Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ah yeah, I meant to post the patch notes but was too busy watching football. From the official site:

quote:

Grasp your controllers firmly Carmafans! In our efforts to pleasure you regularly with gaming goodness and gore, we bring you ANOTHER exciting Update to our Steam Early Access release of Carmageddon: Reincarnation. We have updated content and also present BRAND SPANKING NEW STUFF to ogle over, drive or destroy….and it's all OUT NOW!

Let’s take a look at what NEW goodies have been added and what’s been IMPROVED in our latest Update (build v0.3.0.5621)

Cars

COMPLETE Annihilator
COMPLETE The Plow INCLUDING driver Don Dumpster!
Revealing The Bear (geometry complete, gameplay ready)
Revealing Tashita (geometry complete except for weapon, gameplay ready)
Revealing Volkswerker (geometry complete, gameplay ready)

ENVIRONMENTS

Bleak City Outskirts

NEW race routes for you to navigate
Building optimisations

City Arena (Sumo)

Complete and cosy NEW level, designed for future Multiplayer fun

Dusty Trails

Tear round these NEW race routes

Rig Wreck

Geometry and Texture WIP

Snow Arena (Iceberg)

NEW routes, created with Multiplayer in mind

Industrial A

Textures WIP

Gameplay

NEW Wheelspin control; demanded by Carmafans, implemented by us …because we love ya!!
More PowerUps – Discover the hilarious NEW ‘Opponent Ejaculator’ and ‘Opponent Bodywork Vac’ powerups, and revel in the return of some old favourites.

Audio

Roaring NEW sound effects and engine noise

Tech

Optimisation work on our engine and rendering tech also continues, and you should experience further improvements to the performance of the game on medium spec PCs. See the specs details on the Steam Store page for more information regarding tech requirements. We’ve also fixed lots of bugs, however, please remember we’re still in Early Access, and so the oft-repeated caveats concerning game performance and BUGS still apply!

If you already own the game and your Steam update is set to run automatically, then you won’t have to lift a finger; all these new goodies will be downloaded the next time you run Carmageddon: Reincarnation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Out of curiosity, am I the only one who cannot play the Chopping Maul map? Every time I load it it not only crashes the game, it complete freezes my system.

Edit: I guess I'll give a shot post patch. But I'm not hopeful.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Q_res posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who cannot play the Chopping Maul map? Every time I load it it not only crashes the game, it complete freezes my system.

Edit: I guess I'll give a shot post patch. But I'm not hopeful.
What are your graphics settings? I've occasionally had freezes like that happen on Chopping Mall and Countryslide when I've cranked Image Quality and other settings up too high and run out of memory.

edit: Performance has definitely improved with the update, I can now play Bleak City at fairly high settings without ever going below 30 fps and usually being comfortably over 40. To be fair, that's a bit less impressive considering the fact I've been playing stuff like Arkham Origins at 80-120 fps with everything maxed out on this new gaming rig, but every little bit of optimization helps.(edit2: well, my first post-patch race in Bleak City did run well, but for whatever reason I got lovely frame rates every time I played the map after that. :wtc: I did manage 80 fps at one point in the Iceberg level, and all the maps except Bleak City do run nicely and never go below 30 fps even when I start cranking up the visuals)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I see in one update they claimed to add the "Peds on Map" power up. Has anyone found this yet? I've been scouring some maps trying to find it. The one benefit is there's some neat areas in the levels I haven't seen before.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Stainless has gifted Carmageddon 1 Max Pack to all current Reincarnation owners, it should be in your Steam inventory right now.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I didn't get any Kickstarter emails about it but received it on Steam, that's a nice bonus :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I didn't get any Kickstarter emails about it but received it on Steam, that's a nice bonus :)
From what I understand it's not a Kickstarter thing at all, they're just giving it to everyone who owns Reincarnation now or buys the early access version after this. The game is apparently also DRM-free, which is quite nice.

