Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Shane Douglas Promotion
This poll is closed.
XPW 11 18.97%
Hardcore Homecoming 1 1.72%
Extreme Reunion/Rising 2 3.45%
This New One (because it won't happen) 44 75.86%
Total: 58 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
WrestleCon kinda fizzled out, didn't it?

I mean, I'm sure it'll be fun for those in New Orleans, but it doesn't quite have the hype it did last year. Indy wrestling in general doesn't seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Ah memories of reading Gabe's twitter while they frantically tried to get EVOLVE streams to work. Literally asking the whole audience "how is it now?"

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Any perspective on why, in this day and age, these guys aren't getting at least a portion of their payment up front?

I can understand being a rookie and paying dues and all, but when you're a decent name, or even a "legend," why take the risk?

I guess there are as many no-shows as there are scummy promoters, but I think it's better to have one guy take the money and run rather than a whole locker room without payment. Just seems to happen way too often and always has.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Cory Lidle posted:

This is where the promoters would disagree with you.

Granted, but it seems like you hear about a promoter skipping town with the cash a lot more than a talent taking their money for zero work. Not that no-shows don't happen and promoters lose out on travel cash from time to time, but the last instance I recall wrestlers actively taking their payment and not working was the whole Team Ambition/Bandits thing.

I guess there's no perfect system, since promoters don't necessarily want to front money in case they lose it with no work, and wrestlers don't want to get themselves to the show, much less work it, only to find out there's no money waiting. I'm just saying, it's one thing for a wrestler to be scummy and miss a date and ignore travel plans or what have you, but its another for a promoter to put on a show (or not,) and screw over all the talent, and the backstage people, and the fans and cost a lot of people a lot of money. Naturally it works on the flip side too, if you book an event centered around a wrestler's appearance and he doesn't show and then you're left holding the bag.

It just surprises me that this is still so commonplace in the modern age when it seems like it should be easier to gauge the risk, reputation, etc. Then again, people know Taylor Wilde had to work at Sunglasses Hut and still choose to sign a contract with TNA, so I guess I can't really judge their personal reasoning.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

coconono posted:

Flameingblack probably remembers it better than I do but there was a promotion that got the cops called on them during a deathmatch tournament.

It was the IWA Deep South King of the Deathmatch in 2005. A wrestler named Diehard suffered a deep cut after a light tube shot in the first match, and they rushed him to the hospital. After the cops found out how he got injured, they went to the tournament and shut it down before the first round was over.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Sounds like HUSTLE to me.

Which, if done right, could be a ton of fun and have a lot of potential for touring.

But if done wrong, it'll be a complete disaster and a huge waste of time, money, and potential.

Either way, it sure doesn't sound like a AAA project.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Anybody know how House of Hardcore has been selling these days? Heard it dipped.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

If nothing else, they've got a ton of attention they otherwise wouldn't have. It sounds crazy, but if they stick with it and perfect it in the coming months, it could be a real selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

rovert posted:

Delirious dislikes PWG as ROH wrestlers seemingly go out of their way to have better matches in PWG and talk about it in such glowing terms. Not too over do it my description here but contrast same wrestlers working at an ROH event kind of glumly punch the clock despite ROH paying them more. Apparently ROH/Sinclair office shares or is beginning to share in that resentment.

Also stuff like Trevor Lee going over then ROH Champion Michael Elgin in the second round of BOLA.

• Locked thread