Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I have a lot to thank for with games, without Loaded I wouldn't have found Pop Will Eat Itself so early, nor Pitch Shifter thanks to Twisted Metal III. And basically everything in Red Asphalt changed my musical direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Pop Will Eat Itself

hah, I remember seeing these guys on a '90s tv show in England called The Word. They also had Sepultura on one time and it was ace. L7 too.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

hah, I remember seeing these guys on a '90s tv show in England called The Word. They also had Sepultura on one time and it was ace. L7 too.

drat that sounds sweet!
Heavy stuff never got a lot of TV coverage in Aus, we did have Recovery though, which was mid-late 90's at it's best.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Slipknot were on TFI Friday once, but that's the only time I can remember seeing anything heavy on terrestrial tv

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

drat that sounds sweet!
Heavy stuff never got a lot of TV coverage in Aus, we did have Recovery though, which was mid-late 90's at it's best.

I was surprised we got stuff like Sepultura on The Word, it was the epitome of trendy and metal coverage in the UK was rare outside of Headbanger's Ball, the Kerrang TV show and some other one I forget the name of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDXYIKhtSY

For the Sepultura gig they had a giant cage in the studio full of metalheads, unleashing them for a stagerush right as Sepultura came on stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfA-7ot2k4

Bonus CoC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebpwjj32vew

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Well, we did have a couple of late night shows for metal, usually only on cable tv and they were always very, very cheap.
The only 'live' stuff would be footage of a local band at a pub gig.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So BTW good man Trent is showing just how incredible he is at code and he released this:
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29151

the oval office group is having almost daily 10-12 player MP games right now and it's amazing amount of fun, you should really join that thing and play some big MP games.

These things get pretty fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdrjL_Yhwo
PS: I am bad at this game.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

On the dubstep stuff, Morgue did cop a lot of poo poo for his contributions (hardly any of it was actually dubstep, mind) and that went a ways to making the poor guy feel pretty poo poo, it wasn't fun to see.

I think what he bought to the game was a modernised since of absurdity and fun musically which is befitting to the game and can be viewed as somewhat mocking those who hate it.
Nobby made a good call throwing that spanner in the works, I think.

The whole point of Carmageddon is to be as childishly edgy as possible, and the music fits that perfectly.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

The whole point of Carmageddon is to be as childishly edgy as possible, and the music fits that perfectly.

I think this is what I meant, doesn't say much for my own music in any case, but that Morgue's fits in with the modern, updated nature of it all, where as MSP hangs on more to the legacy of the old game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I think this is what I meant, doesn't say much for my own music in any case, but that Morgue's fits in with the modern, updated nature of it all, where as MSP hangs on more to the legacy of the old game.

Music that fully embraces its own ridiculousness is the perfect match for a game that does the same. Carmageddon's always plunged itself balls-deep into the British "filthier than your mum after I got done last night" school of humour. There's something patently ridiculous about dubstep and, as with heavy metal, the best only comes when you give yourself over to it completely.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dubstep suits the game just fine. An over the top game needs over the top music. Both heavy metal and dubstep work just fine.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Had some time to myself over the last two weeks and found I couldn't stop myself from dipping into Reincarnation. With all the patches it's had and the flashy new rig I've got, it runs wonderfully and I find myself getting consumed by nostalgia. It had its teething troubles but I think Stainless should be chuffed with the work they put in, I'm really excited about the prospect of more with the new release on the horizon.

I put together a little movie now that I've got a rig that's capable of doing the game justice, hopefully I did too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyddzdB97Es

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Good video, thumbs up.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Songbearer posted:

Had some time to myself over the last two weeks and found I couldn't stop myself from dipping into Reincarnation. With all the patches it's had and the flashy new rig I've got, it runs wonderfully and I find myself getting consumed by nostalgia. It had its teething troubles but I think Stainless should be chuffed with the work they put in, I'm really excited about the prospect of more with the new release on the horizon.

I put together a little movie now that I've got a rig that's capable of doing the game justice, hopefully I did too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyddzdB97Es

Oh man this reminds me of fiddling with the Carma 2 crash cam, I thought it was the most ingenious feature at its time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Apparently, Outside Xbox uploaded some gameplay footage from the console versions of Carmageddon: Max Damage a couple of months ago and I didn't notice until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBftsCGo80

The video is somewhat low quality (don't know if the game will be 720p or if it's just the video), but the frame rate on the ports looks pretty good already. Anyway, what I actually came to post was the new trailer, with some fine music (can't go wrong with the Peer Gynt suite):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZN4rddpA0

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Caravanning is so charmingly British.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
As a wheelchair user I approve of the disabled peds.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nobby and Shane played a bit of the PS4 version of Max Damage on stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU3BP589YIM

Important stuff:

