Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Politicalrancor posted:

People don't hate the Yankees enough, anymore.

As a Twins fan, gently caress the Yankees. gently caress them and their stupid elderly team.

Though we did give Rivera that cool-rear end rocking chair last year, so maybe--no. No, gently caress the Yankees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best way to make a standings board is to keep going to Dairy Queen until you get all 30 helmets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Quad posted:

Ehh, if I had to get into a team I'd have to go for the best team in Baseball (Boston, as of 10-30-13), until the next World Series came and changed that title. But I'm more trying to appreciate the sport as a concept, I guess.

turn left, even the sweetest victories turn to ash in your mouth and everyone hates you (for good reason)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best way to make a standings board is to keep going to Dairy Queen until you get all 30 helmets

Go to every ballpark and get all 30 helmets.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just can't kill that many ballplayers...I've tried! 15 is my limit!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I thought about that too, the Dairy Queens in my area don't HAVE the little helmets anymore.
I wanted to say to the guy "then why are you even open?"

edit: I guess they stopped making them in the 80's. :( This is how out of touch I am.

Quad fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 2, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jacobs Field didn't have them, I was so pissed

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What the heck does the C at the end of this mean?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What the heck does the C at the end of this mean?

some dumb poo poo about the new challenge system I think

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

some dumb poo poo about the new challenge system I think
Oh I guess that makes sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I dunno what that is.

Since everyone knows how great the NFL challenge system for calls is, MLB decided to copy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_replay_in_Major_League_Baseball

You get one challenge per game, and you get a second one if the first one is right. You can challenge the following plays:

Ground-rule doubles
Fan interference calls
Boundary calls (managers may not, however, challenge home run or potential home run calls)
Force plays at all bases, except whether a middle infielder touched second base during the attempt to "turn" a double play
Tag plays on the base paths—whether a runner was tagged or whether the runner touched a base (an appeal is still required ahead of the latter)
Fair/foul calls on balls hit into the outfield
Catch/trap calls on balls hit into the outfield
Time plays (whether or not a run scored prior to the third out)
Whether a runner passed a preceding runner
Scorekeeping issues, including the count, number of outs, score or substitutions

The green indicates that the team still has its challenge available to it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Quad posted:

Last year was my first year of the Experiment To Love Baseball; I don't follow sports and I decided that I would go all in. Joined a fantasy league, shared an mlb.tv premium subscription, bought a hat.
This year, I didn't get in to a fantasy league, which is sad, because I don't have a favorite team, which kinda means the experience of watching baseball has no end-game for me. I wouldn't be doing it to see if "my team" got the pennant, or that "my players" did well. I'm still trying to keep up though.
Its not too late to join a fantasy league if you'd like to do that again. Check the Armchair Quarterback for any late drafting leagues, or join a public one on yahoo/espn.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't listen to the Diamondbacks announcer crew very much, but haven't had any options lately.

Has Miguel Montero been "Miggy" for a long time, or something they are trying to get it to stick? It seems like most people associate that nickname with that other Miguel in Detroit. If that seems cynical, you'll have to pardon me, but the D-Backs haven't exactly been above silly branding shenanigans in the past couple years.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Craptacular! posted:

I don't listen to the Diamondbacks announcer crew very much, but haven't had any options lately.

Has Miguel Montero been "Miggy" for a long time, or something they are trying to get it to stick? It seems like most people associate that nickname with that other Miguel in Detroit. If that seems cynical, you'll have to pardon me, but the D-Backs haven't exactly been above silly branding shenanigans in the past couple years.

"Miggy" is just one of those stupid nicknames that guys get because for some reason everyone in a sports clubhouse has to have a two-syllable nickname that ends in y.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I understand that OBP is better than AVG because you are not getting out. But, with a walk runners can only advance one base,if that, but a hit gives runners the chance to advance multiple bases and even score. How do stat geeks and fans consolidate this?

As far as OBP over AVG, I know walks are counted and probably sacrifice plays(?), but what else is included in OBP?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quad posted:

My question is, I'm looking for a good quality Standings Board that I could update every day on the wall of my cubicle, something not so huge, like maybe 11x17; something like that. Just a little ritual every day to remind me that baseball exists and I should watch it. Any ideas?

I found a mini-helmet version at the Tigers' game yesterday for $20. Comes with a cardboard piece to keep the helmets in order, and a little cap for each team.

ElwoodCuse posted:

In 2011 or 2012, Baskin Robbins actually gave away the helmets in a big promotion. They don't have them at Dairy Queen anymore, but they do exist.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Jacobs Field didn't have them, I was so pissed

I don't know if this is referencing this year or not, but Cleveland changed their official primary logo from Wahoo to the block C. That helmet set at Comerica Park was brand new...because the Indians' cap had the C on it. Supposedly, the Indians made the logo switch late in the developmental process this year, so some MLB licensees are behind on getting updated Indians stuff out there.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, the Indians are phasing Chief Wahoo out, that is why any Tribe gear I buy has the Chief on it, because it will be disappearing eventually.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah, the Indians are phasing Chief Wahoo out, that is why any Tribe gear I buy has the Chief on it, because it will be disappearing eventually.

Presumably you collect it to gaze upon it and wonder how we could condone an an amazingly racist symbol to represent a sports team.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

zakharov posted:

Presumably you collect it to gaze upon it and wonder how we could condone an an amazingly racist symbol to represent a sports team.

Actually I do it so that I can appear as edgy as possible to people like you for years into the future.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mornacale posted:

"Miggy" is just one of those stupid nicknames that guys get because for some reason everyone in a sports clubhouse has to have a two-syllable nickname that ends in y.