For anyone who might not be aware, you can adjust the 3DFX wrapper settings with nglide_config in the Carmageddon1/DOSBOX folder and set it to run at modern resolutions. I'd recommend turning off vsync as well.

edit: the 3DFX version somehow manages to run like poo poo even on my :pcgaming: rig. I think I'll grab the "experimental Win95 patch" from the GOG.com version and see if I can use that with this one. (e2: nobby says the win95 patch for the Steam version is coming soon, so that's good)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 2, 2014

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Really excited to play it (a lady I went to school with now works at Stainless!) but sadly my laptop's about 4 years old and so even getting the thing to run is an endless nightmare, let alone getting the framerate above flipbook levels.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltXZHmk5JI
Yesterday's stream!

Check out fully textured Tashita, Bear and Stig-o-sore

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tashita looks fantastic, although I kinda miss the angry teeth its front bumper had in Carma 2. It already handles really nicely and I enjoy driving it, and I'll probably be using it even more after the next update. The Plow is still my favorite vehicle, though, because you just can't beat the :killdozer:.

Stig's new character design is pretty great as well (if a bit :gonk:), he's obviously been modeled after the guy who falls in the toxic waste in Robocop. The Volkswerker itself looks nice but seems way too big, which will hopefully change at some point once Stainless figure out a way to easily rescale the cars.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The team has been debating over the Reincarnation soundtrack for quite a while now, and at this point it looks like they're just going to let us play whatever songs we want to (which, frankly, is what everyone has been doing anyway). Nobby just said on the stream that they don't want to spend any more of their limited budget to secure rights to music a lot of players won't even listen to, so they decided to go with the custom soundtrack approach. I do hope they at least add the original Lee Grove tracks from the first Carmageddon to the default soundtrack, though, if only because you just know reviewers and idiots on the Steam forums are going to complain if Zero Signal is the only song in the game by default.

Nobby also mentioned that Kickstarter backers will be getting "all DLC for free forever".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have those Lee Grove tracks in iTunes, as the Mac version of the game had them as just audio tracks that you could play like any music CD. Track "01" is the data of the game, the rest is the audio. I assume the Windows version of the game was the same way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think all the original tracks are in the gog release.

It's interesting that they've decided to English the game up for that sweet grant money.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Shoehead posted:

It's interesting that they've decided to English the game up for that sweet grant money.

What?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

There's tax exemptions if you manage to prove that your game is "sufficiently British". A good 75% of the test is "are you developing this game in the UK?", but there's some content hurdles to clear. Shouldn't be too noticeable, though.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Ministry of Silly Walks pedestrian cheat code.

<kerchunk>

APPROVED

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It's already got at least one Python-flavoured power-up and a Cockney music hall power-down. As long as they spell everything with the correct number of "u"s then I'm sure they'll be fine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fuckin' Grim is in!

Edit: Update today in an hour and a half!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Both brothers or just one?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IUG posted:

Both brothers or just one?

Just one, the other died at some point in the last ten or so years of racing and is now in the coffin in the back. The other Brother keeps a puppet of him for some reason..

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

OH NO MAN posted:

Stainless has gifted Carmageddon 1 Max Pack to all current Reincarnation owners, it should be in your Steam inventory right now.

I gotta say, I was kinda hoping this would be a port of the sorta redone iOS port instead of just the original in a DOXBox wrapper. The iPad version is so much nicer. :saddowns:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They wanted to do the Gog version at least but they found out they couldn't some how.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The only difference between the GOG and Steam versions of Carma 1 is the experimental Win95 patch you can only use with the GOG version at the moment, it makes the game run eight million times better than the Glide wrapper the default GOG and Steam exes use (seriously, I have an i7 with a GTX 780, and Carmageddon 1 at higher settings will still chug in the cockpit view unless the mirror is turned off :wtc:). They're apparently working on getting that to work with the Steam version as well, but most of the team is obviously busy with Reincarnation.

