Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Last month's aborted thread began with the retelling of how Cenan hosed a retard. This month's thread begins with odds on if he'll gently caress a solid 4, 90 lb weeaboo mormon. Current odds are 3:1 he'll go all the way, 1:1 he'll get the herp.

Go go go! You bet now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Another MTI got busted and is getting 8 months in prison, surprisingly not for anything sexual. Fursther confirming my theory that the vast majority of people who'd want that job are poo poo.

quote:

She pled guilty to obstructing justice by lying to investigators about how a recruit got a black eye and forbidding others in the flight to admit knowledge of the incident.

quote:

One witness told the court he entered the Air Force expecting a professional learning environment, but that he did not get what he expected. He said upon arrival at basic, Ellis told the recruits they had brought too much gear and took away all but one outfit, sending the rest of their belongings to the trash.

quote:

One of the trainees in a female flight testified that Ellis often forced the whole group to do physical training while naked in the shower stalls. She told the court of several shower incidents where Ellis was involved -- including a time when Ellis woke her in the early morning hours and forced her to stand naked under a cold shower while she shouted obscenities at her.

The comment sections of any story about this mainly consist of :corsair: "BAHH BACK IN MY DAY!!!!!" and probably ramblings about the nonexistent stress cards.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was secretly hoping we wouldn't have a thread this month :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shyduck posted:

Pay for your sins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shyduck posted:

You and me both.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
FYI the chill USAF thread wasn't a month to month thread. Not sure which one of our mods closed it but it wasn't meant to be the monthly USAF thread. It's the chill USAF thread.

TIA for correcting this.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the service cap. Only jerks wear it, it seems.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Obama Africanus posted:

FYI the chill USAF thread wasn't a month to month thread. Not sure which one of our mods closed it but it wasn't meant to be the monthly USAF thread. It's the chill USAF thread.

TIA for correcting this.

The best AF thread. :chord:

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
I miss the chill AF thread already :(

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Has anyone turned down a PCS/exercised the 7 day option to avoid incurring a longer ADSC? If so, how hard were you poo poo on?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
What's the back story?

Most people I know were high fived and congratulated.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, I know trying to get an exception to the DoD's firewall's impossible, but I think I have a case.

I made a webapp that's been in place for a few weeks. It's being used daily by 3 fighter squadrons to track/map lowfly notams and royal flights, and saves time/improves safety. I'm using a hosting service called Openshift, which is a PITA. I'm using it because it's the only one not blocked by the firewall.

Think this is doable? I'd like to get a better host unblocked by the AF, and get my own domain that I want to use unblocked. Also, we'll be in a poo poo situation if the AF suddenly decides to block the hosting I use. Is this a run-it-up the chain thing, or can I just call someone?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If it saves that much time it might be better to submit through IDEA.

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
Didn't the IDEA program get shut down due to budget cuts?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Also, I don't think officers can use it.

damastas
Oct 15, 2012
http://www.jqpublic-blog.com/emails-edge-toxic-leadership-air-force-squadrons/

This is about my squadron.

Hahaha.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lol

Knowing what community that came from I am so, so not surprised.

\/ Congrats \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2014

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

Knowing what community that came from I am so, so not surprised.

so glad my VSP got approved today and I only have 4.5 months left in this chickenshit air force

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That was from a loving ADO? :lol: Whatever, pal, you're not even in the leave chain for 98% of the squadron.

Go ahead and deny my leave, we'll see what the IG thinks.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

so glad my VSP got approved today and I only have 4.5 months left in this chickenshit air force

So be on the lookout for a "just kidding" email from AFPC.

Every time something new breaks in the force management saga, I think "haha, wonder how they'll find a way to top that colossal gently caress-up?" So far I've only had to wait a week or two for an answer to my question, every time.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

iyaayas01 posted:

So be on the lookout for a "just kidding" email from AFPC.

Every time something new breaks in the force management saga, I think "haha, wonder how they'll find a way to top that colossal gently caress-up?" So far I've only had to wait a week or two for an answer to my question, every time.

quote:

It’s about precision. Releasing a weapon from an aircraft one second too early or late can have lethal consequences on the ground, including fratricide or the loss of a battle. Airpower is also about communication. Confusion or inaccuracy in messages can result in paratroopers being dropped into a hail of enemy fire or wounded warriors bleeding out as rescue helicopters fly to the wrong coordinates. But it’s also about morality. Executing unlawful orders or applying combat power in violation of rules of engagement can undermine an entire war effort.

