Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Yes, I'm sure ASIC and the mining industry going after a girl for an April fools prank will foster a groundswell of goodwill from the communities they are trying to dig up. I'm sure the communities can't wait for them to leave behind tailings and a big hole and have their kids locked up in jail for the privilege.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

Australian government may ban environmental boycotts
Parliamentary secretary says there is 'an appetite' for removing environmental groups' exemption from secondary boycotts ban

Coalition MPs and industry groups are using a review of competition laws to push for a ban on campaigns against companies on the grounds that they are selling products that damage the environment, for example by using old-growth timber or overfished seafood.

The parliamentary secretary for agriculture, Richard Colbeck, said the backbench rural committee and "quite a number in the ministry" want to use the review to remove an exemption for environmental groups from the consumer law ban on so-called "secondary boycotts".

"I do think there is an appetite in the government for changing these laws," Colbeck said.

The exemption also applies to campaigns related to "consumer protection" but Colbeck said he would not be seeking to change that provision.

The government announced last week a "root and branch review" of competition policy headed by the economist Professor Ian Harper.

Groups including the Australian Forest Products Association and parts of the seafood industry are also preparing submissions to the review arguing that environmental campaigns against companies selling products made from native timbers or "unsustainable" fishing amount to a "secondary boycott" and should be unlawful.

Colbeck said the change was aimed at campaigns like the "NoHarveyNo" campaign by GetUp! and Markets for Change, which is demanding the furniture retailer Harvey Norman stop selling products made from native forests.

"They are saying the forest industry in Tasmania is destroying native forests and that is clearly a dishonest campaign," Colbeck claimed.

Markets for Change campaigns against companies it says are marketing products, like flooring, made from "unsustainably logged native forests". As well as Harvey Norman it has targeted Forty Winks, Fantastic Furniture, Freedom and Boral.

Tasmanian campaigners also successfully lobbied international customers of logging companies Gunns and Ta Ann during the long-running dispute over the state’s forestry industry.

But the new state Liberal government intends to undo the forest "peace deal", expand sawlog production and stop environmental campaigns through tough new state laws aimed at protesters. It is also lobbying the federal government for a change to competition laws to stop market-based campaigns.

Colbeck said he would be suggesting a further change to competition law to increase the power of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to police general claims made by environmental groups about particular types of products "to ensure that they are truthful".

He denied his views contradicted the government’s stand in favour of freedom of speech.

"They can say what they like, they can campaign about what they like, they can have a point of view, but they should not be able to run a specific business-focused or market-focused campaign, and they should not be able to say things that are not true," he said.

"If businesses make a claim they can be challenged. If someone makes a claim about their products there needs to be some recourse to enforce accuracy."

The Greens leader, Christine Milne, said it would "shock Australians to see the lengths that the Abbott government will go to to cover the fact that they intend to log forests listed as world heritage areas".

"Freedom of speech seems to be a very selective tern for Tony Abbott, it doesn’t apply to trying to silence people trying to tell the truth in international markets about the sourcing of timber.

"He is trying to silence the messenger in order to create a market that would otherwise have none."

A spokesman for AFPA said the organisation would be making a submission to the competition review because "as a matter of principle we believe Australian businesses should have the right to conduct their lawful business, both here and overseas".

Groups like GetUp! and Markets for Change are currently exempt from section 45D of the Consumer and Competition Act which prohibits actions that stop a third person buying goods from another.

Section 45DA provides the exemption from the so-called "secondary boycott provisions" if their actions are "substantially related to environmental or consumer protection".

Grahame Turk, chairman of the National Seafood Industry Alliance, said his industry would make a submission to the competition policy review arguing both that market-based environmental campaigns should be considered secondary boycotts and that the ACCC should police the veracity of what green groups say about particular industries.

"We need a level playing field to stop these environmental groups promulgating misinformation about seafood industry. The truth is most of the Australian seafood industry is highly sustainable ... but they are still able to make these claims without any recourse," Turk said.

"I don’t believe that there are any unsustainable fishing practices currently approved by federal or state legislation in Australia."

A spokesman for the minister for small business, Bruce Bilson, said: "The government is aware of the view in Tasmania that the secondary boycott provisions, and some other provisions of the competition law relating to false and misleading representations, should more readily accommodate campaigns involving non-government organisations.

