Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Davin Valkri posted:

FATE Core. :hurr:

Isn't Freeport like D&D FATE anyway?

Freeport is a campaign setting meant theoretically to be system agnostic, but in practice it's D&D!pirates. The FATE Freeport Companion is just one of the companion books Green Ronin has been putting out to make conversion to various systems easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The BBC just put up this on the D&D scares of the 80's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26328105

My favorite bit is this.

quote:

"The view of roleplaying games has changed over time," says Smith, "mostly because the predicted 'streets awash with the blood of innocents as a horde of demonically-possessed roleplayers laid waste to the country' simply never materialised."

That's a game idea there if ever I saw one!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Mummy is, like a lot of White Wolf games, a few bits of brilliance mixed in with a bunch of wonky mechanics and questionable decisions.

But it finally explores the virgin design space of variable target numbers!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

InfiniteJesters posted:

No Tenra Bansho Zero means no HOT-BLOODED GUTS. :black101:

...On the other hand, I think that's a 2012 thing, not a 2013 thing, technically.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they only counted translated games by year of original publication, thus kinda cutting them out of consideration in a lot of cases.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ettin posted:

But it finally explores the virgin design space of variable target numbers!

I really felt like that got way overstated around here-- it was present, and it wasn't a good idea, but I wouldn't call it a core mechanic by any stretch.

This isn't to say that the mechanics of that book aren't questionable anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Has anybody ever played a Mummy game, new or old? I'm not talking about a mummy in a monster mash / melting pot sort of WoD game, I'm talking mummy only vs. Apofophiesisis and his bane mummy band.

I can only imagine it's rarer than even finding a Geist game.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I ran a mummy-only two-shot right after the system came out and had a pretty good time with it, but I don't think I could have sustained that game long-term-- once they ran out of Sekhem finding a reason for the group of mummies to come back together again through the ages starts to feel increasingly contrived in my mind.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm running a monthly game of Mummy: the Curse (nWoD) at the moment. Next session is on the 18th, and a write-up of events so far is here.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh my gosh, I bought Golden Sky Stories and it's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen :3:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Hey me and the dumb goons who did the two inverse world sessions are gonna stream Fiasco tonight, around 7pm cst.

Feel free to check it out.

Edit: Now in a handy Youtube playlist!

Talkc fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 12, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm at PAX East running games on demand, and one of my Dungeon World players just asked me to sign his book! :3:

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Could I get some recommendations for good actual-play podcasts/videos? Any systems are fine, though *World or Fate would be extra-fine.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

psychopomp posted:

Could I get some recommendations for good actual-play podcasts/videos? Any systems are fine, though *World or Fate would be extra-fine.

I watched half an hour of this once and I remember it was pretty good - it's genuinely funny at some points and it doesn't get awkward.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

psychopomp posted:

Some goons and I have been putting our Inverse World ( Dungeon World Conversion ) campaign on youtube.

I can't say if its good or not though ( too much bias ).

Island Crash Youtube Playlist

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

psychopomp posted:

Slowbeef, Diabetus, Ironicus and Chip Cheezum played Dungeon World on Retsutalk a while ago and it's pretty great.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Xiahou Dun posted:

Slowbeef, Diabetus, Ironicus and Chip Cheezum played Dungeon World on Retsutalk a while ago and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mB3aG3ORJ4

These are pretty great because the people playing are all entertaining.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

psychopomp posted:

I've been listening to the podcast One Shot and it's pretty great; comedians playing tabletop games. They start with Pathfinder, but move on to other systems rather quickly. They do Dungeon World (twice!), Fiasco, Edge of the Empire, and lots of other stuff.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

psychopomp posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492456 The "Kilobops" have done some great stuff in a variety of systems, including Fate. No Dungeon World yet though.

Also http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713 for some 13th Age, they're a really good crew.

Away from Something Awful, The Walking Eye is a pretty good podcast where they do one-shots of pretty much every system around. http://www.thewalkingeye.com/

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 13, 2014

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Spincut posted:

I've been listening to the podcast One Shot and it's pretty great; comedians playing tabletop games. They start with Pathfinder, but move on to other systems rather quickly. They do Dungeon World (twice!), Fiasco, Edge of the Empire, and lots of other stuff.

