Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

vkeios posted:

Get the volca sample instead since it's the better drum machine.

Yeah this.

The sample is a stupidly good deal if you're wanting a drum machine, especially if you put it through a multi-effects processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

The Sample is probably the better drum machine all things considered, but I am loving my Beats again now that I fixed the snare and got a Beatstep Pro to sequence it with (thanks, Tayter!).

Hell yeah, glad it found a good home!

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
So the new OP-1 OS beta leaked a few days ago. Some really neat additions to the machine including a new synth engine called Slump, an arpeggiator, and a ton of new samples/presets. The best part is they seemed to fix the loop clicking problem with automatic crossfading which is huge imo

Here is a short demo showing off the Arpeggiator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyBkrdm0O4

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm doing this wrong because I actually made a song with my synths. It only took since January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JALUxMPbuA

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Very nice. Good organic movement throughout.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I just bought a Metropolis. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner....

It's the best, I've been using a Rene for the longest time and I suppose they are both incredibly similar in functions and scope (and size), but the Rene is definitely a little more esoteric to command. I might keep both in the meanwhile because I love sequencing, but the Metropolis has won me over. It actually won me over when I first got into Euro, so many melodic and beautiful patches utilizing the module, but as is apparent, I've only gotten my hands on one as of now.

Speaking of modules, I'm selling a ton of stuff at the moment. PM me for more details (I don't want to poo poo up this thread with FS stuff), but I've got the following:

Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box
Pittsburgh MIDI 3
Doepfer A-160-5 Ratcheting Sequencer
Shakmat Modular Bishop's Miscellany
Pittsburgh Game System
Music Thing Expanded Turing Machine Mk I
Bastl GrandPA SPA expander
Intellijel Dixie II+
SSF/WMD ADSRVCA
Soundmachines LS1 Touch controller thingy

and my Synthrotek 6U +1U 84HP case with power and a bunch of Pulp Logic 1U modules

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Somebody's hawking a red JD-Xi for $350 in my area. Should I be interested?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
HELLO NEIGHBOR
I saw that but I got too much poo poo I don't have time to play as it is. Yes it's a dece hybrid with an unfortunate color scheme.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can't stand mini keys or I would get one of those

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Startyde posted:

HELLO NEIGHBOR
I saw that but I got too much poo poo I don't have time to play as it is. Yes it's a dece hybrid with an unfortunate color scheme.

Yo was your Porchfest as lame as mine?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Who here has the Arturia V Collection? Two things are making me think about picking up the new V Collection 5: one, the Synclavier V, and two, the discount I get for the moment for buying the whole kit and kaboodle (rather than just the Synclavier V alone). But I wondered if anyone had any trip reports about it. It seems like V Collection 5, which just came out, follows closely on the heels of V Collection 4, so maybe I should expect to be paying upgrade prices inside of a year or two if I wanted to keep current? Or has Collection 4 been out for a while? Also, is Arturia's software licensing thing (ASC) relatively out of the way and non-onerous?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I upgraded to 5, but haven't tried the Synclavier yet. Word is it's good, but extremely deep -- you're not going to learn it over a weekend.

You're right that the upgrade cycle was real short this time around -- 18 months since 4. I did get a discount but it's worth waiting until the collection is half off, which they do every so often.

Their license thing works fine for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

You're right that the upgrade cycle was real short this time around -- 18 months since 4. I did get a discount but it's worth waiting until the collection is half off, which they do every so often.

Black Friday, right?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Probably. They did one in August or July of 2014 too for some reason.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How would I go about creating a really eerie, dissonant choir sound reminiscent of the Alien soundtrack? I know a lot of that creepiness lies in the intervals and pitchbend but it's a sound I've always wanted to nail down. Ideally with my synth but if it won't yield a convincing timbre I'm open to samplers as well.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Tayter Swift posted:

I upgraded to 5, but haven't tried the Synclavier yet. Word is it's good, but extremely deep -- you're not going to learn it over a weekend.

Their license thing works fine for me.
I have a discount until June 30th that gets me the whole collection for $299. That's the price/package deal I'm considering...

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

minidracula posted:

Who here has the Arturia V Collection? Two things are making me think about picking up the new V Collection 5: one, the Synclavier V, and two, the discount I get for the moment for buying the whole kit and kaboodle (rather than just the Synclavier V alone). But I wondered if anyone had any trip reports about it. It seems like V Collection 5, which just came out, follows closely on the heels of V Collection 4, so maybe I should expect to be paying upgrade prices inside of a year or two if I wanted to keep current? Or has Collection 4 been out for a while? Also, is Arturia's software licensing thing (ASC) relatively out of the way and non-onerous?

