Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How's online working? Im stuck in work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Currently downloaded the beta, will come back to talk about performance and netcode and such when its done. My buddies and I would play tons of carmageddon at lan parties so this is pretty nostalgic for me. I'm pretty excited about this release.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hosed around with it a bit yesterday evening and it seems so loving hard to kill the computer players. Not to mention I couldn't get rebinding or power up selection to work

Still, it felt way more like carma than TDR2k

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Feels fantastic compared to the last beta. The AI is really bad (nothing new) but also very easily wrecked. Some of the new powerups are amazing, try the banana one if you find it.

My complaints are that it still needs to run more smoothly, it could use some better lighting that wasn't so harsh and the peds look like they are from an original Xbox game.

Help I'm made out of glass :ohdear:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 14, 2015

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
If you play the death part in deathrace against SERIOUS RACERS they get really mad and ragequit fast. It's amusing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Performance is still far from optimal, but it is definitely an improvement over the last prealpha. It does seem like the framerates get worse the longer you play, as the first couple of races I did ran absolutely fine on high settings and the last few... not so well. i7-4770k, GTX 780.

TheCoach posted:

If you play the death part in deathrace against SERIOUS RACERS they get really mad and ragequit fast. It's amusing.
...there are people who play Carmageddon as a serious racing game? :psypop:

edit: if there's interest, I could set up a Steam group so we don't have to play multiplayer with pubbies.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: if there's interest, I could set up a Steam group so we don't have to play multiplayer with pubbies.

Please do. This poo poo would be hilarious with a coordinated uncoordinated group

Carecat posted:

Feels fantastic compared to the last beta. The AI is really bad (nothing new) but also very easily wrecked. Some of the new powerups are amazing, try the banana one if you find it.

They really tweaked with the balance of multiplayer. It used to be heaviest car wins, now since the power ups are sooooooo powerful the faster smaller cars have a advantage

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

All right, we've got ourselves a group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/carmagoon

Public because :effort:. If we somehow get a bunch of pubbies showing up, I'll make it invite-only but I doubt that'll be necessary.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When is the final release date? I'm keeping an eye on this for when it goes on sale.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Final release date more specific than "this year" hasn't been announced yet. The beta is essentially feature-complete (aside from car splitting still not being in) and just needs some more polish and optimization, though, so it shouldn't take too long.

edit: I love how everyone is complaining about the new music. DUBSTEP IN MY CARMAGEDDON :qq: (is it even dubstep, I'm too old and out of touch to tell what electronic music is dubstep unless it's really over the top like the dubstep gun from Saints Row IV)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
As far as I can tell there's like one dubstep song anyway

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Okay, now the group is open to join. I could have sworn I made it public earlier, but guess not. :downs:

edit: I think Stainless' insistence on having the cops only hassle the player (nobby said it wouldn't be fair if they also tried to wreck opponents, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) is dumb and makes events such as Checkpoint Stampede more frustrating and unfair than they should be considering that you lose a point every time you get wrecked. They're still not exactly hard, but that poo poo is annoying nonetheless.

quote:

the dubstep i mean shitstep tracks all suck, just don't doesn't fit game style to me, having hard time to really getting into the carmageddon, though the car engine sounds by default tend add a constant noise over the 'music' if that is what you call it.

At least they still got the fearfactory theme from past carmageddon, shame they couldn't find better tracks. I don't recall any dubstep CR2.
:reject: dubstep i mean shitstep

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 14, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So to all of you talking about playing in multiplayer... how is it unlocked for you? There's a big fat lock beside multiplayer on my end and I have no idea what I need to do to unlock or why it would need to be unlocked.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

King Vidiot posted:

So to all of you talking about playing in multiplayer... how is it unlocked for you? There's a big fat lock beside multiplayer on my end and I have no idea what I need to do to unlock or why it would need to be unlocked.
It's a known bug:

"Q: Multiplayer shows as locked when I launch the game
A: Multiplayer is locked if the game fails a game data validation check on launch. This can be due to missing data, additional game content or broken/modified game data. To fix this you'll need to remove any additional game content and then use Steams 'Verifiy integrity of game cache' option. This can be found by right clicking the game in your library and clicking the 'Local Files' tab."