Getting a port of the iOS version would really have been awesome, now I want that too. :saddowns:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok I'm gonna have to try that patch out when I get home.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OH NO MAN posted:

and Carmageddon 1 at higher settings will still chug in the cockpit view unless the mirror is turned off :wtc:). They're apparently working on getting that to work with the Steam version as well, but most of the team is obviously busy with Reincarnation.

Glide wrappers are software emulations, and the mirror is effectively another rendered view. It's a fairly well known phenomenon in shooters where you may or may not see your reflection in the mirror depending on whether the engine models mirrors correctly.

If you want to cripple the Arma games, turn mirrors on.

Worth noting that Carmageddon slightly predated the voodoo cards and you had to download a patch for the glide version.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

So uh, there's an official Carmageddon comic now: http://www.carmageddon.com/comic

Written by nobby and Sim. It's... well, at least it's more accurate to the source material than that lovely TDR tie-in comic, and the art is pretty nice. It does kinda read like something I'd have written when I was 13, but I guess that's fitting.

Hav posted:

If you want to cripple the Arma games, turn mirrors on.
If my experience with the original Cold War Assault (back when it was still Operation Flashpoint :corsair:) is anything to go by, you don't need to turn mirrors on to cripple an ArmA game. :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like they just recorded themselves trashtalking during a multiplayer session for five minutes and then just wrote down the dialogue verbatim.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dynamic ped splitting and skewering (and mutant tail thing powerup) confirmed for next update, which should be dropping at the end of the month. :kheldragar:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Even in it's Pre-Alpha state, this game is a huge blast to play, this game is gonna be awesome once it's fully released.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:frogsiren: Reincarnation owners, check your Steam libraries because Stainless left a little something in there just now. That's right, Carmageddon 2 is now on Steam. :getin:

Sim posted:

Oh MORE NEWS!? YAY! Those of you who watch our Twitch session will know that many people have been asking whether Carmageddon 2 will be coming to Steam, and our reaction has been to always playfully avoid a direct answer… BUT NOT ANY MORE!

Because we were merely toying with you… We knew the answer all along… And Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now is available NOW for ALL in the Steam Store. YES!! Now you can play THE SECOND COMING of the classic original Carmageddon series – without having to leave the comfort of your Steam Account!

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now supports LAN Multiplayer – so you can have MP fun while waiting for MP to be ready for release as part of a forthcoming Carmageddon: Reincarnation Update!*

And it’s DRM Free, too!

It’s available to buy on Steam HERE, at £5.99/€7.99/$9.99.

*What?! You don’t even already own Carmageddon: Reincarnation, available on Steam Early Access? Well then get yerself off there NOW and GET IT!! Because if you DO buy Carmageddon: Reincarnation at its current special offer price of £19.99/€24.99/$29.99, then you’ll get the Carmageddon Max Pack AND Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now bundled with it FOR FREE! THAT’S CORRECTIMUNDO… FREE!!! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND COULD RESIST AN OFFER LIKE THAT?

(If you already own the Carmageddon Max Pack or Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse now, then buying Carmageddon: Reincarnation afterwards will award you a giftable copy of both games. If you already own Carmageddon: Reincarnation, and have yet to redeem your free copy, you should find it in your Steam library.)

Stay tuned… we’ll have even more fun stuff coming your way over the coming weeks!

Please note that Carmageddon 2 was originally published in 1998, and although it’s been extensively tested and “should just work (TM)” on a wide range of current PC specifications, it is sold “as-is”, with no plans for patches, updates or bug fixes. Click here for FAQ and spec info, and join us here to check out the forums and get further helpful advice from the community and Stainless, should you need it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-U9VYALAQ

Protip: type LAPMYLOVEPUMP to enable cheat mode and Shift+0 to disable the timer. You're probably going to need it sooner or later. (Missions. :negative:)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How well does Steam Carma 2 work? I've always had trouble over the years trying to get my old copy working.

