Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Take me to this magical land where the Super Bowl winner gets the #1 pick.

This movie was obviously based on the 2013 NFL season, which ended like two months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chris Gaines posted:

The movie will end with Costner killing himself for real because I hate him

He was cool in that Hatfield and McCoy thing on the history channel

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dan Fouts got robbed

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

There's 4 active QBs who will have had better careers than McNabb. Lol the Super Bowl ruined Peyton.

There are more than 4

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

On the other hand, gently caress Steve Young

yeah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

gently caress Rich Gannon

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Also the gunslinging was perfectly acceptable until very recently. I'd say around 2006 is when teams wanted their QB to stop taking risks and start targeting efficient plays.

I think Marino is one of the best QBs of all time and his INT rates look just as bad as Favre's. People just took more risks back then.

this is what my Dad always told me about Dan Fouts when I'd bring up his interception total.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

predicto posted:

Is it too late to throw in a vote for Steve Young as the very best ever? Because I genuinely believe this (not a 49er fan or a Mormon either).

Put me down for Bradshaw as the most overrated (after Namath of course). The ultimate kiss the rings bullshit.

You can't be the best ever when you aren't even the best in your own team's history

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Seriously though, Boomer Esiason can go gently caress himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly38G_E8ejg

I seriously love the last 8 seconds of this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers and the new mayor of San Diego are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss stadium issues. And since this is the first mayor in a long line that's actually said that he's open to working with the Chargers, things could start to happen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

He had a Super Bowl run with the Panthers and Jake Delhomme.

And won an NFL division and playoff game starting Tim Tebow at quarterback

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The NFC is dumb and boring

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

The Bears and Packers are essentially equal. Good Offenses and oh god why is our Safety not covering that wide open dude, and they had How many rushing yards?

I think the difference between Cutler and Rodgers kinda makes them unequal

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

Enjoy it. Because with his style he's going to fall apart sometime this year probably.

Also, even if I'll give you the Packers being better than the Bears, They aren't going to "skullfuck" the division by any stretch of the imagination. Besides that one year where you guys lost only one game, The division has been close every year.

It was only close last year because Rodgers missed half the season and lol Lions

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

And Cutler didn't? And our Defense lost 8 of it's 11 starters for significant time, and like 5 of those were out for the season either in training camp or early in the season.

But please keep scapegoating the poor Packers for finally having to deal with subpar Quarterback play for half a season.

Man I don't even like the packers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

go Vikings yall

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Hizawk posted:

I keep meeting people in Canada who say their favourite baseball team is the tigers or for hockey the red wings.

They don't have the Lions as their favourite football team.

Yeah because they have their own dumb league

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I can think of a few famous examples but not many. Bernie Kosar is one that comes to mind.

All of our kickers in Cinci grew up rooting for the Bengals, so that's neat. Our Punter, Kevin Huber, grew up in Cinci and was drafted by us. Our kicker, the Nuge, was at the Freezer Bowl, albeit inside his mother. Always cool to see.

Junior Seau is a pretty big example

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Richie Incognito won the Good Guy Award once. He's a good guy!!!

Well he never beat a girl unconscious in an elevator.

That we know of

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fat greasy puto posted:

if you continue to hold these guys to a different standard they will continue to let you down. i know most of you have been watching football for <5 years, and most of you don't even seem to care about the game being played but it's a violent sport and some of the guys playing are sociopaths and you can't seriously be this disillusioned to think that just because these guys make alot of money they're going to always be upstanding citizens?

colin?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TNF games own, ya'll are babies. It's the only chance a lot of people get to see teams they normally won't see on TV until they actually play your team.

Having every team on primetime at least once rules.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

Those teams aren't on TV normally because they are lovely and no one cares about them, but that is not the part of TNF that people don't like, you goof. They could do that without holding the games on a day of the week where teams don't have sufficient time to recover from the previous week and prepare for the game.

which would also be solved by giving teams a bye week before the TNF games as people have already stated.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So despite playing the NFC West in the regular season this year, the Chargers are still playing the Cardinals/Seahawks/49ers in the preseason.

Get ready for some even blander preseason football than normal yall

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Whole lotta people not touching the "4 Years A Slave" thing huh

Better bring it up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Please do not hang out with Coach K

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Except for the fact that Peyton doesn't want to coach

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Azhais posted:

That's actually evil Peyton from the alternate universe

Denver?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sour Diesel posted:

Preseason Harbowl!

Also the Ravens play the Saints in preseason and will end up facing them in the regular season. I thought the NFL avoided putting teams against each other in preseason when they ended up playing each other? Weird.

vv Ah, thanks Chiche. Completely forgot about that.

The Chargers play the entire NFC West this regular season, and are still playing Seattle, Arizona, and San Francisco in the preseason.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I miss you Shawne :(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

effectual posted:

Does Toronto not have a CFL team? Also remember what happened the last time an american sport expanded to Canadia (Expos).

Sure, if you choose to ignore the Raptors.

And the CFL team in Toronto is the Argonauts. They had Cleo Lemon once.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

the Chargers beat writer wrote a little piece on the forward momentum that the stadium issue in San Diego has been generating with a new mayor, since we're getting closer (within five years) to the time when the Chargers can walk away from Qualcomm without paying a penalty fee.

quote:

I can’t speak for anyone, and I won’t be heard by everyone.

The issue of public financing for a professional sports stadium – considered either civic investment or financial aid for billionaires – is about as divisive as any a sportswriter could ever touch.