Seconding this. Lots of variety, excellent players/DMs and high production quality.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I am posting a thread about making good NPCs because I've been told I should but I am not sure what to use as examples. Someone in one of my games tell me which NPCs you want to hear an explanation for. :getin:

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Ettin posted:

I am posting a thread about making good NPCs because I've been told I should but I am not sure what to use as examples. Someone in one of my games tell me which NPCs you want to hear an explanation for. :getin:

There better be at least a paragraph explaining the Tao of Terrible loving Puns.

Edit: Also the best NPC from games I've been in was The Wu Tang Secret.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 14, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Destrado posted:

There better be at least a paragraph explaining the Tao of Terrible loving Puns.

If any of my NPC names were terrible, I'd take you up on that. :colbert:

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Ettin posted:

If any of my NPC names were terrible, I'd take you up on that. :colbert:

Ettin posted:

Friday February 10 2119, 4:55PM EST
Location: Garden of Reflection, Shining Eye Dojo, Cuban Highlands

Mikoto Mikoyama

Aspects: ???

"I am Mikoto Mikoyama, and this is my garden." She bows!

"And you are rude. Haven't you ever heard of knocking?"

Ettin posted:

Yaburakoujinoburakouji Go

Shiro's call is answered!

"Hello, ma'am! Sorry about the towel, you caught me training."

Ettin posted:

There are a bunch of samurai in here. Approximately zero of them are Japanese.

Citation Needed
@-rep: 20 :: Ω-rep: 71 :: r-rep: 0 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Cognitive neuroscience, neural programming, paleozoology

Xue Lao
@-rep: 59 :: Ω-rep: 0 :: r-rep: 10 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Metaphysics, anarchy, classical electrohouse

Jake Naruto
@-rep: 28 :: Ω-rep: 1 :: r-rep: 44 :: Hundredth School of Thought
Psychosurgery, linguistics, old earth history

The Wu-Tang Secret
@-rep: ?? :: Ω-rep: ?? :: r-rep: ?? :: Hundredth School of Thought
???

They are, in fact, so terrible that they wrap around to amazing. And then immediately wrap right back around to terrible. It's an amazing feat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

stoutfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mB3aG3ORJ4

These are pretty great because the people playing are all entertaining.

Yeah, that's what got me to finally browbeat my group into trying Dungeon World (I'd had it for months but didn't have momentum), and now they won't let me run anything else.

On a different note, I bought Torchbearer at PAX. Notes :

1) It is so. loving. Pretty. I really love the lay-out, the art-style, the paper. It really looks like the old 2nd Edition books I started playing with and that is half the reason I bought it. Gorgeous god drat book.

2) Sadly, it also kept the clarity of those old books, which I'm starting to think might be mildly intentional? I'm looking specifically at you Referencing Chapters by Things That Aren't Actually Their Names.

There isn't a dedicated thread, and I don't know if there's enough desire for one, so would it be cool if I asked some clarification questions here? I know at least Winson and some other folk bought it.

3) I need to play it, but the resource-mechanics and the whole various phases thing seems like it's going to either be incredibly awesome or outright horrible, and I think it might vary depending on the group and their expectations. Would large amounts of alcohol help or hinder its enjoyment? I'm leaning towards the former.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Destrado posted:

They are, in fact, so terrible that they wrap around to amazing. And then immediately wrap right back around to terrible. It's an amazing feat.

I'm clearly showing my ignorance here, but if any of those names are puns, I don't understand any of them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I actually am curious as to the origins of Kaiya (Dubai Flavored) and MadokaMadoka.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm absconding with Citation Needed. That is the perfect neo-Gibsonian hacker moniker.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Looks like the EVE people finally killed off the WOD MMORPG, cancelling the project and firing all 56 people still working at White Wolf/Atlanta

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/14/world-of-darkness-cancelled-by-ccp/

quote:

CCP have finally put a stake through the heart of World of Darkness. Despite a troubled life, the studio's undead MMO adaptation would briefly slink out from the shadows before darting back into its lair. Despite how infrequently it made an appearance, it's a shame to hear that the final nail has been hammered down. Partly that's because of the amazing promise of the game—which imagined a world as rich, political and player-driven as EVE, only with vampires instead of spaceships. Mostly, though, it's because CCP are now laying off 56 members of staff from their Atlanta studio.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson issued a statement about the closure:

"The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I’ve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

"I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision. Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.

"To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.

"Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world."

