Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Lycus posted:

Just to move my complaining over here from the chat thread:

And is the plan seriously that the smaller group is going to actually bring food back? That's stupid. Unless there's a VTOL cargo plane at the facility, there's no way they can bring enough food back to last a worthwhile length of time for the whole group. They should've just said "Fine, we're going to the facility and staying there. Anyone who wants to come and have a definite meal instead of trying to be hunter/gatherers can follow us."

Also, since the origins of the Ark are supposed to be multinational, I don't get why the didn't just let Cusick be Scottish. Then they could at least point to one person and say "See! Not everyone in the future is American/Canadian!"

It seems like a century on a space station would be plenty of time for accents to homogenize. It only makes sense that English speaking North American is the default accent because it is a North American English language show. At least this way we are spared dozens of iterations of terrible fake Scottish accents to go along with Cusick's real one, as entertaining as that would be from a certain point of view.

And, yes, I think the plan was to bring back enough dry goods for a couple days, to tide them over and as proof that Mount Whatever is the place to be. Divvied up between the smaller group that wouldn't be too too bad assuming at least a portion is freeze-dried. Joke's on them if it's all canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

^^^ I liked it, too, for those reasons. It added complexity to the brother sister relationship which was pretty bland.

Ravane posted:

I don't know if you're trolling, but
loving :laffo:

Sober posted:

Eh, it's on the CW, so I'll allow it for the first season. I get the feeling it might be mandated. I mean, Nikita had one early on and then it got unceremoniously dropped. Arrow had some of that weirdness as well but now they barely focus on it.

At least here Clarke isn't the one central to the affections of two hot young adults, and is in fact the other part of the triangle (with Finn being the focal point of all people). Unless you mean people shipping Clarke x Bellamy, which I don't see yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it (opposites attract, right?).
The funny thing about love triangles and this show is that everyone is so pretty it's almost harder to see nonchemistry than chemistry. Even the Grounder/Octavia stuff is giving everyone Stockholm Syndrome vibes after their brief interaction. I can see how some viewers might have seen the weird awe/admiration look from Bellamy in the scene where the acid burnt guy got mercy-killed by Cliff as the possible start of attraction.

edit: Clark, Cliff, whatever.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Also I thought the Grounder's cave was really interesting. It looked like it was full of old earth artifacts (like in Oblivion[movie]how Tom Cruise's character collected all the books and records and things). Like maybe part of their culture remembers but mostly it's MurderDeath all the time, and he happens to like to hoard interesting things, like girls who fall down hills and hit their heads.
"I will chain her up next to my Monster High dolls and the Bratz with the burnt hair."

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Ark is probably a lashed together amalgamation of commercial space stations that had enough fuel to meet up. The second you could hand wave pretty easily with just having a bunch of books available for reading before they launched during their jail time, it's not like ebooks take up space.

The show mentioned the cobbling together of existing space stations in the pilot, I think. Also at least one character (Chancellor's son?) talked about Earth Skills as if it should be capitalized like an elective class.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Azhais posted:

Multiple kids have referred to their Earth Skills classes

I know. It was also an episode title. I was just trying to phrase it gently, not in a bitchy, "Did you loving even watch the show," way.

bull3964 posted:

What I'm not sure I buy is how devolved the 'grounders' appear to be. 100 years can be as few as 3 generations in some instances. It's conceivable that someone alive now may have known someone who was alive before this disaster. It also stands to reason that the only people who survived on the surface were those hunkered down in some government bunker somewhere, so there would have been even less reason for a completely collapse of societal norms.

I've been asking myself the same question. I'm curious to see how "feral" they really are and if the explanation makes even one lick of sense. Hopefully the grounders will not all speak Spanish or something.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Because it's fun to watch a group of 100 idiots slowly die off due to their own stupidity.

The 100: It's fun to watch idiots slowly die off due to their own stupidity (Wed. on CW)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Sober posted:

I think that was true for the first half. And then he got the rug pulled out from under him. Remember, he used to be an altar boy (or whatever that kooky tree watering religion his mother and he was formerly of). So he abandoned what was essentially "faith" and initially we see him trying to make everything about hard numbers in regards to survival. I think he was kinda pissed he didn't know about the 100 (not sure if I remember this correctly). He was always pushing the issue about the culling to keep everyone going and thought, just like most people who knew about the 100, that dumping the 100 onto the ground at most bought them a month of air and they were probably all dead anyway without something more extreme or perhaps calculated.

And then the point where the culling happens, and like a day after the 100 call home, it just utterly destroys him. There's probably a bit of him that thinks that if he had only just believed in them, in anything, he could've saved those 300 or so people from having to die, instead of pushing so hard to get it done already.

By the later end of the season though, he kinda is re-evaluating things. Like coming in to save Jaha after the blackout on the Ark. Or thinking that moment when he thinks he should sacrifice himself to get everyone else to the ground. It'll be interesting to see where he goes next season since he is now in an entirely different situation as well.

I really like his character's progression. They did something similar with Bellamy in terms of revealing his apparent mustache twirling to be human and believable. It contrasts with the straight up psychotic rear end in a top hat characters like ex-Chancellor lady from out of left-field and Murphy.

On the Jaha side of things, did anyone else find it strange that the stuff between him and Abby was never developed? I wondered if it is because they decided to kill Jaha and didn't want to distract from or cheapen that self-sacrifice (it was just for his twoo luv not the good of all his people) or if the intent was to develop it later because they plan to keep him alive.

• Locked thread