My strongest opinion in last week’s column on the topic was to congratulate San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and Chargers President Dean Spanos on formally beginning stadium talks. Many of the e-mails I received suggested I was complicit in a plan to fleece America’s Finest City.

That’s simply not the case. Part of my job, in fact, is to make sure we don’t get taken -- or at least make sure you’re educated if you decide to be taken.

But understand, San Diego taxpayers will need to contribute something big in order for the San Diego Chargers to continue being the San Diego Chargers.

That’s fact.

A new stadium here will likely cost more than $1 billion. The Chargers are prepared to pay $400 million of that – between the Spanos family, their investment partners and a $200 million loan from the NFL.

What we’re talking about here – as I understand the rough proposal, in its current, unofficial form -- is the city providing the Chargers land (the current stadium and sports arena sites) that right now is not only under-utilized but a drain on the city’s finances. The Spanos family and their partners would develop that land, probably valued at about $250-$300 million, and the rest of the city’s contribution would come from sales, hotel and property taxes generated by that development.

No money from the General Fund. No bond issue. No tax increases.

All things considered, that sounds fair.

I’m not mad if you don’t think so. I understand economists differ on the actual value of a sports franchise to a city and whether municipalities make back what they invest in new stadiums. And I promise further columns addressing those issues.

But that it takes public money to get stadiums built is what we’re talking about here.

And that has been established elsewhere. In fact, everywhere.

Three different studies unaffiliated with the league indicate that well over half the cost of NFL stadiums built in the past two decades has been footed by the public.

Agree or disagree. That’s the cost of doing business.

The thing about studies is that they often don’t use the same criteria and rarely analyze the same data similarly. So while we must acknowledge these numbers as inexact, what is remarkable is that the three studies, even utilizing different criteria, come to similar conclusions.

A Harvard study of all NFL stadiums showed that the 12 NFL stadiums opened between 2000 and 2010 were constructed using an average public contribution of 54 percent of the total costs. But that study did not include the nearly 800 acres of land given by the state of New Jersey to the New York Giants and New York Jets for MetLife Stadium and the teams’ practice facilities, nor did it factor in $70 million the state of Massachusetts spent on infrastructure improvements during construction of the New England Patriots’ stadium.

A study by the consulting firm Convention Sports & Leisure, which accounted for 20 stadiums opened (or scheduled to open) between 1997 and this year, concluded the average public contribution was 56 percent. That study did not include the land given in New Jersey but did factor in the infrastructure improvement cost in New England.

And a study by another consulting firm, Horrow Sports Ventures, looking at the 13 stadiums opened between 1997 and 2006, put the average public contribution at 57 percent. It did not include MetLife Stadium, which opened in 2010, and it did factor in the state’s contribution in Massachusetts.

All that is to say we’re going to have to give if we don’t want the Chargers to go.

Whether San Diegans decide they want to cough up from the city’s coffers will be decided at the polls, perhaps in the spring of 2016.

The goal of a simple man who usually puts his mathematical skills to use figuring out batting average and yards per carry is to, until that time comes, put into perspective the issues that the Chargers, the city and the citizens must grasp and grapple with.

Both the city and the Chargers have the benefit of being able to learn from past stadium deals – both good and bad.

They can make sure to not overestimate revenue from a sales-tax increase and then have to sell a hospital, as in Cincinnati, when there is a shortfall.

They can perhaps try to emulate the incredible public/private cooperation in the Bay Area, with the 49ers paying back most (if not all) of the public contribution over the course of decades. (To be sure, the 49ers have the advantage of Silicon Valley money snapping up a record $800 million in luxury box and seat sales that won’t happen in San Diego.)

Folks, this is real. The dire warnings I issued months ago were the result of several conversations with those close to the situation that indicated deep frustration by Dean Spanos. Now, we must seize (and not let go of) the momentum that has materialized with a new mayor.

For or against, I hope we all understand.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Why were you listening to Cowherd?

why do you care what people listen to

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

me and Ross listen to Mike and Mike lol

Mike and I are on a first name basis. He reads my emails often

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

NFL Schedule gonna be released on the 17th, ya'll

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sour Diesel posted:

Then you better loving listen to him.

Rich Gannon immediately bought a lifetime supply of Depends

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Azhais posted:

In non-Aldon news, Giants concerned Eli is on the decline

No poo poo he's in decline, he's been in the league for 10 years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

The draft getting moved back is the dumbest poo poo. We've still got a month of nothing left, and then after the draft, it'll only be a couple weeks til OTA's start up and we get reports about how the players are looking in camp. I don't understand why they thought it was smart to take something that was evenly split between two huge gaps of dead space and then move it all the way to one side.

Radio City Music Hall was booked for the last weekend in April, IIRC

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

was that the one when they started running prevent defense with like 6 minutes left and a one score lead?

darren sproles won that game on a loving draw play as time expired lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fat greasy puto posted:

Yea and let rivers chip away down to the 5 yard line with 45 seconds left. i almost left early but i wanted to feel the full heartache of a last second defeat. and then i saw a couple chargers fans getting beat up waiting for the train and it made the whole trip worth it

raiders fans being human garbage? Perish the thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8wxvXE1IA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

89 posted:

I sure as hell hope so. It seems that it would make sense to put an exciting matchup on the night everybody has to watch the same game. I mean, as tantalizing as the Browns/Bills matchup was....I'm pretty sure the only decent Thursday game was Broncos/Chargers because of the upset.

No one has any idea what games will be important in November when the schedule is set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chargers WR Malcom Floyd will take part in voluntary team workouts next week.

I thought Floyd would never play again after that horrific injury against the Eagles last season. Here's hoping :)

• Locked thread