Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This truly is the best UKMT thread ev--

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

bollox I put an apostrophe in Greggs which shouldn't be there in the title.

:negative:

ruined...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The Coalition couldn't organise a bun fight at kiplings.

You say that as though they made some sort of mistake, or something.

No - it went exactly as planned.

Fuckers.

Edit: where's this list of 21 priority investors? I can't wait to see how they're all buddies of or related to Tory shitheels.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Farecoal posted:

whatever happened to that list of things to keep in mind in the op

The only thing you really need to know is that the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles - all other truths can be derived from that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Pint questions :negative:

The only reason I'd want a pint with Farage is so that I could make novel use of the beverage container.

Also what the gently caress: "However, Mr Farage was a more popular choice for a date among men - 12 percent"

So 12 percent of the polled men were gay and willing to date that jizzblister? Seems a tad high somehow

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

Just make sure you insist on protection, I hear he puts a lot of faith in pulling out

:golfclap:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Um maybe he works as a cleaner at the hedgefund office? Maybe he bootstrapped and you're all just jealous of his work ethic paying off :smuggo:

I have a question: how are housing markets faring in other parts of the world? Is the UK (or London specifically) a supernova of house prices in an otherwise timid galaxy of brown dwarfs? Or are other countries also implementing stupid schemes and seeing bubble absurdity?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh god not this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nobody ever questions Fry's poo poo status ever since that tweet was put up. Maybe we need to post tweets from all the other shits.

Or maybe we could scrap the entire section*

* Of course this will lead to an initial outcry of "where has the poo poo list gone :qq:" but the OP has to make the tough decisions that will get this thread's recovery back on track since the previous OP did such a terrible job when in office.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I want an OP that works for posters, not coasters. Goons just want to post hard and get on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

We should enter a coalition

I'll be the OP, you can be deputy OP and my scapegoat when the shitposting begins.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kegluneq posted:

They know their place - rightfully feared and isolated from modern society.

I would posit that a rich family would want to be feared for their financial power and isolated from the riff-raff in a nice gated community

1903: the British conquer the Sokoto Caliphate and incorporate part of it into the Northern Nigeria Protectorate, leaving the rest to the French and Germans

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

Dear UKMT, I have a deposit question. My previous landlord is trying to charge me £??? (£65 + however much it costs replace a lock) for faults that are clearly noted down in the initial inspection sheet. The trouble is that they are my first private landlord and it would be nice to have a recommendation letter from them. We haven't had any real conflicts until now, so I'm thinking I'll just let them take the money.

Is this sensible or should I be fighting the charges? They sent me an official letter saying that until they get the deposit they are severing all communication with me except in writing. So I assume they are knowingly trying to screw me over (I did tell them about the faults repeatedly including when I was moving out). ALAB

I had a very similar issue, but the landlord acted through an agency, so I sent a copy of the initial inspection sheet to them, and they caved pretty quickly (for all I know the actual landlord had no idea - I've heard agencies can be shady like that).

Do what I did. If you have no agency to talk to, just go direct to landlord. Don't be an rear end about it, just tell them that the lock was already broken (as noted in attached document) and that you believe the charge to be a mistake. Don't mention deposit protection schemes just yet. Save that for later. Make copies of all correspondence.

Odd that he's cutting off communication? That sounds suspicious, somehow. If you don't mind sharing, you can PM me the letter he sent you and I can advise on that. Send emails if you can. Sounds like he wants to be able to have the excuse of "i never received your letter!" and "my reply must have been lost in the post!" and poo poo like that.

I don't think you need to approach the CAB at this stage. Only if it escalates.

And if you ever encounter a landlord who asks for a reference from a previous landlord, tell them to gently caress off, because that just means you've found an rear end in a top hat landlord. In my experience, landlords won't ask for that. At most they might ask for evidence you have a job.

Or see what happens if you say "Sure OK. In the meantime, could you please provide a reference from a previous tenant" - no reason why it shouldn't go both ways.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I can post most of it (it was an email not a physical letter) on pastebin, there aren't really any private details in there: pastebin.
It doesn't even make much sense since correspondence presumably implies writing.

That seems a pretty benign letter actually, and yes I think 'writing' includes emailing.

A question: you say you were gonna be charged £65 plus the lock cost - is that because the blind is gonna cost £65, or is £65 some sort of admin charge for making a deduction from your deposit?

If the latter, you should absolutely include in your message that you believe the charge to be unreasonable and that you are willing to incur an admin charge no greater than £10. (I did that with mine - they tried to charge me £20... but £65 is just outrageous)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Party Boat posted:

if they haven't used one (assuming you had an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007) you could be liable to get your entire deposit back.

:eng101: three times your deposit back!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Answers Me posted:

Seriously, the 'post-debate analysis' on the news channel right now is ridiculously over the top.

An American import, sadly. Just wait until they wheel out the "body language experts"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Saki posted:

The bastard probably drinks white wine.

But he's developing a taste for Bollinger.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ah yes, the UKIP Female Voter Engagement vans.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The Ukip leader said that women do as well "if not better" than men in the City of London if they are "prepared to sacrifice the family life and stick with their careers". He also claimed there was not "any discrimination against women at all" in the City of London and that women often chose to pause their careers for "biological reasons".

Saki posted:

What's wrong with that?

Well the first statement is, sadly, probably true, seeing as men in the City quite likely sacrifice the family life as well. But the meaning of "family life" in that particular context is almost certainly "having children", and to suggest that women do well in the City if they sacrifice having children is to imply that that's OK, whereas (I think) most people generally think a good society should make provisions for women to have children and pursue a career which isn't part-time in a shop.