"The 'root and branch' review of competition represents an opportunity for those views to be put forward and considered in an objective way, mindful that there are differing legal opinions about the reach of the current provisions."

:argh:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

You mean the guy that was fined 50k (out of a maximum $220k) by a judge who said it was a low range offence, after ASIC took it to trial? And then the AFP and Tas DPP refused to charge under proceeds of crime?

Yeah. They clearly dropped the ball there by investigating, prosecuting and securing a conviction.

There are far better examples out there.

Tokamak posted:

Yes, I'm sure ASIC and the mining industry going after a girl for an April fools prank will foster a groundswell of goodwill from the communities they are trying to dig up.

As opposed to 'Market manipulation and fraud is fine and has zero consequences, as long as you do it for the lolz'

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I guess I am the only one that thinks that a system that can be brought undone by an april fools joke by a 16 year old girl perhaps isn't the glorious accomplishment it's cracked up to be.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are you a highly trained doctor?

Would you love to work in a lovely state doing more work for less money and worse workplace conditions?

quote:

QUEENSLAND'S government is looking to employ doctors from interstate to replace any doctors who resign over new contracts.
Victorian recruitment firm First Medical has emailed doctors in southern states inviting them to move to Queensland, according to a report.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Long as we're sharing, CBT worked well for gradually improving my anxiety/depression, which got pretty drat acute a couple years ago. I never got on drugs, but I was able to do that Earthship thing and then stay with my family and take a long sabbatical from working for a few months. Since all the constant stress of my last job was a big contributor, taking that away seemed to be just as good in my case. (thankfully my new workplace has a much more realistic workload)

Not everyone is as lucky as I am to just comfortably bum off their family for that long, though. I get away with it cause I don't see them often, so they're happy to just have me around and help out with my niece and nephew's childcare.

It actually feels kind of weird to say anything about it now, cause it feels so different. It's like, things are great now, should I bother mentioning it? But I do remember it being really really bad before.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Long as we're sharing, CBT worked well for gradually improving my anxiety/depression, which got pretty drat acute a couple years ago. I never got on drugs, but I was able to do that Earthship thing and then stay with my family and take a long sabbatical from working for a few months. Since all the constant stress of my last job was a big contributor, taking that away seemed to be just as good in my case. (thankfully my new workplace has a much more realistic workload)

Not everyone is as lucky as I am to just comfortably bum off their family for that long, though. I get away with it cause I don't see them often, so they're happy to just have me around and help out with my niece and nephew's childcare.

It actually feels kind of weird to say anything about it now, cause it feels so different. It's like, things are great now, should I bother mentioning it? But I do remember it being really really bad before.

Yeah fortunately I had my mom's place to crash at for a month while things got really difficult.

It's not a case of bragging, it's more that in a so-called neoliberal society where the individual is prime, the tools should exist for individuals to have care without needing to rely on a social network.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sheeit i'm on 300mg of Effexor a day and i'm not even sure it's doing me any good.

So was I about 6 years ago, then one day the psych decided it wasn't doing anything and dropped me to zero over a fortnight :shepicide:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Of course, with the advent of modern management techniques, it has come to the attention of capital that having a productive labour force includes ensuring their mental health is taken care of.

Companies that have a reputation for this will eventually prosper by attracting superior labour with low turnover rates and high productivity, ensuring that yet again Capital wins.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Zenithe posted:

Are you a highly trained doctor?

Would you love to work in a lovely state doing more work for less money and worse workplace conditions?

Honestly, the southern states must be salivating at the prospect of 90% of qld's medical professionals resigning - a good chance to bolster their own ranks which are always in demand for more trained personnel.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

So, I feel like boycotting isn't good enough, isn't going far enough. There are better ways to cost places like Harvey Norman money.

An old friend of mine had a term for people who came into his retailer, asked a lot of questions and invariably wasted a lot of his time: the tyre kickers.

He still got paid for that time. No revenue was raised for his employer.

