSloniker posted:

ApplesandOranges already did that one. I think Rabbi Raccoon is referring to the second game in the series, Silmeria.

Braeburn is a brand of apples, and Satsuma is a citrus fruit. :v:

Silmeria is definitely on the to-do list, but whether I do that or another game that's also on the list after this one is done remains to be seen. It will be done at some point though.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Uh, Covenant was already finished but nobody's ever tried to do Silmeria.

Edit: already stated, forgot to refresh.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
gently caress all you haters. I kept Jun with me all the way until...well I can't spoil, but needless to say I used him for a very long time. His attacks can be wonky, but nothing, NOTHING beats watching that PWS in action.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Oooh yeah, Valkyrie Profile. Tried it on a whim a few years ago, and I've been replaying it every two years or so since them. This is gonna be a fun LP.

Joining in with the Jun fanclub. He isn't all that difficult to use if you mess around with the order of his attacts a bit, and he can set the enemy for behind which can be useful with some party setups. He can also spam that PWS like no other and you get to hear his wonderful quotes every time. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Injustice for the Just

Artolia's our next stop.

Arngrim...

---

Please check again.

He killed Princess Jelanda, Lord Lombert, and thirty soldiers of the guard! The situation is clear.

Father!

Please understand.

So the guy Arngrim didn't want to fight right before he suicided? Lawfer's dad.

---

Listen: Lawfer

Please, let's just stop, Arngrim. I'm not a genius like you.

Genius? That's what losers say. He's "different". He's "special".

Pick up your spear. All you can do is your best.

Lawfer is voiced by Maddie Blaustein, who also voiced Arngrim. So yes, she's talking to herself here.

---

Yeah, it looks like he's gone berserk or something.

---

Ho ho. You must be a content man indeed, if that's the way you think.

---

Are you just a blade of grass to be blown in the wind?

---

Please look after Roland for me. See you later.

Stop right there. Do you really expect your friends to just sit by quietly while you go to meet your own death?

There are many who would agree.

But there are many who would not.

About him being "special"?

You're wrong!

It's not like that...

Lawfer...

In this line of work, I know there are times when you have to just grit your teeth and face death.

But that doesn't mean you should just throw your life away!

Hey, let's all go together. There's no reason to go it alone! If we all go, then-

That's not a typo in Celia's line, by the way - it's spelled like that in-game. It's hard to tell from the Spiritual Concentration, but I think it was supposed to be 'go in'.

Even though he understood what it would do to Roland?

It's not just that. He didn't want to draw his sword against my father. And so he-

When I think of how he must have felt-

---

I am grateful that you chose a name for me that begins with "Law".

---

And... that's it. Scene ends, Lawfer's in our party. No indication of how he died. Best assumption is that he attempts to break Roland (who was imprisoned after Arngrim's death) out of jail, intending to leave him in the care of Celia and Kashell, and dies in the attempt.

Since we never see Roland again after this, it can be assumed he's either in hiding, or (more likely) that he also dies in the attempt, and since he's clearly unsuited for battle Lenneth can't even swoop in and recruit him, either. :smith:

Lawfer character artwork.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 31, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's not a typo in Celia's line, by the way - it's spelled like that in-game. It's hard to tell from the Spiritual Concentration, but I think it was supposed to be 'go in'.

That's not a typo because "go it alone" is a well-known phrase. The sentence makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm pretty sure Arngrim has some choice comments to share with Lawfer about not being killed doing stupid things. Probably in the form of a boot up Lawfer's incorporeal rear end.

• Locked thread