Secondly, claiming that there is no discrimination against women in the City is just complete bollocks (aha see what i did there)

And thirdly, "biological reasons" is a terrible phrase to use when discussing women's issues, as is "females" - it somewhat objectifies women. Especially stupid phrase when "having children" is such a commonly used phrase anyway.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 3, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Voting is the one thing that ought not be modernised because otherwise rich and powerful interests will get their opportunity to poo poo it all up for everyone forever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

winegums posted:

How so? Genuinely interested in how this would happen..."Vote Tory through our easy-to-use web app and you could win an xbox or some poo poo?"

Here's a taster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diebold#Controversy

It's not impossible for paper voting to be influenced by rich and powerful interests - it still happens worldwide - but once it goes electronic it's a gently caress-ton easier.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tortuga posted:

You can catch pheasants with a bin liner, they're barely more agile than a chicken.

They are particularly bad at getting out of the way of a car - nothing you do will move them, be it honking, revving engine, flashing lights etc. You have to actually get out and carry them off the road

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Phoon posted:

Get yourself a low weight takedown bow and hunt like a man.

Sorry but the manly way to take down a pheasant is not to hide in bushes with a long-range weapon like a coward.

The manly way is to tackle it and break its neck with bare hands. And then wear its plumage.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trickjaw posted:

Never work. The government of the day would be selling the winning lottery ticket to the highest bidder, we'd never end up with HRH Enid Stubbs of Paradise Gardens, Walthamstow. It will be THE QUEEN sponsored by BSkyB.

Burger King would fork out an ungodly amount of money to ensure that The King was actually The King.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wolfsbane posted:

Wait, what?

The symbolism is important.

Or the importance is symbolic?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The only way the Royal Babby will ever excuse its own existence in my eyes is if its first word is "republic".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Solution: Ditch the royals at the same time as Scotland leaves, so we don't have to do it twice.

If Scotland leaves I think we can still keep calling the rest the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Scotland can be called Outcrop of Lesser Britain :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you two are gonna argue about whether the monarch has the last word or not, maybe define what "the last word" is and on what issues the monarch has it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a pretty big deal because it removes a fair bit of national sovereignty, although it'd be hard for sceptics to make hay about it since the underlying issue is quite technical and if they object to it, they're basically defending the right for bankers to take money out of society's pocket at will when things get sticky.

Meddling Eurocrats Target UK Job Creators; Threaten British Economy

You're welcome.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hyuk!

Wait a minute... you can buy glass bottles at the duty free and take them onto the plane?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

...when some final catastrophe befalls the welfare state.

You mean when they achieve their goals?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

drive by snuggery

Is that when you sneak a ride in someone's caravan by hiding in the bed?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lord Twisted posted:

Watch the hilarious BBC interview with Miller. Avoids every single question by saying she didn't want to distract from the government's amazing work. Every answer to every question is that sentence. The interviewer didn't even comment on that. Staggered.

Sounds like a repeat (ha) of Strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are ongoing. Got a link to the video?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

What is with this resurgence of Christianity with the tories?

Their PR people probably includes a few Americans. Activating the Religious Outrage vote worked wonders for Bush. I don't think the British electorate are primed for such a move but it seems they're working on it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

How are Christians the most persecuted faith in the world today? I hear it a lot but it never goes past "We can't burn witches practice our faith as openly with all these queers anti christian bigots"

I dunno about "most" persecuted faith but Christians do, in fact, get a genuinely raw deal in many parts of the world, suffering harassment, attacks and killings by those of other faiths especially in Africa from hardline Muslim groups.

Of course when American TV pundits talk about they are referring to the RISE OF THE GAYS.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CancerCakes posted:

Aside - how *correct* is DIY? On the one hand Homebase is the home of middle class couples arguing over wallpaper, but doing things yourself because it is cheaper is anti bourgeois.

Or you could hire sole traders to do your work - they retain all the profits of their labour (instead of some fatcat who invested in Homebase shares) so they are the Correctest of all. That's nothing Correct or inCorrect about doing it yourself though - that logic could extend to poo poo like cooking.

As always if you're going to spend money on a company and you care about your own political integrity then the least you could do is hold the company to your own iedological standards. Homebase uses workfare, so there's that.

Me? I scavenge materials from the streets of London - people often throw out some mighty fine planks of wood. Made a good couple of shelves, a table, and a kitchen bench doing that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

instead of you buying materials from homebase yourself, you hire a workie who buys the exact same materials from an identical chain of suppliers

don't think you've thought that through

Yeah I think I got mixed up with labour and materials there. Homebase doesn't offer labour services, as far as I know. But if they did, you'd be Correcter to use a sole trader (even if the materials ultimately come from a company)

If it's about a finished product like a wardrobe then you could try to source it from That One Guy Who Makes Wardrobes And Sells Them On Ebay or make it yourself. It really depends how ideological you wanna be though - might be good if you're hardline communist but if you don't mind some of the basic principles of capitalism then you could just vet the company you buy wardrobes from, on things you care about like whether they pulp kittens into the chipboard.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

Really though you should know at least a sparky, plumber or chippie by the time you're a functioning adult.

Why you gotta keep bringing that up :mad:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

SybilVimes posted:

DIY necessarily involves owning a car, therefore it is not 'correct'

Not if you live in London.

But then again if you live in London you're probably not Correct anyway :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
A gay landlord who bought the property with a female loan from a muslim bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lethal Drizzle posted:

Coming out of lurking

Another Drizzle? I don't think I can take much more housing bubble commentary

• Locked thread