Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I'm saying it's an outdated joke because they're oldschool devs making a very oldschool styled game.

I would hope so, since the entire loving game is built on that premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I would make videos about me smashing pedestrians in creative ways (like pushing a pedestrian off the top of a building, then slowly going after it with my car, the car would flip and I would crush the just fallen pedestrian with the top of my car) and I would show them to my cousin, and he would laugh and laugh. I love carma, I just waiting for it to be stable.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Cheers man! I've been pretty apprehensive of posting in here because the last time I posted anything to do with our music it bought out the douchebag in the elite music types, and gently caress, I don't need that poo poo.

It's a weird story how we got the gig, I'll tell it sometime, but it took 3 years to finalise.

gently caress the haters, I enjoy your contributions to the soundtrack and they can all stuff a hamster up their arse.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

program666 posted:

I would make videos about me smashing pedestrians in creative ways (like pushing a pedestrian off the top of a building, then slowly going after it with my car, the car would flip and I would crush the just fallen pedestrian with the top of my car) and I would show them to my cousin, and he would laugh and laugh. I love carma, I just waiting for it to be stable.

I think this is relevant here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iveek6tVvnU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

CitrusFrog posted:

gently caress the haters, I enjoy your contributions to the soundtrack and they can all stuff a hamster up their arse.

I really wish they would!

Thanks for digging the tunes too!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The full release has been delayed by a month at the last minute, to do some extra polishing and bug stomping.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shame about the last-minute delay, but extra polishing and bugfixing sounds good to me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I really wish they would!

Thanks for digging the tunes too!

Woah I didn't know you were literally all the industrial tracks on the soundtrack!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The last update for the early access version dropped today. Some folks are reporting worse performance than before, but I got a pretty solid performance boost. Game is running between 45-60 fps on mostly high settings most of the time, with the occasional dip below that when there's a lot of poo poo going on. Still not fantastic, but whatever, it's totally playable. Unfortunately, they went and took out the culling sliders, so you can no longer screw around with the draw distance or anything like that. No more texture quality settings either. Weird.

They also released a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KztnPWLZm38

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I approve of that trailer.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
For some reason at least for some people the game seems not to have any anisotropic filtering, force it trough your drivers and you'll get much better texture quality especially on the ground textures.

For me it went from this:

To this:

And no fps loss.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AF is super cool, costs almost no resources and it not being an option would be weird in a finished game. Good find. :)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ahaha, that trailer. I was not expecting that Monty Python skit to be referenced.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Played the beta update, can report massively increased performance on higher settings than I had it at before. Runs more like I'd expect on a GTX970 now. Still a tiny bit of slowdown when there's lots of physics action but otherwise consistently smooth.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh my god, I sunk so many hours into Carmageddon 2 when I was a tiny child. I didn't get like any of the puns and I remember telling my dad about unlocking Jenny Talia and him completely losing it.

The Hawk 3 was my favorite, getting to drive the Big Dump for the first time was a goddamn blast, and the cars were modeled so distinctively and had so much character that I can still remember most of the driver/car name combos. I literally saw a car that looked like the Purple Piledrver last week, and my mind immediately shot to the game.

Carmageddon 3 (E: TDR 2000) was probably the most disappointing video game sequel I've ever experienced, and this is coming from someone who played through Duke Nukem Forever. The single huge wheel thing was kinda fun as a novelty but otherwise, jesus.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 2, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://youtu.be/-eU_hmfwyLc

Livestream from this week featured me ramming Nobby repeatedly from behind

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh my god, I sunk so many hours into Carmageddon 2 when I was a tiny child. I didn't get like any of the puns and I remember telling my dad about unlocking Jenny Talia and him completely losing it.

I never played 2, so this pun took me a few seconds to register.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haven't played in a while, this game is fun but boy does it feel really rough still.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The full release is out now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo42NWQrIOM

Stability and performance has been significantly improved since the last release. It's not perfect, but at least for me loading times only take 10-30s now (used to be over a minute) and the framerate is smooth with High quality settings.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Bah. Performance has barely improved for me at all. Loading (from SSD) still takes about two minutes, and I get at most 40fps with mostly everything turned low. This is on a 770 at 1920x1200. Admittedly my CPU is a bit long in the tooth (i5 from ~2010).

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Runs fine on 6 player multi games with heavy powerup usage for me. Multiplayer also seems way more stable overall.
Also fun as all gently caress.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

IGN did videos of Carmageddon, Carma 2 and Reincarnation with Nobby:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/05/19/the-original-carmageddon-is-still-hilarious-ign-retro-lets-play
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/05/20/smashing-animals-with-cars-in-carmageddon-2-carpocalypse-now-ign-retro-lets-play
http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/05/21/splattering-pedestrians-in-carmageddon-reincarnation-ign-plays

The IGN guy hosting the thing is a longtime Carma fan, so these are basically just him and Nobby chatting about the series and all the silly poo poo that happens in the game.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why does Screwie Lewie have to spend 10 minutes slamming into Otis when his car has no tires, and is smoking, to kill him? I was never this bad at the Carmageddon series before ffs.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does anyone else playing Reincarnation feel the driving is really sluggish? I don't feel like I'm going very fast at all but when it comes to a turn the car slides all over the place. It's like a slug driving through syrup but suddenly turns are on ice.