You get the Synclavier, a physically modeled piano (which can go weird) and a bunch of organs that open up to be tweakable. E.g. the Farfisa can be an additive synth. The interfaces can now go huge (and ugly but functional). The patch browser is now good. There's some mention of circuit modeling being added to the synthesisers. I haven't done an A/B but given the CPU doesn't go too crazy we are not talking U-He here. Nevertheless the cross mod on the Prophet seems OK, The Jupiter 8 is no longer branded as Roland, probably as the Boutiques are out.
4 has been out at least a year.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mister Speaker posted:

How would I go about creating a really eerie, dissonant choir sound reminiscent of the Alien soundtrack? I know a lot of that creepiness lies in the intervals and pitchbend but it's a sound I've always wanted to nail down. Ideally with my synth but if it won't yield a convincing timbre I'm open to samplers as well.

Pitch shifted reverb.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
:smith:

e: Oh god when am I going to learn about screenshots from high pixel density displays

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

The ZVEX Lo-Fi Junky pedal is super fun to run any synth through (and they'll have a euro version of it later this year).

AfroDJMac has an Ableton rack out that does similar stuff in software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgjVm55DFA

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Soviet technology acquired. Dude had it plugged in to 110V :stonk:

Tomorrow it gets put on a bench and the damage can be assessed. No telling how much works until I power it properly. The thing was half working on 110, so it's promising.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sliderule posted:

Tomorrow it gets put on a bench and the damage can be assessed. No telling how much works until I power it properly. The thing was half working on 110, so it's promising.

Like the Kalashnikov of synths....

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I've read the OP and I'm making my way through the thread slowly, but I just wanted to check... Is the minibrute still the best place to start? I play guitar and bass but this is my first look at this kinda stuff and I think I'm ready to join the strange, scary, expensive world of synths.

The first thing to really catch my eye was the OP-1 and I've found a fairly good deal on a used one but I want to do this properly and I'm not sure if that's a good way to start.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think the Minilogue is the real flavor these days, but I don't have one. A 4-voice synth with oscilloscope for $500 is a great deal.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

minidracula posted:

I haven't upgraded to 5, but 4 is very good. Everything works well and sounds good, and it has good Komplete Kontrol integration if you're one of the dozen people on the planet that matters to.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the V Collection 4, but some of the interfaces are incredibly tiny and hard to use. Since V Collection 5 fixes that, I'd say it's probably worth it to get that. Heck, I'm considering paying 100€ just to get the improved interface :smith:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

ynohtna posted:

Pitch shifted reverb.

Using this as a guide, I implemented this in Tracktion 4 (which means pretty much anything can do it):
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/building-shimmer-reverb

Basically:

track 1 = a synth
track 2 = epicVerb, 4.6s tail, about 30% damping
Track 3 = pitch shifter, 1 octave up

t1 -> sends to reverb, reverb sends to pitch shifter, pitch shifter sends to reverb.
The initial send is 0db, sends 2 and 3 are -4 or -5 db so you don't blow out your levels.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

I've read the OP and I'm making my way through the thread slowly, but I just wanted to check... Is the minibrute still the best place to start? I play guitar and bass but this is my first look at this kinda stuff and I think I'm ready to join the strange, scary, expensive world of synths.

The first thing to really catch my eye was the OP-1 and I've found a fairly good deal on a used one but I want to do this properly and I'm not sure if that's a good way to start.

Like TS said, the Minilogue will probably become the new gold standard 'starter synth'. It costs twice as much as a new Microbrute and is currently only sporadically available at retailers (next shipping window is mid-June apparently? Between this and moving, I gotta save up that paper......) but the sheer breadth/depth of stuff it can do and its apparent quality make it well worth it and have me really excited to get one.

Alternatively, if you don't already have a MIDI keyboard/knob/slider controller for your DAW, now might be a good time to get one and also play around with softsynths for a bit.

Hardware rules but software has the cold, hard bang/buck balance. Something like the aforementioned V Collection will get you a lot of instruments for less than the cost of most new hardware keyboard synths or modules. And you can use the keyboard for broader production tasks if you decide that synths aren't really your thing.

On the opposite end of cost: If you have an iOS device, there are tons of awesome synth apps there too. The vast majority are Core MIDI compliant at this point, and will easily work with most keyboard controllers- in some circumstances wirelessly. Several have been made by companies like MOOG and Arturia. Some have been made by goons. iOS will also give you the breadth and flexibility of a computer platform. You have sequencing/effects/recording/drum machine/export/cover art production available to you on something like an iPad. In some ways, that resembles the do-it-all approach of the OP-1.

Of course, the OP-1 is absolutely lustworthy and I covet it as well. But I'm not made of money, I only recently started working again, and I have a lot of expenses coming up. But while it looks flippin' amazing to me, the OP-1 also seems less "essential"(and a fair bit more obtuse) than something like a straightforward synth or an iPad, especially given the relative cost.