I propose a tyre kicking campaign on Harvey Norman. Make a schedule for activists to go into stores, ask a lot of questions about a lot of different things, take up all the time of the salespeople so that they never get to see real customers, who will grow impatient and walk out of the store. Hell, even let them ring everything up on the register at the end of it, but then just walk out without finalizing the sale. The salesperson also has to take all those things back to the shelves they came from, cancel the sale, and suffers from morale loss, to boot.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

The APS (APA is American) doesn't have control over registration, that the PBA's job. Vic has had a net 500 new registrations between the 10/11 and 12/13 FYs, so more than 250 per year when you take retirements etc into account. NSW had less than 300 in the same period, which is worrying.

But yes, training (good) psychologists is pretty time intensive. For what it's worth, most unis will have an intern (provisional) psychologist staffed clinic that offers low-cost and often short waiting-list services to the public, plus you're helping the mental health sector by giving learning opportunities to the (well-supervised) interns.

The APS had control over registration until 2010 when psychology registration was shifted to the PBA which was created under AHPRA to bring psychology more in line with other health professions. The APS now only controls entry into the various professional colleges (e.g., clinical college, forensic college etc) which represents further sub-specializations in psychology. College membership is generally required for senior positions in psychology and to be a member of a college means that you have trained an additional 2 years post-graduation within your speciality.

I agree 100% with the choking off of the supply of psychologists and the problem has gotten a whole lot worse only very recently. In Australia, there are two pathways to become a psychology, a graduate degree (either masters, doctorate, or a "clinical" PhD), graduation from which will automatically grant registration as a psychologist, or a two-year work experience program which requires the applicant only have completed a 4 year stream of psychology (no graduate degree required). Professionally, the two year experience program is called the "4+2" stream indicating you complete a 4 year degree followed by 2 years of on the job training as a provisional psychologist.

Over the last two years, AHPRA has changed the requirements of the 4+2 program to bring them more in-line with the graduate degree program. The problem is that AHPRA has no control or influence concerning the jobs that 4+2 students typically take; these are industry jobs. The way you get approved for the 4+2 program is that you get a job <first> and then you apply to have the hours worked from that job count toward your 4+2 requirements meaning AHPRA has no say about the actually work portion of your job, just the psychological training you take from that job. The new requirements of the 4+2 program are, in short, impossible to meet with any work environment. To use an example, one of the learning objectives of the 4+2 program is a domain called "practice across the lifespan" meaning that you need to log practice hours with clients from each major age range however no workplace (outside of private practice which you cannot do until you're fully registered) actually sees people from cradle to grave, they tend to be specialized meaning that, to meet this requirement, a 4+2 student would need to hold multiple jobs over the span of their training. Another requirement is the administration across your practice of a rather punishing list of very specialized psychological assessments, most of which aren't widely used in most practices. Actual workplaces have also been made responsible for a number of additional reporting obligations to AHPRA that they weren't responsible for previously, including requirements that workplaces have, on staff, accredited supervisors and accreditation itself is difficult to obtain and tends to be reserved only for senior psychologists. The logical result from these policy changes is that most places of employment have simply stopped staffing 4+2 students and the ones that still do hire 4+2's tend to be a bit more exploitive as a desperate cohort of 4-year graduates who just want to obtain registration are willing to accept any job and any job conditions just to complete their training.

I have a lot of very strong opinions as to <why> AHPRA has changed the rules but the short answer is that Australia is unique among Western nations for allowing 4 year trained graduates become psychologists and this move represents an effort to bring Australia's system in line with Europe or N.America without causing the anarchy that will arise if they just eliminate the 4+2 program completely.

So, effectively, that just leaves the graduate pathway to become a psychologist but, in general, available graduate programs in Australia haven't really changed their intake numbers to reflect the new demand for psychologists created by the effective elimination of the 4+2 pathway. The result? Entry requirements to get into graduate level psychology have shot way up; when I applied for my own program in 2007, I was among 12 accepted students for about 120 applicants. This year, for the same program, the school entertained 400 applicants for 15 positions.

This is happening concurrent to school's cutting their own funding (mainly to humanities programs). Training a psychologist at the graduate school level is expensive; each one needs individual supervision, they are required to complete a graduate thesis (also requiring individual supervision), you have normal classroom work (which is less expensive), and they are also required to complete external (unpaid) work experience placements which requires a LOT of coordination. Schools are finding the investment vs reward for graduate students to be less and less beneficial and psychology positions are being shed in favour of classes with lower overheads (think law or business).