So yeah, try verifying the cache or removing mods if you have any.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Hooray it's a game now! Christ those loading times though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Morbid posted:

It's a known bug:

"Q: Multiplayer shows as locked when I launch the game
A: Multiplayer is locked if the game fails a game data validation check on launch. This can be due to missing data, additional game content or broken/modified game data. To fix this you'll need to remove any additional game content and then use Steams 'Verifiy integrity of game cache' option. This can be found by right clicking the game in your library and clicking the 'Local Files' tab."

So yeah, try verifying the cache or removing mods if you have any.

I was about to say "I don't think I have any mods" and in fact I tried verifying my cache and it didn't work so I uninstalled the game.

Then I checked my folder to find modified files from 2014 and remembered that I downloaded some kind of track pack or custom cars or something :doh:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: I love how everyone is complaining about the new music. DUBSTEP IN MY CARMAGEDDON :qq: (is it even dubstep, I'm too old and out of touch to tell what electronic music is dubstep unless it's really over the top like the dubstep gun from Saints Row IV)

IRC posted:

<Razor> I take it that it's not wise to go on carma.com forums right now?
<Errol> razor, most definitely not
<Errol> the retards are swarming

All the decent people seem to be on #carmageddon channel on slashnet, along with a few of the developers(shane is definitely there).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, Errol, I recognize that name from Carma2 modding.

So far I'm quite liking this. Only getting 30-40fps on a fairly new computer, but its totally playable. Load times are a bit crappy though.

Pelvic Thrust is a really solid powerup.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Pelvic Thrust used to be horrendously overpowered (read: amazing) in the early pre-alpha builds. They've nerfed it quite a bit since then, but it's still a fun powerup to use. It even works when you're reversing!

My favorite new powerup in the beta has to be the anvil launcher. :black101:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
The leap from closed alpha to this open beta is kind of amazing if I'm honest. Hopefully a few more performance enhancements and I'll be happy that I backed it so long ago.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

Pelvic Thrust used to be horrendously overpowered (read: amazing) in the early pre-alpha builds. They've nerfed it quite a bit since then, but it's still a fun powerup to use. It even works when you're reversing!

Anvil launcher is the best. :black101:

Does anyone know if the cop cars are unlockable?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mr.Citrus posted:

Anvil launcher is the best. :black101:

Does anyone know if the cop cars are unlockable?

According to Nobby they are unlocked the way they were in Carma1. So cheating or beating the game

Has anyone tried typing swears in the main menu yet?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Jesus, how could I forget about the anvil launcher? That went from "what?" to "holy gently caress" in a few short seconds.

New game modes seem kinda neat, can't say I care a ton for Death Race vs. AI.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
Well this game crashed so hard I saw what the blue screen of death looks like in windows 8.1

When I got back into the game it crashed again and a window popped up stating:

"Bugger: The game about crashing has crashed. Oh the irony."

I gotta hand it to the devs for having a good sense of humor.

Edit: It's now crashing consistently. Guess I'll have to sit this one out until there's a fix.

Stentorian Hoot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 15, 2015

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Shoehead posted:

According to Nobby they are unlocked the way they were in Carma1. So cheating or beating the game

Except Suppressor APC, that one was legit if you could wreck it when you meet it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Edit: It's now crashing consistently. Guess I'll have to sit this one out until there's a fix.
Are you on an nVidia card? I had this and got it fixed by updating my drivers.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

The Kins posted:

Are you on an nVidia card? I had this and got it fixed by updating my drivers.

I do and I have the most up to date drivers as of 2/10. I think some of the crashing is related to having to do a system restore after the first bad crash. I'm going to do a re-install and see if that helps.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I'm playing it on a laptop that's maybe five years old and I'm getting frame rates of around one frame per second even with all the settings at their lowest. I'm fairly sure it meets the recommended spec though. Have I missed anything vital or am I just buggered?

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Does anyone know what happened to having peds in multiplayer? The game feels really empty and bland without them, and Stainless originally said they would be in.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
If you are crashing on startup, just after the splash screen, and are on Win7: try installing this Windows update

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh man, this game is really feeling like a proper Carmageddon game now.

Jesus it's so much fun. Definitely more Carmageddon 1/2 than TDR (thank gently caress)

Was doing a checkpoint scramble race thing in that level where you can literally drive up buildings. One checkpoint was on the side of a building. I used a turbo, barreled up the side of the building then flew off, did a flip in mid air then drove down the building next to it and right at the bottom smashed into another car and wrecked them.

