Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lol

Knowing what community that came from I am so, so not surprised.

\/ Congrats \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

so glad my VSP got approved today and I only have 4.5 months left in this chickenshit air force

So be on the lookout for a "just kidding" email from AFPC.

Every time something new breaks in the force management saga, I think "haha, wonder how they'll find a way to top that colossal gently caress-up?" So far I've only had to wait a week or two for an answer to my question, every time.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

God I hope mine gets approved. My boss came by to say that I shouldn't do anything hasty I might regret, that I shouldn't judge the entire Air Force by its recent spate of fuckups and broken promises, and that if I really want to make a difference I should stick it out and try to make command one day. We're pretty much talking past each other at this point.

Is this the same boss that made the comments on your VSP app? Because if so :laffo:

Also

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Your boss is dumb.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, his reaction when I told him he was sending mixed messages was fantastic (paraphrasing):
"I don't see it as mixed at all: if you're going to get out, it's clear that you don't understand the value of service.

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

gently caress that guy

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Got my legit separation notification and VSP approval notice today. Best day.

Feel good post of the month

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cole posted:

you're like that person who says "don't gently caress a retard i can't tell you why but dont" of course they are going to go gently caress a retard

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

flector belt makes it

lol yup. :10bux: says he's a maintainer, which makes this

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope he loses a stripe.

all the more likely.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Make sure you always regale the gate guard with rambling 15 minute long stories about how much better things were back in your day, just to max out the inconvenience.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Derek Dominoe posted:

Don't confine your mission to bases. Make sure that any time you see someone in uniform, wearing anything with a military logo, sporting a mil haircut, etc. you interrupt whatever they're doing--especially if they're with their friends and family--to tell them every real and fictitious detail of your career, your friends' career, and your child's/nephew's/neighbor's kid's career. The more inane your job, the more you should elaborate. Don't let our clear discomfort and closed posturing dissuade you! Block the doorway, ignore all attempt to end the conversation, and keep talking. Be sure to throw in some racial slurs or other offensive material to add to the ambiance and force us into the Catch-22 of either ignoring your racism in front of our friends and family or causing a scene with a disabled veteran in public.

And by all that is holy, if anyone fails to kowtow to your every whim, whether it be waiters, doctors, or TSA agents massaging your balls, make sure they know that YOU EARNED THEIR RESPECT WITH YOUR SERVICE :bahgawd: and cause the biggest scene imaginable.

So yeah, basically this because retirees.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI9KhPJ-utE

e:

Good morning, Mr. Phelps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVaP9kEYVZ8

(Those drat Gideons)

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife, Ethan

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 13, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fenrir posted:

Are Blues Mondays still a thing, though?

The second coming of Skeletor brought them back for the '08-'12 timeframe, Welsh's like second act in office was to shitcan that stupid idea...it was within a couple months of him taking office, which seems like a while but by CSAF standards that's lightning fast and is a hilarious slap in the face of Skeletor.

Welsh technically left it up to the MAJCOMs, but I think even AETC has largely gotten rid of it by this point.

\/ lol. New slogan...AFISRA: We're worse than AETC! \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 15, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lol was that the one they tried giving her "spackle" at callsign night???

haha, holy poo poo

Also

Burn the air force to the ground.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

My favorite is definitely the crusty TSgt (female) who, after hearing the SAPR rep speak about an airman who was raped by 3 dudes and how someone should always be a wingman, said, "Sounds like she had two wingmen."

holy poo poo :lol:

e: Almost forgot, couldn't let today go by without posting this:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 19, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also we in the officer class would collect and polish your skulls if we thought we could get away with it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, gently caress the F35 program. Hijacking my building, making me move my office to some condemned rear end hanger. The whole situation is hosed. Two weeks for 2 AMUs to move all their poo poo down the road. Except supply and support, our proposed room hasn't had the floor finished yet. So we can't stay here, we can't go there. Guess we'll move 2000 sq feet of storage and equipment into the hangar next to the aircraft.

Until we get kicked out of that ofc. Because nothing stops the flying schedule. Expected to fly through all this bullshit. God drat this is a clusterfuck.

