Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So we knew Nakamura's decision was leading to something with Okada, but this is very interesting...

quote:

This is apparently to plant seeds for an Okada vs. Nakamura program down the line, but not during this Okada title reign. The idea is that Nakamura chose Tanahashi’s title instead of Okada’s, because Okada is his stablemate in the Chaos group and frequent tag team partner, while Tanahashi is his rival that pinned him both at the Tokyo Dome on 1/4, but also at the New Beginning show on 2/9 in Hiroshima.

That could be Dave choosing the wrong words, but it sounds like Okada is losing the title before most of us assumed. Dave also said recently that AJ Styles is getting such a large push that it might backfire, I wonder if AJ is going to win the title in Yokohama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Okada takes the move wrong and murders AJ on live iPPV. Is this a thing you want to see?

If Okada tried to shoot on AJ, AJ would probably kick his rear end.

AJ Styles is still a great wrestler and now he's wrestling people I haven't been conditioned not to care about for 10 years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I doubt they'd do anything storyline-wise, if I were NJPW I would use this as a chance to test AJ out with opponents you want to feud him with back in Japan. I don't think their home fans will be watching the ROH shows, so it's a good time to test out matchups.

The whole point of the trip is to have some footage and magazine coverage of their stars in the US so they should use the chance to build AJ's matches a bit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you aren't psyched about AJ here is a reminder that while he can say some stupid stuff he can also say some cool stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYd9fAZzPA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

No. No he did not.

Not the IWGP title, but for tag titles, TenCozy keep getting shots and they're loving awful these days. Tenzan especially.

They are perfectly fine and the crowd is into everything they do. Their match on the last iPPV was actually rather good. I may be in the minority but I didn't feel that Jax Dane carried it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

harperdc posted:

They're the New Age Outlaws of Japan. At Dontaku last year, they got the biggest reception of the night after the top three guys (Okada, Tanahashi, and Nakamura, in that order if memory serves). Their act is well known, their spots are well known, Koji can go enough to carry them. It's sad, and they need more heavyweight non-gaijin tag teams to help the division. Maybe Makabe plus somebody else should drop down and take a run at the belts?

Dave's right -- third show in a week in Tokyo, no IWGP title defense, and biggest crowd in a while? Dang. Things are picking up.

There's another side to that crowd. Reports were that the advance was better than KoPW 2013 and that a sell out was possible and in the end it fell short of KoPW. So they did a big crowd, but the way they booked the show could be looked at as a negative since the crowd didn't live up to the advance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Why hasn't NJPW sent my check yet? They blatantly stole their booking for AJ from the ROH thread. Jado and Gedo live their gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

I went to the show last night in Taipei. Was thinking of going again tonight but I'd be doing it alone as opposed to last night when I had 5 guys with me.

The show was pretty fun. It was your regular house show but better than the ones WWE does when they roll through because WWE just seems to send 1 big name and a bunch of midcarder geeks. New Japan sent pretty much the entire top tier of talent. None of the guys worked terribly hard being a house show and all and the matches went maybe 10~ minutes most of the time, with a couple going a bit longer.

Main event with Okada/Tanahashi/Nakamura was great. Tanahashi stuck around and did air guitar for the crowd for 15 minutes. Crowd totally loved him and he won with the High Fly Flow on Takahashi. He was definitely the biggest star, Okada got a big reaction as did Nakamura. I thought Nakamura was the best on the show. The way he moves, his whole act is just great, very unique and entertaining. Every moment he does in some stylized manner and it really makes him stand out.

Fun show, ran about 3 hours. They were pretty much out of shirts by intermission though so they should bring a lot more. I wanted to get a pair of red and black NJPW shirts but they were all out of XXL for both and only had XL left in Black so I got one of those. Was going to replace the Red shirt with a rainmaker shirt but they were almost out of those as well, no XLs left. I didn't care for any of Tanahashi's shirts so I got a NJPW 'Strong Style' shirt.

Random Taiwanese model doing the ring introduction announced Bad Luck Fale as Bad Luck FAIL, pretty funny.

None of the guys I went with were wrestling fans and $60USD was a lot to pay for the tickets but they all had a great time and really got into it, were having a great time, and agreed that we need to see [wrestling] the next time a show comes here.