- The loading times are brutal on console, but performance looks solid
- PC version of Max Damage to be released some time after the console versions, not "many many months" after, though
- Stainless are looking to bring Carmageddon 2 to "something sometime soon"
- A new mobile Carmageddon game is also in the works and you can sign up to playtest it RIGHT NOW
- In-car camera has been added to Max Damage, complete with the steering wheel getting bloody
- No cross-platform multiplayer between console and PC, although I doubt anyone expected that in the first place
- The caravans/trailers seem to be firmly in the "pretty funny but useless" category, as they act more or less like a bigger mutant tail thing powerup. Speaking of which, you can attach a mutant tail thing to a caravan. Can't chain two caravans together, though
- The desert level looks great
- CAR SPLITTING (yes I know that was shown in the trailers but man, I've missed that)
- Aliens seem to be immune to giant anvils
- Opponents finally get stunned when you give them a good whack, which is something I've wanted in this game since the first pre-alpha of Reincarnation over two years ago
- Cars' performance has been tweaked based on feedback from players
- Generally, this looks like the game they should have released in the first place

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
if we bought reincarnation do we get the preorder bonuses?

i want my 2 car foreskins.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Unfortunately not. Nobby said the preorder stuff will most likely be available as regular DLC later, though, and Kickstarter backers get all the DLC for free forever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Unfortunately not. Nobby said the preorder stuff will most likely be available as regular DLC later, though, and Kickstarter backers get all the DLC for free forever.

So as a backer, will i get the new edition for free? Or do I need to purchase it again like some developers do?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I thought i read that if you have reincarnation on pc, you get the new version automagically when it's out...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Guillermus posted:

So as a backer, will i get the new edition for free?
Yes, everyone who owns Reincarnation gets the new version for free.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's cool then. Let's see if this new version is what the game should have been in the first place.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Carmageddon: Max Damage PS4 trip report:

- Feels like a solid 30 fps
- Handling seems to have been tweaked, the Hawk-R stays on the road far better than it used to
- Damage model is improved, and being able to stun opponents with big crashes makes combat a lot more enjoyable
- Looks, sounds and feels more like a finished product than Reincarnation ever did
- Loading times are very long on the stock PS4 HDD
- The sound effect for the temporary rapture powerup is at least three times louder than other sounds, which will probably be fixed in a patch

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Grabbed it this morning since the regular version turns my PC into a molten ball. My loading times are ok, baring in mind my pc was taking about 4 minutes to start a level

I'm pretty sure they took the strip club out of Bleak City, which is understandable!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

4 minutes? Holy poo poo! :gonk: My load times in Reincarnation were maybe a minute long at worst, and when I got an SSD they were cut down to maybe 15 seconds. Of course, long load times are nothing new when it comes to console games, Bloodborne for example was almost unplayable at launch.

The strip club is still there in the Bleak City level, the entrance is less obvious now but the Maim Street route still takes you past it. Using a ped detonator inside the club did cause a pretty big frame drop, but performance has been solid overall.

edit: I was considering putting this thread to pasture and starting a new one for Carmageddon: Max Damage, to kinda get a fresh start like Stainless themselves are trying to do with C:MD. I'll keep this open for now, as I need to get some screenshots and stuff if I'm doing a new OP.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 8, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I backed Reincarnation, is there any way I can get Max Damage on PS4 for free or do I have to buy it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

You have to buy the console version, but if you have Reincarnation on PC you get Max Damage for free once the PC version comes out.

Reviews are coming in, and aside from a 4/5 verdict from Hardcore Gamer (and a reviewer who was familiar with the series) it's not looking great. A lot of vitriol and unfavorable comparisons to Twisted Metal, GTA and loving Watch_Dogs.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sometimes i wonder if any of these reviewers ever played a game in they life.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The majority of our favorable opinions stem from nostalgia though so they're probably not objectively wrong...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Despite my gigantic nostalgia glasses for Carmageddon 2 I'll be the first to admit that this game is certainly not perfect. Stainless followed the original Carmageddon design to a fault (so we get bullshit like the AI ganging up on you and the cops targeting only your car), but some of these reviews read like they were playing Carmageddon 64 or something. They don't even elaborate why the handling is supposedly bad and not fun, and if they do it still reads like they were playing a completely different game.

Eh, whatever. I'll make the Max Damage thread and close this one so we'll have a new place to talk about this horrible lovely game.

EDIT: CLICK HERE FOR NEW AND IMPROVED(?) THREAD!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Doc Morbid posted:

You have to buy the console version, but if you have Reincarnation on PC you get Max Damage for free once the PC version comes out.

Reviews are coming in, and aside from a 4/5 verdict from Hardcore Gamer (and a reviewer who was familiar with the series) it's not looking great. A lot of vitriol and unfavorable comparisons to Twisted Metal, GTA and loving Watch_Dogs.

"Games Journalism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the next game update will feature games journalists as a new ped type.

• Locked thread