Maintenance is gay, Ops is gay, F35 is gay, Air Force is gay.

We moved an AMU to the other side of the airfield in a combat zone in less than 36 hours and didn't drop one line, quit yer bitchin' :colbert:

Nah that blows, glad your leadership is effectively communicating the shortfalls up the chain, oh wait.

Also

KirbyKhan posted:

Maintenance is gay, Ops is gay, F35 is gay, Air Force is gay.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
To be fair, golf courses on a military base are far from an AF only thing...I know that's the stereotype, but even a barren wasteland of a base like Twentynine Palms has a golf course, so it's not like it's just the USAF.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
The comments are (predictably) hilarious.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

As an airman it's my solemn duty to lift women out of the crushing poverty of base towns

I'm like an angel

A blue rapey angel (registered trademark property of US Navy)

FTFY

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm convinced 90% of the comments come from people who never served.

The best are the ones that are from some Cold War era retiree's wife, talking about how her and her husband totally made sacrifices (you know, when being in the military meant getting paid to be permanently hammered while galavanting around Europe and East Asia) and how young whippersnappers today (you know, the guys who've been going to desert shitholes for the past 20 years, i.e. their whole time in the AF) just don't have the same work ethic or dedication or patriotism as the old folks.

tuluk posted:

bullet point achievement for april 2014 I guess

Yeah must be a monthly thing because if it was for a quarterly you'd still be good doing it in May.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

Apparently the ALS students in our dorm are bitching because Capts are drunk into oblivion every night and pinballing down the halls at like 2 am. Where the gently caress are our enlisted role models to prevent these idiots from idioting all over the place??? Slackers

lol they put ALS students in those dorms

are any of them hot?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Is that Maxwell?

Hell, are the crack houses finally gone?

Yes, yes it is.

Depends on what you mean by "crack houses"...if you're talking about the row housing on the north side of Maxwell Blvd right next to the eastern base fence, yes they're gone. If you're talking about the general area around the Day Street gate, absolutely not, that area is still a complete shithole.

No bullshit though, downtown Montgomery is actually pretty nice now. Couple decent bars and restaurants and you don't have the persistent feeling that you're about to get stabbed/shot/mugged.

\/ Oh, haha...are you talking about the ones they put the ASBC students in back when ASBC was a thing? The ones that are between academic circle and the golf course club house? Because if so that's where Prop Wash is billeted at \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 25, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sounds basically like the performance trait average for navy evals/fitreps. 1-5 with 1 and 2 being adverse and require explanation plus documentation. Do the guys that bottom line EPRs have an average to maintain?

No, we don't do averages and there's no restriction on how many 5's a given rater's rater can give out in a rating period...although I've heard rumblings that is soon going to change as part of the effort to try and reduce EPR inflation that's supposed to be rolling out in a couple months.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fenrir posted:

See, the AF only has the "promotion" block which ranges from ...oh gently caress it's been so long... Um, basically "gently caress you" to "promote now" and the bullet statements that go on the EPR pretty much speak to that.

There's no promotion block on EPRs, it's just front side functional areas and then the overall backside ratings. Promotion statements on EPRs are limited to the push line in the "other comments" block and other less definitive more arcane ways of sending a message (i.e., Senior Rater endorsement on a TIG eligible SNCO...not getting SR sends a pretty clear message you don't want that person getting promoted).

Cojawfee posted:

It's stupid in that if someone five people truly deserve fives and you only have four, one person gets hosed over. But there's no real way to ensure honesty with our current system.

I dislike quotas for that exact reason...but it's the only way the system as a whole is going to get any better, because right now no one wants to be the person who "holds the standard" or whatever the gently caress while everyone else keeps on giving out 5's like candy. So while in theory you're doing the right thing by accurately rating your people according to what the form says, in reality all you're doing is loving over your people by giving all your truly average airmen 3's while over at Base X the only people that get 3's are the assholes who can't show up for work on time and failed their CDCs.

The only way things are going to get fixed is if there's a top down driven shift in how we rate, all at the same time AF wide. But that said...

