Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pig slut lisa posted:

I hadn't gotten to weigh in on foreskin chat yet

I guess you missed the cut off.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Any Republican who doubts climate change should only look at the rising costs of flood insurance, especially in coastal regions. That's the "free market" or whatever speaking loud and clear. You'd think they'd hear it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Not if you legislate to delay bringing up to date the data underlying the rates!

Fried Chicken posted:

I forget, did that bill ever pass? I mean it would fly through to McCrory's desk today and get signed in the blink of an eye, but I don't remember if it got laughed down in the previous session

zxqv8 posted:

Wait. Holy poo poo. They actually do that?

What arguments are they using to try to say "we don't need to know this information" other than literally just that?

Can you guys link to this story/bill? Thanks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for this. Why would the developers want to suppress the science in order to build poo poo that's going to be washed out as sea levels rise though? Or is it just some sort a short-sighted money grab where they fleece people to buy beachfront condos that...

Oh.

poo poo. My wife and I are moving to the beach soon and I studied sea level rise before we made the decision. Now I need ot go back and figure out who made the studies we looked at.

Thanks again though. I hadn't heard about all that poo poo in NC. You'd think they'd know better. Ever mother loving hurricane everywhere seems to hit NC.

comes along bort posted:

Green Day made good music? :confused:

He meant to type "The Ramones" or "The Clash".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

The 2000s were so bad they killed three of the Ramones.

And one of The Clash!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yes, true, it was about "state's rights", specifically the right to raise chickens for fighting, a right that's come under more fire this year than anyone would have guessed!

Jesus Christ.

OK. How about we let rednecks have their cockfights so long as they cook and give the dead chickens to the people who's SNAP benefits were cut? Isn't that what's done in Mexico and Spain with bullfights? The whole thing is gross and stupid (watching animals fight for sport/gambling).

Who in the god drat gently caress wants to watch stupid animals kill each other for sport? Don't we already have MMA, boxing, war, YouTube and Animal Planet? I don't understand cockfighting, but I've never understood horse and dog racing either so chalk me up as big old liberal pussy I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Strictly speaking, all that proves is that the companies think enough customers believe in climate change that it warps their demand functions and allows the companies to charge more without losing customers. :colbert:

Maybe, but I think it means they know what's up and I was using it as an example of Republican hypocrisy along of the lines of "let the market decide". Otherwise, if they knew or believed it was bullshit, they'd just sucker people into cheap premiums on flood insurance.

No wait, they'd never do that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone vote for Jeb Bush? Did you just blank out your memory between 2001 and 2008? Or do you think we need more successful terror attacks, more kidnap torture kill squads, more wars, more intentional inflation of destructive financial bubbles, more bailouts, more crumbling infrastructure, more spies outed for political points, more naked graft, more fictitious and politically motivated lawsuits against other parties, more using counterterror assets against anti war protestors, abuse of eminent domain to seize private assets, more destruction of cities and more private appropriation of public assets?

he said Jeb Bush and by Republican standards he's not quite the horrible monster that seems to be the modern standard of Republican front runners. He's been smart enough to stay out of the fray when you think about it.

As a resident of Florida, I can personally attest that he's not nearly the dummy and incompetent fool that George W. was/is. I don't like him and likely wouldn't vote for him, don't get me wrong, but he wouldn't be an incompetent retard or a cartoonish over lord.

As Republicans go, he'd be credible enough.

Chris Christie posted:

He was governor of my state from 1999-2006. And he was fine OK enough as Repulblicans go.

What this guy said, along with the edit and the "hating Hillary" part.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 7, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Stuff about George and Jeb Bush

No, I get all that.

I just think Jeb is much more qualified for the office than George could ever dream of being and at the very least isn't a walking, retarded punch line like his idiot brother. I even said I wouldn't vote for him. But also that by modern Republican standards, he fits the bill as a reasonable GOP candidate. I thought I made my point clear but maybe not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jeb is the perfect modern Republican candidate, because he simultaneously politically credible and also horrible and grotesque beyond all possible parody.

That's what I meant. Thanks for condensing my post for me.

edit: catching up

SedanChair posted:

Dubya was no idiot...Bush is smarter than Obama

Sure Bush was an idiot.

He was an idiot man child, born of privilege, who was practically handed the presidency as a birthright and did almost every single thing when he was in office absolutely wrong. This was after failing at every thing he tried to do to before that despite being required to to nothing other than not the wreck the very expensive car that he was handed the keys to and, if he does what he's told, he gets to keep his allowance and continue driving it. The man drove baseball teams and oil companies into the ground for Christ sake.

Of course a lot of those wrong decisions he made were controlled and mandated by the people that put him there and really called the shots, bit come the gently caress on. GWb was a national embarrassment on the world stage for 8 years and got a free pass for 4 of them because of 9/11.

