Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

mad.radhu posted:

don't forget your sample.
like i did.

:(:respek::(

At least we don't have to catch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

The Green Calx posted:

OH GOD HELP IM NOT GOOD AT ASTEROIDS

It's a big lithobrake, you're fine.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

ScottyJSno posted:

Any thoughts?

The claw :getin:

Actually if quicksave/quickload isn't working, you could try grabbing him. There might be some kind of state in the persistence file that might be causing the issue, but I'm not sure what that would be off hand.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
FWIW mining on Kerbin isn't a good idea unless you are building a plane to visit all the biomes or something; it's far easier to mine Kethane from the Mün and Minmus. If I used Kethane anymore I'd share my Münar miner, but that was from several ieterations ago.

Burn to the Mün when it appears over Kerbin's horizon, after you migrate to the Mün's SOI burn retrograde at Pe. Am I misinterpreting your question?...

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

double nine posted:

The second is that this satellite is flying higher than both its periapsis and apoapsis. What the hell??!

I'm reading this as:
Periapsis: 1,485,289 m
Current Altitude: 1,486,349 m
Apoapsis: 1,585,541 m

Which seems to make sense. Or am I missing something?...

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Brovine posted:

Anyone ever done this successfully? I can fly forwards fine, I can reach about 200m/s, but I cannot successfully land. Or turn.

Have you been making sure the CoM and CoT are lined up vertically? I used that and SAS initially, with TAC fuel balancer and that multiple-engine-throttle-mod whose name I cannot remember for the life of me for longer flights.

... I think my next challenge is to make a Duna VTOL. Think "Last Days on Mars" without the terrible movie part of it.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah that's the one. Sorry, I was phonepostin earlier :downs:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Normally I would be as skeptical of Curse as everybody else, but since Maxmaps has both experience with terrible mod hosting and has to satisfy non-Steam users, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and see how this all plays out.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, especially if some course had to be plotted to avoid gigantic craters or mountain ranges.

I'd rove the gently caress out of that planet :allears:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Ratzap posted:

Busy weekend so I'm late to the discussion. What's been said so far is good but you might also want to explicitly include the right for Squad to 'opt in' anything they feel should be part of the actual official release: partially, wholly or using ideas/images from the mod. No compensation required and maybe toss them a bone about accreditation.

Letting a mod bounce around the community is a great idea, but including a mod wholesale without compensating the author is a little unethical. Replicating functionality is a grey area I'll admit.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Ratzap posted:

Yep but companies generally don't want to leave even a tiny gap that someone can work an argument of 'you owe me X' into. Make it plain that Squad owns whatever is done in the way of mods if they really want them, couch it in ifs/maybes about compensation but you lose control or make promises at your peril.

I see. Well, if that kind of text is included, hopefully it will get flowerchild out.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Starting playing after a long hiatus.

Forgot parachutes and RCS :smithicide:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Met posted:

Got enough gas to land with thrusters? In a stable orbit so you can send a rescue mission?

I actually had enough fuel to complete the mission and land, but docking multiple times without RCS is a pain in the rear end. Good exercise though.

EDIT - we did Goonstation 2 a while back. I think I was pretty :downs: on the sheet and we limited it at 40 parts, 20 would be better. I would be down with Goonstation 3 hard mode.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 22, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a couple of hours so I'm going to build something. Just because of the whole multiple-Fustek-releases problem, we're using the download in the thread Dred_furst linked? X0.04-3-1, I think?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Goonstation is back! Now with an additional service module.

Overengineered

Obligatory almost-destroyed-Goonstation.jpg

Now with an attached service module

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

:golfclap: I don't know what will top this.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

OAquinas posted:

Create a maneuver node, and then when you're done and mouse over it it'll tell you how much dv that node requires. You also get the bar for the first one, but this tip is useful for planning 2,3,4 node maneuvers. .

:aaaaa: Has this been around forever and I just haven't noticed it?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I would imagine that mass conservation becomes a problem at some point :suspense:

Somebody get David Lynch of the phone.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Kerbal Space Program: thrust vectoring into the gas chamber.

Speaking of mods, which mod/texture pack was the one that put a thin atmosphere on Minmus with rad clouds?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

haveblue posted:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements. There are also sub-mods for this framework floating around that further tweak the look of things.

I was thinking of Better Atmospheres (which uses Environmental Visual Enhancements, I thought?), thanks a ton. I know that it's far from realistic, but I'm a sucker for cool extraterrestrial locations since I've gone through the entire Kerbol system before.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I learned in FAR that the words "High Dynamic Pressure" should be feared and that aggressive aerobraking is dangerous. How did I learn that? With my spaceplane arrowing into a mountain, with half of its wings at 1km/s. :jeb: I didn't get any good screenshots since it was night, but its probably my favorite learn-by-failure experience in KSP so far.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
^^^ Kerbals are our greatest threat.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Nalesh posted:

How do I find asteroids in career mode? can't seem to find any info on it.

