Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

Does it ever happen?

Never since Google is really selective of their employees and like to see snobbish schools like Stanford on the resume.

The overall acceptance rate is ~1%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nessus posted:

Does it ever happen?

Everyone has a friend that knows a guy that just tried real hard and got accepted. It's like a grown up version of your friend's dad working at Nintendo, except this ridiculous belief is almost all that gets them up in the morning.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Yeah, there's more of an overlap between the wall street crowd and startup culture than people assume. I switched over to finance from tech and noticed the same degree of naivete about politics and money, namely that the concerns of a minimum wage earner largely mirror those of an investment banker or startup yuppie making a couple hundred grand in their 20s.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So after catching up with this thread, as a computer science graduate student moving to the West Coast, how unbearable should I expect to become? Is there any way to avoid being sucked into this self-absorbed technocracy bubble of corporate power worship, or will my very presence cause the area around me to gentrify?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Dolash posted:

So after catching up with this thread, as a computer science graduate student moving to the West Coast, how unbearable should I expect to become? Is there any way to avoid being sucked into this self-absorbed technocracy bubble of corporate power worship, or will my very presence cause the area around me to gentrify?

Posting on these forums will solve any delusions of grandeur.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dolash posted:

How do you feel about ordering micro brews from your iphone in a trendy new converted warehouse gastro pub?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Dolash posted:

well the tech bubble is probably going to burst in a year or two so that'll keep you humble

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Nessus posted:

Does it ever happen?

It will if Zuckerberg and co manage to shove through H1B reform and recruit cheaper harder-working Indian/Chinese labor!

My advice: If someone tells you there's not enough people to fill job openings, they're aren't paying enough or don't want to pay enough.

Dolash posted:

Don't drink the kool-aid.

EDIT: vvvv also that. Don't get in your own little start-up world. Mix with other people in other jobs. Treat your job as a job, which is slightly harder with the lovely startup mentality right now. Don't lose sight of other people's struggles.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 23, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Mix with people outside of industry.
It's easy to fall into the trap of only socializing with people in the same business.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

And don't use xkcd as a lifestyle manual.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

shrike82 posted:

Mix with people outside of industry.
It's easy to fall into the trap of only socializing with people in the same business.

This goes for anyone in any field, too.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Dolash posted:

In norcal? No, there is none. Like Hollywood, it just isn't a healthy place if you wish to become a reasonably balanced and well adjusted human being.

Outside of that, have non-tech friends, and call your tech friends on their bullshit instead of joining in.

e: stay the gently caress away form startups

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

This is about the only time I'll recommend this book, but if you pick up Young Money, you'll find that the upper-middle class white kids in finance were actually the ones who talked themselves into believing that finance is somehow going to make things better for everyone, only to be disabused of that notion explicitly by their superiors. The kids from different backgrounds - both economically and racially - were more "aware" in the sense that they knew they were in a job to make money, not improve the world.

I was going to say there probably is some "honeymoon period" but the way finance is at this point, I think you would learn real fast you are there for the money and only the money.

quote:

Bullshit - both of them pretty much just regard the rest of humanity without any real empathy. If you can't think like them, you just don't count in their world view. The only difference is that the Silicon Valley guy literally cannot conceive of other people as actually different, whereas the Manhattan guy might, but just doesn't give a poo poo.

The finance guy is going to ultimately be more "realistic" because he has a much closer experience with how the system works and either quits his job or just goes on making money. The Techie can live in a comparative fantasy land because his impact on the world is abstract, and the corporate environment may be somewhat softer on the surface (sandals and a t-shirt). It is much easier for a techie to fool himself he isn't an rear end in a top hat than to face up to the fact he is one.

Real empathy doesn't figure into any of these people, they have been raised not to give a poo poo except for the most thin attempt at not seeming like a total monster in public (and thats best case scenario).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Ardennes posted:

I was going to say there probably is some "honeymoon period" but the way finance is at this point, I think you would learn real fast you are there for the money and only the money.

Yeah, I think I probably unfairly assumed that we were talking about the freshly minted alone.

Ardennes posted:

Real empathy doesn't figure into any of these people, they have been raised not to give a poo poo except for the most thin attempt at not seeming like a total monster in public (and thats best case scenario).