If you're looking to mourn what might have been, read what Tom learned about the game at last year's EVE Fanfest.

As always, good luck to those affected by job losses.
Not unexpected, but still: ouch.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Not at all unexpected with the extremely tepid marketing that's characterized it for years, but it still really blows my mind that it's come to this.

A WoD MMO seems like a really easy horse to back and make money on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Adept Nightingale posted:

Not at all unexpected with the extremely tepid marketing that's characterized it for years, but it still really blows my mind that it's come to this.

A WoD MMO seems like a really easy horse to back and make money on.
Especially an EVE-style one full of politics and alliances and backstabbing and player-driven conflict.

MMOs have always been a hard place to make money, and the whole sector seems to be in relative decline, so it makes sense to kill a troubled project. Still: ouch.

OTOH, less competition for Pathfinder Online!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

Especially an EVE-style one full of politics and alliances and backstabbing and player-driven conflict.

I don't know, making a game like this that's good seems like it would actually be pretty hard. I've always been under the impression that EVE was more a happy accident than anything, and relying on "player driven" anything as a selling point for an MMO is sort of like tossing coins down a well and wishing for success. A lot of the talking points for the Vampire MMO sounded like pie-in-the-sky fantasizing from "idea guys," stuff like for-real permadeath and vampirism being a thing that was handed down from the playerbase rather than just going "yeah, you're a vampire, have fun."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Knowing the horrors that stalked WoD MUSHes and the seething nightmare that was the sanctioned game New Bremen, I'm going to call this one a mercy killing. Besides, it had been in development Hell for how long?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Note that this is the MMO only - the whole Onyx Path thing was done like a year and a half ago, two years maybe, because everyone knew this was coming, I am pretty sure. This isn't a surprise, and it's also not really related to the continuing existence of World of Darkness as an RPG setting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I can't imagine you'd have the permissiveness of something like Dark Metal or even New Bremen to imagine your six-dicked underage diaper garou, but yeah, it'd be hard to police nonetheless. I imagine it's a lot harder to for them to take their formula and adapt it to something vastly more complex than just boxes firing rays at each other in empty space (at least when you're not engaging in hot action between the spreadsheets).

I suppose I need to finish up Bloodlines at some point anyway.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The players who use those sites, or spun off into environments like Second Life, are going to be expecting a lot more responsiveness than what MMOs offer, too. Massive sandboxing works for EVE because... well, yeah, it's simple territory control, scamming, and pretty boxes moving from 3D gridpoint A to gridpoint B. It isn't an environment filled with persistent buildings that players will expect to be able to sneak/break into, lie in wait within for the owner to return and log out, or set fire to, with expectations that their antics-- er, actions will have a persistent effect.

That's before the inevitable conflict of RP styles and cliquishness sets in.

That's before the first dedicated PK guild shows up and starts steamrolling, because it's kind of hard to run something like Vampire's Masquerade programmatically, and organizing resistance would require five dots in cat herding.

And that's all before realizing the sheer amount of drama a single determined WoD player can spark.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Bieeardo posted:

The players who use those sites, or spun off into environments like Second Life, are going to be expecting a lot more responsiveness than what MMOs offer, too. Massive sandboxing works for EVE because... well, yeah, it's simple territory control, scamming, and pretty boxes moving from 3D gridpoint A to gridpoint B. It isn't an environment filled with persistent buildings that players will expect to be able to sneak/break into, lie in wait within for the owner to return and log out, or set fire to, with expectations that their antics-- er, actions will have a persistent effect.

That's before the inevitable conflict of RP styles and cliquishness sets in.

That's before the first dedicated PK guild shows up and starts steamrolling, because it's kind of hard to run something like Vampire's Masquerade programmatically, and organizing resistance would require five dots in cat herding.

And that's all before realizing the sheer amount of drama a single determined WoD player can spark.

That sounds amazing and it's a shame we couldn't see the trainwreck.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Ettin posted:

Tavleen, obviously :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of MMOs, what's the latest on the Pathfinder MMO? Has there been anything since that video a few months back?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

stoutfish posted:

That sounds amazing and it's a shame we couldn't see the trainwreck.

Tell me about it. I always got this weird feeling of dread mixed with an urge to rubberneck. I bet Indiana Jones felt like that when the Nazis opened the Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
At least we still have the pathfinder mmo.

• Locked thread