OH NO MAN posted:

Protip: type LAPMYLOVEPUMP to enable cheat mode and Shift+0 to disable the timer. You're probably going to need it sooner or later. (Missions. :negative:)

or SMARTBASTARD to just skip the lovely missions.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SMARTBASTARD crashed my game half the time I tried it back in the day, and the missions aren't really that bad when there's no time limit. Real men finish the game legitimately, of course. :smug:

Didn't install the Steam version yet myself, but the GOG.com copy works absolutely fine and I don't see a reason why this would be any different.

edit: same version as the GOG one, works perfectly with no configuration needed to make it run. You also have an nGlide config file you can use to increase resolution and stuff, it's in the game's folder.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 19, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it usually crashed the game for me too, but I never had any luck with getting the LAPMYLOVEPUMP cheat mode to work correctly, but that might have been also more of a result of me being a dumb kid.

Some missions were just an outright pain in the rear end to actually do. (The satellites in group 2 or 3 and the one where you gotta get all the peds on the airport mission.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

If you have an Xbox 360 controller or something similar and set it up with Xpadder or Pinnacle or Joy2Key or whatever, the missions become about a million times easier. The satellites are a nightmare with digital controls because they require a pretty huge amount of precision, but with a decent controller with analog sticks and triggers the mission is easy.

The airport one is bullshit, but there's an electro-bastard ray fairly close to the tower. Get that, drive back, jump off ramp, complete mission. This may or may not require 500 hours of playing the game to memorize all the levels and the important pickup locations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 introduced me to Iron Maiden. So in addition to being a great game it was also responsible for spreading some great music.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OH NO MAN posted:

SMARTBASTARD crashed my game half the time

poo poo, I thought that was just me. Exactly every other SMARTBASTARD input, crash to desktop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OH NO MAN posted:

If you have an Xbox 360 controller or something similar and set it up with Xpadder or Pinnacle or Joy2Key or whatever, the missions become about a million times easier. The satellites are a nightmare with digital controls because they require a pretty huge amount of precision, but with a decent controller with analog sticks and triggers the mission is easy.

The airport one is bullshit, but there's an electro-bastard ray fairly close to the tower. Get that, drive back, jump off ramp, complete mission. This may or may not require 500 hours of playing the game to memorize all the levels and the important pickup locations.

Except, I swear to god, most powerups didn't work in missions, and just awarded points instead. I think you might be right about the electro-bastard ray though because I recall using that to do that mission at one point.

Ddraig posted:

Carmageddon 2 introduced me to Iron Maiden. So in addition to being a great game it was also responsible for spreading some great music.

This too. For a long time I was a wiener kid that didn't listen to music because I didn't know what I liked. Then I remembered about the stuff I heard in Carma 2 and went on to find a poo poo ton of awesome metal.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oxyclean posted:

Except, I swear to god, most powerups didn't work in missions, and just awarded points instead. I think you might be right about the electro-bastard ray though because I recall using that to do that mission at one point.
You're right in that most powerups have been changed to just award points during missions (except the last one, where I managed to pick up Drunk Driving at the worst possible time and failed as a result :gonk:). For some reason, though, this one electro-bastard ray is right where it's supposed to be and I assume it's how you're actually intended to complete the mission.

I'm also one of those kids who were introduced to Iron Maiden through Carmageddon 2. Once I got tired of hearing the four songs in the game, I bought a bunch of Maiden CDs and listened to those during the game (and even more outside the game). Those and The Offspring. Shut up, it was the late 90s/early 00s. :saddowns:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 19, 2014

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Anyone else getting an error on startup with Carma 2 about it being the western European version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Can't say I am, the game is working perfectly fine for me aside from crashing on exit which is something Carma 2 just tends to do.

Sounds like a weird problem though, I checked the official forums and Steam boards and it doesn't look like anyone else is reporting that specific issue.

• Locked thread