Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Splode posted:

So because the claw means you and the asteroid/spacedebris/kerbal all become one ship, you can transfer fuel out of a tank you grab. This was a feature they advertised.

It also means you can transfer fuel between two ships, via an asteroid. Weird, but handy!

Headline news: NASA discovers asteroids full of intricate adaptable pipework!

Clearly they're very porous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Uhhh, Jeb?

I think you broke something on that last launch.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

RoverDude posted:

Ok so here is the plan.

I'm starting with just getting grabbing stuff to work. After that, I'm going down the route of printable parts based on a single generic resource. Oh... and this will probably not be nearly as brisk as my other endeavours since I am basically starting from scratch to prevent anyone getting all silly about accusing me of 'stealing' anything. I will probably do stupid things when I try this, so if any folks more clever than me want to help me test and idiot proof it, that would rock

I'm not particularly clever but I do want to say that you're doing amazing work, I'm glad you're around to counter-balance lovely modding attitudes.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Zaran posted:

Apparently the reason KerbalStuff is down is due to Majiir rage-quitting and deleting everything, from IRC:

Wow, who could have seen this coming from such a towering pillar of the community.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

loving with planes trip report: I failed to make anything useful of the actual plane with the stuff I've unlocked, but I've created a very satisfying and successful zero/zero ejection system for the cockpit :jeb:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

This game can be so amazingly pretty.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Guys, the scene in Interstellar where he was docking with the spinning Endurance needs a KSP-pilot-overlay on it so bad

Thank god I wasn't the only one.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Inglonias posted:

Tried to watch Orion launch but the stream cut out at the point of liftoff. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first being with the Antares launch. Is it just NASA TV being dumb or is it on my end?

NASA stream seemed like it was overloaded, the BBC had one that was fine and I was using some local Florida newspaper website.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jewcoon posted:

I downloaded Vanguard so I can parachute them to safety. But half the time I'm not even lifting off, the wheels are just breaking off. I got adjustable wheels and am using the bigger ones, but they still are randomly breaking.

I spend more time building zero/zero cockpit ejection systems than actual planes. Slap on a decoupler, parachute, and a few small rockets to lift it up and away and you should be good to go, even from the runway.

As a bonus, roverdude's inflatable airbags also work really well for a cockpit escape system.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

So while I'm busy modding the poo poo out of my game, should I get interstellar in addition to Karbonite, or are two separate resource mods redundant?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

RoverDude posted:

Yay! Stuff!

You're the best, dude.

I started a new no-revert career with a whole bunch of mods and it's amazing. Kerbal Construction Time is awesome and provides a compelling reason to not gently caress up your launches, it makes the game feel more like actually managing a space-program instead of a VAB infinitely making GBS threads out rockets. Stage recovery and the mod that adds parachutes by default to every Kerbal provide a way of recovering the launches you do gently caress up, and the Final Frontier stat tracker is great for motivating you to keep Kerbals alive.

It definitely feels like a finished and well-balanced game just with the mods, which is pretty incredible, really.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I'm playing pretty much the same way as you, with TAC Life Support included, making interplanetary missions a lot harder, as even a single Kerbal will need to take a lot of heavy supplies and there's a lot of risk/reward in mission planning as I could send Jeb to Minmus with minimal supplies, but if something goes wrong, there is no prospect of a rescue.

I'm up to the nuclear rocket-level of the tech tree and am very proud of myself for not losing a single Kerbal yet, though Jeb has come close a few times from accidentally taking off from the Mun with no SAS and wildly overcooking the gravity turn (turned off due to lack of solar panels at that point) and me losing concentration and nearly ejecting him from the system while leaving Minmus, thankfully I'd overengineered that rocket. Bill has also had to get out and push an early part tester back into the atmosphere after a staging error with failing levels of electricity. They're on their way to Duna and Eve respectively now so I guess they're probably my most 'in peril' Kerbonauts just in case they run out of fuel, though Bob is currently my plane pilot, which is pretty perilous itself. Also he's probably going to be piloting my Minmus base, which has 10 years worth of supplies and no way to return so if the landing goes badly, he's screwed.

Life Support gives purpose to bases because if something went wrong on a future Minmus mission, the Kerbalnaut in question could at least try to limp to the base and have enough supplies to await rescue.

I don't do no-quicksave, though. I don't reload if I make a mistake but the Kraken has stuck a fair few times on this save so I regularly quicksave.

Yeah, I have TAC and deadly re-entry on, too, so it's a very fine line between life and death in space. I have RemoteTech installed, too, so there'll be a trade-off between manned missions and unmanned probes. Kerbals need life-support infrastructure, probes need communications infrastructure. My long-ish term plan is to send SCANSAT mapping satellites to places like Duna to figure out a place to land before sending crates of USI colonization habitats before finally a crew at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I just started a .25 career that I spent more time downloading mods for than playing :smithicide:

Look like it's last stable build for me for a while!

• Locked thread