The solution, of course, is to increase funding for psychology graduate programs, sponsor work experience jobs in the community for 4+2 trainees and to, for the ove of god, allow professional and registered <counsellors> to claim against medicare for their services.

I think people tend to forget the story that lead to the fact that psychology is on the medicate benefits list at all. During the 90's, Australia enjoyed a national suicide rate that was among the highest in the western world and a major national study found that it was the lack of access to mental health care that was the primary driver for this trend. John Howard, acting his best for the cause of social good, first appealed to the Australian Medical Association for a solution. They proposed first that there was no problem and that the AMA was capable of dealing with the worsening mental health crisis and, when they were called out on it, they claimed that they would prioritize the prescription of psychotropic medication among GPs and increase the number of psychiatrists. Neither of these strategies made a dent in the problem and finally the power was taken from them and psychologists were added to the public benefit scheme (at the extreme protest of the medical community). This was done specifically to address this massive health need but in the time I've practised, I've seen the psychology board become less and less able to address this service need in the community and, paradoxically, they're actually choking off supply of psychologists with their latest policies. We have available staff of mental health workers in the community, professional counsellors, mental health nurses, social workers, who are unable to practice widely because they can't claim for their services via medicare. The Psychology Board of Australia, logically, opposes any plan to provide them with the means to claim their services via medicare, just as the medical community opposed this plan for psychologists.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BrosephofArimathea posted:

You mean the guy that was fined 50k (out of a maximum $220k) by a judge who said it was a low range offence, after ASIC took it to trial? And then the AFP and Tas DPP refused to charge under proceeds of crime?

Yeah. They clearly dropped the ball there by investigating, prosecuting and securing a conviction.

There are far better examples out there.

As opposed to 'Market manipulation and fraud is fine and has zero consequences, as long as you do it for the lolz'

I apologise. They are obviously doing a wonderful job and aren't at all influenced by the prospect of working for the same companies they are regulating further down their career path.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/watchdog-shies-away-from-enforcement-20140228-33r4a.html

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Sinodinos says he was unaware Australian Water donated $74,483 to the NSW Liberal Party while he was on the board.

"You deny knowing the company of which you were [then] deputy chairman was donating to the party of which you were treasurer?" counsel assisting the inquiry, Geoffrey Watson, SC, asks.

"Yes," Sinodinos replies.

But he says he was "aware that members of the company would attend [political party] events from time to time".

RESPONSIBLE ECONOMIC MANAGERS

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've never had horrible side effects from medication, but it took trying 3 or 4 different SSRIs until my doctor finally decided to put me on an MAOI. Difference has been amazing (in entirely positive ways). It's not something I ever expect to go away, and I've been very lucky to have had support.

Les Affaires posted:

The fact that it is necessary for a person to have a large, supportive and knowledgable enough social network in order to get the right treatment is possibly the biggest issue with mental health in this nation.

Absolutely. I think there's been a definite improvement in community attitudes towards it over the past decade or so (with things like beyondblue), but there's still a long way to go.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

The guy from the National Seafood Industry Alliance is so full of poo poo. I know a guy who works on the research side of the Seafood Industry, actually in making fish farming properly sustainable, and while some are approaching sustainability, plenty aren't. Things like tuna will probably never, or at least not in the near future, be sustainable. Theres a report on what fisheries and varieties are sustainable and ethical, which I'll post once I'm not phone posting if anyone's interested, so for this NSIA chucklefuck to be complaining about the "promulgation of misinformation" is laughable. It is in everyone's interests, aside from short term interested capitalists, to have a sustainable agri/aquaculture industry going into the future.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Serrath posted:

The APS had control over registration until 2010 when psychology registration was shifted to the PBA which was created under AHPRA to bring psychology more in line with other health professions. The APS now only controls entry into the various professional colleges (e.g., clinical college, forensic college etc) which represents further sub-specializations in psychology. College membership is generally required for senior positions in psychology and to be a member of a college means that you have trained an additional 2 years post-graduation within your speciality.