It's not very arcade-y at all and I'm having a lot more fun driving in GTA 5.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I paid into the kickstarter how many years ago it was and the launch day experience is having the game crash on the splash screen, which is apparently an issue that has been ongoing for months and the 'fix' is installing old windows update packages. That's cool. Wide berth for anyone on the fence.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

IUG posted:

Why does Screwie Lewie have to spend 10 minutes slamming into Otis when his car has no tires, and is smoking, to kill him? I was never this bad at the Carmageddon series before ffs.

Otis's car has always been ridiculously resilient since the first game, I think that's fully intentional. The other day I was playing with Ivan's truck and I had Otis down to a twisted frame, no tires and smoke pouring out and I just could not wreck the bastard. Eventually I swallowed my pride and bought a bunch of anvils and it still took like 6 to finally wreck him.

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone else playing Reincarnation feel the driving is really sluggish? I don't feel like I'm going very fast at all but when it comes to a turn the car slides all over the place. It's like a slug driving through syrup but suddenly turns are on ice.

Yeah I feel that way for most of the cars, but I'm sure somebody's going to figure out a way to redo the handling and mod it in. Hopefully.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

yaay posted:

I paid into the kickstarter how many years ago it was and the launch day experience is having the game crash on the splash screen, which is apparently an issue that has been ongoing for months and the 'fix' is installing old windows update packages. That's cool. Wide berth for anyone on the fence.

theyre only old because you were supposed to install them last year

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
:sweatdrop:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Otis's car has always been ridiculously resilient since the first game, I think that's fully intentional. The other day I was playing with Ivan's truck and I had Otis down to a twisted frame, no tires and smoke pouring out and I just could not wreck the bastard. Eventually I swallowed my pride and bought a bunch of anvils and it still took like 6 to finally wreck him.

Maybe that's a valid reason, but at the same time, I'm tired of exploding three times in a row when my armor has been upgraded to level 3 at this point. Or a tire flying off if I brush another car. The game seems to make the opponents nearly invincible.

I also have no idea how to use that powerup wheel in the bottom. Was there a tutorial? Once I get a powerup, I'm stuck with it, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to assign something to the DPad.

At least my FPS went up with the final version. Load time is about the same.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nexus6 posted:

It really does feel somehow sluggish, this was literally my response the moment I started the first race. I got used to it a bit but it still feels a bit off compared to Carma 1/2. It's like driving your mom's Camry after a sportscar - it's slower and response to steering and other inputs more disconnected.

The game seems to be a bit more difficult in terms of wasting opponents. Especially on hard difficulty, equally strong or weaker cars will destroy you every time in a head-on collision, or even just by flying into you at any angle. At the same time, killing anyone is super hard without a bunch of powerups.

It also takes forever (like just under two minutes off an SSD) to load and runs like poo poo - in general around or below 30fps at 1080p but everything on low/medium. Yeah it's an ancient Q6600/650Ti PC but it runs Crysis 3 better than that. Still, it's close enough to the old games and fun enough that I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Wish there was a way to blacklist the dubstep tracks from the playlist but I can always just turn off the music altogether and blast my own Iron Maiden collection instead.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

IUG posted:

Maybe that's a valid reason, but at the same time, I'm tired of exploding three times in a row when my armor has been upgraded to level 3 at this point. Or a tire flying off if I brush another car. The game seems to make the opponents nearly invincible.

I also have no idea how to use that powerup wheel in the bottom. Was there a tutorial? Once I get a powerup, I'm stuck with it, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to assign something to the DPad.

At least my FPS went up with the final version. Load time is about the same.
The PIS (Powerup Instant Selector) is a separate thing from the collectibles, you can find the tutorial for it in the main menu under Stuff > Tutorials.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

I could tell you something about exploding three times in a row.

You can scroll through powerups with [ and ]

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

IUG posted:

The left and right bumpers cycle through collected power-ups, and I haven't set the D-Pad in ages (been playing off and on since early alpha) so I can't remember exactly how to do it. I think how it works is you first pick which D-Pad direction you want to assign a thing to, then hold it down and it should bring up a wheel of powerups. Then you go through them to pick which powerup you want to assign to the direction you're holding. Picking a D-Pad powerup will cost credits though, so be aware of that.

VV Also yeah, holy poo poo is the Cleaver way too OP. You can tear any tire right off the axle in a matter of seconds.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 23, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The left and right bumpers cycle through collected power-ups

:doh: Now I just have to work on why I explode so much and the others don't explode enough. I might switch back to Val's car, as that would at least rip off their tires. Screwie's car seems to have a plastic drill bit on the front, and paper holding the tires to the axles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Huh I had no idea powerups could be managed that way.

IUG posted:

:doh: Now I just have to work on why I explode so much and the others don't explode enough. I might switch back to Val's car, as that would at least rip off their tires. Screwie's car seems to have a plastic drill bit on the front, and paper holding the tires to the axles.

Screwie needs a new attachment:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Screwie needs a new attachment:

Sssshhhhhhh don't tell anyone but that attachment is top secret :haw:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

this game runs like total rear end

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It helped that since the last alpha/beta I upgraded my gfx card and I installed it on my SSD, it runs decently now but users with ultra-gaming rigs report poo poo performance. Handling being garbage compared to carma 2 doesn't help too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I

Megadyptes posted:

this game runs like total rear end

I'm holding out for either a demo or a significant discount as I heard this runs badly even on a 970. Seems a shame really as it doesn't look like its doing a lot under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

They're no doubt still going to work on it, it's just a final release now because they consider it to be feature-complete.

• Locked thread