Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Watching this now and it's...OK. Not great. Typical teenybopper stuff, but the space parts are interesting. At this point I'll watch hoping that it'll get a Revolution style retool and focus away from CharlieClarke and the kids making horny eyes at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ela posted:

Charlotte is pretty creepy.. cool how she uses the same technique as Clarke to kill though, coz of course she watched that happen. She had to know it would do the trick.

I was getting Lizzie on Walking Dead vibes...yet another creepy blonde little girl serial killer.

This episode was a lot better. Pretty ballsy killing off a major character like that. You're getting the idea nobody is safe, which is good. They are making some really strong story choices. If they'd just balance out with more Ark scenes so it was like half and half and get deeper into the mystery of the "Grounders" that were left behind and what kind of civilization is left, it could be a great show.

I mean poo poo, between Henry Ian Cusick and Alessandro Juliani you've got some great actors up there...use them!

I'm definitely giving this more of a shot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rarity posted:

You guys are taking this way too literal

It's a time honored tradition in some shows. :colbert:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 5, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Warmachine posted:

The true litmus will be how pretty their hair is in a few more episodes.

So I "get" this complaint, because I also wonder why CharlieClarke and company didn't just pack everything they could carry and peace out when they realized that 85% of the people who dropped with them were going tribal, but I'm pretty sure that if you somehow replicated this experiment with a bunch of juvenile delinquents in real life, you'd probably get something of a similar spread. Maybe it doesn't make for interesting TV, but hey, MY IMMERSION!

That said, they do need to tackle the food issue at some point. They've so far taken down one buffalo giant dog. If my Oregon Trail experience is any indication, that's not enough food for 90+ people. Even if you exclude the ones you don't like.

fake edit: Regarding the jerk from Continuum (name escapes me), am I the only one who enjoys watching him be an rear end on screen? Kinda sad that the preview looks like they're offing him.

Oh yeah, Alex's brother. Dude is typecaset as Teenage Dick and it's great. Plus if they ever need to have someone play an older version, they cast the perfect guy for him on Continuum already. They won't need to.

I think they way it's being played is that CharlieClarke is conveniently never around when Mr. 101 acts extra douchey and Lords it up over the Flies. It's like Three's Company level hijinks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ravane posted:

I'd like to see a scene where the two headed deer is trying to escape the fog, but one head wants to go left and the other wants to go right.

In the end, it just stands there consumed by indecision.

Or a wacky sitcom with a 2 headed talking deer and neither head can ever agree on anything.

Called "Yes, Deer"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Really starting to wholeheartedly dig this show. It's keeping my interest far more then say, The Tomorrow People, which I missed an ep a few back and have put off watching online because the only reason I'm still there is to watch Pelegrino chew scenery.

This show, though, this is getting legit good. They are doing exactly what I was hoping they would with focusing more on the adults on The Ark and not just the pretty kids on the ground. And I may be stretching (I totally am), but I've convinced myself that their clean hotness on the ground is a stylistic choice to show how dirty and grimy and used up The Ark is (the clothes, walls, etc). Works for me though.

I like the ambiguity of Kane possibly being not a mustache twirling villain. Same with Bellamy.

My theory on the Grounders is that they are just primitive devolved survivors, but I'm holding out that the people in The Bunker they are trying to get to will be full on still operating remnants of the US govt and military, with like a President and everything. They can be devolved and evil, or they can do the twist and have them be actually cool. Either way that's a story I'd like to see them do. Basically either Thunder Mountain or Valhalla Sector from Jeremiah.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Didn't see it mentioned, but the CW has renewed The 100.

I'm happy to hear this. Too bad about Tomorrow People, but that show never really did it for me. I missed an ep and then just never got around to picking it back up. This show has gotten better and better each episode and far exceeded my expectations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

gohmak posted:

There is a pattern of racist treatment of black characters by the 100 colonists. The first black character is stabbed and killed by a white colonists because his skin scared her. The next black character is bullied, given menial chores and urinated on. The third black character is kidnaped, beaten, maimed and whipped like a slave. Return to the second black character is killed off by same bully/urinator.

:rolleyes: Yep, you've cracked the code. It's clearly a white supremacist agenda. Now investigate further, and tell us if it's the Ark people who are In Character racist, the showrunners IRL, or both. Let us know your findings so we can decide how to signal boost it.