The state boards, not the APS, handled registration before AHPRA/PBA took over. College membership isn't needed for positions, although college endorsement (which doesn't require membership and is available to any registered psych with the right specialised training who's willing to go through the registrar program) is required to use a specialist title. It's not great, but no need to make it sound worse than it is.

quote:

The Psychology Board of Australia, logically, opposes any plan to provide them with the means to claim their services via medicare, just as the medical community opposed this plan for psychologists.

This isn't quite fair either. OTs and Social Workers can both receive rebates under the Better Access scheme, although (like the psychologist ones) they're much lower than they should be. Professional counsellors aren't under that scheme because counsellor isn't a protected title, so anyone who wanted to could set up shop as a counsellor. Until a proper framework is established for that industry, it's not really feasible to expect that they can access medicare under that job title.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-03/high-court-agrees-to-hear-challenge-to-processing-of-asylum-see/5364360

quote:

High Court agrees to hear challenge to processing of asylum seekers on Manus Island

The full bench of the High Court has agreed to hear a case which could lead to the end of processing of asylum seekers on Manus Island.

Lawyers for an asylum seeker in detention on Manus are alleging that the regional processing centre is unconstitutional.

The plaintiff, known as S156, is suing Immigration Minister Scott Morrison, and the Commonwealth, alleging the processing centre and the decisions to send him there were unlawful.

There is also an alternative argument that it was unreasonable of the Minister to send him to Manus Island because it lacks adequate facilities to house refugees.

In 2011 the High Court halted a plan for offshore processing in Malaysia.

The case will be heard on May 9.

:f5:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Some legitimate good news.

Now watch the lawyers office get raided for national security reasons (but brandis will swear that they wont use the information in court) and the asylum seeker will go missing in mysterious circumstances.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I am loving astonished at how fast and how blatant your government is trying to dismantle all the things that benefit people or prevent them from being screwed over by corporations. We can't even compare to that over here. Hopefully it bites them incredibly hard in the rear end.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

The guy from the National Seafood Industry Alliance is so full of poo poo. I know a guy who works on the research side of the Seafood Industry, actually in making fish farming properly sustainable, and while some are approaching sustainability, plenty aren't. Things like tuna will probably never, or at least not in the near future, be sustainable. Theres a report on what fisheries and varieties are sustainable and ethical, which I'll post once I'm not phone posting if anyone's interested, so for this NSIA chucklefuck to be complaining about the "promulgation of misinformation" is laughable. It is in everyone's interests, aside from short term interested capitalists, to have a sustainable agri/aquaculture industry going into the future.
I am interested in seeing this report.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Jesus Christ I am almost too scared to hope

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

So, I feel like boycotting isn't good enough, isn't going far enough. There are better ways to cost places like Harvey Norman money.

An old friend of mine had a term for people who came into his retailer, asked a lot of questions and invariably wasted a lot of his time: the tyre kickers.

I propose a tyre kicking campaign on Harvey Norman. Make a schedule for activists to go into stores, ask a lot of questions about a lot of different things, take up all the time of the salespeople so that they never get to see real customers, who will grow impatient and walk out of the store. Hell, even let them ring everything up on the register at the end of it, but then just walk out without finalizing the sale. The salesperson also has to take all those things back to the shelves they came from, cancel the sale, and suffers from morale loss, to boot.

making GBS threads on the guys paid minimum wage in a retail job. That'll show the man!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Those On My Left posted:

Jesus Christ I am almost too scared to hope

His argument isn't great. It's a rehash of the usual "not strictly falling under a head of power" reasoning which has been beaten (on slightly different terms) each time. Especially Re: Woolley; Ex Parte Applicants M276/2003 dealt with a lot of this in a similar area so I'm not hopeful.

http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/cases/s156-2013/Plf-S156-2013_Plf.pdf

quote:

THE CONSTITUTIONAL ARGUMENTS
15. Sections 198AB and 198AD of the Act are invalid because they are not supported by
20 any head of power in s 51 of the Constitution. The sections operate in tandem. Each is
incapable of operating in the absence of the other. Accordingly, the validity of the
provisions must be considered by reference to the scheme that they jointly establish.
16. The constitutional heads of power that may be able to support ss 198AB and 198AD
are the naturalization and aliens power ins 51(xix), the immigration and emigration
power ins 51(xxvii) and I or the external affairs power ins 5l(xxix). The scheme
established by ss 198AB and 198AD is not 'with respect to' any of these heads of
power.