Cojawfee posted:

I mean how to transfer everyone into one month. Do you shorten some people's rating period? Extend others? I don't know if there is a fair way to give everyone a decent shot of getting a decent EPR by moving their close out date.

And that's the problem. You're going to absolutely gently caress over some people by shifting rating periods because they're going to get a 120 (or even less, even though that's technically not allowed) rating period, and unless you turned into Superman during those 120 days that's almost as much of a kiss of death as a a downrated EPR because unless you flat out lie and include stuff from outside the rating period it's very difficult to write a strong performance report only pulling from 4 months worth of performance.

That's why you'll see people playing rater shift games when someone is kind of in limbo between supervisors to prevent them from ever hitting 120 and driving an EPR until they are with the supervisor that is going to have them for 6+ months of time.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they've been at that rank less than 90 days, they don't get ranked with everyone. Is there really a significant difference in performance of someone over 6 months versus a year? I'd say after having someone work for you for longer than 3 months you have a pretty solid idea of where they stack up with their peers. This system does end up screwing over new guys from time to time, but that's more the jackasses :chiefsay: that write up most of the initial rankings rather than the system itself.

What we're saying is that right now performance report closeouts literally go year round, there is no rhyme or reason to when they close out, everyone's closes out at a different time. So if we were going to shift to a "everyone's closes out at the same time, period" system it is going to require a significant one-time deviation to performance report closeout rules to shift everyone across a given rank to one date, and more than likely people are going to get hosed.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 26, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fenrir posted:

They must have changed since I got out, then - the only blocks on an EPR in my day were promotion blocks, and they looked like this:

Additional rater was generally a superintendent or a section chief, and read my earlier post about how you can have a 5 and 4 on an EPR and it's still a 4 because the supervisor's input doesn't actually matter at the end of the day.

Yeah, backside is the same general format (5 big blocks, one row each for rater and rater's rater) but now it's overall rating...in order of best to worst: "Truly Among the Best," "Above Average," "Average," "I got a DUI and no one likes me enough to fight to give me a 3," and "I literally murdered someone."

Mr. Nice! posted:

It might not bee too big of an issue. If you have less than 3 months with the current reporter, you don't get ranked with everyone else until the next year. Just extend whatever the previous EPR was. Everyone who has had more than 90 days since their last EPR gets a new one. Now everyone is on the same cycle. I know there's a lot more logistics to it, but it is far from impossible.

That's what I'm saying though, the guys who get the 90-120 day EPR will get hosed. Maybe it's different in the Navy but the way we write EPRs you have to include concrete accomplishments on there, they actually generally make up the bulk of the EPR..."Led mod of time sensitive aircraft program, gen'd 50K ISR hrs to warfighter," "Vol'd 25 hrs at soup kitchen, served 5K less fortunate, improv'd AF/community relations," poo poo like that. An EPR written with only 90-120 days of supervision (120 days is technically the lowest we can go) will struggle to look nearly as impressive as one written with 6+ months...that's just the reality of things.

That goes double for a NCO and triple for a SNCO.

Fenrir posted:

iyaayas01: Are there new EPRs now?

Like I said, the overall format is generally the same...functional areas on the front side (Primary Duties, Leadership/Followership, poo poo like that) with the overall rater's and rater's rater's ratings on the backside 1-5, I think they just changed some of the verbiage. Also like I said the backside is no longer a promotion recommendation, it's the overall assessment of the individual for the rating period. Same general principle as far as "everyone gets 5's, 2's and 1's require significant justification, 3's are the way to gently caress someone without causing too much of a fuss depending on your leadership."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 26, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fenrir posted:

So, do they still have that Additional Rater slot that actually determines the score of the EPR, and nullifies whatever you put on there?

They do but I'm pretty sure it doesn't completely nullify the rater's rating...I can't remember how it all works because it's been a while since I've seen a discrepancy there, but I'm pretty sure they both count for WAPS somehow. Maybe they average out or something. Now if you have a CC non-concur that's a different story, but that's a different process than just having the rater put a 5 and the additional rater put a 4.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fenrir posted:

Nope, pretty sure it's you. Go sniff your PT gear some more, then come back to us with your wisdom, shithead.

lol

WCS, is your countdown clock past 50 yet?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

iyaayas: Nope. Terminal in August. Had my pre-separation brief yesterday and it was entertaining how little those people knew vice how much they thought they knew. "Write your resumes like your EPR's!" "Your MHA for Post-9/11 is the E-5 BAH for the school zip code or the national average, whichever's higher!" lolnope.