:patriot:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Congrats my fellow VSP bro :hfive:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
God I hope mine gets approved. My boss came by to say that I shouldn't do anything hasty I might regret, that I shouldn't judge the entire Air Force by its recent spate of fuckups and broken promises, and that if I really want to make a difference I should stick it out and try to make command one day. We're pretty much talking past each other at this point.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dead Reckoning posted:

God I hope mine gets approved. My boss came by to say that I shouldn't do anything hasty I might regret, that I shouldn't judge the entire Air Force by its recent spate of fuckups and broken promises, and that if I really want to make a difference I should stick it out and try to make command one day. We're pretty much talking past each other at this point.

you can only change the system from the inside!

or you can just not give a poo poo on the outside.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your boss is dumb.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is this the same boss that made the comments on your VSP app? Because if so :laffo:

Also

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Your boss is dumb.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ask him if it's blue when he cuts himself shaving.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

If anyone ever needed an example of a toxic manager, they need to look no farther.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
You're an American Hero. Babies stop crying at the touch of your Christlike alabaster hands and crowds spontaneously burst into songs of praise at your passing. You are an American Airman!

Wait you're thinking about getting out, you shitbird commie gently caress? You make me sick.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Dominoes posted:

Hey, I know trying to get an exception to the DoD's firewall's impossible, but I think I have a case.

I made a webapp that's been in place for a few weeks. It's being used daily by 3 fighter squadrons to track/map lowfly notams and royal flights, and saves time/improves safety. I'm using a hosting service called Openshift, which is a PITA. I'm using it because it's the only one not blocked by the firewall.

Think this is doable? I'd like to get a better host unblocked by the AF, and get my own domain that I want to use unblocked. Also, we'll be in a poo poo situation if the AF suddenly decides to block the hosting I use. Is this a run-it-up the chain thing, or can I just call someone?

If this app is so important to these fighter squadrons (not trying to be snarky here, I promise), then their commanders and their bosses up the chain need to make that apparent to 24th AF. Nothing is going to happen over lower-level channels and you'll probably have to get a high up to sign off on a waiver at some level. Although I suspect that the comm guys are not going to like something that is being used for official business being on non-government systems and will push hard to shut it down (and security people will agree with them). The 'official' way would be to get your app C&A'd and set up on govt systems somewhere with maintenance and a budget and a responsible party but good luck getting that to happen through the DoD acquisition system in a reasonable amount of time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Is this the same boss that made the comments on your VSP app? Because if so :laffo:
Yeah, his reaction when I told him he was sending mixed messages was fantastic (paraphrasing):
"I don't see it as mixed at all: if you're going to get out, it's clear that you don't understand the value of service. That said, if you stay in you can still be a valuable asset to the Air Force and can learn some valuable skills by interacting with your peers at SOS. I think you'll thank me for this opportunity one day."

He's got a point that I don't have anything close to a job lined up on the outside, but I figure taking a chance is better than spending my days fantasizing about going AWOL.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sounds like your boss is trying to justify his own life decisions.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, his reaction when I told him he was sending mixed messages was fantastic (paraphrasing):
"I don't see it as mixed at all: if you're going to get out, it's clear that you don't understand the value of service. That said, if you stay in you can still be a valuable asset to the Air Force and can learn some valuable skills by interacting with your peers at SOS. I think you'll thank me for this opportunity one day."

Boo this man.

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Congrats my fellow VSP bro :hfive:

:hfive:

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 6, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

"I don't see it as mixed at all: if you're going to get out, it's clear that you don't understand the value of service.

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

gently caress that guy

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

:hfive: Continuing a long line of SA VSP recipients ('10 here).

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I, for one, say it's about drat time the rest of the world's disdain and contempt for the United States Air Force caught up to mine.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

hannibal posted:

:hfive: Continuing a long line of SA VSP recipients ('10 here).

They learned their lesson, and it's only a 1.25x multiplier now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rekinom posted:

I, for one, say it's about drat time the rest of the world's disdain and contempt for the United States Air Force caught up to mine.
I'll be sure to wear my "Rek was Right" pencil patch.

Dr_Scienceface
Jan 31, 2014

The goggles do nothing!

Dominoes posted:

You'd have to put up a change request to the 561st NOS (and hope the fuckwits that get the request know how to read), then it goes to CMB (who sure as hell can't read), then it gets closed with no action

Dr_Scienceface fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 6, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hannibal posted:

If this app is so important to these fighter squadrons (not trying to be snarky here, I promise), then their commanders and their bosses up the chain need to make that apparent to 24th AF. Nothing is going to happen over lower-level channels and you'll probably have to get a high up to sign off on a waiver at some level. Although I suspect that the comm guys are not going to like something that is being used for official business being on non-government systems and will push hard to shut it down (and security people will agree with them). The 'official' way would be to get your app C&A'd and set up on govt systems somewhere with maintenance and a budget and a responsible party but good luck getting that to happen through the DoD acquisition system in a reasonable amount of time.

Literally nothing is so important that comm won't shut it down to save themselves work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

hannibal posted:

Or....sell this app to the AF as Dominoes, LLC, for hundreds of thousands of dollars per license.

• Locked thread