We don't have the defense arguments yet. When we read them we'll have a better understanding.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 3, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Redeye Flight posted:

I am loving astonished at how fast and how blatant your government is trying to dismantle all the things that benefit people or prevent them from being screwed over by corporations. We can't even compare to that over here. Hopefully it bites them incredibly hard in the rear end.

Agreed, the speed and sheer amount of outright smug contempt is amazing. Coming from the US I can't be surprised at what they're trying to accomplish, but I'm constantly surprised that anywhere else would want to willingly follow the US example.

I often find people over here who never even heard of Occupy Wall Street at all, so maybe it's sheer ignorance at how bad things are in the US when you don't have healthcare or a living wage or any security. But even then, I don't get why some people lap up this neoliberal bullshit so readily - it's not like Australia has the same burned-in belief of "Anything that helps people = EVIL COMMUNISM"... does it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bifauxnen posted:

I often find people over here who never even heard of Occupy Wall Street at all, so maybe it's sheer ignorance at how bad things are in the US when you don't have healthcare or a living wage or any security. But even then, I don't get why some people lap up this neoliberal bullshit so readily - it's not like Australia has the same burned-in belief of "Anything that helps people = EVIL COMMUNISM"... does it?

The (relative) prosperity of the Howard years helps a lot in that regard.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

LordPants posted:

His argument isn't great. It's a rehash of the usual "not strictly falling under a head of power" reasoning which has been beaten (on slightly different terms) each time. Especially Re: Woolley; Ex Parte Applicants M276/2003 dealt with a lot of this in a similar area so I'm not hopeful.

http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/cases/s156-2013/Plf-S156-2013_Plf.pdf

We don't have the defense arguments yet. When we read them we'll have a better understanding.
Yeah I had a read of them a few days ago. It requires the court to get a bit creative, and they've recently shied away from that sort of thing.

In particular I think relying on Lim is about as good as muttering a loving prayer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I'm not sure how well this would actually work, but the concept of an organized mass time-wasting is funny enough that I'm in support on that concept alone.

Not enough that I'd do it without definite proof it would help accomplish the goal, though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno if anyone else is watching but Senator Arthur Sinodinos is getting absolutely nailed in the ICAC witness box. He's got a real deer in headlights look going on, like James Murdoch at the phone tapping inquiry a few years ago.

It seems pretty clear from his evidence that he either knew corrupt poo poo was going on, or at the very least suspected corruption but didn't ask any questions. Note that he was getting paid about $200k p/a for attending a few board meetings and meeting a couple of investors - apparently about 30-50 hours of work. A year.

edit; This was a particular favourite:

quote:

"You deny knowing the company of which you were [then] deputy chairman was donating to the party of which you were the treasurer?" counsel assisting the inquiry, Geoffrey Watson, SC, said.
"Yes," Senator Sinodinos replied.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 3, 2014

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
To return to mentalhealthchat for a second; If you're a university student, your campus will almost certainly have a free counseling service. Get in touch with them, use them.

I can't speak highly enough of Usyd's CAPS people.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Agreed, the speed and sheer amount of outright smug contempt is amazing. Coming from the US I can't be surprised at what they're trying to accomplish, but I'm constantly surprised that anywhere else would want to willingly follow the US example.

Most programs that help people are fairly popular (NDIS, Gonski), it's more that the public has been told we can't afford these things and therefore Labor is wasting money by doing them. Even so, the Abbott government is remarkably unpopular for a first-term government (considerably moreso than Rudd was during the time he was removed from office), so I figure we're doing alright. People are mostly pretty decent, they're just living in a country in which there's a media stranglehold by the lunatic right-wing.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

making GBS threads on the guys paid minimum wage in a retail job. That'll show the man!

You're not sitting on them, they still get their wage. It might make them look for another job and the associated training costs for new staff, high turnover rate, and loss of competent, experienced staff will cost Harvey Norman even more.