Beats M-Cab.

zakharov posted:

He's a Cleveland fan. Maybe tone down your expectations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Michael Corleone posted:

They're phasing him out over many years, from what I can tell. The change for this year is simply switching the C and Wahoo.

However, some teams have already phased out Wahoo. The Tigers' scoreboard graphics in 2013 featured the block C, and I'm sure some other teams did the same.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

AsInHowe posted:

They're phasing him out over many years, from what I can tell.

Yep, that is my thinking too. It won't be around too much longer, so if I want a shirt, hat, or whatever, and it is an option I'll buy it because I like the tradition of the Browns and Indians, even if we haven't been good for decades. I can always buy new stuff later.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If the Cleveland professional baseball team had any balls, they'd rename the team to the Spiders. The Cleveland Spiders would be amazing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AsInHowe posted:

If the Cleveland professional baseball team had any balls, they'd rename the team to the Spiders. The Cleveland Spiders would be amazing.

Cleveland Sorrow, Cleveland Despair, Cleveland Misery all seem pretty good to me.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Austrian mook posted:

Cleveland Sorrow, Cleveland Despair, Cleveland Misery all seem pretty good to me.

But to really display those emotions, you really could keep using Chief Wahoo, to truly represent the plight of his people. MLB will want a logo change, so Spiders it must be.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Cleveland Spiders would be awesome if we have to change the name. Make it a total rebranding, and spend some MONEY on players you cheap fuckers!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Michael Corleone posted:

I understand that OBP is better than AVG because you are not getting out. But, with a walk runners can only advance one base,if that, but a hit gives runners the chance to advance multiple bases and even score. How do stat geeks and fans consolidate this?

As far as OBP over AVG, I know walks are counted and probably sacrifice plays(?), but what else is included in OBP?

HBP are also included in OBP.

As for the fact that singles are more valuable than walks, this is why the best offensive stats are based on linear weights, which essentially means that statistics are run to find the relative correlation of each plate outcome with runs scored for a given league/year, and then these numbers are used as coefficients in a linear equation (so, something like c1*BB + c2*1B + c3*2B + ...). The most popular of these is wOBA (weighted On Base Average), which is scaled to resemble OBP (so .320-.330 is about average, .350 is good, .300 is bad, etc.). You can find it at Fangraphs, and if you want to check this page you can find the exact ratio of value between a walk and a single for every year since 1871!

In general, Fangraphs is actually a really good site that people really ought to use as long as that use doesn't involve reading articles.

Michael Corleone posted:

Yep, that is my thinking too. It won't be around too much longer, so if I want a shirt, hat, or whatever, and it is an option I'll buy it because I like the tradition of the Browns and Indians, even if we haven't been good for decades. I can always buy new stuff later.

I too appreciate the fine American tradition of overt and unapologetic racism.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a MLB equivalent of the NBA meet the team threads? I have had a search but couldn't find anything, or even a similar non-SA website out there. I follow the NBA really closely but looking for an off season sport to follow and have always loved the little bits of MLB that get shown on TV here.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

How many bases you get is accounted for in your slugging percentage, as well.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

EMC posted:

Is there a MLB equivalent of the NBA meet the team threads? I have had a search but couldn't find anything, or even a similar non-SA website out there. I follow the NBA really closely but looking for an off season sport to follow and have always loved the little bits of MLB that get shown on TV here.

There is, but unfortunately it's woefully incomplete and probably won't get a whole lot more writeups (complete it jerks).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Monicro posted:

There is, but unfortunately it's woefully incomplete and probably won't get a whole lot more writeups (complete it jerks).

I'll do the yankees tonight, jeez

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

In general, Fangraphs is actually a really good site that people really ought to use as long as that use doesn't involve reading articles.

Hey Jeff Sullivan is over there now and still owns

otherwise yeah basically

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Two games mean nothing, but did anything change in the off season for the Marlins and the Astros? If not, I'd like to safely continue knowing they are very bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Monicro posted:

If nobody's done Red Sox I will make a low effort poop post

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Requesting a Brewers write-up. Convince me I'm not making a huge mistake.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Jerome Agricola posted:

Requesting a Brewers write-up. Convince me I'm not making a huge mistake.

The quick write-up is "you are." They'll probably be okay-ish this year but their farm system is complete trash and once that sorta-contention window closes, they're going to be bad for a real long time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If nobody's done Red Sox I will make a low effort poop post

Still none for them and low effort poop is all the Red Sox deserve so go for it

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Brewers are pretty reliant on their farm system making them competitive since they're a small market team and that is what helped them be competitive a few years ago in addition to getting super lucky with some players like Casey McGehee. They have a star in Braun and decent group of players under 30 in Lucroy, Segura, Gomez and Khris Davis but it's probably not enough to make them a serious competitor. It's not that it's a terrible team, it's just that there's no area where it stands out and they have a terrible farm system that isn't going to give them any help.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I only just started following baseball stuff and a writeup about the Braves would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Two games mean nothing, but did anything change in the off season for the Marlins and the Astros? If not, I'd like to safely continue knowing they are very bad.

The Astros completely and totally committed to a rebuild a few years ago and they have a pretty good chance of becoming a good team. They have a billion young players, some legit prospects, and as of right now the division around them looks to be getting weaker. Plus the only place they CAN go is up.

The Marlins I don't know anything about, except they have a real promising young pitcher (they'll probably eventually lose) and an amazing young slugger (they will definitely lose) and a horrible owner who sold off everything of value to save $$$.

• Locked thread