Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The "Ohhh yeah charitable contributions will totally make up for our attempted welfare/public works budget slashing!" thing is pretty infuriating to me because they're sort of tacitly approving welfare/public works stuff as a Good Thing (which would get them crucified by their base) while simultaneously gleefully hamstringing or destroying the programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

joepinetree posted:

As far as I know, none of the currently implemented school voucher systems in the US allow kids to choose another public school to attend. The way they've been implemented is that families under a certain income threshold can choose to take their kids out of their local public school and get a voucher to enroll them at a private one.

Los Angeles has a non-voucher system to provide school choice to students in specific geographic boundaries:

http://zoc-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com/

Most of these are public schools (including magnet and pilot schools, which are in-district). There are some charters using co-location that may be on the site of a public school.
Generally, the idea is a student at least has a choice for a public high school (usual a small learning community/academy/interest program) that meets their interests.

Since the schools are in the same general area, you can argue if they're getting a "real" choice or whether it's an out for a "bad" school.

The broader issue of vouchers and Michele Rhee-like "student choice" just moves the poo poo around. It's a stopgap fix for a systematic failing of students in the public school system. I mean, somewhere along the way you realize that some kid can't read because they didn't receive foundational support and hit a wall in high school.

There's also a lot to be said about alternative schooling to deal with fringe cases -- (like the student that shows up twice a week, spends most of the time hiding out in the bathroom, etc etc).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

The broader issue of vouchers and Michele Rhee-like "student choice" just moves the poo poo around. It's a stopgap fix for a systematic failing of students in the public school system. I mean, somewhere along the way you realize that some kid can't read because they didn't receive foundational support and hit a wall in high school.

There's also a lot to be said about alternative schooling to deal with fringe cases -- (like the student that shows up twice a week, spends most of the time hiding out in the bathroom, etc etc).
None of any of this poo poo, at least on the right, has Thing One to do with helping those edge case kids. If they do so it is by accident. Their goal is to break the teacher's unions because organized labor is offensive to them, and to turn the public school system into another source of distributable patronage.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Charter schools are economic rent seeking. You have to go to school, I have the school, so pay up because you have to go to school. It is as textbook as the literal textbook example of the baron guarding the river.

And if you think we will get competition from rent seekers rather than cartel actions to lock in a relative margin look at every other rent seeking body out there.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

"School choice" is a segregationist throwback to the anti-busing protests and riots. The only thing it's a fix for is white students having to occupy the same building (because the way gifted/AP class placement works there's little chance they'll actually interact) with poors and minorities.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Charter schools are economic rent seeking. You have to go to school, I have the school, so pay up because you have to go to school. It is as textbook as the literal textbook example of the baron guarding the river.

And if you think we will get competition from rent seekers rather than cartel actions to lock in a relative margin look at every other rent seeking body out there.
Well, we can look forward a little ways down the pike, if they succeed in their plan, to a bitter struggle between the charter school barons and the people who just don't want a single thin dime of their precious tax dollars going to educated nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnight club going students.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Jindal, Paul, and Santorum are all going to appear at the Iowa GOP convention in June

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/07/three-address-iowa-gop/7407945/

Someone post the "it's happening!" Gif

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
There was a press conference" the minimum wage bill in mn this morning, you'll never guess what the Republican response was focused on... obamacare! Well, really MNSure, but they are really fixated on this story of the governor knowing it was going to have problems and letting it go live anyways. I don't see anyone biting on it, and MNSure is one of the more successful state programs so good luck with that Republicans! Also one of/the lead Republican candidate for governor said he would work to repeal the COL indexing and possibly repeal the minimum wage increase altogether, which I do not see going over well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know this thread was bonkers for Alpha House, so lemme plug Veep here. It is a hilarious, deeply cynical take on American politics, I feel like y'all would love it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There was a press conference" the minimum wage bill in mn this morning, you'll never guess what the Republican response was focused on... obamacare! Well, really MNSure, but they are really fixated on this story of the governor knowing it was going to have problems and letting it go live anyways. I don't see anyone biting on it, and MNSure is one of the more successful state programs so good luck with that Republicans! Also one of/the lead Republican candidate for governor said he would work to repeal the COL indexing and possibly repeal the minimum wage increase altogether, which I do not see going over well.

Adding this to the list as one more reason this state is better than Wisconsin. :unsmith: I'm really pleased they got the inflation index into the main bill and didn't have to wrangle it into a Constitutional Amendment on the ballot.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I know this thread was bonkers for Alpha House, so lemme plug Veep here. It is a hilarious, deeply cynical take on American politics, I feel like y'all would love it.