This has to be done to the saturation point. Essentially, you have to reduce sales to the point where the daily income is less than the cost of staff wages. If I know anything about Gerry Norman, it's that he's a shitlord and an idiot, so he'll cut back on the amount of staff at his stores, which will make it even easier to kick his poo poo in with tyre kicking activists.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Kegslayer posted:

Sadly this.

A good friend worked for Mr. Norman a few years ago, and the salary was woeful - supplemented by commission. Wasting sales people's time will wind up hitting them in the pocket just as hard as it hits Harvey Norman.

In fact, they had some system in place where a floating salary could be adjusted by commission, so that if you were involved in the sale of an item that was heavily discounted (as in below cost) you actually had money taken out of your pay. Also, selling items on sale meant close to zero commission and hence a sale in the department meant everyone got to live on scraps for a week or two.

We may just have to resort to talking with Mr. Molotov.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Aside from his normal level of myopia, what has hardly normal done lately that have inspired such ire?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

To return to mentalhealthchat for a second; If you're a university student, your campus will almost certainly have a free counseling service. Get in touch with them, use them.

I can't speak highly enough of Usyd's CAPS people.

I tried this last year with Melbourne Uni's clinic, I got knocked back because they assessed me as needing longer term care than they could provide (supposedly up to 12 sessions). So instead I get to take advantage of the regular Medicare system at a private clinic. Which provides for up to 12 sessions a year. Plus the gap.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

webmeister posted:

I dunno if anyone else is watching but Senator Arthur Sinodinos is getting absolutely nailed in the ICAC witness box. He's got a real deer in headlights look going on, like James Murdoch at the phone tapping inquiry a few years ago.

It seems pretty clear from his evidence that he either knew corrupt poo poo was going on, or at the very least suspected corruption but didn't ask any questions. Note that he was getting paid about $200k p/a for attending a few board meetings and meeting a couple of investors - apparently about 30-50 hours of work. A year.

edit; This was a particular favourite:

Even assuming he is telling the truth in that quote, that means he is not living up to his duties as a director, and could be held accountable by ASIC. Of course, they wouldnt dare go after him, so nothing will happen.

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/ASIC.NSF/byHeadline/Directors-and-financial-reporting

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You're not sitting on them, they still get their wage. It might make them look for another job and the associated training costs for new staff, high turnover rate, and loss of competent, experienced staff will cost Harvey Norman even more.

This has to be done to the saturation point. Essentially, you have to reduce sales to the point where the daily income is less than the cost of staff wages. If I know anything about Gerry Norman, it's that he's a shitlord and an idiot, so he'll cut back on the amount of staff at his stores, which will make it even easier to kick his poo poo in with tyre kicking activists.

Youth/Young Adult unemployment is huge out in the suburbs, and starting this poo poo will only make more of this demographic unemployed. Low paid jobs like these is what gets people in this age group experience to move to another job (when available).

Just boycott HN by not going there.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

This is the dumbest loving idea I've heard in a long time. They will not "still get their wage" if staff numbers are cut back and casuals are laid off, they will be out of a job.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sanguine posted:

In fact, they had some system in place where a floating salary could be adjusted by commission, so that if you were involved in the sale of an item that was heavily discounted (as in below cost) you actually had money taken out of your pay.

What in the gently caress is this? Wouldn't anything discounted that much be something they want to clear out of stock? That doesn't even sound like it should be legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This is the dumbest loving idea I've heard in a long time. They will not "still get their wage" if staff numbers are cut back and casuals are laid off, they will be out of a job.

No poo poo, and then as the remaining staff are under increasing pressure, they will quit, too. This is mitigated by the fact that a rival organization will start buying out closing Harvey Norman locations and will need to hire new staff. Those with experience will be top of the list

Yes, some people get hurt. Nothing ever comes free. Unemployment isn't forever. Really, the only way your argument could work would be if you were ultimately complaining that because a handful of people are or of work there will be less profit for businesses while those people retrain/find other jobs, due to their diminished income. The market, noooo!

This is the reason you are a terrible leftist. You don't have any actual solutions that could work, and you won't take any actions that will work because you can't commit to accepting that nearly all political actions have some negative consequences.

I mean really, shutting down detention centers will hurt the people working at them, so by your logic we shouldn't try to get them shut down.

• Locked thread