I'm not sure this is true, though. Where "tech people" (or the vocal, visible segment we're working off of here) differ from 95% of Americans - including finance people - is that they believe that their job is more than a self-sustaining enterprise. Coal miners don't give a gently caress about pollution unless it's contaminating their air and water, taxicab drivers don't give a poo poo about the implications of oil consumption except when it affects their bottom lines, etc. These are broad generalizations, and there are exceptions, but I don't think we should be pathologizing people with different priorities by painting huge categories of people as approximate sociopaths.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 23, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Working with computers is a great way to make a lot of money for a low-effort, high-brainpower job. The problem is when you forget it's just a job and you start using programming as your identity, your political touchstone, the banner you wave to save the world, etc. I know a guy who divides people into programmers and morons. Don't be that guy.

Mr. Wynand posted:

In norcal? No, there is none. Like Hollywood, it just isn't a healthy place if you wish to become a reasonably balanced and well adjusted human being.

Outside of that, have non-tech friends, and call your tech friends on their bullshit instead of joining in.

e: stay the gently caress away form startups

The problem isn't with startups per se but if it's not obvious what the business model is and how profit is generated, or if there's a much larger emphasis on short term growth than stable long term expansion, then don't stick around.

I've worked for a couple software startups. There's a wide gap between a startup that intends to be a business some day and a startup that is just trying to hulk out on revenue until it gets picked by VC, at which point management will bail with the money and you'll be lucky to land a job wherever the startup is absorbed.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 23, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anyone provide reading on the upcoming tech bubble?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
"Upcoming" hahahahahaha.

Here's some stuff on Airbnb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

im gay posted:

Less upcoming, more "has been happening a good 8 years at this point". We haven't quite reached the point of this again, but it won't be far off (note the revenue:net income ratio on these two companies):

http://news.cnet.com/CyberCash,-First-Virtual-lose-big/2100-1001_3-266892.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr. Wynand posted:

They are incredibly sheltered and incredibly naive. All these kids are incredibly easy to take advantage of - I'm pretty sure the only reason Google et al bother with the high salaries and perks at all is that with their current revenues it's easier than not doing it.

Google has profits of over $1M per employee so they aren't sweating paying fresh graduates around a tenth of that plus some stock.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

You too can make millions off making others commit fraud!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

I'm not sure this is true, though. Where "tech people" (or the vocal, visible segment we're working off of here) differ from 95% of Americans - including finance people - is that they believe that their job is more than a self-sustaining enterprise. Coal miners don't give a gently caress about pollution unless it's contaminating their air and water, taxicab drivers don't give a poo poo about the implications of oil consumption except when it affects their bottom lines, etc. These are broad generalizations, and there are exceptions, but I don't think we should be pathologizing people with different priorities by painting huge categories of people as approximate sociopaths.

From experience, tech people is anything might be more hard hearted than much of the population especially where it counts. I do think money + relative lack of social interaction does have accumulative effect. A lot of time when you talk drive them on their techno utopias, the ultimate answer is that they really don't give a poo poo except they will be the ones in the utopia.

It is just a slightly different version of the "elect."

quote:

"Upcoming" hahahahahaha.

Here's some stuff on Airbnb.

They are moving their HQ to downtown Portland, nice knowing you PDX.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Make all these bus services into public lines. Improve gizmo/public transport communication and reliability. There's alot of classism and racism tied up in vehicles (not wanting to mix with those people), as well as issues about the individual vs. conglomerate. There's alot of wasted energy and material the way we move people and objects around - but the ancap Reagan/Thatcher fundies only think in terms of personal profit - they aren't considering how these companies can create public value (and build highrise apartments).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ardennes posted:

They are moving their HQ to downtown Portland, nice knowing you PDX.

You're naive as gently caress if you don't think Portland is already that.

McDowell posted:

Make all these bus services into public lines.

There is no public use for "bus that stops in trendy neighborhood, then runs straight 45 miles to Google HQ".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

im gay posted:

People and companies getting caught up in enthusiasm and paying absurd amounts of money (as both venture capital and outright buying companies) for startups that aren't taking in any money, have no plan for making money, and exist only to suck down life support money from idiot VCs until a major player buys them out for a thousand times what the company is worth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Main Paineframe posted:

People and companies getting caught up in enthusiasm and paying absurd amounts of money (as both venture capital and outright buying companies) for startups that aren't taking in any money, have no plan for making money, and exist only to suck down life support money from idiot VCs until a major player buys them out for a thousand times what the company is worth.