And that's not to say that you shouldn't get a Minibrute/Microbrute at some point either. They're all really fun and unique. If you can save up and spend strategically (Black Friday), you can relatively quickly build up a hoard of physical and virtual instruments between all of the sales that literally everybody does.

Edit: 'horde' to 'hoard'. They're a collection, not an army.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 25, 2016

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the words man. Yeah I actually have an iPad Pro and a 6S+. I also have a MacBook Pro with Logic. So I guess I have the bases covered there. I just don't know where to start haha

Still heavily considering an OP-1 if I'm totally honest :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

sliderule posted:

Cyka blyat!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

So the transformer was bridged for 110 already, and the half working state was its actual condition. It will take us a little bit to interpret the schematics, but we have 2 people in the office that can read Cyrillic, so we should never get stumped.

Issues:
Both saw and triangle oscillators low volume on both generators, and triangle sounds like saw.
Filter cut knob only uses 1/4 of its travel to full open, but LFO and envelope depth are ranged correctly. Pot checks out.
Main volume knob highly nonlinear, highest setting bleeds audio even with the VCA closed.
A few scratchy pots.

Other than that, everything works. Guts look clean, minimal case damage, clean face. All knobs and switches original.

One cool feature is that with A/D zeroed, the amp envelope repeat acts as a ring modulator, turning my wahs into yeahs.

Another cool feature is OMG dat filter at near full res.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Digital Jesus posted:

Thanks for the words man. Yeah I actually have an iPad Pro and a 6S+. I also have a MacBook Pro with Logic. So I guess I have the bases covered there. I just don't know where to start haha

Get gadget for your iPad and your welcome.

Other "must have" apps are animoog, model 15, and I'm a huge fan of patterning for drums and can't recommend it enough.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i rotated the vactrols in my lxd and drat, the bottom channel sounds worth hearing now! wish id done this last week

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Oh my, my brute broke... Anyone had to deal with Arturia support before? I've submitted a 'support ticket' and have heard nothing for 4 days now...

The biggest bummer is that it's literally not left my room, traversing the distance between a desk and stored every so often for the past four months. Pitch CV out seems ok, but gate In/Out does nothing, keyboard is unable to trigger envelopes and thus no ability to make noises.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Digital Jesus posted:

I've had a few synths over the last few years but nowhere near as most of the people in the thread, and my basic thoughts on the OP-1 are that it's not for everyone. If you want a synth, there's better. If you want a portable studio there's almost no competition. It's been with me on every trip, gets brought when I go to a cabin for a weekend. I can record any other thing into it and use it as a tape machine and effects processor, or sample what I've recorded. As a synth it has two major failings; line noise (which I correct by using an external DAC when needed) and in general the synths sound very thin compared to analog or virtual analog.

As much as I am an evangelist for the OP-1, there's a lot better you can spend the money on if you're just looking to get into synths. I bought it because it ticked all my boxes - a device that wasn't based on looking at a screen constantly that I could take with me nearly everywhere and do anything I want with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

_Dav posted:

Oh my, my brute broke... Anyone had to deal with Arturia support before? I've submitted a 'support ticket' and have heard nothing for 4 days now...

The biggest bummer is that it's literally not left my room, traversing the distance between a desk and stored every so often for the past four months. Pitch CV out seems ok, but gate In/Out does nothing, keyboard is unable to trigger envelopes and thus no ability to make noises.

If the problem ends up being confined to the keyboard, there are conversion kits out there to turn it into a desktop module if you so wish.

breaks
May 12, 2001

_Dav posted:

I just had to deal with them to get a new filter select knob for my minibrute because the old one flaked out. It took them almost two weeks to respond to the initial inquiry, and then 3 or 4 days for each additional response beyond that. Also they were a little rude, I don't know if it was the language barrier or just them being French. :shobon:

They did send me the part without charging me anything, though I still have to pay someone to replace it (as I expected since it's long out of warranty).

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

Get gadget for your iPad and your welcome.

Other "must have" apps are animoog, model 15, and I'm a huge fan of patterning for drums and can't recommend it enough.

Gadget looks awesome. I think I'll grab it today.

Isn't it funny that I immediately balked at the $62.99AUD for the app, but I was ready to drop $800-1299 for the OP-1, on a whim...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Gadget looks awesome. I think I'll grab it today.

Isn't it funny that I immediately balked at the $62.99AUD for the app, but I was ready to drop $800-1299 for the OP-1, on a whim...

It's the same impulse that makes people turn up their noses at spending more than $300 on V Collection while they scrimp together $2500 for a 4-voice DSI creation with half-baked firmware.

GAS is a mysterious and troubling force...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

_Dav posted:

Their customer service sucks. When I had the keyboard issue it took literally a month before they contacted me after sending in like 4 tickets and then it was another month before I was sent the information of of where I can send it to be fixed. Then it was another 3 months before I got it back.

SparkLE is the only thing of theirs that's been half way decent and I've pretty much sworn them off now.