Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hannibal posted:

If this app is so important to these fighter squadrons (not trying to be snarky here, I promise), then their commanders and their bosses up the chain need to make that apparent to 24th AF. Nothing is going to happen over lower-level channels and you'll probably have to get a high up to sign off on a waiver at some level. Although I suspect that the comm guys are not going to like something that is being used for official business being on non-government systems and will push hard to shut it down (and security people will agree with them). The 'official' way would be to get your app C&A'd and set up on govt systems somewhere with maintenance and a budget and a responsible party but good luck getting that to happen through the DoD acquisition system in a reasonable amount of time.

Literally nothing is so important that comm won't shut it down to save themselves work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cenen posted:

4H051 soon to be 4H071. Not counting Elmendorf we can really only go to Landstuhl, Kadena or Lankenheath and England is a really small shop they just recently topped off. Like the only other OCONUS we have is Hawaii a 1 person E6-E7 slot that I obviously don't have the rank nor any of the certs for. I don't know when we lost Turkey but from some of the stories I heard that place was pretty sketch.

Like I'd rather stay inpatient but I know that limits my choices even more so I'm willing to go back to a clinic because it sounds like they may start having the inpatient people start doing the clinics work because they are a bunch of worthless cry baby cunts who can't function on their own and should probably just be straight fired to make room for someone new to take a swing at putting papers in a drawer and answering a telephone.

If you can't find a way to have fun at Kadena then you may well be a worthless cry baby oval office

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Welcome to the largest metropolitan area in the world.

If you can get any sort of vehicle at all you travel about an hour west and it's like you fall off the face of the world, just mountains and nothing else. So hiking, camping, some random sports. The mountains go high but there really isn't a lot of interest in hiking them for whatever reason so if you are interested in that stuff, get a guidebook. I know a couple people who go mountain biking pretty regularly. Winter sports are huge, depending on the time of year. I dunno, there really just isn't a lot of outdoors.

If you're going TDY then you'll want to make some friends who know where this stuff is pretty quick.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The tablecloth is making a decent attempt at camoflage to avoid being in this picture

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah last time I did one of those verbal jackass expeditions I think some dude just kept talking about how prevalent false claims are and how women are out to get men, then the entire room agreed that "sexual assault" is blown way out of proportion

the air force is so terrible at all of this, it's like groundhog day as acted out by the guy from memento

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Almost every AFB has a golf course. It dates back to when people actually stayed on base for entertainment. But I think enough people still golf on base that they stck around, unlike the O and E Clubs.

According to the numbers, many of them are big money losers. But, nobility.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A Kpro posted:

Gen Welsh coming by next week and it sounds like there's gonna be a nice 2 hour long question and answer session at the all call. Can't wait for the barrage of stupid questions.

For what it's worth he's actually a really good speaker.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Apparently the ALS students in our dorm are bitching because Capts are drunk into oblivion every night and pinballing down the halls at like 2 am. Where the gently caress are our enlisted role models to prevent these idiots from idioting all over the place??? Slackers

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And he was, until we all realized that the purpose of a csaf is to apologize to civilian leadership and it's nobody's job to actually care about the bullshit

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

"Vol'd 25 hrs at base DFAC, served 5K less fortunate

i have fixed this for you

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

No joke I was reading some archive photocopy of an old Yokota newspaper and I saw an opinion piece about ensuring you don't "go native" and become a heathen. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cenen posted:

Feel like a lot of people are underestimating how many kids your average E-3 is popping out and how little their wives are working.

Edit: like seriously the majority of lower enlisted I've met with kids has at least 2 and a lot of the times 3. Super rare to see someone E-4 and under with just one is my experience. Now think about the kind of person who has that many kids with a job in the military and on that paycheck and are you really surprised that eating at some hardly mid rate chain restaurant might be something of a night out for them?

I think the point being made is that there's a huge amount of awesome local restaurants out there that frequently cost less than these chain restaurants, but when your eating habits fall on a spectrum somewhere between McDonalds and Olive Garden you'd probably never know about them.

edit: but it's more of a class thing than a monetary thing anyway, I can name plenty of O-3s that beeline directly to Chipotle no matter what town they're in

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 29, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Speaking of which, I found a delicious mom and pop BBQ joint that is literally housed in a shack in ghetto Montgomery, we need to hit it up sometime.

hell yes but not right now, I think we're about to get leveled by an act of god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fenrir posted:

It's even worse in Europe. A lot of people are so afraid of trying something else that they'll have their going away at the club or something on base. The worst part about that, aside from the whole eating on base part, is that it means they never went out and did loving anything, and welp, no wonder you hated it there. God forbid we eat that weird German food :ohdear:

(Seriously German food is loving amazing, and wtf is wrong with these people, get the gently caress off the base, morons)

e: I guess I can understand it a little in England where you're kinda hosed if you don't like fish and chips or whatever, but still. I had my going away from England in a little hole in the wall thai place because it was loving awesome as long as you don't mind making GBS threads a little fire. This had the bonus side effect of scaring off a decent bit of the shittier people I worked with, so that worked out pretty well.

English food: waterfowl braised in a thin water sauce
but they have good Indian food, right?

Japan's the same way, like there's so many people that never ever go offbase to eat and it's just completely insane, especially considering the Chili's onbase is standard Chili's pricing, so like $15 for an entree plus tip, so there's no way it's cheaper.

• Locked thread