Was it a good sized crowd?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think it's cool that NJPW has decided every major iPPV of the year will include a WMOTYC as well as at least one MOTYC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sakuraba and Nakamura is a tag team from an Inoki wet dream.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Styles was one of the few TNA wrestlers with an actual heavy workload comparable to a WWE schedule before they started cutting back on house shows. I'm sure he'll be able to handle the tours, because even though he is away for chunks of time, he won't be jetting off in a few days either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

His TNA work is the latter but now that he was back on the indie scene he was real good again but some dumb people blamed him for sloppy Styles Clashes that people hosed up taking

His actual matches are real good, check the MOTY thread for the ones worth watching after he departed TNA

The dude was still killing himself in his TNA matches, he definitely cared about his work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Illinois Smith posted:

People are really loving paranoid about AJ joining the company. He's not taking the belt off Okada and he's not automatically getting Bullet Club leadership over Anderson.

Meltzer has been prone to hint at stuff he knows but can't say and he was hinting that the belt was changing hands soon before AJ signed while also talking about AJ getting a big push that the fans might reject. Now that AJ has signed he's openly talking about the possibility AJ might win it (although not stating that is definitely the plan.) It sounds like it is a distinct possibility.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

That was what I was thinking after Meltzer's reference to Okada vs. Nakamura not being in the plans for "this title reign", but then why put the IC back on Shinsuke at Invasion Attack?

Maybe so he could go into a potential title match as champion and do a champion vs champion match. If that scenario happens I'm guessing the G-1 will be for a shot at either belt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

So the Gracies are confirmed as being on every show then, yeah?

Michael Tarver will be available when they are not. Elsewhere on the card The Most Improved Player will be having MOTYCs with Nakanishi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

Who is that clownshoe challenging Kojima?

He is the son of the less talented Brisco Brother and was one of the less talented members of Aces and Eights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The way I see it is if NJPW sees someone as a junior it is unlikely they are going to do much with them on a main event level. If they see someone as a heavyweight long term they might start them off with junior stuff and move them up as they age and "fill out." For a company that was known for its incredible juniors they haven't done much with the division in years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

Really excited to see AJ Styles win the IWGP Championship this morning.

gently caress, I thought that was tomorrow in the sense of Sunday morning. Compatible time zones should have been one of the terms signed on the Missouri. Thanks a lot Truman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

Why does the stuff with the Gracies keep going? It is awful. Are the Gracies super famous in Japan or something?

WWE became #1 in the world off the back of stiffs who couldn't work so NJPW is trying the same thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ishii needs to beat Ibushi and then cut weight to challenge for the Jr title. His career will go full circle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

harperdc posted:

Oh god in heaven, two separate Gracie matches :gonk:

I have a feeling Daniel vs Nakamura will actually be good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

so now that the Bullet Club has the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, I'm guessing that officially makes them 'Dominant Heel Faction', right?

Can someone give like, an overview of the Bullet Club for someone like me, who hasn't been following too closely and only watches a few matches?

Prince Devitt and Karl Anderson hit Tanahashi with a bullet train and then declared themselves the Bullet Club, video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw3GYt7fTU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

so now that the Bullet Club has the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, I'm guessing that officially makes them 'Dominant Heel Faction', right?

Can someone give like, an overview of the Bullet Club for someone like me, who hasn't been following too closely and only watches a few matches?

In reality Devitt had been acting like a heel for months and teamed up with Fale while Karl Anderson was in a rivalry with Tanahashi that seemed friendly. After Tanahashi beat Anderson again, Devitt and Fale came down to the ring and stomped Tanahashi with Anderson joining in, announcing themselves as the Bullet Club. The name kind of suggested that Anderson would be the head, given he's Machine Gun but it was more a Devitt stable for his feud with Tanahashi and then Okada. The Young Bucks joined in the fall, as did Doc Gallows who won the tag titles with Anderson. Devitt lost a Loser Leaves Town match at Invasion Attack with his former partner Taguchi (who Devitt turned on before the formation of the Bullet Club) and AJ Styles debuted after the main event to lay out Okada and is the new leader.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

I don't like Anderson's stone cold gear he should get a Scott Norton singlet imo

Agreed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Ishii/Honma received ****1/2 snowflakes, Styles/Okada ***3/4. He also called Ishii "probably the best big match wrestler in the world right now".