Go into the tracking station, select the asteroid (a question mark) and press the track button. I think it is blue in the lower left corner.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel like a loving failure, but I had to give up on FAR after my first time using it. I've watched tons of Manley videos, read up on FAR, but I couldn't even get past the Mercury-Atlas 6 stage of my new career save. It's a really lovely feeling after having played KSP for two years.

I'm no expert on ascending with FAR, but when I started put I'd make a rocket with like 1.5 TWR and aim for 45 degrees on the navball not too soon but before I hit Mach .9. About halfway up I could rotate closer to the horizon because there's not a lot of atmosphere trying to wreck my poo poo anymore.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Postal posted:

Also, I asked this earlier without response. Where can I download Procedural Fairings? It isn't on Curse

https://github.com/e-dog/ProceduralFairings/releases. Google is your friend.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Met posted:

What I really want is B9, so maybe I should keep trying to make that work.
The bundle from the support thread doesn't work?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Maxmaps posted:

Bac9 is workig on a cool new version. Also OH MY GOD IT CLIMBS.

:eyepop: That's Bac9? Holy poo poo that owns.

edit: VVV welp that's embarassing VVV

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 7, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Synnr posted:

Presumably outside the orbit of all the planets?

The wiki says that Jool will sometimes be farther away from Kerbol then Eeloo.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Icon Of Sin posted:

Turns out that my computer hates Interstellar for whatever reason. It was the offending mod that kept crashing my game on launch, even after a purge and re-install of both mods (I went to get updated versions of Interstellar, Mechjeb, etc) and the game itself. I'm back to playing now though :)

Are you using Active Texture Reduction, If not, you should.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Maxmaps posted:

Edit: Also this video deserves to be seen everywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszJRsGzo9A

I knew it was gold when I recognized The Prodigy.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess it's time to get that boot camp partition running.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Maxmaps posted:

I have no idea if people are gonna be into it, but I love our mission flavor text generator So.Much.

... There is a way to view these after completion right? :allears:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Edit - Since we're all about the green men in space, I highly recommend "For All Mankind", a documentary about the Apollo program cut mainly with footage that was shot in space by the Apollo astronauts (with some other footage from ground control and probably Gemini). It's edited to look like a single trip. Worth if you're waiting to update, I think it's on Hulu.

revdrkevind posted:

This will cause a great storm of Sperglords who will bemoan how Squad have lost their way.

:livintrope:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 16, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Chuck Tanner posted:

What is it with goons trying to jump on everything and call it creepy?

It's just projection, pretty common on the internet.

maniacdevnull posted:

Everybody stop F5ing and laugh at my misfortune.

drat, how did this happen? Did it flip on the ground or on the way down?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
You don't lose an unsaved vessel when you leave the VAB. Is this new? If its not I feel silly, if it is bravo.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Lord Yod posted:

I know a bunch of us are probably already paying attention to Karbonite, but this is freakin cool for a mod that started like a week ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ug1Mkez8KI

I'm running FAR, so I guess a gigantic SSTO monstrosity to Jool is my next big project.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

FlyingCheese posted:

I don't know much about the internals of KSP but wouldn't it be feasible to just make it one big window?

Zero-G Substance Test Module.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

FredMSloniker posted:

There was a video earlier in this thread of someone circling Kerbin ludicrously fast by taking advantage of a certain motor being massless. I can't remember the right keywords to find it myself; can someone hook me up?

Abyssal Lurker, pro tier as usual.

http://youtu.be/yOvfpsYFCsI

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Just double checking, I don't have Kerbal Space Ebola if after I launch the game there is no ModStatistics folder in my Gamedata folder, right? :ohdear:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is there a way to tell which parts have fuel and which do not? Or where an engine will draw fuel from? I have had multiple craft with reserves of fuel they couldn't easily use because I either didn't have fuel lines installed correctly or had weird assumptions on how adding fuel tanks worked.

Certain objects cannot have fuel transfer through them (like decouplers) unless you select an empty and a full tank and transfer fuel between them (right click one, then option[or alt]+right click the other).

Unless I have weird assumptions about fuel, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Which 4k monitor should I buy so that goons can tell me my vision is bad?

I run KSP at 1900x1200 instead of my monitor's native resolution, but seriously this whole discussion is getting silly.

• Locked thread