Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Momplestiltskin posted:

It certainly happens, but that can happen even if you jump to the next sector too. This is one of the many reasons I prefer to get a teleporter and just take out crew every time. You will often get huge amounts of fuel from boarding. I completed a test run on our Lanius ship last night where I managed to get a teleporter in sector 1, and I never once purchased fuel, ended the game with about 36 fuel. Of course, sometimes even with boarding you are still unlucky. It's not the end of the world to run out, but it's often very very bad.
The teleporter with the Lanius is ridiculous. You fire off the hacking drone to the area you want to attack and then teleport the crew. The hacking drone delays the crew to the point where by the time they get in your Lanius have sucked the air dry of air.

Momplestiltskin posted:

It's a really good use. I want to experiment more. I think for most ships this is true, but later in the game, and especially the boss, they still have decent dodge without a pilot. Still, very effective way to use it.
I want to try this out sometime because it sounds ridiculous but apparently you can teleport mind controlled enemies off their ship and if they don't have a teleporter they are stuck there.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Turns out you need you can teleport the same guy you kept on mind controlling in the boss ship out of the room if you have the teleporter.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 11, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kirenski posted:

Blue options are your friend, I think with that if you have a level 2 medbay or a slug you can get out of that with Charlie!
There is at least one blue option that given the right circumstances can royally screw you over. Its kind of a hilarious blue scenario too because its not readily evident as to why its blue.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Or a clone bay. Clone bays are fantastic for avoiding all the "whoops you just lost a crewmember" effects. Sure, you don't "win" the encounter, but you didn't lose either!
There are also quite a few events that actually state you can't clone them.

Panboy posted:

One thing that I find funny in this game is you are almost always punished for trying to be nice, You find a mentally I'll man alone on an asteroid you take him aboard to find him help, He triggers the air lock and blasts himself and half your crew into space.

This game is very mean.
I believe the only way to get the Zoltan Shield's or an uber crew member is to actually be nice.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 16, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Just to let you know you really should be hacking doors as it will give you enough time to sap the entire room of air without taking any damage before the boarders arrive.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

This can be a good strategy, but I don't think you are correct for most of the situations I've been in. Many of them had missiles I wanted to delay as long as possible, and others had clone bays that were necessary to take down for their deaths to stick. With the clone boy, ensuring that the O2 is gone first is not as important because even if our Lanius die they will come right back. I would only hack the doors if they had no medical facilities and no weapons that threaten me.
I forgot hacking doors only does that temporarily unlike the subsystem that you hacked.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 16, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

e: I do appreciate the tip, sorry if I came off as hostile. That was not my intention.
Don't worry about it. With this game its pretty much a matter of playstyle more than there is any single "correct" tactic.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

My main problem with the clone bay is that if a stray missile or ion intruder (*shakes fist) hits it at the wrong time, you are gonna have a bad time. With the medbay you can typically teleport your guys back at low hp or just run them away until you can do so. If you happen to need to clone someone and they are in the queue when it's hit, well sorry friend but you just lost your man.
Early on that is a problem but along the way you should be able to find the DNA Bank Augmentation which pretty much renders that disadvantage null.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 16, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Invenerable posted:

Engi B, because you're clearly not frustrated enough when you play this game.
If you want frustrating you want the Federation Cruiser C. At least with the Engi B you actually have weapons.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

For the love of god here is a helpful hint. If you do not have cloning bays make sure you absolutely positively upgrade oxygen. There is a nonzero chance that the hacking drone will hack your oxygen levels making it a distinct possibility that it wipe out your entire crew.

Veloxyll posted:

RO being in the Fed Cruiser C. And getting a Zoltan ship up 1st

The fed C is heavily armed. With manpower. 2 Zoltans AND a mantis. you can board tons of ships!

Unless they have super shields. :((
I actually take back what I said earlier. Its looks like its a slightly worst off configuration of the Mantis C.
EDIT:
Its only real weakness is that it needs a Zoltan Bypass Shield to beat the final boss.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 19, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Also, one of my first runs had the flagship hacking my O2. Since I had the clonebay and managed to take out their weapons in time, it ended up an incredible meat grinder of a fight where everyone on my ship was trapped in an endless cycle of death and resurrection. Still won in the end, though, even with the boarders in phase three - vented my entire ship, and the cloning bay resurrected them faster than they could kill them off.
I can't for the life of me believe that out of the few times I beat the game I managed to do it with a Fed Cruiser C with no weapons and with the flagship hacking level 1 O2. I think by the end of it I managed to kill the crew off so many times that they a lot of them went from gold skills back to a default of 0 skill level.

Momplestiltskin posted:

Spoiler regarding Episode Fourteen

I think I made quite a few mistakes in this run. My goal was to eliminate all but one crew and make every stage after stage 1 trivial. Unfortunately I overestimated my defenses and the effect hacking my O2 would have. I think it's safe to say that Advanced Edition is significantly harder than pre-AE. I could have won this fight with a different strategy, but that's the way it goes!
I think for the most part its actually a bit easier in AE. Its just that with AE you have so many more mechanics to work with that if you aren't familiar with them you will end up forgetting how the work at the worst possible time like with what you did with Mind control.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The main criminal here is Rebel droneships, which completely invalidate boarding*, mind control, and fire weapons, and make traditional beam weapons, Flak weapons, and "Hull" weapons notably less effective due to their spaced-out rooms and lack of rooms with no system in them. Your only option against droneships is to beat their hull down, which just isn't all that interesting.

* Barring Lanius, or technically an upgraded teleporter can retrieve your crew before they asphyxiate but they won't accomplish a whole lot in that time.
With all drone ship configurations the Glaive beam only requires one shot to disable them as desite even with the worst configuration you always guaranteed to hit three rooms. Also, the Federation Cruiser C's default configuration is designed to board any enemy ship including drones as its one of three that start off with Emergency Respirators.

Doopliss posted:

But yes, I wish there was a way you could run gimmick ships without having so many archetypes that you're completely helpless against.
I think with the stealth ships you just aren't supposed to run straight into battle. It seems like the intended tactic is to swerve around all the combatants and just use the events to gather scrap till you get a shield.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 22, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Worst layout definitely goes to the Zoltan A. If you think Stealth B is hard to vent, holy poo poo. One serious fire can genuinely be game-ending on the Zoltan A.
Someone's never played with Rock B then because it if that is your criteria then not only is the ship unventable but because it lacks a Door subsystem fires will spread like crazy.

Red_October_7000 posted:

I think it's fair to say it is one.
Its fundamentally still based upon the roguelike genre meaning that not having a save system is all right.

RabidWeasel posted:

IIRC it's statistically the worst ship, as in if you add together the value of all its stuff it has the lowest scrap value. It's boring AND it sucks.
Scrap value is utterly useless because in some ships you start off with systems that you can't get otherwise (Kestrel B, Stealth C, Federation Cruisers A/B/C) and in other cases the rarity of certain parts of the ship probably outweigh their scrap value (Lanius are a pain in the rear end to come by).

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 28, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Highwang posted:

I think the suicide bomber build is really good. It starts off rough but man it builds up quick due to the bonus from killing the crew rather than the ship.
Also for the most part suicide bombing isn't that horrible of a tactic in that once you upgrade teleporters you can pretty much get your boarding crew up to snuff using the drone ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

Have I not suffered enough?
No. Beat the game on normal with one of the ways I have. Federation Cruiser C no weapons beyond the Flak Cannon you get at the start. :getin:

• Locked thread