TAPS in June right after my last TDY to San Diego getting wasted on the AF's dime.

:toot:

also lol at the pre-separation brief. The AF can't even show people the door properly, not that I'm surprised.

also also I would pay good money to see the look on some HR dude's face when he sees a resume written like an EPR

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you're not cool with the fact that the legacy of American airpower is subjecting enemy nations to a crushing campaign, the outcome of which is preordained by sheer weight of numbers and technology, and then using our uncontested superiority to run up the scoreboard by dropping high explosives and fire on the helpless people on the ground, you should probably gtfo.

Just a reminder that in one night we literally burned most of the city of Tokyo to the ground and killed at least 100,000 people (probably more).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

xaarman posted:

What operational squadron does anything with a mess dress?

In every mx unit I've ever been in it's been expected that officers will attend the WG annual awards banquet and AF ball, both of which require mess dress. Same rule of thumb generally seems to hold true for organizations that aren't officer heavy (i.e., not ops).

FWIW I think I've still got both my butter bar and 1st Lt ones if anyone needs those.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The only dining experience I had was one where the squadron rented a cabin in the woods and we got drunk and threw food at each other.

one of the few good times :unsmith:

I'm hoping this is what the upcoming "WG Dining In" is going to consist of.

Since it is a WG function as opposed to the officers/SNCOs in AMXS getting hammered in someone's backyard, I am prepared to be 100% disappointed.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

How else was he supposed to get his free spinach and artichoke dip?

Why do I know that's a thing they have

Applebee's is awful is what I'm saying

Somebody I know actually wanted to eat at Applebee's. In Las Vegas.

Someone else I know had their going away dinner thing at Joe's Crab Shack. Also in Las Vegas.

Another person I know had their going away at Famous Dave's. Again, in Las Vegas.

I don't understand what's wrong with these people or their taste buds but I wanted to punch them all in the face. Motherfucker you are leaving Las Vegas to go to the scenic locale of Dayton, Ohio, way to go having your last meal in one of the best cities for dining in the country at Joe's Crab Shack.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cenen posted:

It's probably different for officers but most of the going aways I've been to have been for lower enlisted and populated by lower enlisted so you kind of have to choose a place everyone can afford.

I can think of 10 restaurants in Vegas off the top of my head from a variety of cuisines that are lower priced than some chain sit-down restaurant bullshit like Applebee's that are legitimately good restaurants.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

I think the point being made is that there's a huge amount of awesome local restaurants out there that frequently cost less than these chain restaurants, but when your eating habits fall on a spectrum somewhere between McDonalds and Olive Garden you'd probably never know about them.

edit: but it's more of a class thing than a monetary thing anyway, I can name plenty of O-3s that beeline directly to Chipotle no matter what town they're in

Speaking of which, I found a delicious mom and pop BBQ joint that is literally housed in a shack in ghetto Montgomery, we need to hit it up sometime.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

hell yes but not right now, I think we're about to get leveled by an act of god

lol at SOS..."The nearest thunderstorms are in Arkansas, they might be here in 8 or 9 hours...weather cancel (indoor) classes for the rest of the afternoon!!!"

e: The only reason I'm bitching at this is because today and tomorrow are the only days where I was actually going to be legit semi-busy here, so compressing all of that into one day tomorrow is going to mildly suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

revenance posted:

There is an amazing hole in the wall Korean joint where the staff doesn't speak any English off exit 6(?)

Google tells me it's

Korean Garden
2801 Vaughn Plaza Rd
Montgomery, AL 36116

Ate at that place when I was here for ASBC, it is indeed amazing. I could've sworn it was closed when I drove by there a couple of weeks ago but it looks like there are yelp reviews from last month, so it must be open. I think that's what I'm doing for dinner later this week.

• Locked thread