And that's how Instagram was worth $1 billion and why Snapchat turned down $4 billion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
See this line from the article I linked?

"CyberCash reported $50,646 in revenue for the quarter ended December 31 and lost $8 million, 75 cents a share, better than the Wall Street consensus of a 78-cent loss. Only $20,000 of CyberCash's revenue came from its core business of processing electronic credit card transactions; the rest was from consulting. "

That was last bubble. In this bubble we're already seeing companies where it's lost $8 million in a quarter, and had $0 in revenue.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Install Windows posted:

You're naive as gently caress if you don't think Portland is already that.

If you spent much time in Seattle or SF you know there is a giant difference, Portland (Pearl and all) is comparatively podunk. The cost of living is extremely different as well (although wages in Portland are low to make up for it). Portland is still behind the curve.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Also you're seeing more non-tech VC types trying to get a piece of the action. Justin Bieber, Malaysian mining/drilling companies, and Saudi princes are all investing in tech startups. That's a bad sign.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Twitter makes money because the news tells me it does.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a lot of money to be made by Twitter, but much like Facebook, the users are the product.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ardennes posted:

If you spent much time in Seattle or SF you know there is a giant difference, Portland (Pearl and all) is comparatively podunk. The cost of living is extremely different as well (although wages in Portland are low to make up for it). Portland is still behind the curve.

The insufferability and general whiteness unbound is already there in spades. It simply doesn't have the price congestion because despite having 3/4 the population, it's nearly 3x the physical area. You'd really have to work to drive real estate prices in Portland up as high as SF, it simply doesn't have the existing actual usefulness SF does as a center of business.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I visited Portland for a conference last year just before the vote on fluoridation and holy poo poo did seeing those lawn signs ever blow my mind.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Install Windows posted:

The insufferability and general whiteness unbound is already there in spades. It simply doesn't have the price congestion because despite having 3/4 the population, it's nearly 3x the physical area. You'd really have to work to drive real estate prices in Portland up as high as SF, it simply doesn't have the existing actual usefulness SF does as a center of business.

Could legal weed accelerate this insufferableness to a degree Google leaves Mountain View and heads for Portland?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

There is no public use for "bus that stops in trendy neighborhood, then runs straight 45 miles to Google HQ".

There's a commuter rail service between Mountain View and San Francisco, why not integrate the buses with that and invest in rail improvements. Or are these Google employees getting picked up at their driveway by the bus like grade schoolers?

This will probably end with Sanctuary Districts, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

Could legal weed accelerate this insufferableness to a degree Google leaves Mountain View and heads for Portland?

Weed is already de facto legal for middle class urban whites.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

McDowell posted:

There's a commuter rail service between Mountain View and San Francisco, why not integrate the buses with that and invest in rail improvements.

A lot of them were very upset when the BART union workers went on strike last year, demanding cost of living wage increases.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Weed is already de facto legal for middle class urban whites.

It's also right across from Washington so anyone smart will just smoke over there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Install Windows posted:

Well if anything Portland is even more white. Portland insufferableness is just a bit different simply because very few Portland are actually well educated (or educated) or have any sort of power (because they have no money), so they are as annoying but not nearly as dangerous.

At worse they are going to spoil and sell a batch of Kombucha.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

There's a commuter rail service between Mountain View and San Francisco, why not integrate the buses with that and invest in rail improvements. Or are these Google employees getting picked up at their driveway by the bus like grade schoolers?

This will probably end with Sanctuary Districts, though.

The entitled people simply don't want to ride it, apparently because they don't want to make the connections from where they live to the rail station, and then another one from the station in Mountain View to their jobs.

Ardennes posted:

Well if anything Portland is even more white. Portland insufferableness is just a bit different simply because very few Portland are actually well educated (or educated) or have any sort of power (because they have no money), so they are as annoying but not nearly as dangerous.

At worse they are going to spoil and sell a batch of Kombucha.

Yes... I just said that Portland is whiteness unbound. That means very white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Install Windows posted:

Yes... I just said that Portland is whiteness unbound. That means very white.

quote:

The insufferability and general whiteness unbound is already there in spades.

My point was that the "general whiteness unbound" that is "already there" (which means you are equivocating both levels of "whiteness") is still in relative terms is whiter than SF.

Alternatively, you could be say that, "The insufferability and general whiteness unbound exceeds San Francisco."

• Locked thread