Tried to use the action replay function to catch that moment and the game crashed :(

Game is still very much a beta but it's come on leaps and bounds from what it was. Definitely needs a ton more optimization, but I have no doubt that's coming.

e: Glad to see all the cool combos are still in. Got into a tunnel with everyone else, got pinball mode and opponent repulsificator...

Everyone blew the gently caress up.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 15, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This beta is exactly what I was waiting for. The game feels so awesome now even if there are optimisation issues. My gtx970 beats it mostly I to submission but there are frame rate issues if I stay in the same race for a long time, and if I use object repulsificator with lots of physics objects nearby it absolutely crawls. I will get in on the steam group and play some MP tomorrow, wanna smash some goons up. Also protip for Fox N Hounds vs AI - find a kangaroo on command and hide on top of something. I like all the game modes, though the crash fest destruction derby one is frustrating in certain maps (industrial core map with the big crusher :argh: )

Another thing, anyone know if there is rhyme or reason to how/where/when upgrade tokens spawn? Sometimes I won't see any despite searching, one time on Dusty Trails I found 6 in one race.

Game is awesome, totally glad I made a kickstarter account for it.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Pyromancer posted:

Except Suppressor APC, that one was legit if you could wreck it when you meet it.

:getin:

I used a fully upgraded Plow and a concrete car pick up, and it still took two hits.

Also, is there any "Peds show on map" or similar p-up? Even with Stella Stunna and her infinite electro-bastard ray, finding all the peds on the larger maps is near impossible and incredibly un-fun.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

AirRaid posted:

This beta is exactly what I was waiting for. The game feels so awesome now even if there are optimisation issues. My gtx970 beats it mostly I to submission but there are frame rate issues if I stay in the same race for a long time, and if I use object repulsificator with lots of physics objects nearby it absolutely crawls. I will get in on the steam group and play some MP tomorrow, wanna smash some goons up. Also protip for Fox N Hounds vs AI - find a kangaroo on command and hide on top of something. I like all the game modes, though the crash fest destruction derby one is frustrating in certain maps (industrial core map with the big crusher :argh: )

Another thing, anyone know if there is rhyme or reason to how/where/when upgrade tokens spawn? Sometimes I won't see any despite searching, one time on Dusty Trails I found 6 in one race.

Game is awesome, totally glad I made a kickstarter account for it.

I think Nobby said the tokens spawn based off what chapter you're in and how many tokens you already have. If you're running low it will spawn them like crazy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nyyen posted:

Also, is there any "Peds show on map" or similar p-up? Even with Stella Stunna and her infinite electro-bastard ray, finding all the peds on the larger maps is near impossible and incredibly un-fun.
They supposedly added it in one of the pre-alpha builds, but I've never seen it and I don't think anyone else has either.

I really have no idea why they decided to make "complete all Classic Carma races in ALL THREE WAYS" a requirement for 100% in career, because who's going to even want to do that poo poo? I think Nobby described it as "replay value" or "more gameplay content" on the latest stream and it was also a thing in the mobile version of Carma 1, but goddamn.

Speaking of replay value, I also don't really care for the "every car has its own separate upgrades" system. All it does is make me not want to try the cars I'm unlocking because their stats are awful. I kinda get what they were trying to do, but I don't think anyone ever complained about the old system with shared upgrades and this just feels like a bunch of busywork to me.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Is anyone else getting Val Hella on literally every race? I even get two of her at once in about a quarter of my races. It wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have to buy a new set of tires when ever I passed within a quarter mile.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally started playing again now that it's in Beta. Are the cars made of paper now? Specifically, just my car? I barely make any profits on the races as I'm constantly repairing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

You start off pretty fragile, but it's not too bad once you install an armor upgrade or two.

Cop APCs will still wreck your poo poo, though. gently caress those guys.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
If you start getting a lot of crashes and such, verify the Steam cache. I had a couple quick crashes in less than an hour after playing for a few hours. Verifying the cache found something like 158 missing or corrupted files and re-downloading them seemed to fix my crash problems.

Has anyone found any of the smelly bushes? I have no clue what I'm even looking for with those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I found one. They're basically little collectibles like the upgrade tokens hidden in certain levels. Keep searching around and you're bound to find them, they're brightly coloured.

• Locked thread