You're seriously going to try and convince me that Bush is more intelligent, introspective and thoughtful than Barrack Obama?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 8, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

It does not. At least to me, but knock yourself out if the boss lets you out a half hour early and your wife isn't on you about some silly bullshit and you have a half hour to spend on your laptop.

SedanChair posted:

That's a good point. But apprehending bin Laden wouldn't have stopped 9/11. Apprehending KSM might have but there was little institutional pressure to do so. And I'm not sure Gore would have been any more inclined to follow up on Clinton's counter-terror moves than Bush was; remember how much Gore had distanced himself from Clinton and, justifiably or not, Clinton's interventions had acquired a strong "wag the dog" flavor.

I'm not real sure where to start with this, but...drat. Let's see.

How can you say that with even the slightest measure of certainty? The "Most Important Thing We Know" as the Clinton/Gore administration passed the baton was "this guy (OBL) means business and is not loving around. Here's the intelligence. If you don't believe us, listen to these non-partisan guys (Richard Clark). Forget about blowjobs and seriously, pay attention to this of it's gonna blow up in your face".

Clinton's interventions acquired that "wag the dog flavor" because that's the brush the GOP painted with him with at the time and they were all "OMG! This dude got his cock sucked! Let's impeach him! Oh! He's bombing brown people to distract from the blowjob!"

I'm not a tremendous fan of Bill Clinton or Barrack Obama myself but you seem to be making weird arguments all of a sudden that seem out of character for you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I wasn't saying that Clinton wasn't completely justified, and the "wag-the-dog" accusation unfounded. But Gore didn't want to be associated with his boss at that point. Now I'm sure that he'd have consulted Clinton extensively once in office, but to what end? Finding and killing bin Laden? How exactly do you imagine terror networks are organized? What about KSM? Zawahiri? Are you saying they could have gotten them all? Quick enough to stop it filtering down to Atta? All they knew was that they were determined to strike. Of course they're determined to strike, they're al-Qaeda!

Oh but Gore could have found bin Laden, and stopped 9/11. Please.

I didn't say any of that. I pointed out that you posted with certainty that if OBL had been taken out when Clinton wanted to that it wouldn't have prevented 9/11. It may have. It may not have. Or it may have at least postponed it, lessened the impact (by way of a lesser attack) or even diverted it to a different city or country.

I don't know all that much about how terrorist networks are organized but I know a little and I know if you chop off the head, disrupt the organization and choke the money supply you can definitely slow them down and also that by taking them seriously, as Bush did not, you can at least keep your eye on the ball and know what they're planning. Bush straight up blew off anyone who tried to tell him "here's what we've got and what we're worried about. You might want to keep an eye on this thing."

SedanChair posted:

I can start a "The Rehabilitation of Dubya" thread when I get off work if that makes sense.

You could also elaborate on this unless it was a joke in which case "whoosh" on my part.

Gore distanced himself from Clinton because every time Bill's name was brought up, there were snickers about interns and cocksucking and it was hard to take him seriously as a result, not due to his foreign policy for crying out loud. I'm reasonably certain he'd have continued the work done by the previous administration and really seriously doubt that Iraq would have come up at all.

I shouldn't have to be the guy on the internet that has to document/link the hundreds of ways Bush ignored Clinton/Gore/Clark and their warnings about this motherfucker Bin Laden and what he was trying to do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

How big does the pile of skills have to be before you declare a leader "warlike"?

I'm not really sure. I haven't seen a President with a "big pile of skills" in my lifetime.

SedanChair posted:

Media were always on the lookout for (Bush) gaffes...

Oh for crying the gently caress out loud. OK. I think I may have you confused with a different poster at one time I considered reasonable but who then started posting dumb poo poo that gave me pause.

My mistake.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Spatula City posted:

And it's profoundly stupid because most of the same people complaining now wanted the stringent screening procedures when the country was on high terror alert. Maybe unsurprising, though, because these people are probably straight up unable to remember policy positions they held even a year ago. I'm not mocking them here, I literally suspect their memories are that bad.

No. They only wanted "suspicious looking people" to be screened and inconvenienced. I'll let you guess what "suspicious" means in their eyes.

pangstrom posted:

It's something Reuters published, "sourced" from Florida's Dept. of Law enforcement. I think someone in Reuters thought "gun deaths = bad = should be low" or they just learned how to invert the axis or something if "sourced" just means "got the data from", otherwise maybe FDLE cooked it. It shows up in a lot of the "worst charts/infographics" lists.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-deaths-in-florida-increased-with-stand-your-ground-2014-2

Holy loving poo poo. That actually took me a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm wayyy behind in the thread reading about Hillary's VP choices so please excuse me, but I have a weird feeling that Hillary will not be the Democratic nominee in 2016. I'm not sure why other than it never seems to work out that way this far away from the election.

It looks more and more like Jeb will be the GOP nominee though. For a long time I would have bet Christie but we know how that turned out. Maybe Rand in the VP slot to shore up the conservative cred. By GOP standards, that's not a horrible ticket really.

• Locked thread