I'm Hendrixposting so brevity but I concur. It's a really, really funny show. Less partisan than The Thick of It, which wasn't explicitly partisan except that you could clearly categorize the cast, whereas with Veep all the policy topics are milquetoast center-center-left uncontroversial things. It's got a different sensibility than Alpha House, which is way more rooted in actual political context rather than a "politics" atmosphere.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Warszawa posted:

It's got a different sensibility than Alpha House, which is way more rooted in actual political context rather than a "politics" atmosphere.
I mean christ one of the main cast members in Alpha House is Literally Marco Rubio By A Different Name.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Thad Cochran... Jimmy Carter... hmmm, are they brothers?" wonders the Club for Growth in its new ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1y0zWGMU_g

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I mean christ one of the main cast members in Alpha House is Literally Marco Rubio By A Different Name.

Everyone in alpha house is a member with a different name. It is part of why it is glorious

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh these freaking people are impossible to reason with.

Am I allowed to join the Democratic party but still vote for Jeb Bush in 2016??? Or would I just be swapping RINO derision for DINO derision???

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chris Christie posted:

Am I allowed to join the Democratic party but still vote for Jeb Bush in 2016??? Or would I just be swapping RINO derision for DINO derision???

Why the gently caress would anyone vote for Jeb Bush? Did you just blank out your memory between 2001 and 2008? Or do you think we need more successful terror attacks, more kidnap torture kill squads, more wars, more intentional inflation of destructive financial bubbles, more bailouts, more crumbling infrastructure, more spies outed for political points, more naked graft, more fictitious and politically motivated lawsuits against other parties, more using counterterror assets against anti war protestors, abuse of eminent domain to seize private assets, more destruction of cities and more private appropriation of public assets?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Christies former bestie is talking to the Feds

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/7/5590690/reports-ex-christie-aide-david-wildstein-talking-to-federal-prosecutor

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Fried Chicken posted:

Gallup has released a new poll on the ACA. Big news is the impact it is having on the number of uninsured - it is down 3.2 percentage points so far

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/7/5589814/more-evidence-obamacare-is-working-gallup-finds-number-of-us

Someone go ahead and drop a "it's working!" Gif here

Put that image of Ron Paul sitting in the folding chair looking sad in the foreground with the flashing lights in the background.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Everyone in alpha house is a member with a different name. It is part of why it is glorious

Not quite everyone. Haven't heard anything close to the Gil Jon speech from any republican politician.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chris Christie posted:

2016 Bush v. Clinton II: Plus ça change

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look, this guy talked out of turn in middle-school social studies, I'm not sure we can trust him.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone vote for Jeb Bush? Did you just blank out your memory between 2001 and 2008?

He was governor of my state from 1999-2006. And he was fine. And I cannot stand Hillary Clinton.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chris Christie posted:

He was governor of my state from 1999-2006. And he was fine. And I cannot stand Hillary Clinton.

How come?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Chris Christie posted:

Do you potentially want more people like Scalia, Thomas, and Alito on the supreme court? If so, vote Jeb, go hog wild.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chris Christie posted:

"Fine" ignores mass voter suppression and abuse of us attorneys for partisan political purposes and private appropriation of public assets. Plus all the other stuff I listed above.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just did some googling and realized that he wasn't joking, Jeb Bush is apparently considering a run?

This is a real thing. In 2016 the best this country can do for a presidential race is Bush v. Clinton II. God help us all.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It probably wouldn't have been a thing if Christie hadn't poo poo the bed. But as a wise man once said, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want or might wish to have at a later time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just did some googling and realized that he wasn't joking, Jeb Bush is apparently considering a run?

This is a real thing. In 2016 the best this country can do for a presidential race is Bush v. Clinton II. God help us all.

Don't look up George P. Bush, who will usher in the next generation of George Bushes being in government.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rauri posted:

Do you potentially want more people like Scalia, Thomas, and Alito on the supreme court? If so, vote Jeb, go hog wild.

Ideally, no, but more people like Ginsburg, Sotamayor, and Kagan could mean tipping the 5-4 balance when it comes to the second amendment. And the 5-4 balance already is against property rights (Kennedy joined the majority in Kelo). The former 3 don't have resumes any more impressive than the latter when it comes to bad decisions and pissing on civil liberties.

When it comes to SCOTUS nominees, it's a wash either way, unless I get selfish and only think about which side's terrible civil liberties rulings are more apt to impact me personally.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

hangedman1984 posted:

Not quite everyone. Haven't heard anything close to the Gil Jon speech from any republican politician.