I'll add this in here since he's come over for Fantasticmanias and there's no lucha thread:

I think that gimmick's cursed now :smith:

Oh and wtf?

Is that supposed to be reversed? I didn't think Hogan was ever IWGP champ and Inoki was the first. I know he was angling to win it later in his career but Mutoh politicked him out of it.

Initially the IWGP was decided by tournaments which is why it has Grand Prix in the name. Hogan won the first tournament.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I think that's why Hogan's finisher in Japan was the lariat. He legit knocked Inoki out with one.

This is a technicality but Inoki wasn't knocked out by a botched lariat, Inoki was knocked out when he hit his head on the floor taking the bump. Just so no one thinks Hogan hosed up and knocked a dude out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

harperdc posted:

And I think that's how/why lariats got so over, too.

Hansen was already a huge deal by this point. Hogan was given the move because it was already credible and the leg drop wouldn't get over.

AXE BOMBA!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hope they get taken to a Cracker Barrel while they are here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

Going to be tough to get a big show feel going if the arena is only half full. Hopefully the walkup is huge, but I don't know why anything would have changed in the past few days. Is this the first year they've gone with a May show as the presumed #3 show of the year? For the past few years I've looked at it like January Dome show > G-1 Final > King of Pro Wrestling at the Dome in October as the big show order.

Ishii/Ibushi (I assume this is what you meant) is almost worth the price of admission by itself, but I don't have much faith in any of the other matches. The IWGP match could be good, but the crowd not feeling it and possibly only filling half the building isn't going to make it feel like a big defense. Other than that, you have to hope the Tanahashi tag match clicks I guess. Not like I'm going to skip the show, just a matter of deciding on waking up in the middle of the night to watch it.

They didn't announce the full card until really late so if there is any card that will do a bigger than expected walk up it is this one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I'd rank Styles #2 for best wrestler of the year behind Ishii and put Adam Cole at #3. Styles has a good chance of having a better second half as I think his NJPW matches will get longer and he'll have more ROH main events.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If NJPW's revenue wasn't up a billion percent in the first few months of the year you could argue all the iPPVs are a bad idea. It might even be a bad idea long term, but it seems like the audience for these things gets difference between big shows and small shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Biosys posted:

Mascara Dorada is in as well, I remember his match at Fantasticamania being amazing (and I think he's only been in multi-man openers since then???), so looking forward to more singles with him.

I remember seeing the only reason they were even in the Yokohama arena was that Bushiroad had the venue booked for a event and they just decided to book two days, which is prob. why the card wasn't really a worth putting in such a big venue, as they likely didn't plan for it.

They announced the show on January 4th, they had plenty of time to plan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I feel like the fawning over Ishii is a little much. Before I get lynched yes he is absolutely great and one of my favourite NJPW guys but his matches have looked pretty similar lately and I kind of hate all the fighting spirit spots, strike battles and 1-kickouts. Those are all good spots only when used (very) sparingly and he way overuses them.

Kicking out at one is probably the most underused thing in major league wrestling. Hell it might be underused on the indies too since guys like nearfalls so much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

even Taichi looks like a real doll in those pictures what the heck

It's just a basic photoshop filter that when applied automatically by a photobooth like that is going to look pretty silly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

Kind of sucks that they have Nakamura and Naito stuck in matches that aren't going to be any good. And if you'd told me Bad Luck Fale would be in the main event of two tour-ending shows this year, I definitely would not have believed you.

Nakamura just had a great match with Fale two months ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LvK posted:

He doesn't count. He can't count. After Satoru Sayama, Mitsuharu Misawa, Koji Kanemoto, and Yoshihiro Yamazaki, losing the alliteration just ain't right.

His name is Minowa Man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

With the general attendance and interest issues they've been having, I'd also expect a loaded G-1 card, personally. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them save Okada/Tanahashi for the final night. I guess we're getting close to them announcing the G-1 groups. I think last year it was on an iPPV Road to Kizuna Road show.

Yokohama Arena was the only show they've done with poor attendance. Overall they've had a great year at the gate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gun Club vs Bullet Club on January 4th 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Not wanting to do iPPVs because you're too lazy to deal with customers having issues is pretty loving lame and pathetic.

If you aren't getting that much revenue from it how pathetic is it? They didn't have the proper staff to deal with it.

• Locked thread