Teek posted:

Surely they have to be the descendants of the government people who stayed in the mountain bunker, right? I expect they're setting up a "twist" where relatively normal looking soldiers and scientists emerge to confront them.

Unironically hoping for this. The only question is will they be good guys or assholes?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I keep waiting for another heel turn from Kane.

And hey, who were those guys all dressed alike with guns in the preview?

Soldiers from Mt Weather? :dance:

I hope they are, and I hope it's like that scene in Jericho when the two towns are about to start their little WW3 that was building up the whole season, and the govt troops just come in and steamroll over them all and shut it the gently caress down in 30 seconds.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PowerBeard posted:

The highlight though has to be that poor Redshirt Miles: "Do you even know how I got arrested on the Arc?", he seemed like the most clueless C-List character. Now I want to know what he was doing all season, "Hey guys, remember that time we all got high on berries and I went streaking?"

He reminded me of Arzt from Lost, just with less of a bad attitude. "Wow, I've always wanted to hang out with the main characters! This is great!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was pretty much exactly the ending I was hoping for. Mt Weather Mountain Men: CONFIRMED.

I love how, just like in Jericho, the pathetic battles among the dirty hoi polloi are rolled over by The Government. :allears:

I wonder how the Mt Weather dudes knew Clarke's name? It was on her camera feed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Agreed. I thought this show was going to be terrible teenybopper crap, and I was way wrong. Pleasant surprise indeed.

CODChimera posted:

Yeah, they wouldn't kill them off screen and miss Clarke seeing it.

So what's the deal with Mount Weather? Do we know anything about it or is it just an unknown faction at this point? That was actually pretty good, I'll probably pay more attention to the 2nd season.

What PowerBeard said. Mount Weather IRL is a "Continuity of Government" facility where the civilian govt (ie Congress) is supposed to go in event of a nuclear or other attack. This is different from Raven Rock or NORAD/Cheyenne Mountain which are military facilities. Though of course there would be a nominal amount of soldiers there for defense. Supposedly members of Congress were evacuated to there on 9/11.

One interesting thing from the Wikipedia page on it is this:

quote:

Between 1979 and 1981, the National Gallery of Art developed a program to transport valuable paintings in its collection to Mount Weather via helicopter. The success of the relocation would depend upon how far in advance warning of an attack was received.[14]
The producers seem to have done their homework on this one, judging by the Van Gogh in Clarke's room. The fact that they can stick a famous painting into one of dozens or hundreds of presumably little used quarantine rooms would indicate a surplus of art, grabbed before the attacks or even on expeditions over the past 100 years.

At risk of extrapolating way too much from what little we saw, I noticed a couple of other things. The sign outside Clarke's room saying "quarantine facility" may indicate a fear of biological contamination perhaps bordering on paranoia. The stark white cleanliness of the room and neat uniforms of the soldiers may show us that Mt Weather has had better supplies or access to better salvage compared to the run down, threadbare Ark.

It's also worth noting, as CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK did, that the Mountain Men sat back and let things play out between the 100 and the Grounders and Reapers. In fact, the very notion that the Ark people had that the 100 could just go to Mt Weather and it would be empty and waiting for them indicates that the Mountain Men have had zero interest in contacting the Ark over the past 100 years. They must have noticed the 2 landings and crash, plus the signal rockets being fired. Most likely, if they know Clarke's name, they have been monitoring transmissions. I can imagine that the people on the independent stations and the eventual Ark spent a ton of time in the first 20 years or so trying to find survivors, and I can see maybe that the transmission facilities at Mt Weather might have been damaged at first but I find it more difficult to believe they never were able to salvage outside stuff and repair them.

The question becomes why would the Mountain Men not want to talk to the Ark, or involve themselves until the last minute? Extreme paranoia? Xenophobia? Do they consider the American descendents on the Ark citizens or traitors? One thing we don't know fully is how the nuclear war played out and what sides were involved. I presume besides the 13th station which I don't think has been fully identified by nationality, the rest in orbit let bygones be bygones and linked up, which might have rankled the surviving US Govt in Mt Weather. Hell, they might still be wanting to fight the war to this day.

Also I firmly do not believe we've seen the last of Jaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kane has such a great heel/face turn too. I really like him because he's got that slight edge to him where he's good now, but you never know when he might start making dark decisions again. He won't take poo poo from the Mountain Men, that's for sure.

• Locked thread