Gil John is that dude in Oklahoma who just said that making it difficult for women to buy birth control is bullshit because men can buy jimmy hats at any age. "This isn't the republican party I originally joined"

All the left wing websites are blowin up about him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

... I've been posting about it here for a week since Costa started talking it.

His statement on immigration yesterday as an "act of love" is blasted all over brietbart and his support of common core has the nutjobs howling

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

comes along bort posted:

It probably wouldn't have been a thing if Christie hadn't poo poo the bed. But as a wise man once said, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want or might wish to have at a later time.

Eh, Christie's just one of about twenty or thirty up-and-coming Republican pseudostars who have managed to poo poo their own beds one way or another, ranging from Sanford to Rubio to Cruz to Cain. Some of them just fell to the circular firing squad, some are corrupt, some are incompetent. For that matter, the Bushes and Clintons have managed to poo poo their own beds, too, it's just they have enough name recognition to (possibly) get away with it. (To answer the "how has Hillary poo poo the bed? question: 1) loving up health care the first time, 2) supporting the Iraq war, 3) getting beaten by Obama when she should have had it locked up, which doesn't speak well of her competence).

What's the old rephrasing of Orwell? The future history of this country may be a palm slapping a human forehead, forever?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

... I've been posting about it here for a week since Costa started talking it.

His statement on immigration yesterday as an "act of love" is blasted all over brietbart and his support of common core has the nutjobs howling

He and Hillary are besties over Common Core. They recently appeared together in an non-adversarial education discussion.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

His statement on immigration yesterday as an "act of love" . . . has the nutjobs howling

Yes. Yes it does. It was (1) true, and (2) conveniently very politically shrewd. BOY DID I STEP IN IT TRYING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO SOME PEOPLE.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chris Christie posted:

Ideally, no, but more people like Ginsburg, Sotamayor, and Kagan could mean tipping the 5-4 balance when it comes to the second amendment. And the 5-4 balance already is against property rights (Kennedy joined the majority in Kelo). The former 3 don't have resumes any more impressive than the latter when it comes to bad decisions and pissing on civil liberties.

When it comes to SCOTUS nominees, it's a wash either way, unless I get selfish and only think about which side's terrible civil liberties rulings are more apt to impact me personally.
Good news, your money got given a bunch of new civil liberties lately

But more seriously I am sure there are Democratic groups that will be about as pro-2A as you could want, although mysteriously many of them may have gotten flipped in favor of Tea Party maniacs lately.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If Bush wins and the Republicans take the senate, Obamacare's going to get repealed and replaced with nothing, including the Medicaid expansion, no pre existing conditions, and no lifetime maximums. If you have a soul that really shouldn't be cool with you.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chris Christie posted:

Now, I hope you understand that I'm saying this as a gun owning democrat (that loves the poo poo out of trap shooting), but really shut the gently caress up about the god drat second amendment.

:toxx: No one is going to take your loving guns while Hillary is in office if she wins in 2016.*

e:*Provided you're not committing felonies or things like that.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 7, 2014

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Monkey Fracas posted:

The "Ohhh yeah charitable contributions will totally make up for our attempted welfare/public works budget slashing!" thing is pretty infuriating to me because they're sort of tacitly approving welfare/public works stuff as a Good Thing (which would get them crucified by their base) while simultaneously gleefully hamstringing or destroying the programs.

It's the "of course helping people is good but I'm supposed to do that because I WANT to not because the government steals my money and does it in a horribly inefficient, wasteful manner!" defense.

A Winner is Jew posted:

:toxx: No one is going to take your loving guns while Hillary is in office if she wins in 2016.

Countdown to someone committing a felony, losing their guns and insisting you be toxxed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lemming posted:

If Bush wins and the Republicans take the senate, Obamacare's going to get repealed and replaced with nothing, including the Medicaid expansion, no pre existing conditions, and no lifetime maximums. If you have a soul that really shouldn't be cool with you.

If bush wins I'm going to end up in a rubber room drawing with crayons held between my toes, coo-ing softly to myself. I will be drawing pictures of a happy world, one where people are able to learn from their god damned mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Lemming posted:

That's really pretty unlikely. Dismantling the ACA at this point would be a massive undertaking, since all the funding and programs are already in place. It'd be way, way harder than passing it in the first place, even if they had near-complete control of all the branches. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but it would be really unpopular and would require dozens of individual bills, at the very least. Something that big gets entrenched almost immediately, which was why they put so much effort into blocking it in the first place.

• Locked thread